Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

The Diaz brothers, ladies and gents
Imagine looking up to your older brother, but suddenly noticing he isn't where he was a moment ago because he just began vaulting backyard fences to escape imaginary cops that aren't chasing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

The Diaz brothers, ladies and gents

That sort of behavior is lovely, imo. I understand Nate Diaz is not seeing eye to eye with UFC & the Diaz brothers do not like media stuff or any social setting other than the gym and their house, but the fans there to get his autograph do not care they just want to meet someone they like. Very uncool.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I'm at the expo and I saw Nate signing autographs about a half an hour ago. The convention setup is weird where the fighters are constantly shuffled between booths. Though I would not be surprised if he ditched out for a bit.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Why did you sting me? Without me you'll drown in this river! Said the frog.

209 motherfucker 209 209 said the scorpion.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

lmao

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

hahahahahaha

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

:lol:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

lmfao

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
:drat:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
BJ looks skinny as hell

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
BJ actually weighed in 0.5 lbs less than Edgar. That's :psyduck: as all hell to me.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He's motivated and really hungry this time

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Lloyd Boner posted:

really hungry

I bet

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I wanna believe in the motivated BJ but have been burned before.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
BJ was :airquote: motivated :airquote: in both Edgar fights. Especially the second one where he looked like a confused old man by the third round.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Foul Fowl posted:

BJ was :airquote: motivated :airquote: in both Edgar fights. Especially the second one where he looked like a confused old man by the third round.

BJ won the first Edgar fight

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

BJ won the first Edgar fight

First of all, nope

Second of all, arguing that BJ won the first Edgar fight undercuts the standard BJ Fan "Unmotivated!" argument, which goes "BJ had it too easy, he was unmotivated for his next fight, but once he comes back from a loss he's motivated and kicks rear end!" which unfortunately runs up against the fact that Edgar kicked his rear end even worse in the rematch

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The first fight wasn't even all that close really, I had Edgar up 4 rounds to 1.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

fatherdog posted:

Second of all, arguing that BJ won the first Edgar fight undercuts the standard BJ Fan "Unmotivated!" argument, which goes "BJ had it too easy, he was unmotivated for his next fight, but once he comes back from a loss he's motivated and kicks rear end!" which unfortunately runs up against the fact that Edgar kicked his rear end even worse in the rematch

I thought Edgar won both fights, but I don't recall thinking the first one was an rear end kicking. Felt like a pretty close fight.

Also, I'm perhaps willing to make a quick and dirty GDT for that card sometime tomorrow, but I only watched half the season and I don't remember who anyone is, so someone else should really get on that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You thought BJ Penn won that second fight? I went to one of those theater viewings for Penn/Edgar 2 with a friend who's from Hilo and trust me if there was any argument to that 2nd fight being BJ's I would've heard it and probably supported it at the time. Instead there were only tears.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Penn getting robbed became this weird media narrative in the wake of Doug Crosby's (pretty ludicrous) 50-45 Edgar scorecard and subsequent trolling of the Underground over that fact.

Way I remember it the fight was a really close, 48-47 either way kinda leaning Edgar sort of affair but I haven't rewatched it since.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
If you think BJ won the first fight, you are wrong but you have some legitimate arguments.

If you think BJ won the second fight, you are mentally challenged.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

1st AD posted:

The first fight wasn't even all that close really, I had Edgar up 4 rounds to 1.

I had it 2-2 with the 3rd round going eiher way, leaning toward Penn. But I also had $150 on Penn so I wasn't exactly the most reasonable judge of that fight.

Edgar definitely finished the 1st fight strong and then picked up where he left off for the 2nd fight.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Every single round in the first fight was razor close, it could have gone either way.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Wrong thread

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/4/5871519/unification-opportunities-galore-as-weidman-machida-rousey-and-davis

My friend Matt wrote this. Seeing as we're all a bunch of nerds here, some of you might be interested.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

Penn getting robbed became this weird media narrative in the wake of Doug Crosby's (pretty ludicrous) 50-45 Edgar scorecard and subsequent trolling of the Underground over that fact.

Way I remember it the fight was a really close, 48-47 either way kinda leaning Edgar sort of affair but I haven't rewatched it since.

Which round in the first fight was it ludicrous to think Edgar won? Every round was close.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!

Sprecherscrow posted:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/7/4/5871519/unification-opportunities-galore-as-weidman-machida-rousey-and-davis

My friend Matt wrote this. Seeing as we're all a bunch of nerds here, some of you might be interested.

Sweet. I like this stuff.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

MassRafTer posted:

Which round in the first fight was it ludicrous to think Edgar won? Every round was close.

I'll have to rewatch but Penn won the only clear round if I remember correctly, which I might not.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

I'll have to rewatch but Penn won the only clear round if I remember correctly, which I might not.

You don't; the only clear rounds were 4 and 5, and Edgar won both of those.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I remember thinking BJ might have edged it, but when I heard the scores read, I knew they would be for Frankie.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
stop trying to force yourselves to be interested in tomorrow's card. it's a bad card with a completely unnecessary main event

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

stop trying to force yourselves to be interested in tomorrow's card. it's a bad card with a completely unnecessary main event

Seeing BJ again should at the very least be funny/sad, Scoggins vs. Ortiz should be good, and I'm interested to see how Drysdale does. Other than that though, you're right it looks awful. This card and cards like this should really be ones that are completely on Fight Pass so I could just watch those 3 fights the next day.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jul 6, 2014

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I don't like BJ but his saving grace was knocking out Matt Hughes

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Fitching Jon Fitch was pretty cool too.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

1st AD posted:

Fitching Jon Fitch was pretty cool too.

One of my favourite mma moments

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I had the first BJ-Frankie fight with the first two round to BJ, last three to Frankie. There's a video floating around where Frankie's greasy jersey boys are watching the fight live, and they start swearing at the TV when they hear the 50-45 card that the crazy judge scored for the fight because they assumed that if a judge gave someone all the rounds it must have been BJ. It's definitely a textbook fight that's super hard to score, but 50-45 for either guy feels wrong.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

A third Edgar/BJ fight is such a stupid idea and it does nothing for either guy. If Edgar wins, nobody cares, he already did it twice before. In the unlikely event that BJ wins, he's still not a relevant fighter in 2014, and it only hurts Edgar's stock to lose to him.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If BJ wins he gets an immediate title shot, which the UFC wants because Aldo doesn't really sell PPVs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Since Struve may never fight again, I'd just like to say he had one of the most enjoyable UFC careers and he dserves the Hall of Fame some day and also I hope he gets well.

• Locked thread