Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Enos Shenk posted:

I played Atoramos' build and pointed out someone put up a prize for best use of the Zardoz head. I was bored so I decided to model it since I could use it in my game as well.

And of course https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/141777/DanceMagic/Web.html playable build with Zardoz head, Mushrooms, and backup dancers with health. I suppose this is a full 'game' in the sense that you can indeed try and save the dancers.

Edit: People in IRC wanted more drugs so I did a little optimization https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/141777/DanceMagic/DanceMagicMoreDrug/Web.html I may try to figure out object pooling to further optimize this sort of insanity. Third spell added in the main build, hit 'F' to see something wonderful.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Y'all are setting up your fancy dancy ol' dancing games and whatever.

Doesn't hold a candle to THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_A34ylcJc

That's right. Fully freeform, two dimensional movement of a round black sprite. :whatup:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So an NPR charitable donations type thing then? I've been working on a day by day sim and just want to identify income correctly.

I don't think so actually, you need to pay for the NPR programming you want I'm pretty sure -- I didn't negotiate anything along those lines so I can't say. I just know that Democracy Now allowed us to rebroadcast their satellite broadcast

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

I knew putting up that prize would be worth it!

Did some work on Watch_pogs (public access hosted Pog tournament game), mostly experimenting with pog slamming physics, want to make the game over the top and xtreme (as trying to make a realistic recreation of the Pogs game would probably be pretty dull)

Basically,my current plan is to make it resemble the 'Test your might' game from Mortal Kombat, with story sections in between matches exploring the dark and super mega serious underworld of professional Pog players (which is were the Watch_dogs parody stuff comes in)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was working most of the weekend, because hey, triple pay! So yesterday I gave my dinosaur detective a gun, bat and brick and called it a day.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Day whatever we're on, oh god the clock is ticking: Got the second half of my SWAT briefing voice over lines from Stinkmeister to add to Rickvoid's work. Put it all together in audacity with a few extra background sound effects from freesound.org and I'm very pleased with the result. Having this excellent voice acting in my game is really gonna help sell the concept and I'm very proud of being able to have this level of polish.

Status of under-rear end fire: Lit.

Also you should hook these goons up for your own projects, you'll get great results from them and it really adds quality to have 'real voice acting' TM. Plus you can pretend to be a director for 5 mins while you describe the performance you want, it's a lot of fun.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 7, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Oh gosh, it's Day 7 and I still haven't done anything.

Looks like it's time to start ctrl+f'ing "music" in this thread every day and see who needs a composer.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Afal posted:

Day 4: Will probably sleep all day because I haven't gone to bed but not before going to see a doctor first

changing this to "Day 4: Missed doctors appointment because I fell asleep. Managed to crowbar some form of CRT effect I found somewhere"

Day 5: I did nothing but get angry at Starseed Pilgrim . Played Saints Row IV to calm myself down.

Day 6: I still don't have any gameplay but I have a cool game over sequence.

Right now: I still have no idea what my game is going to be about and what is the gameplay going to be like. I'm the best at making video games.

Can you make a whole game with screenshake as the main mechanic? Asking for a friend.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Afal posted:

Can you make a whole game with screenshake as the main mechanic? Asking for a friend.

Game about a public access TV cameraperson with restless leg syndrome? :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Protocol7 posted:

Y'all are setting up your fancy dancy ol' dancing games and whatever.

Doesn't hold a candle to THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u_A34ylcJc

That's right. Fully freeform, two dimensional movement of a round black sprite. :whatup:

The one thing that could make this legitimately great would be some guy, once in a while, saying "S'jus a ball, niggah" and "Don't get all fancy".

Go off the screen, and he'll say "Ain't nothin' there, what you expek?"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The one thing that could make this legitimately great would be some guy, once in a while, saying "S'jus a ball, niggah" and "Don't get all fancy".

Go off the screen, and he'll say "Ain't nothin' there, what you expek?"

I mean, developer art. But yeah, that could definitely be funny.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Ultigonio posted:

Oh gosh, it's Day 7 and I still haven't done anything.

Looks like it's time to start ctrl+f'ing "music" in this thread every day and see who needs a composer.

Do ya' like painting? :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Protocol7 posted:

I mean, developer art. But yeah, that could definitely be funny.

No no, it's gotta stay just like this, but with a voice-over.

Maybe some sort of Quincy Jones soundtrack.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Day 5: Went to see the volcano, did no work on the game.

Day 6: I came up with a road system to use in the game, and am going to work on creating my dialogue system today and maybe start figuring out how to play Youtube videos inside the game.

edit: added a minimap and the ability to interact with hotspots and disable movement while interacting. Now I need to hook this into my dialogue script so that it actually does something besides disabling player movement.

