Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Take the Gordon Ramsay approach and yell at the player no matter what during said minigame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Right, so, Day 15, a little over half the month left:

Unfortunately, the team that I initially signed up for - Team Primetime - has done juuuust about nothing. So it looks like I'll likely be up on the wall of shame for that.

On the bright side, the other three "teams" I'm working with have it together, and I'm getting a whole lot done (especially considering that I started 7 days ago). I've finished four tracks with three additional tracks currently in the works, and I've also had the opportunity to do a bit of sound effect work in the meantime. I've had a lot of fun working with Team Terrible TripleD Gramphics; picking up a soundfont from an old game and forcing myself to work with it tends to make for rather enjoyable, educational experiences. I've been taking a look at music from OoT and MM and trying to find a way to take their downplayed dungeon ambiance and mix it with some more melody. Stuff like this is what I've come up with so far.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
For everyone worrieed about the wall of shame, remeber Twine is an easy option if you've got a story in your head and need a programming out.

Last night Stinkmeister and I had a wonderful improv recording session that I am extremely happy.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
As of right now, we're overy halfway through the month. You know, 31, not cleanly divisable and all.

Everyone feeling good about those :toxx:'s? :v:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Half way progress report:

My game's coming along nicely. The game play logic is more or less done and so are most of the in game animations and most of the UI. I have pretty much all of my art done too, but it's because I cribbed nearly 100% straight from Google Image search.

Going to spend most of tomorrow working on the video play back system and editing videos and sound clips.

I think if I do this next year, I would like to get someone(s) else to do art, sound, and music.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Game report: no screenshot this time. Couldn't get the image-comparison function working the way I wanted it, so I turned one judge into three, each with its own comparison function. You need two of three judges to like your painting for the level to be completed.

Did more character art for Hidden Asbestos.

Ultigonio made some sweet jams for our in-game segments. :cool:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I haven't made as much progress as I would've liked by the halfway point, but I'm... somewhere.

:3: Turtles all the way down indeed.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Jo posted:

Those jams will be even sweeter very soon! The only issue with shifting between multiple projects (other than the fact that it can be time-consuming) is that sometimes you find yourself on a roll with a given set of ideas, and so you'll neglect the other project(s) for a while and make them worried.
Speaking of the music for Rage of Painting, though, I'm a little surprised how it's turning out - initially, I was very unsatisfied with this particular song I'm working on, but it's become something that I enjoy a fair bit, in addition to using some chord progressions that I don't see much of in my own work.

Mo_Steel posted:

:3: Turtles all the way down indeed.
The entire slope part had me laughing far too hard.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I bet you're all just jonesing for what my game has to offer.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

As of right now, we're overy halfway through the month. You know, 31, not cleanly divisable and all.

I'm actually kind of regretting NOT toxxing, to be honest. I figured I'd lose interest and ignore my project like last year but I've worked on it literally every day. And not like "oh I'll just mash at it for a few minutes" like I've spent 12 hour days just working on this and learning about Unity.

IT'S EDUCATIONAL!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Jo posted:

Did more character art for Hidden Asbestos.

I've put Jo's SWAT guy sprites in-game, they looking AMAZING! Got all the art I need for your dudes to be running around, killing and dying like real heroes to the sweet chip-musical jams of Ultigonio :911: Now I just need some filthy terrists to blow up and we've got something like a game coming together. Unbelievably it's looking like I might actually have something ready for the deadline.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Shalinor posted:

I'm heading towards the finish line and nothing is going to stop me

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shalinor posted:

I have never felt more confident in saying "OH gently caress, OH poo poo. gently caress." :v:

I will not, however, let my Toxx be my downfall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Harold Krell posted:

I bet you're all just jonesing for what my game has to offer.

Stu Pickels, the college years (complete with bedbugs)?

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Well if I don't get any actual art from my art guy this is going to be a heck of a game about testing studio lights.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Looks like me (and my teammate) are going on the wall of shame.

Neither of us have managed to come up with a decent idea... but at least we are going to work together on a game that's just unrelated to the theme :)

Good luck to any of the goons in the running, I'll definitely still keep my eye on this thread!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMXMNnoo4Fk

Things that are new from the last video I posted:

• We have a hella cool logo!
  • More developer art! (Dodgeball's making good progress on having actual art, though.)
  • Levels that are now dynamically built from text files!
  • Working money counter! (But nothing adds to the counter yet.)
  • lovely menu screen!

We might have a game to submit yet.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 17, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I've been pushing out builds to IRC to get feedback but we've done a lot of work on level 3 over the last few days. Audio is coming along nicely, we're getting menu work done, and soon level 3's boss will be complete. Which leaves Level 4, lighting, and polish for the last 10 days. Should be able to pull into that finish line on time. Here's as build of Level 1 further along, where Zardoz now shoots out the iconic weaponry featured in the movie

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/141777/DanceMagic/Web.html

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Day 17: Finally fixed the music bug! Whoo!

