Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

So...have you ever watched a Nadal - Federer match before? They tend to be pretty awesome.

I always feel like the air of inevitability surrounding a Nadal - Federer match ends up ruining them even if the tennis is good. I'd be fine never seeing another one again, although granted I wasn't following tennis during the golden years of the rivalry so I'm not attached to it much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

So...have you ever watched a Nadal - Federer match before? They tend to be pretty awesome.

They tend to be garbage as Federer cannot deal with high ball bounce of Nadal's shots. It's a bad match up for Federer and the records don't lie; 33 matches, 23 wins for Nadal.

Jose posted:

Who are the upcoming tennis players I should know about? I only really follow it during the majors and obviously followed Kyrgios yesterday.

A couple of other people worth mentioning briefly:

Kei Nishikori - he's improving all the time but he sure gets injured a lot.

Dominic Thiem - 20 years old and in the top 60.

Belinda Bencic - 17 years old, coached by Hingis' mother and is going to zoom up the rankings.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Kei, and him getting injured against Nadal was about the maddest I've been at sports in a long time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

I always feel like the air of inevitability surrounding a Nadal - Federer match ends up ruining them even if the tennis is good. I'd be fine never seeing another one again, although granted I wasn't following tennis during the golden years of the rivalry so I'm not attached to it much.

The '08 Wimbledon final was one of the best matches I've ever watched.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Federer/Roddick was better than any Federal/Nadal final and that's the bottom line

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Federer/Roddick was better than any Federal/Nadal final and that's the bottom line

'08 final was so much better than the '09 final.

Federer/Roddick was just holding serve forever until Roddick finally broke down. There was no real drama or back and forth. And everyone knew Roddick couldn't win.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Roddick deserved that Wimbledon :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Roddick deserved that Wimbledon :(
Roger Federer: truly the greatest villain

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Kilson posted:

'08 final was so much better than the '09 final.

Federer/Roddick was just holding serve forever until Roddick finally broke down. There was no real drama or back and forth. And everyone knew Roddick couldn't win.

Are you kidding, that's exactly why it had so much drama. Roddick had to play beyond what we and he thought he was capable of and sustain it. watching him pound back and forth, sweat pouring off him covered in dirt and grinding out another game, juxtaposed with the camera cutting to Federer wiping a solitary bead of sweat off his forehead before it could sully his pristene whites was like a classical greek poem. And roddick got so close. Best final in my opinion for drama if not for the tennis.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Genie takes the first set tiebreaker :getin:

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Genie takes the first set tiebreaker :getin:

And Halep seems to think too much in the start of the second. Awful game, Genie breaks.

EDIT Goddamn Genie! So good :canada:

fancyclown fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 3, 2014

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

That first set was unbearably tense. Sad how Halep has fallen off.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

VS

This final is going to be awesome!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Prediction: a blond will win

Also hey Sheldon guy you are coming off just a little creepy there stalking our spectacular Canadian tennis person

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
My prediction: boring tennis, unless the first set of Bouchard vs Halep was markedly better than the second. I'm glad it's two young players, though, and I'm rooting for Bouchard.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH

Bilirubin posted:

Also hey Sheldon guy you are coming off just a little creepy there stalking our spectacular Canadian tennis person

They are friends in real life in one of the oddest pairings I've seen. Apparently, he emails her after matches. Imagine if LeBron was real life friends with the kid who plays Bran on Game of Thrones, and then he emailed him after every game.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Tyree posted:

They are friends in real life in one of the oddest pairings I've seen. Apparently, he emails her after matches. Imagine if LeBron was real life friends with the kid who plays Bran on Game of Thrones, and then he emailed him after every game.

So that's why Eddie redmayne was at Murray's game.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I was an idiot and bought an online streaming service for Wimbledon for 20 € :doh:

All my favourite players are gone already.
Tsonga (to be expected, really), Kerber, and Lisicki. And I haven't even watched matches apart from Djokovic vs. Tsonga, the result of which was to be expected as usual. I swear to god it's always Djokovic there to stop the man. Even Murray dropped, I hoped him to make it far.

I liked Tsonga's cheekiness in Wimbledon 2 years ago, his way of utilizing dive volley and rushing to the net was extremely entertaining. :allears: In a totally heterosexual way I like that the guy has more mass than your "average pro" tennis player, guy is handsome.

I'd cheer on Bouchard for being the young upstart but uh she wants to date Justin Bieber. :stare: Okay, perhaps it's a joke gone for a bit too long? Hopefully?

edit: Yeah, definitely, my domestic press was really bad about the headlines.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Jim Parsons is gay, so that alone makes it different than the stereotype of a predatory neckbeard stalking a starlet.

Also they're actually friends. He was in her box against Cornet. Not all inter-gender attention is ominous.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

If the good Kvitova shows up and Bouchard isn't overwhelmed by the occasion (which is difficult to imagine happening) it should be a good final I think. I'm of two minds about Bouchard. I really like her composure on the court and her tennis is fun to watch, but at the same time her level of focus and determination to succeed is almost Terminator-like, which makes her a bit less personable and maybe less likeable. I've cooled off on her a bit since the Aussie Open, and though I certainly won't begrudge her a win tomorrow I'm 100% rooting for Kvitova.

