Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah ok. I hope my nifty 50 pic made you want dessert to follow your pasta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

SoundMonkey posted:

hey canon-havers

there's something special about your 50 1.8

...it has fewer aperture blades than my dealextreme spaghetti portioning device

yeah

I love this.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
the new canon pinhole is looking good

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

SoundMonkey posted:

hey canon-havers

there's something special about your 50 1.8

...it has fewer aperture blades than my dealextreme spaghetti portioning device

yeah

Just waiting for the lawsuit agsinst Canon.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004
Anybody have any experience with these Yongnuo flashes? They're pretty cheap and the diffuser for them is only $3.

http://www.amazon.ca/Yongnuo-Speedlite-trigger-Olympus-Standard/dp/B00BXA7N6A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This would be the first flash I purchase and I don't know how often I'll actually use it but I want the option to have something other than the pop-up flash for indoor candid shots.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

smooth.operator posted:

Anybody have any experience with these Yongnuo flashes? They're pretty cheap and the diffuser for them is only $3.

http://www.amazon.ca/Yongnuo-Speedlite-trigger-Olympus-Standard/dp/B00BXA7N6A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

This would be the first flash I purchase and I don't know how often I'll actually use it but I want the option to have something other than the pop-up flash for indoor candid shots.

They're pretty awesome. Just make sure you know what you're getting. Some models have TTL, others are just manual. I don't think this one has TTL.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

smooth.operator posted:

I just picked up a Yongnuo 650 (I think?) and it works gloriously. No TTL, but still great.

Edit: I definitely got a 560 III. I confused it with my gpu, which is in fact a 650.

Neowyrm fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 7, 2014

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Whats the consensus on the 70D? Theres nothing on it in the OP, but it's listed at the same price as the 7D on amazon right now. ($1k)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Whats the consensus on the 70D? Theres nothing on it in the OP, but it's listed at the same price as the 7D on amazon right now. ($1k)
7D will have slightly better AF, weather resistance, and much better burst write speeds (for shooting RAW), but I can't see any of those being a huge advantage over the 70D's slightly better image quality, live-view autofocus, better video, and tilty screen.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

LiquidRain posted:

7D will have slightly better AF, weather resistance, and much better burst write speeds (for shooting RAW), but I can't see any of those being a huge advantage over the 70D's slightly better image quality, live-view autofocus, better video, and tilty screen.

Thanks I'll keep it in mind for if/when I eventually upgrade. I just bought babbys first dslr(t2i) barely over a month ago, and I need to not spend stupid amounts of money for a while.

smooth.operator
Sep 27, 2004

LiquidRain posted:

Wouldn't better AF lead to better image quality? Is it more than your pictures being in focus?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The 7D has faster AF, so acquisition of a sharp image is quicker. It has no real bearing on image quality alone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Talked with a lady at borrowlenses, she said that Tamron just put out an update that the 150-600 production is so lagged that no one will be getting any deliveries before October.

Jerkfaces, I just want my super telephoto sniper rifle.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

xzzy posted:

Talked with a lady at borrowlenses, she said that Tamron just put out an update that the 150-600 production is so lagged that no one will be getting any deliveries before October.

Jerkfaces, I just want my super telephoto sniper rifle.

Then I'm really happy I went with the 400 f/5.6L instead - this thing is sharp :D

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I was thinking of getting a used 7D (most local are $750), as I need something EF mount APS-C to match my lenses & for HD video, but found a 60D for sale for $400. It has a couple scratches without having ever been dropped, but I doubt I'll ever need to resell it. Is it a good deal? I was desperate enough to consider a T3i. How's its AF?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Thanks I'll keep it in mind for if/when I eventually upgrade. I just bought babbys first dslr(t2i) barely over a month ago, and I need to not spend stupid amounts of money for a while.

Books. More books. Get a sturdy tripod. Then lens. Then a flash.

Wait it out for a year or 2 then spring for a new body

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

IanTheM posted:

I was thinking of getting a used 7D (most local are $750), as I need something EF mount APS-C to match my lenses & for HD video, but found a 60D for sale for $400. It has a couple scratches without having ever been dropped, but I doubt I'll ever need to resell it. Is it a good deal? I was desperate enough to consider a T3i. How's its AF?

7D Better AF <-> Articulate Screen 60D

Focus is not bad om the 60D.

If you are looking at recording video, have you considered the 70D? You have the good things from the 7D and the good thing from 60D and that with a touch interface on the screen and faster focus on live view.

