Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Is the documentary about the behind the scenes on Fully Flared widely known? I watched it on youtube and I knew they obviously had a hard time putting that poo poo together but MY GOD. The punishment.

I had no idea this existed, thanks!
I assume this is it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v912Jm02zKQ
I'll have to watch it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Yep that's it. Tons and tons of unused footage. Also something to keep in mind that doesn't get mentioned in there: Marc Johnson was in serious alcoholic mode for pretty much this entire era. :what:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
There was some interview with Marc Johnson I read a while back, maybe on chromeball incident, where he comments on his landing/ride-a-way style at the time as being a product of being a drunkard. I always dug his style and it was weird to learn that. In Pretty Sweet you can see that his landings seem a little different.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

There was some interview with Marc Johnson I read a while back, maybe on chromeball incident, where he comments on his landing/ride-a-way style at the time as being a product of being a drunkard. I always dug his style and it was weird to learn that. In Pretty Sweet you can see that his landings seem a little different.

http://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/2013/07/chrome-ball-interview-62-marc-johnson_4.html

Kind of makes sense, like how they say you're more likely to survive a drunk driving crash if you're the drunk one because you aren't tensing up as much.

quote:

How was it working with Ty this time? I know at the end of filming for the Lakai video the two of you weren’t even talking…

I didn't really work with Ty on Pretty Sweet. I went out with him maybe ten times after Fully Flared. But coming off that video, there was just an unspoken rift between us and our interactions felt superficial to me. We are always cordial to one another but it wasn't like how we were friends a long time ago. I had to understand how he must have felt; I ruined our friendship. He was trying to help us make the most of our potential while I went off the deep end with alcohol abuse. He just got tired of watching me drink myself sick and crazy. I can't blame him. But at the same time, I did apologize to Ty numerous times afterwards for my behavior while we were filming that video. I really wanted him to know how sorry I was for all of that, and that I finally saw how difficult it must have been to watch a friend do that to himself and cause so many problems.

I made a lot of mistakes during those years and a lot of them were because I wasn't in my right mind for a long time. After I got sober, I could really see what Kelly, Rick and Ty were trying to tell me about my drinking. I spent a lot of time really owning all of that poo poo and coming to terms with the person that I had become. It hurt in so many ways. That kind of regret really broke something in me and I've just kept to myself since then. I didn't really bump into Ty much during Pretty Sweet. He had a lot on his plate with an injury he was dealing with and he had a whole new group of guys to film with. But I'm always cheerful when I see him. He's always been friendly to me so I take that and just be glad that it's not something much worse like it could be.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It must have been another interview, I looked briefly but can't find it. He talks specifically about how he looks different when skating drunk. I remember him saying something about "just trying to hang on" in those days.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
So uhh, an Australian football player (rugby league) recently had a photo of himself pissing in his mouth spread all over twitter. As a result, his team fired him (he has a long history of pissing where he shouldn't). The newspaper who is the biggest financial supporter of rugby league ran a story today saying that it's a common and widespread practice in the skating world. Is that actually a thing?

It's even a VICE story. http://www.vice.com/read/pissing-mouth-australia-skaters-troy-weston

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Dang man I'd think the kind of person with the mental fortitude to piss in their own mouth is exactly the sort of guy you want on your rugby team.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
Ah god loving Nyjah

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Greenplastic posted:

Ah god loving Nyjah

I assume this is Street League related and a news item says this was one of the most exciting events they've ever had sooooooo....spoiler tags for any further comments plz. Thanks!

Edit: Either that or you're one of his neighbors in San Juan who are telling the cops his poo poo is too loud, thanks google news!

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 30, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
are there any good edits of the Street League skating that minimizes the bro chat about doing the right tricks on the right obstacles at the right times?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I dunno I usually just play videogames until I hear them nut over something, such as Luan Oliviera doing the best hardflip I've ever seen.

