Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Volkerball posted:

They have lessons you know.

Is that a giant knife? It looks like something out of IS final fantasy.

Section 31 posted:

^^
Who (man on the right) ?

Horrible, don't see :nms::nws:

so they are going after the kurds now? i thought they had a "truce" with Kurdistan? I have a friend in Kurdistan. So now i am worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The Kurds can look after themselves. In fact, after those postings they are probably even more eager to do some looking-after.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crap, ISIS has gunblade technology!

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

FlamingLiberal posted:

Crap, ISIS has gunblade technology!

We're doomed as soon as they co-opt the genies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sithsaber posted:

We're doomed as soon as they co-opt the genies.

They'll just get depressed, lower their update frequency, and eventually close the thread and get banned by Allowtax. So there is still hope! :shobon:

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They'll just get depressed, lower their update frequency, and eventually close the thread and get banned by Allowtax. So there is still hope! :shobon:

Wait, are you saying ISIS has displayed on site forums activity?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pengun101 posted:

Is that a giant knife? It looks like something out of IS final fantasy.

It's a custom butcher's knife.

(this is 18 inches/440mm, they get bigger)

e; and of course it could also be a prop but, y'know, goes without saying i'd hope. "Big knives exist" is the extent of my point

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 6, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sithsaber posted:

Wait, are you saying ISIS has displayed on site forums activity?

They said they were going to do it once a week, but they kept finding excuses to postpone it, and Allowtax got tired of their excuses.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Al-Saqr posted:

I just watched the sermon by Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, the self proclaimed caliphate. This guy is about as impressive as a wet fart. really uninspiring and every bit as boring as I feared he would be.

but dammit to hell, those crazies have some drat good HD cameras that's for sure.

So how mad do you think they're gonna be when the Muslim world doesn't exactly flock to their side?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A well known Syrian actress was killed when an artillery shell hit her home. Ironically, she had just acted in a drama TV show about finding love in the Syrian civil war:
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2014/06/28/pkg-king-syria-actress-killed.cnn.html

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

illrepute posted:

So how mad do you think they're gonna be when the Muslim world doesn't exactly flock to their side?

Well when ISIS succeeds in blowing up some real prominent Shiite religious sites like the Golden mosque in Samarra, there's going to be some pretty brutal revenge acts committed on Sunnis by Shiite militias or whoever supports them. When that starts happening, guess who those Sunnis are going to flock to for protection?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

Charliegrs posted:

Well when ISIS succeeds in blowing up some real prominent Shiite religious sites like the Golden mosque in Samarra, there's going to be some pretty brutal revenge acts committed on Sunnis by Shiite militias or whoever supports them. When that starts happening, guess who those Sunnis are going to flock to for protection?

fingers crossed

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Charliegrs posted:

Would Iran just go full in then?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Would Iran just go full in then?

I think there will be a reactivation of the Mahdi army before you see any Iranian boots on the ground (in large numbers) There's plenty that the Iranians can do by proxy. They are smart enough to not send their army into Iraq because god knows what would happen after that. Who knows how they would be received? Even in supposedly "friendly" Shiite areas. After all, this is the same army that the Iraqis spent the entire 80s fighting.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
So, out of curiosity, how many people live under IS control anyway? 3-4 million, including Mosul's 2 million?

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012
Here is allegedly the first edition of ISIS/IS' magazine for you, titled Dabiq.

pengun101 posted:

so they are going after the kurds now? i thought they had a "truce" with Kurdistan? I have a friend in Kurdistan. So now i am worried.
There are minor skirmishes between ISIS and Kurds in Iraq and Syria, but ISIS had mostly chosen to avoid Kurdish territory. I don't think ISIS wanted to invoke the wrath of Kurdish forces because after all they're not Iraqi forces that suddenly melt down when faced with ISIS. Also like SedanChair mentioned, the Kurds can pretty much take care themselves.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Section 31 posted:

Here is allegedly the first edition of ISIS/IS' magazine for you, titled Dabiq.
I hope that it turns out to be a CIA product. There is something about it that hurts my brain - it feels like those early 2000s fan translations of manga that got turned into memes because they decided not to translate half of the words? 'Just according to keikaku', I think, was one of them?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

meristem posted:

I hope that it turns out to be a CIA product. There is something about it that hurts my brain - it feels like those early 2000s fan translations of manga that got turned into memes because they decided not to translate half of the words? 'Just according to keikaku', I think, was one of them?
(Translator's note: Jihad means struggle.)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jesus Horse posted:

nails are more poetic, being a carpenter and all.

