Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ah thanks for setting me straight. :)

As a MNR, BSM, DRG, FSH, CUL, I have tons of crap and my 2 retainers are near full. I guess I could pay for more... :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Ah thanks for setting me straight. :)

As a MNR, BSM, DRG, FSH, CUL, I have tons of crap and my 2 retainers are near full. I guess I could pay for more... :/

It's not really worth saving a lot of crafting materials. Keep on hand what you need right now or will need soon and sell the rest. The small cost of having to buy-back or re-gather later is worth the sanity from having cleaner inventory/retainers. You will be surprised at how much of that junk you won't ever use again.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

CrashScreen posted:

The Chocobo Raising preview is out, and it seems interesting. Looks like you'll be able to increase the maximum rank to 20 (and probably achieve it as early as next year). It looks like you can even raise someone else's Chocobo if they're in your FC? Seems kinda neat to me.

Everyone's missing the important part here: Literal poo poo-cleaning duties. We should assign it to whoever the slowest learner of Football School is :v: (That'll be me if I ever reach the end game)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Majumbo posted:

It's not really worth saving a lot of crafting materials. Keep on hand what you need right now or will need soon and sell the rest. The small cost of having to buy-back or re-gather later is worth the sanity from having cleaner inventory/retainers. You will be surprised at how much of that junk you won't ever use again.

Additionally a lot of the stuff you have in your inventory is on the market board for the sell price or lower. You can just sell or discard most things you have on you.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

RuanGacho posted:

For those of you thinking about it, both PBC and DGKK have online populations about the same as when 2.2 came out, and we are most definitely in the most dead time in the patch cycle.

We fully expect 2.3 to be the most populated time the game has seen since the initial launch and my personal speculation is we will see PBC break 50% fc online once again.

Eorzea lives.

Don't take me as naysaying or anything, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you guys think that this patch in particular is going to be so popular. It just seems like a standard 2.X patch to me, which is good mind you, the major patches have all been great as far as content, but I don't see anything that says, "This is the patch people will resub for."

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Velthice posted:

Don't take me as naysaying or anything, but I'm genuinely curious as to why you guys think that this patch in particular is going to be so popular. It just seems like a standard 2.X patch to me, which is good mind you, the major patches have all been great as far as content, but I don't see anything that says, "This is the patch people will resub for."

Because of something called the content cycle.

New patch is released -> people sub for a month -> month runs out, they finished the new content -> less people around, so subbed players go on hiatus until next patch -> New patch is released.

This is something that's readily observable in basically every WoW style game ever.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Velthice posted:

It's the pattern we've seen with the previous two patches. It's also an odd-numbered patch, which are the ones with more casual content.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

Because of something called the content cycle.

New patch is released -> people sub for a month -> month runs out, they finished the new content -> less people around, so subbed players go on hiatus until next patch -> New patch is released.

This is something that's readily observable in basically every WoW style game ever.

Oh no, I understand that fully. The part I don't get is people saying that this will be equivalent to what it was like at launch.

Edit:

The Chairman posted:

It's the pattern we've seen with the previous two patches. It's also an odd-numbered patch, which are the ones with more casual content.

That's all I was really looking for, thanks.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
There's also that free weekend thing. Should bring at least some people back into the game.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Additionally a lot of the stuff you have in your inventory is on the market board for the sell price or lower. You can just sell or discard most things you have on you.

Depends on what it is. A lot of common mob drops (skins/teeth/whatever) sell for like 10g tops, but occasionally you find something really weird that's actually worth more than you'd think. It's still probably only going to net you 500g unless you're sitting on a rare crafting mat and don't know it, but it still might be worth it to just open the "sell on the market board" menu and throw poo poo up to check on prices if you're cleaning out your inventory anyway.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?
I was thinking about giving this another shot. Did they ever fix the AoE delay issue they had at release?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

tehfeer posted:

I was thinking about giving this another shot. Did they ever fix the AoE delay issue they had at release?

One of the very first patches fixed that.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Changing the delay of movement updates from 0.3 to 0.1 seconds did a lot to convince people there was an issue and that it was fixed.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Velthice posted:

That's all I was really looking for, thanks.

To add, we're just seeing higher player retention in the lower time, based on the people we know who are still subbed and just waiting for the patch to drop and the amount of players we have on right now, our player count goes up an average of 50-100 players or so when a new patch drops, which puts us in the ball park I described.

