Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Trucy Wright is an unfortunate victim of both Apollo Justice not haveing great characterization and Dual Destinies throwing nearly everything from Apollo Justice by the wayside/introducing Athena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Trucy Wright is an unfortunate victim of both Apollo Justice not haveing great characterization and Dual Destinies throwing nearly everything from Apollo Justice by the wayside/introducing Athena.

Athena rules though, so it's forgiven. Even if she is a bad lawyer.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love the dynamic the new Wright Anything Agency has. You've got Athena as the goofy rookie, Apollo Justice as the high-strung straight man, and Phoenix as Team Dad who's not afraid to get in on the silliness himself.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I love the dynamic the new Wright Anything Agency has. You've got Athena as the goofy rookie, Apollo Justice as the high-strung straight man, and Phoenix as Team Dad who's not afraid to get in on the silliness himself.

Please.

It's the BatPhoenix Family.

E: Also I like Athena, but she's second only to Kay in terms of being the most conspicuous "girl with a tragic past the primary plot must revolve around" they're contractually obligated to insert into every game.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 8, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm also glad Sebastian Debeste ranks so highly.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 8, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I'm also glad Sebastian Debeaste ranks so highly.

I'm not surprised at all to see that Simon ranked pretty highly, too, apparently the Japanese fans must've liked case 5 quite a bit.

E: V Von Karma clocks in at 41.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 8, 2014

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Where is Manfred Von Karma on that list?

Say what you want about him, but 1-4 was brutal. Felt like a real final boss.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Japanese have awful taste if Gummy is only #12, MVK doesn't rank and the Butz is 23.

Colgate Zeus makes up for it though.

e: VVVV MVK is 41, not sure how I missed that one too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 8, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Manfred von Karma is #41 and Damon Gant is #30. Klavier Gavin is #10. I really don't get the Japanese on this one.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I think the real issue here is Oldbag at #14

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Klavier at #10 and Udgey at #47 is loving criminal. Wendy's spot is aight, she's hilarious in her first two appearances yo.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The nature of the AA translation makes it difficult to react to lists like this - the characters in the series are weird in that their Japanese counterparts both are and aren't really the same characters that appear in the western version. In particular, their personality, dialogue and speech patterns is often different enough in ways that work very well in one language and setting context and not at all in the other. I mean, the translation takes a racially homogenous cast and turns it into a multinational one. You can't do that and expect characters to rank the same across regions.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

orenronen posted:

I mean, the translation takes a racially homogenous cast and turns it into a multinational one.

That's something I've always wondered a bit about, come to think of it. Clearly practically every character in the original versions is Japanese, or at least has a Japanese name. But in terms of appearance, it's all over the place and very few characters look particularly Japanese, if you catch my drift. I'm not expecting them to walk around in kimonos and hakama or anything, but the visual design seems to have a lot of influences from all over the place. Tyrell Badd/Badou Ittetsu, for instance, looks like an American hard-boiled detective more than anything. Ray Shields/Shigaraki Tateyuki has fluffy, afro-like hair you'd be hard pressed to see on a native Japanese person without some serious work. Colgate Zeus is Colgate Zeus, enough said about that. :v:

Now a lot of that could have to do with Japan being so heavily influenced by American culture in the first place. Klavier Gavin/Garyuu Kyouya could really be any old J-Rock musician, and making him German seems to be purely an invention on the translators' part? (I'm not actually sure, but I doubt he has that tic in the original, and besides most references to Germany in the translation are references to the United States in the original.)

I guess the point is that for a series where everyone is Japanese, it sure lends itself well to switching up people's nationalities, which is pretty great.

And then there's everyone from Zheng Fa/Seihou Republic... who are pretty clearly Chinese (or, more accurately, Taiwanese) expies in the original, too.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 8, 2014

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Considering Godot's popularity I'm forever disappointed that Blackquill didn't reference meeting him in jail. Something along the lines of "An inmate once taught me that coffee should be consumed hot. Now talk before you feel my cold steel!"

Except written by someone who is witty and can actually write.

I ned to finish that DLC case one of these days. So many games so little time. :smith:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, the games tend to avoid spoiling the climax of previous entries. I think that's a pretty solid policy. Also Godot is dead. You'll be waiting forever for that reference.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Darth TNT posted:

Considering Godot's popularity I'm forever disappointed that Blackquill didn't reference meeting him in jail. Something along the lines of "An inmate once taught me that coffee should be consumed hot. Now talk before you feel my cold steel!"

Except written by someone who is witty and can actually write.