Also: PEEEERRROOOM DOXTER!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jo posted:

Day 17: Finally fixed the music bug! Whoo!

Also: PEEEERRROOOM DOXTER!

Herro, I'm permdoxter. I make videa gaems.

I can't wait to see the final product. Everyone's stuff so far is looking really good.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.
Day 17:

Everything is looking quite nice, base game mechanics are running, graphics are being made, I made some music and wrote a silly scenario. Now we're starting to put everything together, and it looks like we will be able to actually finish something here.

Here are some graphics and sprites:

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Day 18, I have spent more time in doctors offices than working on my game. :smith: I am now in the I hope I can get something done for the contest. Still need to build the physical props and get the FMV filmed. Code is only 1/4th the way done. I really wanted to get something nice done after my last years entry was so bad that even I said it was unfun.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Now I have a machine gun. JO - JO - JO.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm trying to decide if that is better or worse than the AR from the one in N64 Goldeneye. I think it actually compares favorably.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sBXITyWUM

Got me some new graphics and sprite animations. (read: 10 minutes in Photoshop.)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1sBXITyWUM

Got me some new graphics and sprite animations. (read: 10 minutes in Photoshop.)

Prepare yourself for the nimblebit lawsuit. Is he mowing lawns for dollars?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

poemdexter posted:

Prepare yourself for the nimblebit lawsuit. Is he mowing lawns for dollars?

No. He's mowing lawns for bux. If we're gonna infringe on copyright, we're going the whole mile. :unsmigghh:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Day 18. Finally decided to post an update because why not?

Just a little segment of one of the many things I've been working on for the project.

course I just realized it doesn't line up right but whatever it's public access :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Well, I guess I won't be reaching the finishing line this year. Circumstances changed. :(

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Protocol7 posted:

No. He's mowing lawns for bux. If we're gonna infringe on copyright, we're going the whole mile. :unsmigghh:

Each blade of grass is one tiny tower.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Super pumped. I'm still behind my original schedule by like a week but that schedule was really loose and flexible anyway. But now I basically have a deckbuilding game made. I am managing the deck/discard, playing cards, and cards can get you new cards, give you +Actions, do damage to the enemy, let you trash other cards, whatever I want.

Also there's this:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, 2/3s of the month in and I have a functioning game that only crashes sometimes. With no graphics, but whatever. Our budget was too low for your fancy MSPaint. Now I just need to teach myself how to make a java project into a web app.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Built my other non-cardgame scenes today (still have to switch out placeholder art/fonts and make the UI look nice), put in an appropriately themed points system, and also put in saving across sessions so you can continue where you left off previously.

I mean, how else are you supposed to go from humble beginnings...

...to world domination...

...and beyond?

Edit: By the way, I am now getting to the point where I am going to be trying to put in art/sound. So if there's anybody looking to contribute to a game, maybe your team bailed or whatever, PM me or respond and I can probably put you to use. Here's the type of stuff I'll be looking for, if you are interested in providing any of the below, definitely let me know:

Art: Title screen. Mostly static public access TV show set image, with an MRA character with limited animations in scene and some props (phone, keyboard, couch, fern, whatever). Maybe a couple female caller profiles. Dialog message boxes, buttons, fonts for labels. Card design, front and back. Card game playing area interface (hand panel, discard pile, playing zone background).

Sound: Title screen music, public access set music for call-in show, card battle music. I am thinking Casio-style demo beats. For effects, maybe some Charlie Brown style WHOM-WHOM-WHOM voices and whatever UI interaction, phone call and card-playing sound effects you can come up with.

You do not need to be an amazing artist, remember we are going for charmingly bad.

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 21, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

This might be the best set of games yet. I'm really looking forward to all of them this year (not just the two that I did voice work for).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We have awesome title screens now! (The red dot flashes, since the game's gonna be about making videos!)

We also have a UI!

And the UI changes!

The game now cycles through days of the week, and the week increases after every Saturday. The UI isn't quite pixel perfect, but I'm far from the polishing stage. Regardless, the game is getting closer and closer to where it needs to be.

Satire
Nov 23, 2013

Holy Snackers!
Welp, there's 10 days left. I've had to scrap my original rougelike idea and go for a top-down action game. I might be able to finish this. Maybe. If not, BRING ON THE :toxx:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

3 minigame arts done. 2 to go.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Last year, my development got hosed up because my mom died. This year, my aunt died. SA needs to stop killing my family. I'm still going to submit a game though, it'll just be seriously half-assed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

SlightlyMadman posted:

Last year, my development got hosed up because my mom died. This year, my aunt died. SA needs to stop killing my family. I'm still going to submit a game though, it'll just be seriously half-assed.
... and this year, my mom died in organization month too. SA GameDev, why do you hate moms and aunts? :colbert:

I think we're legit to where we could do a theme of "memorial to someone who died during an SA GameDev competition". You are not the first we've seen that happen to. Condolences, dude. :(

• Locked thread