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014

Fozzie Bear posted:

Wouldn't second coil be the definition of difficult bosses that give better loot? There are two pretty clear gearing paths, one grindy and one shorter with difficult mechanics.

Coil is definitely an alternative but it's limited to once a week atm, and even if you can clear it you might not get the drop / lose the lot. If clearing coil gave a 100% item used to upgrade a weapon to everyone then that's more along the lines I was thinking. Might sound like you're being handed a weapon but try getting turn 6-9 done with someone outside of your FC.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Rohypnol Blitz posted:

Coil is definitely an alternative but it's limited to once a week atm, and even if you can clear it you might not get the drop / lose the lot. If clearing coil gave a 100% item used to upgrade a weapon to everyone then that's more along the lines I was thinking. Might sound like you're being handed a weapon but try getting turn 6-9 done with someone outside of your FC.

You have unreal expectations. Also this does occur for the Extreme primal weapons.

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014

Belzac posted:

You have unreal expectations. Also this does occur for the Extreme primal weapons.

You're right. I think it's just because my FC doesn't do any end game content so I'm limited to party finder. What's the requirements for joining DGKK/PBC?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Rohypnol Blitz posted:

You're right. I think it's just because my FC doesn't do any end game content so I'm limited to party finder. What's the requirements for joining DGKK/PBC?

ffgoons.com posted:

Sponsored members
If you want to sponsor someone into the FCs:
Have your friend sign up for FFgoons
Send me a PM, talk to me on IRC or message me in-game telling me what name they signed up as
I'll activate their account and then they can apply in-game as usual

I'll sponsor you for 1 million gil.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Goons looking for east coast static for 2.3 and beyond I'm creating a new one, check out thread: http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27399

Rohypnol Blitz
May 12, 2014

Belzac posted:

I'll sponsor you for 1 million gil.

And to think I just spent that last million on a baby opo-opo gosh darn it.

Herr Shitlord
May 2, 2008

I feel so much butter!
I never thought I'd see this in a level 41 dungeon, but:

My Stone Vigil party has dissolved twice so far because of bad healers in Stone Vigil. Is this dungeon a big level check for healer classes, or??

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Saint Seafoam posted:

My Stone Vigil party has dissolved twice so far because of bad healers in Stone Vigil. Is this dungeon a big level check for healer classes, or??

Stone Vigil is realistically the first dungeon in the game with a lot of really blind, lovely pulls and ambushes that take parties by surprise. To make it managable literally everyone has to be on the ball, or you clear out small sections, establish it as a sort of 'beachhead' and let the tank run ahead to pull mobs back into it by using empty rooms as safe spaces to fight in. Gauge the strengths and weaknesses of your party on the first 2-3 pulls and then decide how cautious you want to be.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Saint Seafoam posted:

It can be a bit of a level check/gear check on both the healer and tank. A poorly geared tank who doesn't bother dodging anything will take a ton of damage and the healer will have to be on the ball to keep them healed.

So it's not so much a level check for healers, but it can definitely catch new healers unaware, since they'll have to be more on-the-ball than in any previous dungeon. And a bad tank can make their job even harder.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Stone Vigil was the first dungeon I ran into while healing that caught me off guard and was legitimately difficult (Brayflox was tricky but only because Scholar doesn't have Leeches if you're running it at-level for the story). The triple-drake pulls can be brutal even if you're doing it right, and there's lots of potential for accidental adds from patrols or damage spikes from the dragon if the party is fighting in the wrong parts of the halls.

Usually it's unnecessary but if sleep is available then use it on the drake fights.

slightlyslow
Aug 19, 2002
Cheer up, emo kid.
Wow, never seen a queue to join the Excalibur server before. I guess that's a good sign.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tortolia posted:

(Brayflox was tricky but only because Scholar doesn't have Leeches if you're running it at-level for the story).
You get level synced out of Leeches even if you've gotten it, in fact.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Saint Seafoam posted:

It is a bit of a level check, yes. There are also many surprise spawns and opportunities to make bad pulls thanks to patrols. If your tank is cavalier and/or stupid and pulls everything in the worst way possible, it will be brutal. If your tank is cautious and/or intelligent it will be much better.

