Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropia posted:

hell i wouldn't know, but im guessing bureacratic insanity might have something to do with it. of course, it's not all that, i fully admit that israel is waging economic warfare on gaza, and putting pressure on hamas by embargoing anything that might increase their ability to fight. just like the west embargoed the axis. it's war man.

the point of the argument is the simply the reverse of what has been given here regarding the matter. saying that if hamas would disarm its rocket forces, israel would be obliged to lift the embargo is exactly the same as saying that if israel lifted its embargo, hamas would stop its rocket attacks.

the reason why neither will happen is that neither side trusts the other one bit, and for a good reason. saying that one side or the other is the baddie is pointless when both sides are engaged in a conflict where all rules and trust has broken down, and both sides employ inhumane means of waging war.

Has Palestine started actively mass-starving Israeli children? If not, then maybe one side is, in fact, the baddie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010
Just gonna post this joke from earlier because seriously, it is uncanny.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Entropia posted:

saying that israel has no right to exist is just as repulsive and disgusting as saying that israel should occupy the whole of palestine and drive the natives away. these people have lived here for generations, half of them as descendants of jews that arab countries themselves expulsed from their territories after gaining independence from the hated colonialists

Woah, protecting are we? Unless you feel that being a racist, colonial, genocidal state is a fundamental part of what Israel then it's entirely possible to destroy those elements without wiping Israel from the face of the Earth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Woah, protecting are we? Unless you feel that being a racist, colonial, genocidal state is a fundamental part of what Israel then it's entirely possible to destroy those elements without wiping Israel from the face of the Earth.

And again, it's perfectly OK to believe that a state should be wiped from the face of the earth. The DPRK, for example, should be wiped from the face of the earth and replaced with a better state. However, no residents living within the borders of the DPRK should be displaced.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."
The killing of the four children was really, really horrible. This from a journalist on the scene:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

More from Beaumont, who was on the scene and provided first aid to some of the child not immediately killed.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/16/witness-gaza-shelling-first-hand-account?CMP=twt_gu posted:

The retaining wall of Gaza's harbour sticks out into the Mediterranean about 100 metres from the terrace of al-Deira hotel, base to many of the journalists covering the conflict in Gaza. The first of the artillery shells came in a little after 4pm on Wednesday as I was writing on the hotel's terrace.

There is a deafening explosion as it hits a structure on the pier, a place we have seen hit before, where fishermen usually store their nets. Behind the smoke, I see four figures running, silhouettes whose legs are pumping raggedly. They clear the smoke. From their size it is clear they are a man and three young boys.

Where the harbour wall ends and the beach starts, there are a few brightly coloured tents and chairs for beach users in more peaceful times. The four figures jump on to the beach and begin running towards us and the safety of the hotel.

Only afterwards do we discover there are four others who are dead, all children, lying on the wall. I am shown a picture of one of the dead boys, his skin scorched and bruised. Their names are released later: Ahed Bakr, aged 10; Zakaria, 10; and two other boys from the Bakr family, both named Mohammad, aged 11 and nine.

The second shell catches the survivors as they reach the brightly coloured tents. As it explodes, my colleagues, now standing by the terrace wall, shout at unseen Israeli gunners who can't hear them: "They are only children."

The man makes it to the terrace first, scrambling up a steep sandy bank. A skinny man in his 30s, he groans and holds up a T-shirt already staining red with blood where he has been hit in the stomach. He faints, and as he grows pale and limp he is carried to a taxi waved down in the street.

The children are brought up next. Pulling up the T-shirt of the first boy, who looks about eight years old, we find a shrapnel hole, small and round as a pencil head, where he has been hit in the chest over the second rib. Another boy, a brother or cousin, who is uninjured, slumps by the wall of the terrace, weeping by his side.

The boy cries in pain as we clean and dress the wound, wrapping a field dressing around his chest, pressing to staunch the bleeding. He winces in pain, and he is clearly embarrassed too as a colleague checks his shorts to look for unseen femoral bleeding.

A waiter grabs a table cloth to use as a stretcher, but a photographer takes the boy in his arms to carry him to the ambulance that has arrived.

Other colleagues work on the final surviving casualty, an older boy. His arms are scuffed, and a bandage around his head barely staunches a head wound. He too is quickly carried to the ambulance.

In less than 10 minutes it is over. Even the smoke on the pier has died away, save for a last few drifting wisps.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Entropia posted:

after all, hamas has and continues to employ suicide attacks against civilians, and there isn't really any sort of defense that israel has against them except to wall off all potential attackers. it is heartless and cruel, but it does evidently work.

