Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

CrashCat posted:

help why is my wii u bookmark now a list of pc indie games

i am bad at following funny jokes :smith:

Kewpuh posted:

What games on ps4 or xbone whatever are currently more fun than the stuff on wii u

Fulchrum posted:

Octodad. Towerfall Ascension. Mercenary Kings. Don't Starve. Resogun. Transistor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Furthermore, Well, I could point out you're comparing the peak results of Fame Douglas' established posts versus the new posts of Fulchrum, but I was talking more in terms of a reasonable product. Fulchrum was when posts made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the adult gamer experience to a more fully realized idea of reading posts as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two posters approached posting about consoles. Fame Douglas gives us weak attempts at burns - colourful, simple, cartoony. Posting equivalent of candy. Fulchrum gives us Octodad. Towerfall Ascension. Mercenary Kings. Don't Starve. Resogun. Transistor. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no post before it could have been. Postings ambrosia.

also, :drat:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I guess it's worth mentioning the NPDs came out. Huge boost for Wii U thanks to MK8 which was also the highest-selling single SKU for the month and #2 overall. (Watch_Dogs was the highest selling game overall.) PS4's still beating the One. No other real surprises.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
gonna need exact numbers with charts and graphs so i can figure out how much i should enjoy it this month

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
MK8 is selling at about the same rate Double Dash was in the US, without the help of it being a holiday season. Please feel free to translate that to doom and gloom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yaoi Mandel posted:

gonna need exact numbers with charts and graphs so i can figure out how much i should enjoy it this month

You're allowed to enjoy it more than Watch Dogs but less than playing Watch Dogs on two systems at once.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Yaoi Mandel posted:

mmmm yeah feed them to me FEED THEM TO ME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuyyrEfsvjA

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

New Fatal Frame on Wii U

more like fatal news for nintendo ha ha ha doomed am i right

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

fatal frame is fun

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

lol

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

fatal frame is fun

frolf is frog golf

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I ran the numbers to confirm it. MK8 is selling worse than Double Dash so far.

NPD Numbers posted:

November 2003
1. Mario Kart Double Dash - 527,742
2. Medal of Honor Rising PS2 - 420,313
3. Final Fantasy X-2 - 402,973
4. Grand Theft Auto Double Pack - 391,315
5. SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals - 380,182

December 2003
1. Need For Speed Underground PS2 - 1,120,576 PS2, 308,989 XBOX, 1,429,565 Total
2. Madden NFL 2004 - 784,347 PS2, 182,148 XBOX, 966,495 Total
3. Tony Hawk Underground - 707,522 PS2, 173,119 XBOX, 880,671 Total
4. True Crime: Streets of LA - 607,315 PS2, 206,906 XBOX, 814,221 Total
5. Mario Kart Double Dash - 729,797 GCN

In the US Double Dash sold 1,257,539 copies over 45 days of release, averaging 27945.31 copies per day. MK8 has sold 885,000 copies in 32 days.

So if you average Double Dashes sales for Nov/Dec over 32 days, that averages out to 894,250 copies.

MK8 is the worst selling Mario Kart game in the history of the series.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Astro7x posted:

In the US Double Dash sold 1,257,539 copies over 45 days of release, averaging 27945.31 copies per day. MK8 has sold 885,000 copies in 32 days.

So if you average Double Dashes sales for Nov/Dec over 32 days, that averages out to 894,250 copies.

phew, im glad the numbers are in and thats settled you big stupid nerd

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Me too, now I know I can enjoy the game less than I do Double Dash.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Astro7x posted:

Can we break out the Wii-U death clock again?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Not until Polygon makes at least five other articles about Nintendo doing bad with a link back to the original "MK8 will be the worst selling in the series" article.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Astro7x posted:

MK8 is the worst game in the history.

FTFY poo poo sucks

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

ImpAtom posted:

I guess it's worth mentioning the NPDs came out. Huge boost for Wii U thanks to MK8 which was also the highest-selling single SKU for the month and #2 overall. (Watch_Dogs was the highest selling game overall.) PS4's still beating the One. No other real surprises.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I'm confused, is Mario Kart 8 the worst game or the best game? It sold the most but it also sold the least? Is this a new kind of quantum gaming?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd love to see some Ribbit King representation in Smash.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CrashCat posted:

I'm confused, is Mario Kart 8 the worst game or the best game? It sold the most but it also sold the least? Is this a new kind of quantum gaming?

