Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Just hit twenty, was a wudang in the last game so i thought i would try out shaolin. How does the arhat fist form compare to the other two styles? I would love to just punch people.

Applied as BongQuixote

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Server's back up boys.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Thanks to Troika and BERGfu for showing me the ropes of cart hijacking. I got 3 levels out of 15 minutes worth of "work", and most of that was because I hadn't discovered the high level zones initially so I had to ride there the first time.

To anyone doing kidnapping quests at a low level: Beware those freebie treasure chests. I've never gotten anything great from them (some food, occasionally some XP), but there's a somewhat common chance they spawn two guys on top of you who will MURDER THE poo poo OUT OF YOU if you don't dodge away from their LOS the second they spawn.

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Thanks to Troika and BERGfu for showing me the ropes of cart hijacking. I got 3 levels out of 15 minutes worth of "work", and most of that was because I hadn't discovered the high level zones initially so I had to ride there the first time.

To anyone doing kidnapping quests at a low level: Beware those freebie treasure chests. I've never gotten anything great from them (some food, occasionally some XP), but there's a somewhat common chance they spawn two guys on top of you who will MURDER THE poo poo OUT OF YOU if you don't dodge away from their LOS the second they spawn.

They also disable your skills, you do however have enough time to actually run away out of their fov.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Zaodai posted:

As long as you can survive a hit form the guards, I'm pretty sure you can just run through, kidnap the guy and turn the quest in before the guards catch up to you and beat you to death.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

The servers reset right after the maintenance, resetting the time to 8 AM as well.

Events will occur approximately five hours before they should, so plan accordingly until this gets fixed!

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Hy_C posted:

Server's back up boys.

Dead again!

muizvoid
May 14, 2014
hows this game so far? is it theme park or sandbox or mixed?

TomSTAR
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone getting a "Map currently unavailable, move to a birth location?" at the character select screen? Wtf does that exactly mean? I cannot access my main character at this moment because of this message, yet I can log onto an alt.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

muizvoid posted:

hows this game so far? is it theme park or sandbox or mixed?

Theme park but it's an open pvp kung fu game with a core group of goons who played Age of Wushu together. It's not a sand box by any measure but there's plenty of room for shenanigans.

TomSTAR posted:

Anyone getting a "Map currently unavailable, move to a birth location?" at the character select screen? Wtf does that exactly mean? I cannot access my main character at this moment because of this message, yet I can log onto an alt.

Server's hosed at the minute.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
The PvP combat in this game is awesome and insanely difficult (to master), which to me is the main appeal. I't pretty much on-rails and PvP free until a certain point, but new activities start showing up gradually. Some are PvE, some are PvP, some are PvE but incentive PvP. If Wushu was 50% sandbox, this is 25% sandbox. It has many, many features you would typically never see on a western theme park MMOG.

P.S.: It's amazing how watchable the PvP in this game is. I've had such an incredible amount of fun spectating, commenting on and fighting in arena matches with goons. The King of Fighters mode is the loving best.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 11, 2014

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

TomSTAR posted:

I'm having this problem too, and submitted a ticket. Out of curiosity, were you zoning into another area when you got disconnected?

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

Liberatore posted:

P.S.: It's amazing how watchable the PvP in this game is. I've had such an incredible amount of fun spectating, commenting on and fighting in arena matches with goons. The King of Fighters mode is the loving best.

It's actually a highlight watching people fight in the arena, and oh man my heart start to race with excitement when I see someone from a rival guild with a RED TEXT name in the field.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Blacktooth posted:

I'm having this problem too, and submitted a ticket. Out of curiosity, were you zoning into another area when you got disconnected?

That seems unnecessary. Claymore's servers are going to poo poo right now; Most zones have crashed, so if you were in one of them when it happened, you can't play at the moment. Luo Yang is fine, as are instances, and like 4 arena rooms.

What I'm saying is this is affecting everyone that plays on Claymore and it should be fixed soon.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

Liberatore posted:

That seems unnecessary. Claymore's servers are going to poo poo right now; Most zones have crashed, so if you were in one of them when it happened, you can't play at the moment. Luo Yang is fine, as are instances, and like 4 arena rooms.

