Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Are we going to get updates in this thread too or are we supposed to check in on the per-side threads as well? At least maybe Grey could copy-paste them here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

Are we going to get updates in this thread too or are we supposed to check in on the per-side threads as well? At least maybe Grey could copy-paste them here?

I was going to copy paste them with a FOG less map.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Execu-speak posted:

One of the funniest things I've ever seen is way back in CM:BO I had a pioneer squad holed up in a building that lit up a Sherman Firefly passing on a nearby road with their flame thrower. The crew bailed and it cooked off.

Yeah, I remember they were effective back in the old games, but in Red Thunder they don't seem to be effective against tanks at all. I think there was even some testing done on this by the grognard types on the Battlefront forums, and they found them ineffective. They might change it in a patch, who knows. I think they are planning to add flammable buildings and whatnot into the game as well, like in the old CM games. Right now flamethrowers just kick up a bunch of smoke.

I do know that flamethrowers own when it comes to hosing down bunkers, buildings and trenches though. You will wipe out entire squads with them.

The game is buggy at the moment. For example, there is a rather game-breaking bug that prevents squads from being able to enter some of the buildings at all, period. It only seems to affect some laptop users though (like me). It makes some of the maps unplayable.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

This map is 100% accurate, but it doesn't help you tell who is who.

This map is 100% inaccurate, but at least you know who is where!

And, for you lucky viewers, here is a combined map.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Well, it sure feels like the soviets just took the town without a fight. It's not going to be fun digging out those forward positions at all I imagine.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Yeah, it really looks like the German commanders were expecting more of a straight-up fight in the south of the map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Didn't realize the Germans were sending so many men towards the Soviet starting point. Things could get ridiculous if they find an empty clearing, save for the two Stalins.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Excitement brewing in Soviet Thread.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah, even the one bogged down T-34 is small peanuts given the fact that the Germans are feeding half their units into the town and the other half are slowly walking the literal bottom edge of the map.

Its actually really funny watching how badly the Soviets are losing their poo poo when they`re actually in a really good spot, fog of war and all that I guess.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm going to let them stew for a while and then just post the reminder that if I fouled up and order, its because their orders were not clear enough. Plus I've just laid in orders for roughly 50 units, there are going to be mistakes somewhere!

Just wait intil the artillery lands on that ford where they are about to try and funnel two companies of infantry. That's going to put the cat amongst the pigeons!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Dunno if this is helpful, but here's a transparent overlay for the gridmap. It's sized 1900x1600, so slightly different from the (native?) size of the maps, but it should be workable.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

I'm really enjoying the indignation over Grey not being a mindreader who also has perfect control over the game's engine.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

No plan survives contact with the enemy, etc etc.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm going to let them stew for a while and then just post the reminder that if I fouled up and order, its because their orders were not clear enough. Plus I've just laid in orders for roughly 50 units, there are going to be mistakes somewhere!

Just wait intil the artillery lands on that ford where they are about to try and funnel two companies of infantry. That's going to put the cat amongst the pigeons!

You should just explain that as officers making mistakes. poo poo happens. Half the reason the Jutland LP was so fun was because things did not go as planned.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Herpicle :allears:

The Merry Marauder posted:

Oh, gently caress me.

I cannot wait for the next turn.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 8, 2014

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008

Green Intern posted:

I'm really enjoying the indignation over Grey not being a mindreader who also has perfect control over the game's engine.

At least both sides are complaining equally.

I didn't realise quite how much the Germans committed to the far south of the map, they're going to be useless for most of the hour whilst they blunder around finding nothing. Also, is that single panther about to get in a gun duel with the two is-2s or won't they have line of sight?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

ArchangeI posted:

You should just explain that as officers making mistakes. poo poo happens. Half the reason the Jutland LP was so fun was because things did not go as planned.

Man, Jutland was awesome. Says the guy who never even once got hit on any of his three botes

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, Jutland was awesome. Says the guy who never even once got hit on any of his three botes

Says the subordinate who is no longer sporting the most stylish of avatars :colbert:

e: I wonder if the new people are starting to get the idea that right now, this is about as organised as their force is going to get. It's all downhill from here :getin:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 8, 2014

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the Russians may have reached a turning point.

Willie Tomg's guessing that the German's haven't made it into town and is planning to rush his unit to the objective, but uPen is urging caution, since he's expecting the Germans to have sent a bunch more guys than they have.

I'd laugh my rear end off if they wind up squandering their early advantage by giving the enemy too much credit. But I may have misread the situation.