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
New Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM on sale for $640 on ebay today http://tiny.cc/wiaqix. I don't think i can go for it after just buying the kit lenses, but seems like a good deal.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
They go for $500-600 pretty often.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

I've started getting into event and wedding photography. I was planning to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 for the weddings coming up, but my fiance just got laid off and now I'm not sure I can afford it. Would it be better to just take the hit and buy the 70-200, or would say a wedding ceremony be doable with a cheaper prime, like the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm? For reference I already have a 24-70, nifty fifty, and a superzoom for a walk-around.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

erephus posted:

If you are looking at recording video, have you considered the 70D? You have the good things from the 7D and the good thing from 60D and that with a touch interface on the screen and faster focus on live view.
I bought a 60D right when they came out as an upgrade to my Pentax K10D. Kept it for a week, returned it, and bought a 7D instead. The AF on the 60D was not nearly as good as I was hoping for it to be... but this was a primary concern for me, because I was planning on shooting a lot of action. Video wasn't a primary concern.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Winter Rose posted:

I've started getting into event and wedding photography. I was planning to buy a 70-200 f/2.8 for the weddings coming up, but my fiance just got laid off and now I'm not sure I can afford it. Would it be better to just take the hit and buy the 70-200, or would say a wedding ceremony be doable with a cheaper prime, like the Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm? For reference I already have a 24-70, nifty fifty, and a superzoom for a walk-around.
Do you need a fast tele in the first place? Save your pennies until your SO gets back on her feet, then get the Tamron 70-200/2.8 instead.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Do you need a fast tele in the first place? Save your pennies until your SO gets back on her feet, then get the Tamron 70-200/2.8 instead.

Yeah - unless this is steady paying work, buying a new toy when you've lost a family income is a bad idea.

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

timrenzi574 posted:

Yeah - unless this is steady paying work, buying a new toy when you've lost a family income is a bad idea.

Thanks, it is paying but not particularly steady at the moment - I have a day job to cover the bases. The problem is that for the weddings I've been to thus far, the 24-70 doesn't have a long enough range and the superzoom doesn't do well with poor lighting.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

erephus posted:

I just really can't afford a 70D, even the savings of getting a 7D instead of a 70D would be a big deal for me at the moment. Just hoping I'm not missing out on anything big going for the 60D. I usually just centre point focus for everything, and I don't shoot any action. Plus it fits my hand much better than a T3i without being legit heavy like a 7D.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Winter Rose posted:

70-200mm talk
I've not tried the Tamron but the Canon is truly exceptional. Besides the close range / intimate shots at the wedding where a wide is required the 70-200 keeps you out the way, allows great portraiture at a distance and is so sharp you may cut yourself. IS for poor or dark lighting.

Well rent one for the big wedding if you can't afford it or get the Tamron if comparable. That focal length is a group function killer. Hang out unnoticed and get superb shots.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Djimi posted:

I've not tried the Tamron but the Canon is truly exceptional. Besides the close range / intimate shots at the wedding where a wide is required the 70-200 keeps you out the way, allows great portraiture at a distance and is so sharp you may cut yourself. IS for poor or dark lighting.

Well rent one for the big wedding if you can't afford it or get the Tamron if comparable. That focal length is a group function killer. Hang out unnoticed and get superb shots.

If you're on Nikon, the 80-200 2.8 is dirt loving cheap now and the price difference is well worth losing 10mm on the short end.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I bought the 1dsII and I have to say, I really like the quality of it's raw images. They have a lot of room to play from what I've seen so far, and it's autofocus is just spectacular. I'm now saving for a 1dx or it's replacement because after using my 5dII for a long time, the sheer responsiveness of the 1d is just insane. What have I started now? My poor wallet!

misc-1 by sildargod, on Flickr

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I really enjoy my 70D. Took it out a few times on sports shoots and it was phenomenal. Can't compare it to a 7D though. Since I record video (that STM lens is loving great) it helps, and the tilty screen is great when trying to get low angles. The touch screen is nice also cause when recording video, it makes rack focusing soooo smooth. The STM lens is super silent compared to my 17-50 which sounds like an engine turning over in AF mode. All in all it depends on what you need it for, and since I need an all around camera that is ideal for sports, but can do video, it was the perfect choice for me.

I'd love to see what the 7D mkII does, but probably won't be able to afford it as my next purchase is going to be a sigma 120-300. I only have a tamron 70-300 and it's not nearly as fast as I would like. But that's a while off. New kid, moving soon, and wife isn't stoked on spending 1.5-3k for a lens. Even though they don't depreciate in value nearly as bad as bodies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I don't think that idea applies that well to Sigma lenses than it does to first party ones.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Have a upgrading question. My wife bought a 20d about 9 years ago and the sensor is showing its age. It was stored away for a little bit and after brining it back out the sensor has quite a few dust spots that show up in every picture. We looked it up and this was before the "self-cleaning sensor". I can't find a reliable guide for cleaning it ourselves that don't have 10 conflicting opinions.