Okay. It does evidently work because the conflict has been ongoing for a century and shows no sign of stopping.

Meanwhile, let's look at the situation of other independence movements in modern western countries.
  • Irish (UK)
  • Scottish (UK)
  • Welsh (UK)
  • Québecois (Canada)
  • Basque (Spain/France)
  • Catalan (Spain)
  • Corsican (France)
  • Breton (France)

How many of these countries have used giant walls, blockades, and air strikes? Is separatist terrorism still an everyday occurrence in UK, Spain, or France? Would you say Israel's approach has been more successful against Palestinian movements than European approach to IRA/ETA/FLNC/etc.?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

[*]Scottish (UK)

Gotta keep out those northern barbarians.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

France has done worse to the Corsicans than what Israel is doing to the Palestinians: it rounded them all up, and put them on an island. Isn't that textbook apartheid?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropia posted:

saying that israel has no right to exist is just as repulsive and disgusting as saying that israel should occupy the whole of palestine and drive the natives away. these people have lived here for generations, half of them as descendants of jews that arab countries themselves expulsed from their territories after gaining independence from the hated colonialists

Ethnically pure "homelands" shouldn't exist. I'm not sure why that is so conversational in 2014.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Well, they were first offered parts of Uganda, but that just wasn't holy enough for them.

By the way, my sacred city is Dubai, and I hereby comission the UN and british troops to protect my claim.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ekeog posted:

More from Beaumont, who was on the scene and provided first aid to some of the child not immediately killed.

Clearly they were hiding sand missiles in sand castles.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28320901

quote:

Israel has urged thousands of people in east and north Gaza to leave their homes as it continues air strikes.
I find this interesting because from the perspective of someone in Gaza, that's basically saying "go to a poo poo refugee camp or we might accidentally blow you up."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Imagine the outrage if Hamas told Israelis to evacuate their cities because of the rockets. When Israel does it, its for humanitarian reasons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Radish posted:

Gotta keep out those northern barbarians.

As far as I'm aware that hasn't been used to hold back the hordes since the Roman occupation, and even then there's some debate about this.

There are far more contentious things that England has done to Scotland, Wales and Ireland, like flooding an entire village for industrial purposes but we managed to work it out like human beings rather than animals. For the most part.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Warning is better than no warning but "yo leave everything you own and hold dear because we're about to destroy it." is pretty lovely. The worst example was the warning the IDF gave to the center for disabled people. If the reports are true, they gave it far too late to realistically evacuate a place that had people with physical and mental disabilities.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Roman limes walls were more for tax collection than anything.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

[*]Irish (UK)

The 1960s UK government toyed with an idea of driving out all the Catholics out of the rich part of Northern Ireland and build a wall at the border.
But thought it was stupid as hell in the end.
In the later Troubles era, the UK also exhibited modern Israeli behaviour of patrolling around and kicking the poo poo out of anyone they wanted.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone compared Israel to Aztlan yet because if not I want to be the first.

Hispanics are just reemimgrating to their holy land.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I'm convinced Hellbeard is under strict Internet surveillance where he's unable to criticize the government lest he be punished.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

The 1960s UK government toyed with an idea of driving out all the Catholics out of the rich part of Northern Ireland and build a wall at the border.
But thought it was stupid as hell in the end.
In the later Troubles era, the UK also exhibited modern Israeli behaviour of patrolling around and kicking the poo poo out of anyone they wanted.

Whilst the British were kicking the poo poo out of people, the IRA were busy disappearing mothers of ten and the republicans and loyalists both were generally terrorising their own communities with kneecappings, banishments and executions. Let's not pretend there were goodies and baddies during the Troubles. But you know what brought it to an end? Sitting down together and having honest negotiations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cat Mattress posted:

Okay. It does evidently work because the conflict has been ongoing for a century and shows no sign of stopping.

Meanwhile, let's look at the situation of other independence movements in modern western countries.
  • Irish (UK)
  • Scottish (UK)
  • Welsh (UK)
  • Québecois (Canada)
  • Basque (Spain/France)
  • Catalan (Spain)
  • Corsican (France)
  • Breton (France)

How many of these countries have used giant walls, blockades, and air strikes? Is separatist terrorism still an everyday occurrence in UK, Spain, or France? Would you say Israel's approach has been more successful against Palestinian movements than European approach to IRA/ETA/FLNC/etc.?

