Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

If I help you now it sets a bad example to my fans.

Yuriy posted:

paige sucks

She has had one not god awful match since coming to the main roster, and the night after that match she dropped the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Also, WWE actually used an international tragedy as part of an angle. I'm not sure if I think that's hilarious or just awful and kitschy.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I had a chance to go see this show live. I didn't because spending $60 on a seat + parking for this show was going to be a waste of money. The only result that really surprised me was Jericho beating Wyatt clean, but in retrospect I probably shouldn't have been.

I was telling a friend during the pre-show that if this PPV ended up being anything better than "forgettable", I'd be surprised; I think that's about the level it hit.

pressedbunny posted:

Yes, actually. I didn't expect a clean, decisive win and feud-ender going in, but I expected to see them wrestle, at least. There have been many other times when they've put on a token 5-10 minute match and then had guys DQd or counted out or whatever and that's okay. It's not ideal, but it's okay. Straight-up scrapping the match entirely is unacceptable. You never advertise something and then scrap it after people have paid their money. There is not one single area of business, not one single industry, where that is ever an acceptable practice.

Hell, I'm subscribed to the Network, I paid gently caress-all for this and I still feel ripped off. I've defended the Network since day one but this has made me reconsider. In the grand scheme of things, I don't care if the people I like win or not or whether flippy dude #8723 almost kills himself doing some huge spot. But you do not go removing things from a PPV card.

This happens literally every week on Raw and SD, but it's a capital offense when it happens on PPV? I can't understand being this angry about it.

This PPV's biggest flaw is that it existed at all. Jamming these shows in every four weeks is insane. 10 PPVs a year would be plenty, and this show and Night of Champions coming up on Sept 21 are two that are just unnecessary.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Miz vs. Sheamus is the co-main of Summerslam for me. I will never get tired of Sheamus being the victim of angry crowds.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

Yes, them having a slug fest where they did nothing but punch for 5 minutes is the same thing as a match, and we shouldn't be complaining. You are almost as bad as Valeyard.

That hurts, coming from you. No troll. It is fun watching Ambrose and Rollins brawl. I liked it a lot.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

flatluigi posted:

His theme still is "we're a three man band" so they haven't thought enough to even fix that. also I love cesaro :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6fwAtlP-0I

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Professor Funk posted:

Also, WWE actually used an international tragedy as part of an angle. I'm not sure if I think that's hilarious or just awful and kitschy.

They didn't go all in enough, JBL should have said "He's got the Accolade locked in like a missile locked in on a civilian passenger plane!"

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

now now now, just wait and see what they're doing with cesaro. just wait and see.
cesaro lost to zack ryder? now now now, just wait and see what they're doing with cesaro. just wait and see.
cesaro lost to hornswaggle? now now now, just wait and see what they're doing with cesaro. just wait and see.

The battle royal tonight proved that Xavier is somehow ranked lower than Ryder. Hornswoggle is light years ahead of both of them. He just had an actual feud that got tv time, and ppv matches.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

RacistGuidingLight posted:

That hurts, coming from you. No troll. It is fun watching Ambrose and Rollins brawl. I liked it a lot.

I also enjoyed it, but I would have liked an actual match a lot better.

Also blaming Paige for how they've booked her since coming to the main roster like some people are here is insane. She is essentially female Ceasaro. She's great and could be something really special, but instead they're going to have her do nothing and then give up on her when it doesn't get over.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The last thing I'll say about this since I think it's best for all involved if I shut the gently caress up for a bit is that again, I totally get why people would want to not renew their subs. I get why they'd think that was a lovely PPV. I'd get that if we saw poo poo like this show for the next six months and people seemed super disgruntled in massive numbers that would be really a bad sign and reason for WWE to be concerned. I agree that they're majorly squandering some people right now, namely Cesaro and Wyatt. I just think some people are being way overdramatic in the wake of a wet fart of a B-Show PPV.

Oh and I legitimately feel bad for people who had to pay the non-Network price for that, that'd be some poo poo and y'all definitely have total right to be pissed.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

TheJoker138 posted:

Also blaming Paige for how they've booked her since coming to the main roster like some people are here is insane. She is essentially female Ceasaro. She's great and could be something really special, but instead they're going to have her do nothing and then give up on her when it doesn't get over.

She is not as great as you are saying and I have watched NXT, sorry

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

TheJoker138 posted:

Cesaro was actually over at one point though.

Ugh, Cesaro, we hardly knew ye. :negative:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
That PPV sucked, I agree, but the last few have been entertaining. I really do not understand how anyone thinks they have been ripped off cumulatively over the last 6 months. I only turn on the network for the PPVs and maybe one random time a month (plus the NXT quarterly shows) and I still am happy with my purchase.

So far into this thing we are all still in for less than a Wrestlemania purchase, sometimes you have to keep perspective.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

lmao

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I can't believe how negative everyone is being about the Usos and calling it the "wrong finish." I know Luke Harper is the newest and therefore shiniest Indy Darling so you want belts to be thrown at him until there's a big pile of them at his feet, but the Usos retaining was exactly the right ending to that feud. It sets them up as undisputed king of tag teams (less meaningful given how few active tag teams there are, but still) because it was already established that the Wyatts were their only credible challengers. Now when the Ascension gets called up for Summerslam and beats them it's a huge status quo upset.