I ned to finish that DLC case one of these days. So many games so little time. :smith:
There's a reference or two to Godot in Layton Vs Wright, so there's at least that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Despite showing up in multiple cases of 2 games, Trucy is still functionally a nonentity of a character.

I have to disagree. Out of all the characters introduced in Apollo Justice she probably gets the most characterisation (only in that game, as Apollo's characterisation primarily occurs in DD). I know it's not exactly great praise considering her competition is, what, Kristoph, Klavier and Vera but she's definitely not a nonentity. She's actually gets a decent amount of characterisation in the final case, since her adoption is related to Phoenix's disbarment. Also, i'd say she gets more characterisation in the investigations of case 2 and 3 than Apollo does (again not saying all that much, but still).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

orenronen posted:

The nature of the AA translation makes it difficult to react to lists like this - the characters in the series are weird in that their Japanese counterparts both are and aren't really the same characters that appear in the western version. In particular, their personality, dialogue and speech patterns is often different enough in ways that work very well in one language and setting context and not at all in the other. I mean, the translation takes a racially homogenous cast and turns it into a multinational one. You can't do that and expect characters to rank the same across regions.

This actually makes a lot of sense and could go a long way to explaining some of the outliers that are big fan favourites here and not over there.

Maybe the Japanese version of the Judge isn't adorable and funny?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I know it's not exactly great praise considering her competition is, what, Kristoph, Klavier and Vera but she's definitely not a nonentity.

I'd put Valant Gramarye over those three, too. He's definitely the biggest snub on that list.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

I'd put Valant Gramarye over those three, too. He's definitely the biggest snub on that list.

Oh yeah. I forgot about him. I do think Trucy still gets more characterisation than him though. (Eldoon is another character I probably should've mentioned as well)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I just meant he was snubbed from that list of best characters. If you have Acro on there, there's no reason you can't have an actually good character from 4-3 :argh:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Suspicious Cook posted:

There was an actual popularity poll hosted by Capcom shortly after Dual Destiny's release in Japan. It was hard to track down the list and I found it on some random person's Tumblr, so hopefully it's accurate.

:gonk: This list is terrible. I could understand Apollo being in the top 10 after DD, but #1? Fulbright, Blackquill and Klavier over Athena (#11), Gumshoe (#12), Ema Skye (#18), Pearls (#20), and inexplicably the Judge (#47)? And Oldbag at #14? Bullshit!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

Well, the games tend to avoid spoiling the climax of previous entries. I think that's a pretty solid policy. Also Godot is dead. You'll be waiting forever for that reference.

Yeah, that is a good policy. But a throw away line like that won't be remembered or picked up by someone new in the series who is playing it out of order. :shrug: Specifically since Blackquill already has so many references to generic other inmates. :shrug:
Dead? I thought he was arrested. Yes, he's probably on death row, but it doesn't seem like the justice system is very fast at death sentences considering what happened with Blackquill.

I need to pick up AA vs Layton. I saw it in stores near me, but I have too much to play as is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Old lady who openly lusts after young men is probably a far more hilarious archetype in Japan. Also what that dude said about translations. I'm guessing that accounts for Apollo's #1 rank since his dialogue is often dreadfully boring in English.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Darth TNT posted:

Dead? I thought he was arrested. Yes, he's probably on death row, but it doesn't seem like the justice system is very fast at death sentences considering what happened with Blackquill.

It was pretty heavily implied that he was living on borrowed time as is, and along with the sketch at the end of T&T, it doesn't really bode well for him still being alive.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Saigyouji posted:

It was pretty heavily implied that he was living on borrowed time as is, and along with the sketch at the end of T&T, it doesn't really bode well for him still being alive.

Yeah, he was basically living on pure hatred and willpower, once Nick beats him and puts the whole Fey saga to rest he's got no reason to keep on going. If you want an actual medical reason, hiding a dagger wound to the face for two days with a hosed up immune probably wasn't going to do too much for his long term health.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Vegetable posted:

Old lady who openly lusts after young men is probably a far more hilarious archetype in Japan. Also what that dude said about translations. I'm guessing that accounts for Apollo's #1 rank since his dialogue is often dreadfully boring in English.