Shane O'neill and Luan landed some incredible tricks on that stop. Pretty cool.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 1, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I got to watch that Fully Flared documentary, that was really interesting, thanks for sharing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I must've skipped the beginning or something because I watched it again and they at least mention that Marc Johnson is partying hard. I've also been watching Vice's epicly later'd series on Koston and Hufnagel which are pretty good.

My first serious board was a Keith Hufnagel pro model. I didn't know who he was I just wanted a REAL (both brand and actual) board and our body types aren't exactly similiar...but that was still the board I learned almost everything on. Learning about him and what he's done now is kind of surreal.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
Those vice things are pretty good. Good to see professional athletes who smoke & drink and so on . Lizard King nailing that mega ramp thing while he was on a MD comedown was impressive.

Anybody here have experience with those hybrid longboatrd/ street deck dealies? Likes of the Tesseract or the Yoface series. Watching vids and the flips theypeople land with those things look loving spectacular, maybe it's the extra leverage & momentum. Look snug for sliding as well

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My son went to the bike shop with me to get some clipless pedals for my bike shortly before his birthday and promptly got distracted by the skateboard decks. I snagged the one he liked best when he went to look at other stuff and we put it together on his birthday:

Other than my poo poo-tastic tape job and double-checking tightness on nuts, he did everything himself.

And now I want a longboard because this thing is pretty fun.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Breddy cool, gotta love Guy Mariano. Get that youngster a copy of Pretty Sweet and a youtube link explaining how to fall and why pads aren't for sissies.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That's one sweet setup. Love the yellow splash!

Just want to echo the above, invest in some gform pads. They're pricey but, if he skates often, worth every penny. They can turn a 6ft fall from the coping onto your knees from something debilitating into something just merely painful. The other bonus is gforms not only fit under your skinny jeans but they look cool if you're wearing shorts. Younger kids seem to care about that kind of thing.

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

Butch Cassidy posted:

My son went to the bike shop with me to get some clipless pedals for my bike shortly before his birthday and promptly got distracted by the skateboard decks. I snagged the one he liked best when he went to look at other stuff and we put it together on his birthday:

Other than my poo poo-tastic tape job and double-checking tightness on nuts, he did everything himself.

And now I want a longboard because this thing is pretty fun.

Get a longboard dude. That'd be a pretty cool father son/activity, plus he'll get to watch you fall on your rear end.
My dad used to take me rock climbing when I was a kid and that owned bones.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm 25 and I just bought my first skateboard ever. :3:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 9, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Breddy cool, gotta love Guy Mariano. Get that youngster a copy of Pretty Sweet and a youtube link explaining how to fall and why pads aren't for sissies.

Done and done. Not sure why I hadn't thought to get him a video before you mentioned it, though :iiam:

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

Get a longboard dude. That'd be a pretty cool father son/activity, plus he'll get to watch you fall on your rear end.
My dad used to take me rock climbing when I was a kid and that owned bones.

He already follows me up mountains, to the range, and along bike trails, he might as well add "board" to his already lengthy list of "I watched dad fall off/into ___."

Siivola posted:

I'm 25 and I just bought my first skateboard ever. :3:

Hey, buddy! Only mine is a cheapy Amazon special Quest that just came to the door:

Plan to bang it around until it needs new wheels/bearings and then upgrade them and the trucks when I better know what I want.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Butch Cassidy posted:

Done and done. Not sure why I hadn't thought to get him a video before you mentioned it, though :iiam:

I figure it'd be fun to see the guy who's name is on his board but it's a must have either way. Videos like that and Yeah Right have magic power. In fact I probably should've said get "Yeah Right!" instead but all I could think of was Guy Mariano capping off PS with THAT LAST TRICK.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Took the board for a spin. Skated three kilometres and didn't fall down once, so I guess that aikido I did in high school was good for something!

But drat, sidewalks are really lovely here in the suburbs. I could really use wheels bigger than 52mm, but I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest complete there was.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Have some skateboarding content - https://www.herstwood.com

I may have posted this before but a good friend owns/runs the company, housemate films for him, and the entire team has spent time on my couch over the last few years.

