Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
This is some Hitler in the Bunker stuff, Herpicle. You have one squad anywhere near the objective (and a tank hunter team on the E edge of it), the rest of 2nd platoon straggling across the L9 ford, one platoon spread across P6-7, and one in a woodline at P8. You yourself are nowhere near the objective.

I strongly urge you to issue advice/orders better tailored to your individual platoon commanders' needs. "Duck" might be a good idea for 1st platoon, for instance. "RUN!" for 3rd.

Gamerofthegame posted:

We need to shift around some. We have two T-70s overlapping, one can shimmy off to the far west and cover where the current Railroad T-70 is, while that one shifts down to the south to stare at people crossing the ford/southern open. I intend to shake off my SMG team (Me being the T-34 actually in the toy, lazy prats) and hunt a bit to the south to try to kill that tank. As is if we are stuck with a 1v1 tank battle I'm pretty destined to lose, so I'd rather try to get some side hits in this golden moment.

A) Please don't give orders to the T-70s. Especially not ones that dangerous.
B) Absent any blocking terrain, I would assume that MkIV and his buddies can see you fine from F10. Why on earth do you want to engage alone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Edit: ^ Suggestion hour, not a order. And otherwise I'm functionally alone and facing a (usually) better armored tank in a front to front when I could hit him in the weak armor right now. Which is, again, suggestion hour. There might be other tanks, they'll be moving while I'll be still and shooting them (hopefully) in the side. The most likely worst outcome is I'll be seen and they'll know that, gasp, we have units in town. Surprise.

simplefish posted:

Don't just send all the tanks up to cover the railway line. It's long, straight, open, and we've already established that the Germans aren't that far north yet. Watch the South and West, try and pick em off as the smoke clears.

At least, that's what I would do but I don't own this game and I have no sort of command role at all in this match.

I don't intend to send more then one at most, at least until the AT gun gets up. But if we moved you away we'd need a scout tank to replace, I mean.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 8, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Honestly this isn't that bad. Our tanks are across the river and mostly in position without casualties or even interference, we've got 3 45mm tubes looking down the rails and in stationary positions so they'll dominate anything light that moves into the objective and our infantry is starting to cross. If they are shelling a ford then whatever, we'll take some casualties but shelling water is far less effective then shelling open terrain or trees. We also get the moral victory for beating them after getting gamed.

The only bit that's really concerning are the IS2's but that can be fixed.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Alright Red Lobster, it's the end of the line. We've given her all she's got, but the tank ain't budging anymore. You'll have to do the rest on foot.

Gamerofthegame? Grumio? I'm sorry guys, but you'll have to carry on without us. There's nothing we can do anymore.

The Merry Marauder, do me a favor. We're going to do what we can with this mess, but we might not make it back. Tell Mrs. Phoenix I love her. And tell Krysm Jr. his father died a hero.

Listen up gentlemen! We're bogged down in this river, and there's no moving so say hello to your new home for the next hour. As you can tell we're a sitting duck out here and there's not going to be any covering fire for us. The moment that smoke clears we're going to be completely on our own and the Nazis will be on our asses any minute. But if those bastards think they can take us down, well god dammit we're going to drag their bodies straight to hell with us.

3rd Tank Company, 1st T-34-85 (Medium Tank) - Zhar-ptitsa Reka Bashni?

For now, button up. Artillery is coming down and it might be on us. Once the artillery passes (or it's clear it's not hitting us), unbutton again.

If the main gun gets destroyed, or we run low on HE and AP ammo, we're going to run as fast as we can to that building at L-6/L-7 and take cover on the east side (unless going inside is an option) until we figure out what to do next.

Was previously ordering Target Arc, too lazy to paint a new picture so consider this a Face in this-ish direction.

Target arc set. Face the guns. They'll be here any second.

For the Motherland! :ussr:

Fire At Will! :getin:

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 8, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Some LOS info for our tanks.

The view from the approximate location of the spotted panther.

The same shot, at 20.0x zoom. I don't know how much the smoke is interfering with this.

I think our naval asset might as well be in the Baltic Sea. This is its view looking west/southwest along the river.

Gamer has a T-34 north of the house at OP Lapras. This is the view from the southeast corner of that house, looking towards the PzIV contact. Not a great view, but the barely visible fences in the right midground border the field at F9 and G9, directly north of the contact. Fritz might move straight through that field.

A similar view from the northwest corner of the house at OP Lapras. The northeast corner of the field at F9/G9 is visible through the trees, but not much else.