The men's side is fun since I can see any combination of finalists being a good match and the narrative is nice with the 50-50 split of two of the old/current guard and two up-and-comers. Maybe Djokovic vs Raonic is the least exciting final, although Raonic played him close in Rome and on paper on grass he could actually have a decent chance. Probably Djokovic's to lose, but it'd be great to see Dimitrov in the final.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

Murray knows what's up

spamman posted:

I used to play poker with one of the head chefs that worked at the Australian Open (this would have been around '10-11) and apparently managed a lot of the food for the players. He was telling me stories about how he'd get these incredibly specific lists of food that had come from guys like Federer and Nadal's nutritionists that would be along the lines of 200g of x kind of pasta, 250g of this kind of lettuce and what have you. Apparently Murray would just come in and order three cheeseburgers and a pile of chips.

Now that's all anecdotal second hand stuff, but I thought it was funny.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
Hoping for some good matches today and I would argue that there isn't a clear favourite for either of them. I was talking to a friend who mentioned that it would be quite amusing if Federer got to 18 majors and tied with Jack Nicklaus before Tiger Woods got there.

Although Raonic might be a danger as he could power Fed off the court like whats happened over the last several years with Berdych/Tsonga.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I'm not sure Raonic is good enough from the back of the court to do what Tsonga or Berdych did. He's improved his groundstrokes a lot but he's still mostly just a serve. If Federer can get into the rally, I think he might be able to pull it back into his favor with his variety and better movement.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

I'm not sure if it's Dimitrov that's playing great or Djokovic being below par now. Maybe a combination.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Djokovic has had these dips in form during matches recently. Reminds me of Federer a few years ago when he'd always disappear for a few games or a whole set and make it unnecessarily harder on himself. Maybe Dimitrov's also finally adjusted to the wind a bit.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Djokovic is making some strange shot choices. You know it's not going well for him when he goes to the net voluntarily.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

This is a really ugly match between two guys who can play way better. I hope Dimitrov can at least take it to a fifth if not win. I don't know if he'll even be able to keep from serving doubles though.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Djokovic screaming like a madman after every point in that hold and just crushed the hell out of an overhead. Can't tell what the deal is with him.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

If anyone was wondering why Dimitrov hasn't been more successful I hope that question has been answered. He double faulted three times in a row in one game and then double faulted when about to grab a set.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Never seen the players fall as many times as that during a match before. Djokovic looked far from convincing and his recent record in major finals has got to be on his mind.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

charismaslover posted:

Never seen the players fall as many times as that during a match before. Djokovic looked far from convincing and his recent record in major finals has got to be on his mind.

Both of them had terrible looking footwork it seemed and were just not moving very well.

Dimitrov's one hand backhand seemed pretty strong, but maybe it's due to the low bouncing grass and it's not against nadal.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

Sodium Chloride posted:

If anyone was wondering why Dimitrov hasn't been more successful I hope that question has been answered. He double faulted three times in a row in one game and then double faulted when about to grab a set.

It's true that Dimitrov was poo poo in parts of the match but it's not like title winner Djokovic looked good. He also double faulted a few times to blow big points. I mean hell Djokovic gifted the break right back to Dimitrov after that three double faults game. To be honest, this was one of the hardest matches I've ever had to watch. So much bad play and cow on ice like movement made it a chore.

Mandoira
Jul 27, 2003

There are four kinds of Homicide: felonious, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy.
It looked pretty windy, no? I only saw the 4th set. I thought Dimitrov looked pretty gassed compared to Djokovic.

Come on Roger :getin:

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Get that baby out of Centre Court! Why would you bring a baby to watch tennis.

Conditions are difficult. Warm and windy and the ground is dusty with less grip than usual.

ChaosReaper posted:

It's true that Dimitrov was poo poo in parts of the match but it's not like title winner Djokovic looked good.

Hey, Djokovic hasn't won this tournament yet. I pointed out Dimitrov as he did the clusters of double faults last year against Djokovic too and then did something similar a couple of weeks later against Murray.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I hope Federer is this sharp on Sunday (if he wins this). Should have the crowd behind him, which frequently annoys Djokovic. He could actually win.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah that was pretty uncompetitive. Milos just had nothing to threaten Federer with aside from the first serve.

Fed looked pretty sharp, he was ripping some of those one-handed backhands down the line like he used to. Would love to see him win on Sunday.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005

People were saying that they thought Raonic could beat Federer with his improved ground game. Maybe he was having an off day but he still had loving nothing for Federer once the ball came back in most cases.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
christ, Connors on the BBC post-match analysis.. I never knew he had such hairy hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

ChaosReaper posted:

People were saying that they thought Raonic could beat Federer with his improved ground game. Maybe he was having an off day but he still had loving nothing for Federer once the ball came back in most cases.

It just looked like a difference in class to me (at least today, not necessarily if they played on another day/another surface). Raonic could do enough to stay with Federer, but never really pressure him; each set was either going to stay even or move in Federer's favor, which inevitable meant that Fed would get opportunities to win sets where Raonic wouldn't.

• Locked thread