A quick question: would it possible to capture enemy vehicles? Like if the Russians managed to bail the Panzer IV in town and chase off or kill the crew and any other troops, could they stick some guys in and drive it around? It's probably unlikely as hell if it's even possible, but I suppose it'd give the bogged T-34 crew something else to do (if you couldn't just shove infantrymen in there).

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think the Russians may have reached a turning point.

Willie Tomg's guessing that the German's haven't made it into town and is planning to rush his unit to the objective, but uPen is urging caution, since he's expecting the Germans to have sent a bunch more guys than they have.

I'd laugh my rear end off if they wind up squandering their early advantage by giving the enemy too much credit. But I may have misread the situation.

A quick question: would it possible to capture enemy vehicles? Like if the Russians managed to bail the Panzer IV in town and chase off or kill the crew and any other troops, could they stick some guys in and drive it around? It's probably unlikely as hell if it's even possible, but I suppose it'd give the bogged T-34 crew something else to do (if you couldn't just shove infantrymen in there).

uPen is right that it's generally better to take it slow and not overreact to incomplete information. He might happen to be wrong in this case but I think he's making the best call with the info he has. Rushing into the objective will lead to confusion, mixed-up forces and exhausted soldiers.

Really, with one big objective like this, it's not to difficult for one side or the other to contest it and deny the points to the enemy, so who wins would come down to kill/death ratio. The focus should be on getting into the best ground possible from which to kill the enemy, not to focus so much on the objective.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I think it's going to be pretty hysterical in the next Russian video when the arty starts falling immediately, pants are poo poo, and it turns out to be an almost totally ineffectual five rounds/minute 'barrage' that wastes a company of points to kill two dudes.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
These pre-planned barrages don't need to do ranging or whatever, right? They start with full accuracy?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Willie Tomg posted:

Your first sentence is beyond correct, its 100% descriptive. The second sentence is pure supposition. This is an army of latter day volunteers to Fascism, insanity is 100% on the table here.

Comments on this post?

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Comments on this post?

I'm honestly having a hard time parsing it, other than apparently he watches Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Is it as incoherent as it seems or do I need to go to sleep?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Pimpmust posted:

Says the subordinate who is no longer sporting the most stylish of avatars :colbert:

e: I wonder if the new people are starting to get the idea that right now, this is about as organised as their force is going to get. It's all downhill from here :getin:

Sorry man, but had it long enough, and Pearson beckoned.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

sniper4625 posted:

Comments on this post?

It sounds like he's advocating against delaying or redirecting the crossing based on incoming artillery which may or may not be a real threat, when half of one company is already strung across Ford Western Pokemon with another in prep to head across. Even if the goal is to play cautiously he's got a good point, better to complete the crossing and prepare positions north of the river rather than delay, split the forces and likely get a lot more people killed by German tanks and MGs as they try to cross later without smoke.

Of course it doesn't help his argument that he comes across as a lunatic, but from a spectator standpoint its a hell of a lot more entertaining.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I request a reclassification of the river T-34 to a gunboat.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Pierzak posted:

I request a reclassification of the river T-34 to a gunboat.

Armed Sealand outpost.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

unwantedplatypus posted:

Keep in mind that their infantry cannot have crossed their ford. Looking at the map, it took 1st company five minutes to cross the five squares to ford B8. Even being generous, at most they are nearing ford L8 or are currently crossing ford P7. This is why I ordered TonySnow to bombard ford P7. Either it halts the enemy's advance long enough for us to mop up their advance elements, or we inflict significant casuatlies. We have half of our forces covering L8, so I don't think we will need artillery there.

I guess he forgot people can ride vehicles?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I assume hes thinking that they have equal numbers of tanks, limiting the number of troops crossing. He's also betting his Panthers are better than the Russian tanks. (to be fair, all they have seen so far is T34's and T70s.)

The ford bombardment is a good idea, the Russians have gotten more troops across, but they have put all their eggs in one basket, and that basket is about to be shelled constantly for a good while - most likely enough to spook the Russians in playing it safe. at that point they either have to go the long way around to the upper right ford, or risk moving into the open for a ford in the left.

The movement of the IS-2 is going to be key, if I were the Russian CO, I'd take the risk of trying to interdict the ford (which is what I thought they wanted to do, hence the tank positioning) and try and pick off some of the tanks they know are in the region.

As it is, I can see the Russians panicking now and throwing away an early lead and a frankly terrible German deployment of a whole company of men. They need to take their licks and get their infantry into the town, where their SMG guys will rule the roost.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Whoever loses will have forgotten the most important lesson of all: Victory goes to the bold!