Our IS-2s looking towards the PzIV. Wherever our tanks are around OP Abra, they should be able to see a panzer moving around OP Koffing.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the positions of any units given in my pics are NOT EXACT. I'm guessing based on Grey Hunter's maps and videos, take anything I post with an appropriate grain of salt.

dublish fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Good luck, Krysmphoenix! Schoolchildren will sing songs of your soggy stand.

Gamerofthegame posted:

There might be other tanks, they'll be moving while I'll be still and shooting them (hopefully) in the side. The most likely worst outcome is I'll be seen and they'll know that, gasp, we have units in town. Surprise.

Normally, I appreciate initiative (ironically), but with Krysmphoenix's noble...sacrifice, and artillery cutting off reinforcements, you are half the lion's share of the firepower available to complete the mission. Moving into unknown territory in pursuit of a tank contact (with infantry) that may well be hull down on F10 seems like an excessive risk of that power.

dublish posted:

The same shot, at 20.0x zoom. I don't know how much the smoke is interfering with this.

Oh, gently caress me.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Oh, gently caress me.

Calm down, I don't know exactly where you are. Heck, that might be where Asehujiko is! :v:

E: Actually, there's probably still enough smoke for you to bug out.

dublish fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 8, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

dublish posted:

I think our naval asset might as well be in the Baltic Sea. This is its view looking west/southwest along the river.

:sigh:

...I don't suppose this game models indirect fire with tanks, does it?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Krysmphoenix posted:

Target arc set.

For the Motherland! :ussr:

Fire At Will! :getin:

nononononono do not set target arc!!! (suggestion not order, but see below...)

Target arcs have distance! Anything beyond the distance you set will be entirely ignored by your tank

Also you see that grey square you have inside your arc? That isn't a tank that you can see. That is a "possible contact" which means nobody can see it, but something was there recently. IF that contact has moved North -- guess what, it will be outside your target arc -- and thus will be promptly and entirely ignored by your tank

People, please please read what was written about target arcs.

If you can't be bothered to do that, at least remember that they also need a distance component

e: Just seen the lie of the land. It won't make a great deal of difference whether you have the arc or not - you can't see much of anything, but you might as well not limit yourself. As long as you're unbuttoned (with no arc set) you should see it within 10 seconds of it appearing, whatever "it" might be, and then your crew will turn the gun on it.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 8, 2014

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Comstar, do you want the glory of rushing into certain death or shall it be my honor? :v:

RedLobster
Nov 19, 2010

Original Character
!DO NOT STEAL!

RedLobster posted:

I want 2,1 and 2,3 to dismount and move to OP Diglett.
Can my dudes make that trip without getting exhausted and with 1 squad separated from the officer?

Got lost last page.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

TehKeen, here's the view looking west from the house in which you've ordered your MG team to set up.

E:^^^ RedLobster: 2,3 is with Gamerofthegame at OP Lapras and can easily quick to Diglett without getting tired. 2,1 and 2,2 can quick to Diglett in less than 2 minutes, but I'd move about a third of the way (preferably when you have cover) to make sure they're still fresh when they get there.

dublish fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 8, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

simplefish posted:

nononononono do not set target arc!!! (suggestion not order, but see below...)

Target arcs have distance! Anything beyond the distance you set will be entirely ignored by your tank

Also you see that grey square you have inside your arc? That isn't a tank that you can see. That is a "possible contact" which means nobody can see it, but something was there recently. IF that contact has moved North -- guess what, it will be outside your target arc and will be entirely ignored by your tank

People, please please read what was written about target arcs.

If you can't be bothered to do that, at least remember that they also need a distance component

For directly West and turning North, I have trees blocking my vision. For directly North, I have allies already there and there's no way the Germans are there. So my line of sight in this situation in any other direction than the one I have is either certainly empty or has poor visibility.

I know that's not a tank, just a "possible contact", but what else am I going to fire at? I was under the impression the "Target Arc" order was "Fire at anything that moves"

I didn't know about the distance component, nor do I know what exactly my range is. I can't seem to find that anywhere. So I just painted an arbitrarily large triangle and will go back and edit once I figure this out a bit more.

I'll admit, I'm a newbie here in a really bad spot so I'm flailing around trying to figure out what to do. How would you handle this?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah, sorry. I edited to be less shouty (it's very late in my timezone) and I hadn't seen the screenshot of what you could see.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

For directly West and turning North, I have trees blocking my vision. For directly North, I have allies already there and there's no way the Germans are there. So my line of sight in this situation in any other direction than the one I have is either certainly empty or has poor visibility.

I know that's not a tank, just a "possible contact", but what else am I going to fire at? I was under the impression the "Target Arc" order was "Fire at anything that moves"

I didn't know about the distance component, nor do I know what exactly my range is. I can't seem to find that anywhere. So I just painted an arbitrarily large triangle and will go back and edit once I figure this out a bit more.