Mainly Brisbane locals and some other dudes from around Australia. I got old and dont roll as much as i should now but thats why mini ramps were invented.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CPC2j6hnWg

:stare:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Anyone heard or ridden one of these? My friend wants to sell me his brand new one for $75 and wondering if it's a good deal

http://www.bustinboards.com/Board-Type-Modela-35-p/bn_mod_street.htm

I'm specifically looking for a board just to cruise around on.

Ass Catchcum fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 10, 2014

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm wanting to put together a board that's a little more cruiser inspired, but still more like a standard street board. I typically prefer 7.75" wide decks and smaller, harder wheels. I want something, roughly, the same size that I can ride around town without pushing as much, but can still ollie up curbs. Would my best route just be risers and bigger, softer wheels? Maybe sand out some wheel wells to help avoid wheel bite.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

rear end Catchcum posted:

Anyone heard or ridden one of these? My friend wants to sell me his brand new one for $75 and wondering if it's a good deal

http://www.bustinboards.com/Board-Type-Modela-35-p/bn_mod_street.htm

I'm specifically looking for a board just to cruise around on.

Thats worth it. Bustin is a solid company. Whats on it? It'll fit the bill as a cruiser.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You know what's the best thing about starting a new hobby? Every single thing on Youtube is the best thing ever. I was looking at Gou Miyagi videos and found some footage from the All Japan Freestyle Contest from last September:

Amateur highlights, and the pro tournament's round one, round two and rounds three and four.

Freestyle's cool, right? :shobon:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

XIII posted:

So, I'm wanting to put together a board that's a little more cruiser inspired, but still more like a standard street board. I typically prefer 7.75" wide decks and smaller, harder wheels. I want something, roughly, the same size that I can ride around town without pushing as much, but can still ollie up curbs. Would my best route just be risers and bigger, softer wheels? Maybe sand out some wheel wells to help avoid wheel bite.

Alot of company's make filmer boards these days - think a cruiser/z flex style thing that's closer to a normal board size with a single kick. I have a one that I set up with standard size trucks and 55mm wheels that gets me to and from the shops pretty easily.

Krooked make zip zingers and zip zangers that are the poo poo.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Siivola posted:

You know what's the best thing about skateboarding?

Everythings cool, right? :shobon:

Fixed for truth.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I assume you've seen this Gou Miyagi video part (from Heroin's Video Nasty) but even if you have it's necessary to post this regularly to make sure everyone has seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk8dy4NIzBU

I heard from this thread that he wanted to have a video part with no ollie based tricks. I don't know if he succeeded but he did make one of the best parts ever so there's that.

P.S. Watch that loving James Capps video you dicks it's basically a new Lakai level part and it's one of those "Oh poo poo, this is where the top level of street skating is at now eh?" things.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My daughter tried my longboard and promptly told me she wants one. Guess it is time to save up and build a decent little cruiser for her:

And the boy still likes his board, unsurprisingly. Even with he :geno: trucks/bearings/wheels on the Quest, long boarding is way more my speed than skateboarding. Just carving around all mellow with smoother ride is nice. My wife wants a regular skateboard, too, and won't let me get a new kick scooter until she has one. I guess she used to ride a friend's back in San Fran.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
That is a loving awesome photo. Hooray for more skating families!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I assume you've seen this Gou Miyagi video part (from Heroin's Video Nasty) but even if you have it's necessary to post this regularly to make sure everyone has seen it.

It's beautiful enough to watch again. Can you recommend any other goofy funhavers like Miyagi? I don't know jack about tricks and technical stuff yet, so it's really hard for me to appreciate a regular skate video, but wiggly dick stalls? I can dig those.