In case anyone wants to move the little guy around in the game here's a playable web build link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92304749/sagamedev2/sagamedev2.html

ModeSix fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 7, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Day whatever we're on, oh god the clock is ticking: Got the second half of my SWAT briefing voice over lines from Stinkmeister to add to Rickvoid's work. Put it all together in audacity with a few extra background sound effects from freesound.org and I'm very pleased with the result. Having this excellent voice acting in my game is really gonna help sell the concept and I'm very proud of being able to have this level of polish.

Also you should hook these goons up for your own projects, you'll get great results from them and it really adds quality to have 'real voice acting' TM. Plus you can pretend to be a director for 5 mins while you describe the performance you want, it's a lot of fun.

Yesssssss

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Do ya' like painting? :v:

I have very little idea how to respond to this question because I am overthinking it, so I'm just going to say,

I find painting enjoyable but I'm pretty much garbage at it.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ultigonio posted:

I have very little idea how to respond to this question because I am overthinking it, so I'm just going to say,

I find painting enjoyable but I'm pretty much garbage at it.

Sorry, that was a failing attempt at humor which is a little ambiguous. Our team is working on The Rage of Painting with B.O.B. r055. There's some bullshit about it on the front page and a few details on http://josephcatrambone.com . We could use musical skills if the project is of interest. I'm available by PM and at Jo.jcat at the gmail.com.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
It looks like the second team has basically dissolved due to a large number of dropouts - there's still one guy who's doing really nice work but we'll have to see if he can finish it basically by himself.

As for my team - today we got the lobby chatroom broadcasting messages correctly

Obviously having a lobby chatroom is way down on the list of priorities - but this means we can do a number of things which are important for the rest of the game - broadcasting messages, and figuring out which GameObject is our own player (for broadcasting our player name, etc.).

I think we might actually get this pretty ambitious project done!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Sorry, that was a failing attempt at humor which is a little ambiguous. Our team is working on The Rage of Painting with B.O.B. r055. There's some bullshit about it on the front page and a few details on http://josephcatrambone.com . We could use musical skills if the project is of interest. I'm available by PM and at Jo.jcat at the gmail.com.

See, that's what I thought you were going for, by my brain under mild amounts of stress refuses to properly acknowledge humor like that. I'll get into contact.

(If anyone else needs a composer, I handled like 4 projects last year, so I'd be more than willing to take on others right now.)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Today I made the player's baseball bat swing down and up, then wrestled with the engine for an hour wondering how to do basic touches like rotating the player and making him bobble along as he walks without breaking everything, before realising that the tutorial I followed to brush up on Game Maker was loving garbage and I'll need to rewrite it all myself.

But hey, at least I'm learning!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Ultigonio posted:

See, that's what I thought you were going for, by my brain under mild amounts of stress refuses to properly acknowledge humor like that. I'll get into contact.

(If anyone else needs a composer, I handled like 4 projects last year, so I'd be more than willing to take on others right now.)

Would you like to make a music track for me and my retro FPS? I was toying with not having any music at all but I think something low-key like this from Blake Stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgodenUKdQ would work well (Doom is a OTT for this). I know it's a weird request to work with lo-fi sounds but if you fancy making a sort of catchy theme about some SWAT guys sneaking about in the adlib style then I'd be very happy. My title screen music is midi converted with a Gravis Ultrasound sound-font, so it really needs to be super basic to fit in with that. I have PMs or you can e-mail me at 'contact' at my website which is: david walters development dot com or maybe you'll find me on IRC. I figure I'm bound to finish this if I rope in enough people to make me feel like I'm letting someone down if I don't.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 7, 2014

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I've actually been somewhat slacking. But the core mechanics of throwing things, and the floating objects flooding from near hits and sinking is working. It's just a lot of prop work and hopefully next week recording a ton of commentator audio with a friend.

I'm going for the infamous basement pool look, and I'm pondering doing some stuff like having the lights spark and go out if you splash water on them. The game itself is the old game of Sink. Throw things at floating things to make them sink, but with a cheesy public access sports show slant.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Day 7(I think??): I got my dialogue and quest system sort of functional. It's ugly but it works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/92304749/sagamedev2/sagamedev2.html

Right now it just cycles back and forth between two quests, but it works.

Press E to activate the quest dialogue.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

New build today

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/141777/DanceMagic/Web.html

Better lighting, Dance Magic Meter, GUI for your spells, and updated particle effects for the spells.

Edit: Dance Magic, now with NGUI

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 8, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Well, now I'm embarrassed. I'm absolutely not a 'real voice actor', but thank you.