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

One of the things I learned playing these games is that things can get really hosed up in really unpredictable ways so I'd say it's still way too early to say anything about what's going on.

Yvonmukluk posted:

A quick question: would it possible to capture enemy vehicles?

Nope.

Velius posted:

I think it's going to be pretty hysterical in the next Russian video when the arty starts falling immediately, pants are poo poo, and it turns out to be an almost totally ineffectual five rounds/minute 'barrage' that wastes a company of points to kill two dudes.

I think they would be better off doing that. If I were in charge, I would have locked down those fords starting on turn 1 with a sustained, low intensity barrage. I would use the lowest rate of fire possible (the 'harass' mode) and maximum ammo allocation. You could lock down those fords for 15-20 minutes or longer. Shrapnel can cause casualties from very long distances, especially if the enemy are up running about, and even one round landing near a squad can cause a lot of casualties, disorganization, and morale loss. Infantry also move pretty slow, so it's hard to get them through the fire zone without more rounds coming down, even on the slowest rate of fire. Infantry crossing fords move at a snail's pace, so it would be even more effective.

Another thing is that when a heavy barrage is coming down, infantry will duck down and hide from it, but if the rounds are intermittent and slow to come, they have time to poke their heads back up again in between salvos, making them even more vulnerable. If your rounds are off target, you can adjust fires without losing much ammo as well. I use low intensity barrages like that in these games all the time and they can decide the course of a battle easily.

If they use a 'medium' barrage for a short duration it might not be nearly as effective.

steinrokkan posted:

These pre-planned barrages don't need to do ranging or whatever, right? They start with full accuracy?

Yep. Pre-planned barrages are usually pretty accurate and you can have heavier guns air-burst their shells over the target, which can be really, really nasty. You can't use air-bursting shells in the middle of a battle unless you have a target reference point for them to shoot at.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

To all my men, feel free to ignore my orders.

Herp is still the best, althought Willie's post is close.

:allears:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If a real Soviet commander tried to ignore orders he'd be dead before the execution order was drawn up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Riso posted:

If a real Soviet commander tried to ignore orders he'd be dead before the execution order was drawn up.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. At all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Riso posted:

Ahem.

quote:

As German resistance stiffened, Mikhail Kirponos the commander of the Southwestern Front issued instructions to cease offensive operations that were immediately countermanded by his superior Chief of General Staff G.K. Zhukov who was visiting the headquarters. Zhukov insisted that the counter-attack continue against any counterarguments. As a result Rokossovsky's command was bombarded with conflicting orders. According to Lieutenant-General D.I. Rjabyshev, Rokossovsky "expressed no ambivalence about the proposed counteroffensive"[20] and refused a direct order, effectively ending the dispute between Zhukov and Kirponos

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

My reasoning for the below orders is as follows. We have a ton of poo poo south of the river. Everything we've seen so far from the ruskis is north of it. Either we're horribly out of position (I think this is unlikely) or we're being suckered into thinking that the Russians are all north (a maskirovka situation that I think is likely).

:feelsgood:

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!

Kenzie posted:

One of the things I learned playing these games is that things can get really hosed up in really unpredictable ways so I'd say it's still way too early to say anything about what's going on.

Nope.

I think they would be better off doing that. If I were in charge, I would have locked down those fords starting on turn 1 with a sustained, low intensity barrage. I would use the lowest rate of fire possible (the 'harass' mode) and maximum ammo allocation. You could lock down those fords for 15-20 minutes or longer. Shrapnel can cause casualties from very long distances, especially if the enemy are up running about, and even one round landing near a squad can cause a lot of casualties, disorganization, and morale loss. Infantry also move pretty slow, so it's hard to get them through the fire zone without more rounds coming down, even on the slowest rate of fire. Infantry crossing fords move at a snail's pace, so it would be even more effective.

Another thing is that when a heavy barrage is coming down, infantry will duck down and hide from it, but if the rounds are intermittent and slow to come, they have time to poke their heads back up again in between salvos, making them even more vulnerable. If your rounds are off target, you can adjust fires without losing much ammo as well. I use low intensity barrages like that in these games all the time and they can decide the course of a battle easily.

If they use a 'medium' barrage for a short duration it might not be nearly as effective.

Yep. Pre-planned barrages are usually pretty accurate and you can have heavier guns air-burst their shells over the target, which can be really, really nasty. You can't use air-bursting shells in the middle of a battle unless you have a target reference point for them to shoot at.

That is super loving gamey and would make for a boring LP.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
loving phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dude are you reading this thread and posting in the German thread? Maybe you should stop either one of those.

• Locked thread