I don't know if you've noticed, but this skating poo poo is hard. I tried to ride down the hill I live on, but I kept wobbling so much I had to abort. I keep leaning back like a doofus, I need to learn to put enough weight on the front leg. I also tried figuring out tic tacs, but didn't get anywhere and came home frustrated. Then, after watching a couple of videos, I realized I first need to learn to kickturn, so I had to go back out to practice that.

I'm hoping to land a Boneless sometime before winter sets in. They look so much more fun than plain old ollies.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Siivola posted:

It's beautiful enough to watch again. Can you recommend any other goofy funhavers like Miyagi? I don't know jack about tricks and technical stuff yet, so it's really hard for me to appreciate a regular skate video, but wiggly dick stalls? I can dig those.

I don't know if you've noticed, but this skating poo poo is hard. I tried to ride down the hill I live on, but I kept wobbling so much I had to abort. I keep leaning back like a doofus, I need to learn to put enough weight on the front leg. I also tried figuring out tic tacs, but didn't get anywhere and came home frustrated. Then, after watching a couple of videos, I realized I first need to learn to kickturn, so I had to go back out to practice that.

I'm hoping to land a Boneless sometime before winter sets in. They look so much more fun than plain old ollies.

That video is cool but his first video, in my opinion, is way cooler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGgqvsz3qA

The entire video is a demo on board control. Everything he does in here is super crazy

On an unrelated note, I hadn't skated since 2004 until today after watching David Gonzalez' Possessed to Skate and getting super hyped. I think I have a 7.75 Jason Dill AWS with 52mm spitfire wheels on super loose independent trucks, so everything is pretty small for me (6'3" 180). Despite all that, proud to say I still have heelflips, (pop) shove-its, and 180s on lock; of course with no style whatsoever. I even managed a kickflip after like 20 tries. But then I tried to tail slide a ledge and tore up my elbow. Skating is rad but I'm pretty scared of getting hurt so probably won't keep at it :saddowns:

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't think of many people who go as far out as Gou, but you might have fun just watching contests from the 80's. I think I posted one a few pages back that Thrasher put up recently where kickflips and bluntstalls were the OMFG tricks of the day. For current skaters who care less about flip in flip out/count the stairs/encyclopedia of fliptricks done fakie I would say find videos of Ben Raybourn, Chris Haslam, Dave Gravette and Aaron Homoki. You're still going to be getting a lot of technical skating in those but they've all staked claims on outdated tricks, unique spots and fun*.

*Note: Ben Raybourn and Dave Gravette may wear facelooks like they're being forced to do these tricks by Al-Queda but they are having fun.

Edit: I would reccomend checking out David Gonzalez too, who's still a good tech skater who trends towards transition, but who's main attributes are speed and a very concerning lack of fear.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 10, 2014

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can't think of many people who go as far out as Gou, but you might have fun just watching contests from the 80's. I think I posted one a few pages back that Thrasher put up recently where kickflips and bluntstalls were the OMFG tricks of the day. For current skaters who care less about flip in flip out/count the stairs/encyclopedia of fliptricks done fakie I would say find videos of Ben Raybourn, Chris Haslam, Dave Gravette and Aaron Homoki. You're still going to be getting a lot of technical skating in those but they've all staked claims on outdated tricks, unique spots and fun*.

*Note: Ben Raybourn and Dave Gravette may wear facelooks like they're being forced to do these tricks by Al-Queda but they are having fun.

Adding to this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxgFKAUGUlQ

is a really good non-techy part. There are a few flip tricks and they're mostly out of blunts. I love this kids speed, he just rips through everything.

JoeyTrez
Mar 2, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I heard from this thread that he wanted to have a video part with no ollie based tricks. I don't know if he succeeded but he did make one of the best parts ever so there's that.

Why have I never seen this. This is loving amazing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't know that I'd call it "fun" but Clint Walkers part at the end of Ambig's "Modern Art" was another part where I was less impressed by the "wow, what board control!" factor than the "wow, someone stop this man before he kills himself" factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
If you love Gou Miyagi then you'll love these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OpOkFCf1Zs