I'll admit, I'm a newbie here in a really bad spot so I'm flailing around trying to figure out what to do. How would you handle this?

I'd use the face order. It'll make sure your turret is pointed in a given direction, which is about the best you can do right now.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Your tank will target things without a target arc.

On a map like this range isn't really an issue.

For both of the above, if your trained Soviet tank crew can see a target, and if they think they can do damage to it, and if you haven't restricted them, they'll shoot at it.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So Face will do pretty much the same thing as Target Arc in this situation, except not limit my maximum range. They'll still fire at whatever they see.

Sounds good to me. Editing my previous orders. (since it's a minor change, not going to bother repeating that post)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Not setting a target arc, in addition to not limiting range of engagement, will also not limit your turret turning (which setting the arc would; for example, if something German were to drive/run past you North of the ford and you had the arc you would not shoot at it. No arc = your men would turn the turret and send them an early Christmas present)

To be honest I'm not sure if a Face command will necessarily work, if you're bogged*, but I can't see it doing any harm either. At any rate, a Face command still lets the turret rotate as your tank commander sees fit.

*since the Face command is to reposition the hull, not the turret - although, if you don't set a target arc the turret normally goes with the hull. So I don't know what happens if the hull can't turn and you don't set an arc. Maybe it will turn the turret. Maybe nothing.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 8, 2014

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

a good rule for tanks - if you can see the target, you can shoot it. You can tell somebody who knows about tanks from somebody who doesn't by how close they push on a target. Think of your vehicle as a permanently zoomed in sniper in an FPS - hit hard from afar and hope nobody gets near you.

I somehow missed that the soviet orbat puts the platoon co in an infantry squad (at least as far as I can tell right now, won't be able to watch the video for a bit). Oops, my bad Grey.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Target Arc only really has two purposes

1: so your tanks don't get distracted from what you want them to shoot at. Like, if you set them to overwatch a street in a town, you won't want them turning to engage a 2-man scout team passing by several fields away.

2: So you can lie in wait. If you are holding a treeline, you mightn't want your men to shoot (because that would give their position away). Instead, the MG team wait until the enemy are in the middle of an open field, marching upright, spot the whites of their eyes, and let loose at 20m, instead of trading fire while the enemy were in their treeline 100m away.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

dublish posted:

TehKeen, here's the view looking west from the house in which you've ordered your MG team to set up.

Well, at least it's a pretty view!!!

Requesting orders clarification from капитан Herp regarding what he'd like the MG that isn't rushing the town to be doing, given that line of sight is pretty iffy on this approach.

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 8, 2014

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright. I think my orders are going to be as good as they can get for now, and I need to scurry off to the dentist. Thanks for your help Simplefish.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

No problem, and good luck!

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RedFlag posted:

I somehow missed that the soviet orbat puts the platoon co in an infantry squad (at least as far as I can tell right now, won't be able to watch the video for a bit). Oops, my bad Grey.

dublish posted:

This is a rifle squad. It has 12 soldiers in it, which makes it special. The doofus with the pistol is me. Since my men wouldn't know what to do without me, I'll be doing my best to make sure I'm the last one to take a bullet. 2nd and 3rd squads both have 11 men each.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Merry Marauder, Upen, I'm thinking of leaving my T-70 on whichever side of the tracks it ended up on.

What's the plan for the infantry that caught a ride? They're no MG team but if I understand how the infantry works, they could have ended up with a light machine gun (DPM) and a few might have proper rifles instead of SMGs. e: They're a tank hunter team, SMGs and grenades
Depending on what they're armed with, we could ask their commanding officer to:

- keep them as extra eyes down the rails, or
- send them into the trees south of us, or
- send them to scout further into the town

simplefish fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2014

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

simplefish posted:

The Merry Marauder, Upen, I'm thinking of leaving my T-70 on whichever side of the tracks it ended up on.

What's the plan for the infantry that caught a ride? They're no MG team but if I understand how the infantry works, they could have ended up with a light machine gun (DPM) and a few might have proper rifles instead of SMGs. Depending on what they're armed with, we could ask their commanding officer to:

It's a Tank Hunter Team, so 3 SMGs, plus grenades.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The 2nd Company current objective will be to form up and prepare for seizing the rail station.

Until 1st Company get into town, we won't have any cover from a sudden German advance. I want any and all Tank Hunter squads to keep their eyes on both the Rail Station and the road. Hopefully our troops will be in place to get the station next turn.

HMGs, I want at least one of your groups to rush the Rail Station immediately and try to set up there. Its a bit of a gamble, but it may work, an early position there will be a big deal in defending the point. Most, if not all of our assets are heavily delayed. It is likely the krauts are suffering the same thing.

