Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oooh. Kinda regret asking that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Nihilarian posted:

The only Azure_Horizon LP's in the archive are ones that he did with other people. I imagine Baldurk left them in so he wasn't punishing not-rapists, but took down all his solo acts.

My understanding is that he requested they be removed for ~reasons~ which may or may not have been related to his ban, not that they were removed arbitrarily by a mod. Same for why they are no longer on lparchive. Someone posted an alternative off-site archive of it either earlier in this thread or in the main ff thread in games but I can't remember where or be arsed to look.

Anyways, enough about former forums poster AH.

I'm pretty excited to see where this goes next - hopefully Elentor isn't getting too sidetracked by Star Citizen :smith:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kalenn Istarion posted:

My understanding is that he requested they be removed for ~reasons~ which may or may not have been related to his ban, not that they were removed arbitrarily by a mod. Same for why they are no longer on lparchive. Someone posted an alternative off-site archive of it either earlier in this thread or in the main ff thread in games but I can't remember where or be arsed to look.

Anyways, enough about former forums poster AH.

I'm pretty excited to see where this goes next - hopefully Elentor isn't getting too sidetracked by Star Citizen :smith:

I'm not really playing Star Citizen, though, I'll wait a few months/years on it. I was practicing for some League of Legends tournaments in my spare time and finishing the Telltale Sam & Max series. :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Elentor posted:

I'm not really playing Star Citizen, though, I'll wait a few months/years on it. I was practicing for some League of Legends tournaments in my spare time and finishing the Telltale Sam & Max series. :v:

Both admirable goals, regardless of what anyone says about Telltale's earlier (aka "pre-Walking Dead") works.

But yeah, FF8 remains a cursed game, in its own way. It's never been completed in a way that the entire internet can see, at least.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

KataraniSword posted:

But yeah, FF8 remains a cursed game, in its own way. It's never been completed in a way that the entire internet can see, at least.

I'm pretty sure Leovinus completed it once. Then he tried to do it again and lost his mind.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Why did he try to do it twice? I can't remember the rationale

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Why did he try to do it twice? I can't remember the rationale

He wasn't happy with all the dated jokes and was giving the game more of a fair shake in terms of plot (but still taking the piss out of it because there are so many :confused: moments)

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KataraniSword posted:

Both admirable goals, regardless of what anyone says about Telltale's earlier (aka "pre-Walking Dead") works.

I really like Telltale games. Just recently I finished Puzzle Agent and found it really charming.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
For what it's worth. The FF8 Leovinus let's play was the 1st ever lets play I read. It was like almost 8 years ago or something. I used to read it every 2 years or so. I should have made a back up. I really liked that LP.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Sefal posted:

For what it's worth. The FF8 Leovinus let's play was the 1st ever lets play I read. It was like almost 8 years ago or something. I used to read it every 2 years or so. I should have made a back up. I really liked that LP.

If you have Archives... actually, nevermind. The images were uploaded to PhotoBucket.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

KataraniSword posted:

Kinda like how a large number of people stopped playing FF8 after the first disk.

What? Someone had to say it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Just read the dirge of cerebus LP instead.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

waah posted:

Just read the dirge of cerebus LP instead.

Yet a good game in it's own right, if it was FF7 plastered, it might have been received better.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Leovinus' first FF8 LP had lots of jokes calling Squall gay. Not a great look for the year 2014.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

zakharov posted:

Leovinus' first FF8 LP had lots of jokes calling Squall gay. Not a great look for the year 2014.

Think it was Zell, but the point stands

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zifnab posted:

Think it was Zell, but the point stands

Both wrong, it was Laguna. And it remains funny.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Both wrong, it was Laguna. And it remains funny.

In moderation it was, but it laid it on way too thick. He made Family Guy jokes like the knee injury or "He's a Phoney!" look restrained.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
It was pretty much every male character not named Kiros, because after Kiros's introduction Leo tended to use him to get his daily recommended allowance of gay jokes in.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honestly I never felt the gay jokes were too much. Or rather, they were, and thats what made it funny. Kiros' dedication to calling Laguna gay in every immature way he could think of. Gave a slimmer of characterization to an otherwise flat cardboard cut out.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

Were there subtleties like this in 8? I always remembered the big plot twists there as being kind of non-sequiturs, but I guess when I played it I was 16 and this LP proves I wasn't exactly reading subtexts at the time since I missed all the ones in FF7.