Would it be worth it to get the camera serviced or buy her a new one? My budget is about $600-750. I thought about getting her a T5i but just read all the "lol"s that follow it in the thread.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Sacred Cow posted:

Have a upgrading question. My wife bought a 20d about 9 years ago and the sensor is showing its age. It was stored away for a little bit and after brining it back out the sensor has quite a few dust spots that show up in every picture. We looked it up and this was before the "self-cleaning sensor". I can't find a reliable guide for cleaning it ourselves that don't have 10 conflicting opinions.

Would it be worth it to get the camera serviced or buy her a new one? My budget is about $600-750. I thought about getting her a T5i but just read all the "lol"s that follow it in the thread.

The T5i doesn't get lols because it's a bad camera, it's just because it's not really that much better than the T3i. The frame rate's a little faster, and it has the touch screen (which is actually pretty awesome), but the sensor is pretty much the same. So it comes down to whether or not the slight upgrades are worth the extra money to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cleaning the sensor is one of those things that's only scary the first time. I do basically what this site suggests:

http://www.howtogeek.com/162413/how-to-cheaply-and-safely-clean-your-cameras-dslr-sensor/

You might be able to get away with only needing the air blaster to blow dust away.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

timrenzi574 posted:

The T5i doesn't get lols because it's a bad camera, it's just because it's not really that much better than the T3i. The frame rate's a little faster, and it has the touch screen (which is actually pretty awesome), but the sensor is pretty much the same. So it comes down to whether or not the slight upgrades are worth the extra money to you.

The T4i and T5i are almost identical. Like, they added a mode knob that spins completely around and changed the plastic grip material on the T5i, and that is about it. They both have the touch screen which is a worth while upgrade over the T3i. It's multi-touch, so you can do the pinch/zoom gesture when looking at your photos, it is way easier to navigate the menus by touch, and it is awesome in live view to poke at what you want to focus on and zoom in on to check when manually focusing.

So if you want to save some cash, see if you can find a T4i.

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

dorkanoid posted:

Then I'm really happy I went with the 400 f/5.6L instead - this thing is sharp :D

Care to post some examples? I feel it's my next purchase.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

mrlego posted:

Care to post some examples? I feel it's my next purchase.

Here's a set of bird pictures (some in the middle are 85mm f/1.8 bizarrely enough, and some of the later are taken with 70-200 + 1.4x extender, a combo I borrowed - but the EXIF should point you the right way; for the record, I was missing my 400L the whole time I shot with the 70-200 :( )

Some 100% crops (click for full size)

EDIT: One more:

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2014

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

xzzy posted:

Cleaning the sensor...

This is my favorite instructional video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LzFNo_P8wQ

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.

dorkanoid posted:

Here's a set of bird pictures (some in the middle are 85mm f/1.8 bizarrely enough, and some of the later are taken with 70-200 + 1.4x extender, a combo I borrowed - but the EXIF should point you the right way; for the record, I was missing my 400L the whole time I shot with the 70-200 :( )

Very nice! I see you're using a full frame. For myself I've noticed my 200mm is way too short coming from a T3i/1DII so I figure the 400mm 5.6 will cover my sport/animal shooting needs. I've been cropping a lot to get good composition. I've had it with the 70-200mm for nature.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

mrlego posted:

Very nice! I see you're using a full frame. For myself I've noticed my 200mm is way too short coming from a T3i/1DII so I figure the 400mm 5.6 will cover my sport/animal shooting needs. I've been cropping a lot to get good composition. I've had it with the 70-200mm for nature.

That's a great picture though! :D Now I want to visit a pig race :(

I actually brought my 550D too, for the first day; however, I preferred the autofocus of the 6D, and 400mm rather than "640mm" was a better fit for the distances involved. It's just as sharp on crop :)

The second day a friend called me and told me that it was a good day for bird photos; sadly I only had my camera and the 40mm, so I borrowed his 70-200 IS II and 1.4x extender. It was "ok" when resized for web, but the pictures from the 400L are significantly clearer.

Out of the 580 pictures I took that first day, I kept 58 in that gallery, and that culling was mostly due to basically having shot 6-10 pictures in series of each subject; only a handful pictures were out of focus or otherwise unusable (or uninteresting, not faulting the lens for that!).

All in all, it's very good for the price (compare, for instance, to its longer/faster L siblings).

A few shots with the 550D;

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Just wanted to add my respect for this picture. It is awesome.

Deep DOF, piggy with green jacket on left is just as sharp as leaping piggy on right. But then high shutter speed to freeze piggies in mid-air? I guess it's a bright sun shiny day and you can crank up ISO a bit and get away with that.

edit: and besides the technical bit.. PIGGIES RACING!