Good luck Renegades. Try not to get yourselves shot.

You need orders for your AT Gun guy, you need to specify which hmg you want to go to the rail station and what the other is supposed to do, you need to give specific orders to your platoons on where to go. You need to tell them when to get off the truck, where the truck should go, etc.

You need a plan for your company other than just vague generalities based on the overall plan I have provided.

You also need to tell grey where your specific HQ squad should go.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
The AT squads should stay with their SMG platoons until the platoons themselves are destroyed, they won't be very much use outside the leadership bubble of the squad they are attached to, this applies to all infantry.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

dublish posted:

It's a Tank Hunter Team, so 3 SMGs, plus grenades.

Ah, thanks, good to know

dtkozl posted:

The AT squads should stay with their SMG platoons until the platoons themselves are destroyed, they won't be very much use outside the leadership bubble of the squad they are attached to, this applies to all infantry.

Well, I say "good". They're about as far from their SMG platoon as they can be.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there anything for the IS-2 group aside from trying to manoeuvre into position?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

simplefish posted:

What's the plan for the infantry that caught a ride? They're no MG team but if I understand how the infantry works, they could have ended up with a light machine gun (DPM) and a few might have proper rifles instead of SMGs. Depending on what they're armed with, we could ask their commanding officer to:

I'm planning on staying roughly where I am for a minute or three unless Marauder has plans for me. I think the most valuable thing we can do is keep an eye on the rails to get an idea of what the Germans are up to, at this point all we know is they've got a pziv and 2 squads of riflemen across the river.

Wish we had that HMG though.

e: We have 0 idea of what's crossed the western ford, I'd like to know if they have some trucks or tanks swooping around to take us from the north.

uPen fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 8, 2014

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Asehujiko posted:

Is there anything for the IS-2 group aside from trying to manoeuvre into position?

Nah. Please don't ram me down the slope.

uPen posted:

I'm planning on staying roughly where I am for a minute or three unless Marauder has plans for me. I think the most valuable thing we can do is keep an eye on the rails to get an idea of what the Germans are up to, at this point all we know is they've got a pziv and 2 squads of riflemen across the river.

Wish we had that HMG though.

e: We have 0 idea of what's crossed the western ford, I'd like to know if they have some trucks or tanks swooping around to take us from the north.

Yeah, hang out for now, at least until we see if there's a mirrored rush.

Maybe duckfoot can get eyes on the W ford. If we can find a safe place from which to do so.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TehKeen posted:

Well, at least it's a pretty view!!!

Requesting orders clarification from капитан Herp regarding what he'd like the MG that isn't rushing the town to be doing, given that line of sight is pretty iffy on this approach.

Just provide overwatch and cover. Its up to your discretion: Do you cover the town, or do you cover the station? Do whichever you believe best.

To all my men, feel free to ignore my orders. If you think you have something better, co-ordinate amongst yourselves and do it. I trust you all will make the right decisions for self-preservation.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To all my men, feel free to ignore my orders.

The best order you've ever given!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

This is some Hitler in the Bunker stuff, Herpicle. You have one squad anywhere near the objective (and a tank hunter team on the E edge of it), the rest of 2nd platoon straggling across the L9 ford, one platoon spread across P6-7, and one in a woodline at P8. You yourself are nowhere near the objective.

Well, that's me not having a darn clue how to read the labelled map. But hey, I always like to think "maybe next turn".

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Boy, am I glad I'm not in 2nd Company :lol:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Nah. Please don't ram me down the slope.

Yeah, hang out for now, at least until we see if there's a mirrored rush.

Maybe duckfoot can get eyes on the W ford. If we can find a safe place from which to do so.

The view from Ford Fuschia towards OP Jumpluff. The road atop the ridge directly across the river runs southeast from B-5 to C-6, then angles east to pass south of the visible buildings towards OP Iglybuff. If you can get eyes to the railroad track at B-4, you might be able to see the ford, but I wouldn't count on making it that far before you run into a panzerschrek.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Comrades Comstar and Jaguars!, let's try to coordinate what we're doing since we're all using the same truck. Comstar, Herp wants at least one of us to rush the rail station, so that unit should probably use the truck to get there the fastest and set up. I'll volunteer for the suicide mission glorious charge, so if you want off before I head in, lemme know.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Well, orders are pretty simple this turn. Hold tight, wait for the bombardment to pass, and stand by for further orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Orders for 3rd Company, 1st Heavy Tank

Position my tank so that it resembles the location and facing of the marked location in the screenshot below as closely as possible. Avoid ramming the other IS-2.

• Locked thread