What I'm saying is this is affecting everyone that plays on Claymore and it should be fixed soon.

I was in Luo Yang. I figured it was just another hiccough until others said they were in game and in Luo Yang. It seemed like a reasonable action at the time.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Blacktooth posted:

I was in Luo Yang. I figured it was just another hiccough until others said they were in game and in Luo Yang. It seemed like a reasonable action at the time.

My guess is you were probably in a different realm than the working one. However treizebee said he was in the tactics 1 arena and that's where my Shaolin was as well, but he can log into his character and last I checked, I couldn't.

Either way there's like a hundred posts about it in the official forums.

Edit: They fixed the arenas at least, so that's why treizebee was able to login. It works for me now too.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 11, 2014

TomSTAR
Apr 6, 2009

Blacktooth posted:

No, I logged out, came back and saw that I could not access my character- I logged out in Mount Shaolin. I'm thinking it affects characters that were in an open world map. Seems like characters in an instance ( e.g Luo Yang, HP, arenas, etc) aren't affected.

skystream92
Jul 1, 2007

Liberatore posted:

The PvP combat in this game is awesome and insanely difficult (to master), which to me is the main appeal. I't pretty much on-rails and PvP free until a certain point, but new activities start showing up gradually. Some are PvE, some are PvP, some are PvE but incentive PvP. If Wushu was 50% sandbox, this is 25% sandbox. It has many, many features you would typically never see on a western theme park MMOG.

Honestly, watching some of the Taiwan PvP tournaments is absolutely insane, especially their animation cancels. Makes it almost seem like street fighter. There was an Infinity video I was watching that was animation cancelling counters into other counters.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Applied as tokenbrwnguy.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Needs more Union Jack.

Suicide Pacmen
Mar 26, 2002

Rabbit season!
Applied as Scarmiglione

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

IRC
Cause you faggots like irc
irc.synirc.net #aow
or for you mibbit folks
http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23aow&server=irc.synirc.net

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So Mastery / Guild Boon info.

Guild boons are accessed by hitting i and hitting guild bonus in the top right.

You can respec them but to lock a stat you need one of the purple chests from our events and do a 3+ man event.

Guild boons gain the most if you just have base stats, so willpower, strength, reflex, tenacity, or constitution.

Masterys.

To access masterys, get to 40 and find the button on your character sheet between your stat points.

To level anything up you need mastery points. These come from mastery levels. To increase that you click the arrow in the top right of the mastery page and this spends kungfu points.

TLDR put 15 in everything and click on the dancing guys.

If you can read and stand it, look at the general nodes. Your Basic nodes are poo poo and your school nodes are nice but expensive.

General nodes cost very little to upgrade and give you more than basic nodes. You only want to get the ones that you will use which is most of them. They give you the advanced stats like evasion or exo-attack and point by point is more than just getting more willpower or strength.

The "Hide Inactive Nodes" doesn't work.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NGST1R1nnU0YfH7TOuYPJex8c895OaicovoJuVwBkLs/edit

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 11, 2014

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Do not put 15 in everything at first. Look at the nodes that you want that require 2 stats at 15. Get 15 of those 2 stats then get and max the node. Move through the mastery tree this way.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Just hit twenty, was a wudang in the last game so i thought i would try out shaolin. How does the arhat fist form compare to the other two styles? I would love to just punch people.

Applied as BongQuixote

I wanted to answer this earlier but forgot.

I personally believe it's not viable to do a pure punching build, especially in PvP. Expiation has several amazing attacks that are crucial to the Shaolin play style. Namely Staff Thrust, Typhoon, Tiger Stomp and Tiger Leap. Not all of them are necessary, mind you, but I can't imagine any Shaolin build that skips Expiation completely.

The other issue is how Arhat Fist is designed. It's mostly low cooldown attacks with weak secondary effects. A charge in Expiation knockdowns or roots, a charge in Arhat Fist just slows. Combined with the short (nothing likw Wu-Tang) animation in switching from staff to fist, most of these skills are probably not worth using in PvP. There's still some great PvP skills in the set, but not enough to make a staff-free custom set.