I'm not sure if PSP just wants the heels to always win or only the ones they personally like to always win heel or face, but considering how often everyone complains about WWE not following "booking 101," the reaction is pretty silly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

Cesaro was actually over at one point though.

Ugh, Cesaro, we hardly knew ye. :negative:

Paige was over in NXT. But instead of having her come in and be the same rear end kicking anti-Diva, they had her do a nonsensical promo, win the title on a fluke, then have a bunch of matches where she got her rear end kicked for 4 minutes then hit her finisher and won.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

I can't believe how negative everyone is being about the Usos and calling it the "wrong finish." I know Luke Harper is the newest and therefore shiniest Indy Darling so you want belts to be thrown at him until there's a big pile of them at his feet, but the Usos retaining was exactly the right ending to that feud. It sets them up as undisputed king of tag teams (less meaningful given how few active tag teams there are, but still) because it was already established that the Wyatts were their only credible challengers. Now when the Ascension gets called up for Summerslam and beats them it's a huge status quo upset.

I'm not sure if PSP just wants the heels to always win or only the ones they personally like to always win heel or face, but considering how often everyone complains about WWE not following "booking 101," the reaction is pretty silly.

The problem there is the Ascension coming up and winning the belts when they are kinda mediocre at the very very best and the only good part about them is YAH which will not matter once they are out of NXT. Wyatts winning the tag titles would have made an actual credible heel tag team which hasn't been around since the Shield had it

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

This PPV is an example of why there should be an occasional fun 'theme' PPV thrown in. There was seriously no reason for this show to exist storyline wise since every status quo that could be quoth was quelled.

Throw out a dumb fun battlebowl-esque show, or some tournament PPV or something! Just something with some fun matches, something cool for the winner, where every match doesn't need EPIC PROMO VIDEO followed by stupid booking to continue each storyline

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Pariah Rex posted:

Hey everybody, that ppv would have been sooooo much better if instead of all those brawls that the crowd was so into and that fight in the parking lot if instead Seth and Dean had had a mediocre 7 minute match ending with Rollins hitting Ambrose with the case and running away. That would have put them both over hardcore.

The PPV would have been better if it wasn't a copy of every RAW in the last two months.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

On another level it would be nice if Bray Wyatt could, you know, win a match cleanly (or win a match at all).

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
That Ambrose/Rollins video package was incredibly great and then it was a bummer that they didn't have a match after it.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

In looking for a bright spot I remembered this:

and just got upset that this wasn't the finish.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I recognize that no one I like gets to win ever, that's the new reality, but can we at least have Dust Bros/Wyatt's and Usos/Rybaxel instead of 10 more weeks of the same two matches 3-4x per week? Would that be so bad?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MotU posted:

The problem there is the Ascension coming up and winning the belts when they are kinda mediocre at the very very best and the only good part about them is YAH which will not matter once they are out of NXT. Wyatts winning the tag titles would have made an actual credible heel tag team which hasn't been around since the Shield had it

Plus they're building up the Rhodes Brothers so you would have had two good face teams to take them on.

Now all the Usos have left to face are Rybaxel (who they have beaten before) and... dropping them to the Ascension.

Wyatts just felt like the right team and the right time, heck I like the Usos and even I thought they should drop them now.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

It is fun watching Ambrose and Rollins brawl. I liked it a lot.

i agree with this

Sanguinia posted:

i dont dislike the usos because they beat the wyatts, i dislike them because their offense sucks and if i wanted to watch two skinny dweebs superkick, i'd watch the better version that can actually work a spotfest

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.

Sanguinia posted:

Yeah the uproar of Usos retaining is the only one I don't understand. Everything else, from DQ endings to Miz to Jericho to NOT EVEN HAVING A MATCH, go crazy with your vitriol. But the right people won the opener, since they need at least some sort of legitimacy in the division. Even if "legitimacy" means only one team can consistently win ever.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Also there should have been a vignette where Seth gets back to his hotel room and Dean ambushes him from his shower.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Funk posted:

On another level it would be nice if Bray Wyatt could, you know, win a match cleanly (or win a match at all).

Jericho winning was funny.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

We've been saying this for a really long time. They cycle in flash-in-the-pan guys. In the past 5 years they've lost a ton of their old stars, most of them permanently. They spent a good bit of time on Punk and he walked on them. They start to build a guy and he gets inevitably injured. Every time we start to see a change or a shift, it all goes to poo poo on them in the long term. I can't really blame them for wanting to cling to Cena even if it's a poor idea.

I had the point of view where it was sort of a different case when it comes to locking in payments for the Network. Though, I legit didn't think erasing the payment info would cancel the subscription.

Anyways, they still had plenty of options left to build around, but they can't really invest in them. I don't wanna go all DIRTSHEETS in this discussion, but the more I hear about the politicking in the WWE, the more I realize why they are in the state they are in. Even though Cena may be the best option to fix their current situation, is it really selling me the renewal of my subscription?