Now I hope someone does an in-depth, plot- and character-analytical LP like this one, but for 8.
There's nowhere near as much stuff like this in VIII, but there is one that kinda blew my mind. And it sucks that Leovinus' LP is gone so I can't grab an image from it. Fortunately the wiki has the screenshot.

In disc 1 when the radio antennae or whatever are brought back so Galbadia and Edea can make an announcement, you run past a TV displaying a mysterious message:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/File:Timber_TV_Station.jpg

quote:

IAMALIVEHERE
IWILLNEVERLETYOUFORGETABOUTME
BRINGMEBACKTHERE
It's from Sorceress Adel (from disc 3!) in her space prison beaming out messages. (The static she caused through radio waves is apparently why the antennae went unused for so many years.)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
IIRC most places that any real connection to the real world had landline/cable as a means of communication, brought about partly because of the dramatic static caused by Adel. Dollet had a dish capable of breaking through the static, but not possibly the everyone or requiring some masssive power draw or something. The tower certainly uses a lot of loving juice, considering that I thought the tower was secretly a death laser and not a big old antenna when I was a kid playing it.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

VagueRant posted:

There's nowhere near as much stuff like this in VIII, but there is one that kinda blew my mind. And it sucks that Leovinus' LP is gone so I can't grab an image from it. Fortunately the wiki has the screenshot.

In disc 1 when the radio antennae or whatever are brought back so Galbadia and Edea can make an announcement, you run past a TV displaying a mysterious message:
It's from Sorceress Adel (from disc 3!) in her space prison beaming out messages. (The static she caused through radio waves is apparently why the antennae went unused for so many years.)

There are hints, bits of a good story in there... But it's so buried under the rest that it's lost.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

VagueRant posted:

...that is...pretty awesome and drat creepy and I finally now know what the hell that TV was.

Thanks for the memories there Rant, makes me still like Final Fantasy VIII despite all the struggles I had with it.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

...that is...pretty awesome and drat creepy and I finally now know what the hell that TV was.

Thanks for the memories there Rant, makes me still like Final Fantasy VIII despite all the struggles I had with it.

You know it's on Steam, right? Though it suffers from the same issues VII did on release of steam, what with the MIDI soundtrack, and some summons missing sounds.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Re: Leovinus' original FFVIII LP, from what I've heard it was very high quality at the time it was made, so at least from an archaeological-standpoint it's significant.

My opinion that either his LP or Azure's should be on lparchive.org because FFVIII's story makes FFVII's look simplistic.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Re: Leovinus' original FFVIII LP, from what I've heard it was very high quality at the time it was made, so at least from an archaeological-standpoint it's significant.

My opinion that either his LP or Azure's should be on lparchive.org because FFVIII's story makes FFVII's look simplistic.

I think that's more of the fact that FF8's story is considered more...:psyduck: then really followable. Granted, there are a ton of theories, though the whole thing with the TV puts a hole in the Squall's Dead theory.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm trying to think of a polite way to say "well too bad your opinion doesn't matter," but ... well. The two people with opinions that matter are the author and baldurk. I think that's completely right, personally.

(ps: history != archaeology)

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Silegna posted:

I think that's more of the fact that FF8's story is considered more...:psyduck: then really followable. Granted, there are a ton of theories, though the whole thing with the TV puts a hole in the Squall's Dead theory.

Eh, I've always preferred the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Silegna posted:

Basically every major theory about FF8 makes it ridiculously depressing, whereas theories about FF7 are just attempts to explain what is even going on.

So it's the opposite if you ask me.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Silegna posted:

though the whole thing with the TV puts a hole in the Squall's Dead theory.

Not necessarily. I remember another thing that was supposed to disprove it, maybe it was how NORG is mentioned in the Garden computer on disc 1? Except it doesn't mention NORG being a huge yellow ballsack with giant hands? So maybe that TV transmission screen manifested in a space sorceress after disc 1? I dunno, it's been a long time since I've played/cared about VIII.