Driving nails through your body is also more dehumanizing than just tying you onto something.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Driving nails through your body is also more dehumanizing than just tying you onto something.

Yeah, nails are basically just the extra gently caress you cherry on top of the crucifixion sundae.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

meristem posted:

So, out of curiosity, how many people live under IS control anyway? 3-4 million, including Mosul's 2 million?

At least. They control vast swathes of the Raqqah and Deir Ez Zour governorates in Syria, which each have over a million residents, along with the similarly sized provinces of Anbar and Saladin in Iraq. Then you have their territory in places like the Kirkuk countryside, or Manbij east of Aleppo (prewar pop. ~100k). And, of course, you have their holdings in Ninawa/Mosul. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if they topped 5 million.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so has nothing happened int he last few days, or are we just on media blackout because of a three day weekend

last we heard there was an active fight for tikrit

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I see ISIS has decided to do some renovating of their captured territory. I'm sure that will endear them to the locals.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I see ISIS has decided to do some renovating of their captured territory. I'm sure that will endear them to the locals.

I'm gonna guess that the M.O. of every remotely intelligent local in that territory is to stay the hell out of the way lest they cut off your head just because they're having a bad day. Ruthless brutality is a tragically effective tool for keeping people in line (to a point).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but what the hell is up with up with the shape of the circle in ISIS's flag? Is there a reason why it's not a perfect circle?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 6, 2014

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Kurtofan posted:

I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but what the hell is up with up with the shape of the circle in ISIS's flag? Is there a reason why it's not a perfect circle?

It's deliberately crude because its based off some sort of minted coin in the 8th century, either Ummayad or Abassid. I think at least. The Ummayads were kind of racist dicks.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

MothraAttack posted:

At least. They control vast swathes of the Raqqah and Deir Ez Zour governorates in Syria, which each have over a million residents, along with the similarly sized provinces of Anbar and Saladin in Iraq. Then you have their territory in places like the Kirkuk countryside, or Manbij east of Aleppo (prewar pop. ~100k). And, of course, you have their holdings in Ninawa/Mosul. All in all, I wouldn't be surprised if they topped 5 million.

If you're relying on old pop figures, you probably need to drop it a minimum of 25% to account for displacement.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, it's a rough estimate at best and I lowballed it a bit since there's so many unknowables. Tikrit is pretty much vacant and the population from anywhere east of Aleppo to Raqqa is anyone's guess, among other variables.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StabbinHobo posted:

so has nothing happened int he last few days, or are we just on media blackout because of a three day weekend

ISIS have been fighting Kurds in rojava, back in Syria. Seems to be their primary front at the moment.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
So someone carried out airstrikes in Mosul overnight, but no one's taking responsibility.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7353_story.html

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Usually these things get chalked up to Israel, don't they? Mysterious bombing runs, I mean.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
All of them so far have been against Hezbollah in Syria. Attacks on ISIS in Iraq could be a lot of countries.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Maybe Iran?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MothraAttack posted:

So someone carried out airstrikes in Mosul overnight, but no one's taking responsibility.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...7353_story.html

It was me.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StabbinHobo posted:

Probably the media's short attention span as much as anything. They already did ISIS last week; time to move on now!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Perhaps it was the antichrist.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Definitely aliens.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Iran makes the most sense if not Iraq or the US, but it's totaly plausible the Iraqi military is uncoordinated enough that senior government leaders were completely unaware.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Xandu posted:

Iran makes the most sense if not Iraq or the US, but it's totaly plausible the Iraqi military is uncoordinated enough that senior government leaders were completely unaware.

What kind of airstrike capacity do the Iraqi military have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FAUXTON posted:

What kind of airstrike capacity do the Iraqi military have?

Well Ray is a cyborg who can fly...

• Locked thread