They are in a tight situation at the moment, and yes, the best thing to do as a fan of the WWE is to renew our subscriptions, but I don't think its in my personal interest to put my money here.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
the worst part of tonight other than the paige/aj lee match was chris jericho winning because no one gives a gently caress about chris jericho in 2014

fozzy sucks

his last few runs sucked

prince devitt does the sparkle jacket better

his new fozzy logo tattoo sucks

his books suck

gently caress chris jericho

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

skaboomizzy posted:

This happens literally every week on Raw and SD, but it's a capital offense when it happens on PPV? I can't understand being this angry about it.

Raw and Smackdown are, essentially, free. They are the shows that are meant to build your interest so you want to buy the PPV.
The PPV is not free. Either you spend a large lump sum on it, or you sign away money in smaller chunks on a recurring contract.

If I ordered a meal at a cheap restaurant and it tasted bad, I wouldn't like it but I'd move on. If that meal was actually objectively different to what the menu stated, I'd be annoyed.
If I ordered a meal at an expensive, up-market restaurant and it simply tasted bad, I'd be very disappointed and not go back there. If that meal was actually not as described by the menu, I'd raise merry hell, demand to talk to the manager and refuse to pay.

There is a gigantic difference between what's okay to do on TV and what's okay on a PPV and I can't believe anybody would have a hard time understanding this distinction.

Again, to this day I have defended the Network since its launch and I've gladly sat through other events where X wrestler went over Y when I thought Y should go over X or whatever, and not had a problem with it. This, though, is bullshit. Actual, straight-up bullshit.

MotU posted:

She is not as great as you are saying and I have watched NXT, sorry
I don't know what your standards are like, but she was phenominal in NXT and FCW.

That said, though I am the most shameless Paige fan, I absolutely will concede that the match tonight blew and both Paige and AJ need to clean up a lot if they're going to put on anything of worth at SummerSlam.

pressedbunny fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 21, 2014

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Prozach posted:

Yeah the uproar of Usos retaining is the only one I don't understand. Everything else, from DQ endings to Miz to Jericho to NOT EVEN HAVING A MATCH, go crazy with your vitriol. But the right people won the opener, since they need at least some sort of legitimacy in the division. Even if "legitimacy" means only one team can consistently win ever.

I don't think 2 Samoans who can't talk for poo poo and do the same spots every single match should keep winning! At least the Wyatts seem to have something new every other match whether it be that tag finisher from the other week or Rowan's double superplex. Even though it has been the same match like 4 or 5 times now, the Wyatts always seem to feel fresh to me somehow, the Usos do not

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

chris jericho owns but he shouldn't be winning matches clean against potential main eventers in 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh one last thing that's not about business or me being King Positivity I promise:

All they had to do to make that IC Title finish perfect was have it be Bo, not Miz. WHY DID THEY DO THAT THING :mad:

Professor Funk posted:

chris jericho owns but he shouldn't be winning matches clean against potential main eventers in 2014

Also agree. See I hate things too.

Pariah Rex
May 31, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

The match would have sucked. If Dean losses it kills all his momentum. If Seth losses it essentially ends the feud. And a DQ would have done nothing for either of them and been just another poo poo finish on this bad show.

Keeping the heat up and having a real match at SummerSlam will be much better than a pointless match on a F- show.

Would it really have been that much better if they both came out a bell rang and then it devolved into the giant brawl with a no contest ending? Is that what would have helped? A Bell?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Plus the Wyatts are big scary dudes and the Usos look like pipsqueaks next to them, Daniel Bryan is enough, no more pipsqueak champions

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pariah Rex posted:

The match would have sucked. If Dean losses it kills all his momentum. If Seth losses it essentially ends the feud. And a DQ would have done nothing for either of them and been just another poo poo finish on this bad show.

Keeping the heat up and having a real match at SummerSlam will be much better than a pointless match on a F- show.

Would it really have been that much better if they both came out a bell rang and then it devolved into the giant brawl with a no contest ending? Is that what would have helped? A Bell?

Then they shouldn't have loving advertised it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh one last thing that's not about business or me being King Positivity I promise:

All they had to do to make that IC Title finish perfect was have it be Bo, not Miz. WHY DID THEY DO THAT THING :mad:
Because the storyline they were building for this Battle Royal (other than Cesaro) was that Miz was going to win it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Yuriy posted:

i thought the ppv was okay, not great but apart from the paige/aj lee match nothing was offensively bad

ambrose/rollins made the entire thing worth it

the sky isn't falling

also the funniest part of the event was a bunch of people in the GDT getting Highly Offended by layla jiggling

that or Ambrose popping outta the trunk

agreeing with you is scary but this is 100% right

Yuriy agreeing with Foochs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Miz is a more established guy and is not over. He's one of the few guys on the roster that actually benefits from holding the IC title. The IC title would do very little -- if anything -- for Bo, who's already over as gently caress with his gimmick because it rules so hard.

Also they're clearly planning on having Sheamus united the titles at SS. It's better to feed Miz to him than Bo.

• Locked thread