And I never really believed or understood R=U but I do NOT want to go down that rabbit hole in this thread.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madmarker posted:

Eh, I've always preferred the Rinoa is Ultimecia theory anyway.

Nah, Rinoa isn't Ultimecia.

Rinoa and Squall's daughter is Ultimecia.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Bregor posted:

Not necessarily. I remember another thing that was supposed to disprove it, maybe it was how NORG is mentioned in the Garden computer on disc 1? Except it doesn't mention NORG being a huge yellow ballsack with giant hands? So maybe that TV transmission screen manifested in a space sorceress after disc 1? I dunno, it's been a long time since I've played/cared about VIII.

And I never really believed or understood R=U but I do NOT want to go down that rabbit hole in this thread.

R=U is pretty much the same as the Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination theory: An attempt to explain something that makes next to no goddamned sense.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never understood the need to prove or disprove the Squall's dead theory. It's obviously not a reading that's intended by the people behind FF8's plot, but it's a valid enough interpretation of what's there that gives the plot more impact for some people, and is more satisfying than what we're otherwise given. Same thing with R=U or the ME3 Indoctrination theory.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kajeesus posted:

I've never understood the need to prove or disprove the Squall's dead theory. It's obviously not a reading that's intended by the people behind FF8's plot, but it's a valid enough interpretation of what's there that gives the plot more impact for some people, and is more satisfying than what we're otherwise given. Same thing with R=U or the ME3 Indoctrination theory.

The problem is that a lot of people who buy in to such theories don't pay attention to the first part of that statement and go around forcing it on people in order to try to ~show the lesser fans the truth of the artists' true vision~. In exchange, you get people who oppose it just because the first group is just so blindingly dumb.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The reality is everyone BUT Squall is dead.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

KataraniSword posted:

The problem is that a lot of people who buy in to such theories don't pay attention to the first part of that statement and go around forcing it on people in order to try to ~show the lesser fans the truth of the artists' true vision~. In exchange, you get people who oppose it just because the first group is just so blindingly dumb.
So basically they're exactly like FF7 fans :v: the teenage livejournal ones that is. Do people still use livejournal, god I'm old by internet standards.

Silegna posted:

You know it's on Steam, right? Though it suffers from the same issues VII did on release of steam, what with the MIDI soundtrack, and some summons missing sounds.
Nah I'm good, I knew it was on Steam already but thanks for telling me :) when they put FF9 on Steam and not give it a MIDI soundtrack, then I'm buying that poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FinalGamer posted:

Nah I'm good, I knew it was on Steam already but thanks for telling me :) when they put FF9 on Steam and not give it a MIDI soundtrack, then I'm buying that poo poo.

Sadly, this will never happen. Hell, it'll never make it to Steam even with a lovely MIDI soundtrack.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Whatever works for you, I'm very "Death of the Author" when it comes to it. Personally, the Squall's dead theory never resonated with me, but Rinoa=Ultimecia seemed to work, and plug the plotholes that litter everything. Is it intended by the people who wrote/produced this game? Hell no. The same is true of Squall is dead. FF8 has a vague enough plot that all these theories can easily be seen as correct, albeit not simultaneously. FF7 has a very specific plot with very specific events that occurred. And even though these events are understated/misunderstood, the plot is open to far less interpretation. No one questions that Sephiroth/Jenova is the primary antagonist, merely which one is dominant. No one questions that Aerith is responsible for Holy helping save the planet, though there is debate over whether aerith/the planet/ or holy was actually directing things The only real debate about events in FF7 is whether or not it exists in the same universe/planet as FFX.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Squall Is Dead is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
VIII's plot is basically a jumble of individual stories that, by themselves, would more than be sufficent for a narrative.
All together though; it's just a massive cluster-gently caress, as it jumps from "floating mercenary garden" to "time-travel witch" to "bland overbearing love story" and "rebels overthrowing future-tech empire" and back again.

There's no real feel of a natural progression of things.

• Locked thread