[*]Algeria (France) :saddowns:

But needless to say, the Israel approach did not work. France was a legit apartheid state then.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah I was arguing about this with my mom last night and "Israel warns people to abandon their homes ahead of time" was used as a major selling point for why they are the good guys despite blowing up civilian buildings. Like seriously, this is a woman for whom Obama saying kids shouldn't eat pizza for every meal is tyranny, I'd love to see her reaction to being told "We're going to blow up your neighborhood, you have a few hours to get out. We might kill you anyway." And the fact that Israel has killed hundreds of civilians is horrifically being used as a point in Israel's favor, because it shows that Hamas is using civilians as human shields. Like literally innocent people dying from Israeli attacks prove that Israel is doing the right thing. Israeli propganda is really effective I guess.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 16, 2014

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hamas troops should form up rank and file and march to the barbed wire.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

HortonNash posted:

Whilst the British were kicking the poo poo out of people, the IRA were busy disappearing mothers of ten and the republicans and loyalists both were generally terrorising their own communities with kneecappings, banishments and executions. Let's not pretend there were goodies and baddies during the Troubles. But you know what brought it to an end? Sitting down together and having honest negotiations.
Yeah. The IRA, ETA, etc. all stopped their terror campaigns after negotiations, not by implementing apartheid policies on Northern Ireland and Basque Country.

South Africa also continues to exist even after lifting their apartheid policies, so if that's the result of lifting apartheid, Israel should totally lift it, since, hey, Israel won't stop existing! It's okay guys, you can change your ways and apologize and people will by and large forgive you! Those who don't? Well, if they go commit crimes because of it you go arrest them like you would in any civilized country.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah. The IRA, ETA, etc. all stopped their terror campaigns after negotiations, not by implementing apartheid policies on Northern Ireland and Basque Country.

South Africa also continues to exist even after lifting their apartheid policies, so if that's the result of lifting apartheid, Israel should totally lift it, since, hey, Israel won't stop existing! It's okay guys, you can change your ways and apologize and people will by and large forgive you! Those who don't? Well, if they go commit crimes because of it you go arrest them like you would in any civilized country.

Except Israel can't lift its apartheid policies because it they do the Arabs are going to wipe them out, much like the blacks wiped out the whites in South Africa.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ChikoDemono posted:

I'm convinced Hellbeard is under strict Internet surveillance where he's unable to criticize the government lest he be punished.

A fully inculcated authoritarian mindset is better than any surveillance.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
I just don't understand what the pro-Israeli side is expecting from this. We've seen this show before. All that is going to happen is a lot of civilians die and new people become radicalized as a de facto ghetto becomes even shittier. Besides a final solution to the Palestinian question, which would end irony forever, what the gently caress is the point here?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

This mess could have been avoided a long time ago if people followed the old 'do unto others' of their precious religions.

Talmud, Shabbat 31a, the "Great Principle posted:

That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really do wonder at this point if Israel fully deployed it's military, and started deliberately exterminating all Palestinians while saying it was for 'self-defense', would anything be different? I mean how many kids have died the last two weeks of this for no reason?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For all the talk about Israel being the jewsih homeland and whatever, here's a documentary on the politicization of Archeology in Israel/Palestine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NY0JF9VBQ8

tl;dw : Israel tries to make traces of Palestinian history disappear.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bishop posted:

I just don't understand what the pro-Israeli side is expecting from this. We've seen this show before. All that is going to happen is a lot of civilians die and new people become radicalized as a de facto ghetto becomes even shittier. Besides a final solution to the Palestinian question, which would end irony forever, what the gently caress is the point here?
As far as I can tell it's to break the Fatah-Hamas unity government, and for domestic political reasons. That government is recognized as the legitimate government of the Palestinian Territories by most countries, including the EU and US. Israel doesn't like the unity government at all, and would like to see it eliminated.

Hence why they negotiated the 'cease-fire' with Fatah, not Hamas. But it remains to be seen if Israel can actually break it, since apparently the latest chatter is that they're sticking with it, but with the conflict escalating who knows?

There are Israeli politicians basically calling to remove Palestinians from Gaza (it's been posted in this thread but I can't find it), but I don't think it's actually on the table yet. But since Israel is the only party with a plan here, we'll see how well they can stick to their plan, or even what that plan is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shooting them with soldiers and guns and bullets is too expensive and risky. There has to be some other way.

Also this is a good tweet

Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 9m

To people telling me Hamas was using these children as human shields, reports indicate they were playing football on the beach.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really do wonder at this point if Israel fully deployed it's military, and started deliberately exterminating all Palestinians while saying it was for 'self-defense', would anything be different? I mean how many kids have died the last two weeks of this for no reason?