That said, HURR OVERPOWER OVERPOWER HURR

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Use more CC. There's a reason you get Tri Disaster/Sleep/Repose, use it. Or get overgeared and AoE everything to death.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
The last side room in Vigil in particular can be nasty for healers, although more experienced tanks will generally flat out avoid that one.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
There's one unavoidable three wyvern pull, and that's the last one before the end boss, the others are either patrols you can split or contain mobs vulnerable to CC (wyverns aren't). Not that It will help when you are the CC and the tank / dps take it as a mission to hit mobs right after sleep, or when you are the tank and the CC doesn't even know they have something useful in the spellbook.

I leveled WAR as my first class and I have died literally every time on the side room with 2x Wyvern + 2x elementals near the end. Cooldowns didn't seem to help.

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

RuanGacho posted:

For those of you thinking about it, both PBC and DGKK have online populations about the same as when 2.2 came out, and we are most definitely in the most dead time in the patch cycle.

We fully expect 2.3 to be the most populated time the game has seen since the initial launch and my personal speculation is we will see PBC break 50% fc online once again.

Eorzea lives.

I'd like to know if a shitballing noob such as myself would be tolerated. I haven't played this since launch, at which time I played for approximately 10 minutes before turning the game off forever.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

zwdzk posted:

I'd like to know if a shitballing noob such as myself would be tolerated. I haven't played this since launch, at which time I played for approximately 10 minutes before turning the game off forever.

If you come in with a decent attitude and are willing to learn we'll except you with open arms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of Stone Vigil.

My finest BLM moment. I will never reach this level of greatness again.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That said, HURR OVERPOWER OVERPOWER HURR

My go to strat as a newbie MRD.

For some reason my TP's always low. :rolleye:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

zwdzk posted:

DGKK always welcomes new people. Hell, just had a ton of new people join thanks to the recent Steam/Amazon sales.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
...well, I woke up this morning after getting DC'd last night to get on, and my subscription had ended overnight. No biggie, yeah? I used Crysta last month to pay for it, I can do it this time too. I add the Crysta, and head on over to the Mog Station, where they button to pay with Crysta is now gone.

Under Account Services, of the buttons there, the only one that says "Subscription Payment" is "Steam Wallet." I've been searching and clicking around Mog Station and the Account page for near 20 minutes, and I can't find the ability to use my Crysta to re-sub at all.

I've sent a support ticket to SE, but...do any of you know what's going on, or why this would happen?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Full patch notes are available now.

zwdzk posted:

Both guilds still get a lot of new players, especially recently; I know the comparison seems a little :rolleye: sometimes, but I haven't see anything quite like it since vanilla Warcraft. You will have no trouble fitting in to either group (although DGKK is currently geared a little more toward helping our newer members while PBC is composed more of 1.0 and ARR launch veterans), especially if you're willing to learn and improve. To this day, either group will run "relic trains" for new 50s at the drop of a hat (I.E., help people finish their relic weapon quest).

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Domitor is a dumb title

It's dumb and I hate it but will do anything to get it

zwdzk
Dec 12, 2012

smug

SpaceDrake posted:

Full patch notes are available now.

Both guilds still get a lot of new players, especially recently; I know the comparison seems a little :rolleye: sometimes, but I haven't see anything quite like it since vanilla Warcraft. You will have no trouble fitting in to either group (although DGKK is currently geared a little more toward helping our newer members while PBC is composed more of 1.0 and ARR launch veterans), especially if you're willing to learn and improve. To this day, either group will run "relic trains" for new 50s at the drop of a hat (I.E., help people finish their relic weapon quest).

Yeah, this definitely sounds like what I've been looking for. If it's anything like those oldschool MMOs, I'll probably be happy with it. I was just reading about the fishing system, and that alone has me excited. Now I just need to figure out which casting class I want to show my incompetence with.

I'm hoping there's a good exploratory aspect to the game as well.

zwdzk fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

quote:

Thaumaturge

Fire Potency has been increased from 150 to 170.
Blizzard Potency has been increased from 150 to 170.
Fire III Potency has been increased from 220 to 240.
Blizzard III Potency has been increased from 220 to 240.

Black Mage

Apocatastasis The effect has been changed to reduce a party member's magic vulnerability by 20%.
Recast time has been increased from 120 to 180 seconds.
Manawall Effect duration has been reduced from 60 to 20 seconds.

These changes were exactly what I was hoping for, just flat potency buffs without any change to mobility or the current BLM meta-game. SE makes good balancing decisions, mobility buffs would of just killed the only fun, skillful part of BLM play.

• Locked thread