It's good

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
ah, poo poo, wait, meant to say it's bad. Sorry, it's bad.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

I'd love to see some Ribbit King representation in Smash.

ribbit x 4

ribbit king plus

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

ah, poo poo, wait, meant to say it's bad. Sorry, it's bad.

Battle Mode is pretty bad. But the racing is pretty good.

Also the Mercedes DLC fails on multiple levels because if everyone gets a free Mercedes they're no longer a status symbol and destroys the only reason for owning a Mercedes in the first place.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

CrashCat posted:

A site put up all the NPD numbers by mistake so here are the exact numbers. Mario kart sold 401,000 copies. The next sku would be Watch dogs on the PlayStation 4 at 210,000 copies. But they usually combine all the sku's together when they release numbers and not individual sku's so it was around 618,000 for the ps4,360,ps3 and the bone.

Console wise it was PlayStation 4 at 269k, Xbox one at 197K and the Wii U at 140K.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought Mario Kart 8 sold 1.2 million copies?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought Mario Kart 8 sold 1.2 million copies?

NPD tracks US only.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

abagofcheetos posted:

NPD tracks US only.
This, and also those numbers were for June only whereas the 1.2 million was the number of copies sold (worldwide) during the last (two) days of May, which was the first weekend after its release.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario Kart 8 loving owns.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Meanwhile Xbox may not exist as a Microsoft product, or at all! Wii U wins again.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I feel like there isn't much left that video games haven't already done. The bases have been covered in just about any bizarre genre imaginable.

There is literally a game for every person's tastes. If you're into FPS games or RPGs then you have a goddamn bounty of poo poo to play, a lot of it high quality.

Basically everyone likes a bunch of different stuff and that's not a bad thing. I just think gaming hit its peak and eventually we will hit a ceiling of quality where there's no way to improve the experience. Oculus Rift I guess?

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Excels posted:

I feel like there isn't much left that video games haven't already done. The bases have been covered in just about any bizarre genre imaginable.

There is literally a game for every person's tastes. If you're into FPS games or RPGs then you have a goddamn bounty of poo poo to play, a lot of it high quality.

Basically everyone likes a bunch of different stuff and that's not a bad thing. I just think gaming hit its peak and eventually we will hit a ceiling of quality where there's no way to improve the experience. Oculus Rift I guess?

There are good games that don't exist because no one thought of them yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sex Tragedy posted:

There are good games that don't exist because no one thought of them yet.

every single game, except made by platinum

i say only half-joking

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
There are so many videogames that even if you were playing games 24/7, you could never play every good game in one human lifetime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are tons of concepts which haven't been made either due to lack of power, time, budget or nobody has sat down and made them. We're well away from the point of "there are no more next games out there!"

Tri-Ace (fairly)recently made a gun-fu JRPG based around the concept of being powered by wacky movie physics set in a decaying post-apocalyptic world where an immortal computer controlled fate itself and you traveled across the world by placing hexes on a map to link together glowing lines which altered the dungeons you explored. I'm fairly sure that wasn't the Last Original Idea In The World.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm still waiting for a game based on Plutonic rap battles.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Nobody has yet to perfect survival games either. They always devolve into death match with zombies. Devs have yet to balance the pve aspects to discourage that kind of stuff

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Excels posted:

There are so many videogames that even if you were playing games 24/7, you could never play every good game in one human lifetime.
If your standards for a good game are low I guess

there are a lot of games that I would consider really disposable whether they were fun or not so the actual list of good games I have played is probably much smaller

But yeah you'll never be able to play EVERY game unless you're willing to just try games once and put em down instead of needing to see them to completion

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I've shed my mortal desire for material video games and now spend my days content with reading internet posts bitching about video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

Level Slide posted:

I've shed my mortal desire for material video games and now spend my days content with reading internet posts bitching about video games.
I often get the impression that that's what the majority of self-proclaimed "gamers" do

• Locked thread