Wouldn't work. You can't kill civilians in large numbers with ground troops and get away with it for any significant length of time. The pictures that leak out look way worse and are harder to explain away. So yeah, things would be quite a bit different. There'd still be lots of people supporting the action, though.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

euphronius posted:

Shooting them with soldiers and guns and bullets is too expensive and risky. There has to be some other way.

Also this is a good tweet

Christopher Hayes ‏@chrislhayes 9m

To people telling me Hamas was using these children as human shields, reports indicate they were playing football on the beach.
God, hiding weapons in a soccer ball? What monsters.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bishop posted:

I don't understand the issues enough to say what Israel's point, but the "US citizens who are pro Israel" faction basically says "Israel has to do this because Hamas hates them and wants to destroy them.". There's no deeper level of thinking than that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good Citizen posted:

Wouldn't work. You can't kill civilians in large numbers with ground troops and get away with it for any significant length of time. The pictures that leak out look way worse and are harder to explain away. So yeah, things would be quite a bit different. There'd still be lots of people supporting the action, though.

Good Citizen posted:

It just seems to me like the US political establishment is fine with letting Israel do whatever they want though, as long as it's so-called self defense.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently hatred is genetic, the moment a Palestinian child is born he is filled with intense hatred for all Jews and especially Israeli Jews.

:rolleyes:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean how many kids have died the last two weeks of this for no reason?

Mohammed Ayman Ashour, 15, killed in Khan Younis
Hussein Yousef Kawareh, 13, killed in Khan Younis
Ahmed Moussa Habib, 16, killed in Gaza
Ahmed Nael Mahdi, 16, killed in Gaza.
Basil Salem Kawareh, 10, killed in Khan Younis
Dunya Mahdi Hamad, 16, killed in Beit Hanoun
Siraj Ayad Abdelal, 8, killed in Khan Younis
Mohammed Arif, 13, killed in Gaza
Mohammed Malake, 1½, killed in Gaza
Mohammed Ibrahim al-Masri, 14, killed in Beit Hanoun
Mohammed Khalaf al-Nawasra, 4, killed in al-Maghazi
Nidal Khalaf al-Nawasra, 5, killed in al-Maghazi
Salah Awad al-Nawasra, 6, killed in al-Maghazi
Raneem Judeh Abdel Ghafour, 1½, killed in Khan Younis
Mariam Atiah Mohammed al-Arja, 11
Saad Mahmoud al-Hajj, 17, killed in Khan Younis
Fatima al-Hajj, 12, killed in Khan Younis
Abdallah Ramadan Abu Ghazal, 5, killed in Beit Hanoun
Yasmin Mohammed al-Mutwak, 4, killed in Beit Hanoun
Bassam Abdel Rahman Khattab, 6, killed in Deir al-Balah
Nour Marwan al-Najdi, 10, killed in Rafah
Shahd al-Qreinawi, 7, killed in Al-Breij
Anas Youssef Qandil, 17, killed in Jabalia
Qassim Jabr Adwan Ouda, 16, killed Khan Younis
Qusai Issam al-Batesh, 12, killed in Gaza
Mohammed Issam al-Batesh, 17, killed in Gaza
Manar Majed al-Batesh, 13, killed in Gaza
Anas Alaa al-Batesh, 10, killed in Gaza
Muayed al-Aaraj, 3, killed in Khan Younis
Hussam Ibrahim al-Najjar, 14
Ziad Maher al-Najjar, 17, killed in Khan Younis
Sara Omar Sheikh al-Eid, 4, killed in Rafah
Kamal Atef Yousuf Abu Taha, 16, killed in Khan Younis
Ibrahim Ramadan, 10, killed in Khan Younis
Ahed Bakr, 10, Gaza beach
Zakaria Bakr, 10, Gaza beach
Mohammed Bakr, 11, Gaza beach
Ismail Bakr, 9, Gaza beach

So 40 give or take, depending on whether or not you want to count 18 year olds(I didn't).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Tender Bender posted:

I don't understand the issues enough to say what Israel's point, but the "US citizens who are pro Israel" faction basically says "Israel has to do this because Hamas hates them and wants to destroy them.". There's no deeper level of thinking than that.

We have Hellbeard in this very thread saying basically the same thing. "Hamas' leader once said he won't recognize Israel as a state, therefore we have to kill civilians as long as Hamas is around."

• Locked thread