Arhat Fist is awesome in PvE, though. Low cooldown, powerful attacks, most of which come with a movement component (Shaolin has 8 charges!). It's insane how good my Shaolin is at botting with Arhat Fist; I do more damage than my Harmony or Splendor ever did (due to the aforementioned cooldowns) but have twice the defensive stats and a heal that restores a fourth of my health. You still want to use Typhoon and probably Tiger Stomp, but you will be mostly punching or kicking your way through mobs.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Liberatore posted:

Arhat Fist is awesome in PvE, though. Low cooldown, powerful attacks, most of which come with a movement component (Shaolin has 8 charges!). It's insane how good my Shaolin is at botting with Arhat Fist; I do more damage than my Harmony or Splendor ever did (due to the aforementioned cooldowns) but have twice the defensive stats and a heal that restores a fourth of my health. You still want to use Typhoon and probably Tiger Stomp, but you will be mostly punching or kicking your way through mobs.

Every time i think i have found the school i will finally play someone post something good about another one. I managed to get a S&M to 42 and those firewheel are fantastic but now i hear Arhat fist is PVE goodness incarnate.

Thank you third world reggin for the mastery Info.

The Quake
Nov 1, 2006

Why do the people I'm crony'd to keep loving losing their position. This is bullshit.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Actually he got promoted!

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Third World Reggin posted:

Guild boons gain the most if you just have base stats, so willpower, strength, reflex, tenacity, or constitution.

Equipment seems to use similar stat budgets as guild boons do, so the same applies here: you primarily want base stats over anything else for your gear, the difference in stat value is sizable. +Health might be the one exception that can be situationally comparable to CON efficiency, but at least for Wutang, 32 health per constitution, CON rolls with something like 10% more health than flat +health does. And you get the chi on top.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

As a Harmony I get 26 HP per point of CON, so in terms of HP, the two stats (flat HP versus CON) are nearly the same. CON still has that Chi bonus, which granted isn't particularly useful, but still something.

Also, 1 STR = 8.3 Exo attack. With my Shaolin, this value is 7.6. And 1 STR = 2.25 critical. This value is under 1 for my Shaolin. Which explains why my Harmony has over twice as much critical, despite worse gear (but lots of STR).

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Liberatore posted:

With my Shaolin, this value is 7.6. And 1 STR = 2.25 critical.

Using these numbers with three stat rolls you might get in a piece of level 50 hero's order gear:

44STR
365 exo attack
99 crit

OR

52 crit

OR

270 exo attack

... so base stats own basically.

e: oh woops, one of those numbers is for Shaolin and the other Harmony. Fixed for 8.3/2.25 of Harmony.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 12, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So we got a late night crew that has been doing fight clubs.

2000 tends to be our guild events.
After that people run bamboo if they need it or hijacks. Also world without thieves. People also do dungeons in this period.
When someone gets bored enough normally 2130ish, they make a fight club and we do 1v1s, 3v3s, or king of fighters 3v3 where if you win you keep going.

Most guilds do not do this and you can invite who ever you want. It can also help you get your daily arena poo poo done for KFPs.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Also, arenas are probably the best way of getting scrolls or whatever those things are called that upgrade your skills. Even if you don't win, the dailies give a decent amount of coins.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Rate your officers, it affects their pay.

angellinck
Jul 9, 2014
I wish we could choose champions of their leaders, like a "fighter" for that certain leader. So every win, can be shared with your sponsor :D. I would make my sponsor rich ;)

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Third World Reggin posted:

Rate your officers, it affects their pay.

Speaking of which now I actually have powers what is the current policy on applicants? Are we still taking pretty much anyone who applies with no referral as White Tigers or being a bit more selective right now? We've got 8 at the moment none of whom have a referral or post in this thread, although one has the bio 'hitler did nothing wrong' and one is from that guild we slaughtered last night.

\/ Got 9 spots free so unless I see them get a referral or post in here I'll reject them later today.

Aleth fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 12, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No alts
Get goons in
Get 4chan in

If we need room kick people out

If you think we got tons of room invite people to white tiger

Try to keep 5 or 10 spots free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
Fight club and the subsequent rooms that went on for hours was great tonight.

King of fighters remains the best gamemode ever. For participants and spectators alike.

Wudanging it up.

• Locked thread