Apollo owned in Dual Destinies since they brought his character being a dork to its logical conclusion. Even Athena makes fun of him in that game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

It's been ages since I played it:
I don't remember the sketch you're referring to and the Ace Attorney wiki isn't very helpful. Anyway, what I remember is that the wound shows up stuff happens the mystery is solved and he falls down shortly after a cup of coffee. While I originally thought that he had died, the fact that no one really responded to this made me feel like I misinterpreted it and that he was hauled off and sent to jail pending execution.
I also fully accept the premise that my memory is faulty so feel free to correct me.
Also, the wiki lists him as alive so it must be true. :v:

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yeah, he was basically living on pure hatred and willpower, once Nick beats him and puts the whole Fey saga to rest he's got no reason to keep on going. If you want an actual medical reason, hiding a dagger wound to the face for two days with a hosed up immune probably wasn't going to do too much for his long term health.
Do medical reasons even exist in that world? You can be a one eyed mummy and still shine in court. :)

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Darth TNT posted:

I don't remember the sketch you're referring to

This one. What with him being drawn with Mia and Misty, well...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Don't forget that Apollo gets the best theme song of any investigation buddies in the series. The first and last times it played in the game totally floored me. He's not my personal favorite, but I'm fine (:haw:) with him topping that list.

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, that is a good policy. But a throw away line like that won't be remembered or picked up by someone new in the series who is playing it out of order. :shrug: Specifically since Blackquill already has so many references to generic other inmates. :shrug:

Still, "Godot likes coffee" is a pretty heavy theme through the game, and his arrest is a pretty big plot twist. It could just be a reference to a former prosecutor, though. Godot would've been active while Blackquill was in law school.

Darth TNT posted:

I doubt he'd even be on death row, since there's a bunch of mitigating circumstances and even the victim's next of kin didn't blame him. Besides, he was already a dying man, as other posters have said, and the very last thing you see in the game is a sketch of everyone hanging out after the case while Godot is with Misty and Mia. He is the deadest of any character who was never explicitly said to be.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Saigyouji posted:

This one. What with him being drawn with Mia and Misty, well...

Thanks. Now I remember that sketch. I always just saw that as the proverbial passing the baton sketch, with the old generation at the top and the current generation at the bottom.
[spoiler]

Kajeesus posted:

Still, "Godot likes coffee" is a pretty heavy theme through the game, and his arrest is a pretty big plot twist. It could just be a reference to a former prosecutor, though. Godot would've been active while Blackquill was in law school.

[spoiler]I doubt he'd even be on death row, since there's a bunch of mitigating circumstances and even the victim's next of kin didn't blame him. Besides, he was already a dying man, as other posters have said, and the very last thing you see in the game is a sketch of everyone hanging out after the case while Godot is with Misty and Mia. He is the deadest of any character who was never explicitly said to be.

I don't have anything else to say on the matter. You both convinced me... I just don't want him to be dead. :(

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Hey remember, Godot can't see Red on White ;)
:aaa:

I wonder if somebody pointed this out when they were naming Redd White. Probably not, but if it was intentional it would justify how dumb his pun name is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

:aaa:

I wonder if somebody pointed this out when they were naming Redd White. Probably not, but if it was intentional it would justify how dumb his pun name is.

His Japanese name was Small Medium Large. I think Redd White is actually better.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Bikini is the only true Small Medium Large.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

His Japanese name was Small Medium Large. I think Redd White is actually better.

It's actually one of the more plausible names in the series. Konaka, spelled with the kanji for small and medium is a real (if not common) family name. Masaru, spelled "large", is a pretty common given name for men. I can definitely see a couple named Konaka being cute with their kid's name.

Edit: The other thing to remember is that Japanese names aren't as transparent as western ones - "Masaru Konaka" sounds like a fine Japanese name, and can be spelled in a variety of ways. It's not until you actually see it written that you can be sure of the ridiculous pun.

Now, "Naruhodou"? That's as fake a name as fake can get.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 8, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow, AAI2 was good. More than anything else I liked how all of the cases connected cohesively; it feels like every other AA game has at least one or two that are just kind of "normal" murders that just happened to take place during the game's events. Though it would probably get tiresome/convoluted if they constantly tried to make 4-5 cases constantly interconnected.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Wow, AAI2 was good. More than anything else I liked how all of the cases connected cohesively; it feels like every other AA game has at least one or two that are just kind of "normal" murders that just happened to take place during the game's events. Though it would probably get tiresome/convoluted if they constantly tried to make 4-5 cases constantly interconnected.

Earlier you were trying to get it to work on a flash cart, yeah? Did you ever figure that out? It doesn't work on mine and my laptop can't emulate it at anything above around 40fps.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I gave up on getting it to work on a DSTT; instead I switched over to a Supercard DStwo based on the recommendation of a friend who was also playing AAI2 and had gotten it to work with it.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
For the record, I played through the whole thing on my CycloDS and it worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you're using DeSmuME, be sure to go into emulation settings and uncheck Advanced Bus-Level Timing. If it's still slow, check the Dynamic Recompiler. The default settings slow the game way down.

• Locked thread