This does remind me that I should actually get around to writing up and recording something for Let's Be Heroes!. I'm thinking Tim Curry as an rear end in a top hat Wizard.

*EDIT* Ahaha. Didn't come out so much as Tim Curry, but I got a lot of rear end in a top hat in there. Gonna shoot you an e-mail with a link to it, Ulta.

*EDIT EDIT* And that's another one. Sadly it's probably the last one for a bit, I've got to get the kids ready to pick up their mother from work, make dinner, etc.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 8, 2014

Satire
Nov 23, 2013

Holy Snackers!

RickVoid posted:

This does remind me that I should actually get around to writing up and recording something for Let's Be Heroes!.

poo poo, thanks for reminding me.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Made a character for my game.

Say hello to your new best friend.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
This past week I've been working on stupid tertiary meta-junk that will hopefully provide a richer experience. So far I have the backend for crummy Dark Souls comments and ghosts done. Also you can get tweets. I didn't know what hashtag so search on so right now it returns tweets about Shrek.

Edit: Here's some placeholder ghost action, found out my machine can handle 11 instances of unity before it won't load any more. (Other players are orbs at the moment)

Ultigonio posted:

I will take a music if you are still offering. Email me at pikmin[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll give you some things I need. Our aesthetic is low-poly N64 definately-not-Zelda.

Gunzil fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 8, 2014

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
A summary of my weekend:

I made a house.

And then I made another house.

And then I made lots of houses.

We'll probably need to make the town smaller so it doesn't look like an abandoned development, but that will have to wait until the other buildings are ready.

Bonus Frankenhaus:

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Bonus Frankenhaus:

Welcome to Escherville.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Day 5: watched the first half of the Babylon 5 season 5.
Day 6: went to a magic the gathering tournament
Day 7: Finished Babylon 5.

All in all, relatively good progress made.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
The bear: me
Mooks getting blown up: everyone else in the contest

edit for gif

shs fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 8, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Would you like to make a music track for me and my retro FPS? I was toying with not having any music at all but I think something low-key like this from Blake Stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IgodenUKdQ would work well (Doom is a OTT for this). I know it's a weird request to work with lo-fi sounds but if you fancy making a sort of catchy theme about some SWAT guys sneaking about in the adlib style then I'd be very happy. My title screen music is midi converted with a Gravis Ultrasound sound-font, so it really needs to be super basic to fit in with that. I have PMs or you can e-mail me at 'contact' at my website which is: david walters development dot com or maybe you'll find me on IRC. I figure I'm bound to finish this if I rope in enough people to make me feel like I'm letting someone down if I don't.

Ooh, that sounds like that might be fun to try! I'll get into contact. Looks like I'm all set until the end of the competition where I help out the few stragglers begging for a musician. :smuggo:

edit:

Gunzil posted:

I will take a music if you are still offering. Email me at pikmin[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll give you some things I need. Our aesthetic is low-poly N64 definately-not-Zelda.
Almost missed this! I'll get into contact. Time to make way too much music in the span of little more than three weeks!

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 8, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Bonus Groverhaus:

Fixed.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
New Steak manipulator cooking game mechanics test is up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13355028/ArmGrabTest/ArmGrabTest.html

Now with crappy placeholder arms and accompanying controls! Actually breading things is coming Soon™

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I took a few days off because I remembered that Planetside 2 exists, so I started work on art assets.

The greenscreen is actually a transparent area so I can replace it with stuff (probably stock photography of nature) during gameplay.

(Also, why isn't this thread stickied anymore? It was hard to find again...)

aerique
Jul 16, 2008
Day 2-6: nothing except thinking about game layout and funny cards
Day 7: threw out everything from the copied project that didn't have anything to do with the planned game and started working on the main menu:

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Worked on my map rendering and player movement in what is essentially a Wolfenstein 3D clone. Here's a wall of shame before I turn it into an office. Gonna add doors next - you can't underestimate those time consuming bastards.

Thanks to Internet Janitor for his suggestion about my previously bad timer font. Everyone should be on IRC, it's great for getting valuable crits (and watching turtle racing).

Dr. Stab posted:

Day 5: watched the first half of the Babylon 5 season 5.
Congrats on getting past this potentially crippling morale hit. oh god the memories.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
I'd like to do a variant on :toxx:. If I do not submit a game, I will give Ultigonio and Lord Lambeth $50 each for wasting their time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jo posted:

I'd like to do a variant on :toxx:. If I do not submit a game, I will give Ultigonio and Lord Lambeth $50 each for wasting their time.

Add me to this toxx too, because uh, I believe in you.

• Locked thread