Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Finally have a nice GIF to show of my Fishing Show Blooper game!

Inspired completely by Bill Dance Fishing Bloopers

Not sure if I'll make it in time for the deadline though, I don't have a lot of free time for development and I'm a 1-person team. It'll get done eventually though since I'm having so much fun working on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

NextTime000 posted:

TeamTime log
Day 1: played FFXIV then spent the night at my parents
Day 2: saw a neurologist and picked up my cpap machine; both related to my recently diagnosed severe sleep apnea. went back to my apartment and played more FFXIV
Day 3: started actual work on what I am calling "Project Asset Cleanup" a game where you destroy all the lovely leftover props from other public access shows. self-imposed restriction: I am only going to use free assets on the Unity Asset Store; but obviously I will have to code some things myself.

Day procrastination/getting used to new medication/cpap machine:

well at the very least my gun shoots now; and it can delete things with it's projectiles. Now I just need more things to shoot, an environment to shoot them in, and a "start" and "you win" screens to wrap it all together and I will have something I can technically submit.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sorry to hear about your mom, Shalinor :ohdear:

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Wooo! Had a buddy of mine do some initial playtesting on my game and he ended up playing it for over an hour, only quitting because he has work in the morning.

So if you are a fan of deckbuilding games like Dominion or Thunderstone, apparently playing my game is pretty satisfying.

Now I just need to actually theme it up more...

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Shalinor posted:

... and this year, my mom died in organization month too. SA GameDev, why do you hate moms and aunts? :colbert:

I think we're legit to where we could do a theme of "memorial to someone who died during an SA GameDev competition". You are not the first we've seen that happen to. Condolences, dude. :(
What the hell? Both last year and this year during the competition I also lost friends. This didn't happen until I started participating in this. I BLAME RICHARD.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

bagina posted:

What the hell? Both last year and this year during the competition I also lost friends. This didn't happen until I started participating in this. I BLAME RICHARD.

I'm starting to question whether or not I should do SAGDC next year.

Let's see.... Exposure and experience for my work in the realm of video games, or the lives of my loved ones....

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Price is life. BITCH. :v:

Also sorry to hear that Shalinor. :(

edit: Finished version will be colored and have that wheel animating (maybe)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As contrast, last year, my niece was born (July 16th), and this year I'm expecting my first, so :toot:

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Ok new issue cropping up in unity web player for me, first a friend had it and now I appear to as well. I uploaded a new build by just replacing the .unity3d file in my hosting. Which up until now has worked fine. Today I do that and when I check the page it still loads and plays the old version. I refresh without cache, cleared site cookies, I'm not even using any local storage or player prefs right now.

Anyone else encounter this before? I plan to make download builds for submission but I'd hate to lose the ability to test so quickly.

edit: herp derp, using latest chrome, and using incognito mode works fine for now

Chance fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 22, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
gently caress UI in Unity. God drat. The default poo poo sucks and the free NGUI is marginally better.

What are other goons using Unity doing for UI?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

gently caress UI in Unity. God drat. The default poo poo sucks and the free NGUI is marginally better.

Sometimes I just use sprites with custom scripts. You can use OnMouseDown for quite a lot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Protocol7 posted:

NGUI. Takes some getting used to, but it's pretty rad once you get there. The free version might be pretty old, though.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

As contrast, last year, my niece was born (July 16th), and this year I'm expecting my first, so :toot:
Theory: We're creating a vortex of creativity that acts as a life vacuum, taking it from some and giving it to others. Some years that means death, other years that just means a whole lot of nerds lost most of their lives for a month which, in sum, is enough life to fuel a new baby.

In retrospect, this makes SO much more sense than that stork business.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

dupersaurus posted:

NGUI. Takes some getting used to, but it's pretty rad once you get there. The free version might be pretty old, though.

I've been using the free version and it seems to be outdated enough that it's far from WYSIWYG.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes I just use sprites with custom scripts. You can use OnMouseDown for quite a lot.

That's how I started it, but when you want to set up grid-like interfaces with relative positioning, it's fairly difficult and unwieldy. Unless I'm an idiot, but I work with XAML and WPF every day as far as UI goes, so...

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 22, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

That's how I started it, but when you want to set up grid-like interfaces with relative positioning, it's fairly difficult and unwieldy.

Not entirely. If you want grids you can program them in. It can be useful, for example, to create a static class just for managing your grid of buttons. You don't need to instantiate everything (or much of anything, for that matter) in Unity itself. One thing I do a poo poo load of is creating a single prefab with the basics then instantiating crap later. It also makes it much easier to organize and manage. You can even do positioning with all one script for a whole rack of buttons if you tell each button where it is in the array and then have each button individually adjust itself accordingly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not entirely. If you want grids you can program them in. It can be useful, for example, to create a static class just for managing your grid of buttons. You don't need to instantiate everything (or much of anything, for that matter) in Unity itself. One thing I do a poo poo load of is creating a single prefab with the basics then instantiating crap later. It also makes it much easier to organize and manage. You can even do positioning with all one script for a whole rack of buttons if you tell each button where it is in the array and then have each button individually adjust itself accordingly.

Not sure how lucrative that'll be at this point in time.

Here's what I'm trying to recreate:

What I'm really looking for is something that will allow me to scale sprites while maintaining their aspect ratio. Free NGUI didn't do this very well. When I built this out on my test scene, it looked fine until I resized it a little, then elements would start to overlap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
That could be solved in a few different ways. One would be to have them check their size and location against nearby elements to make sure they aren't overlapping and resize themselves accordingly. Another possibility would be to create a background grid of "slots" and make the elements check to see if a "slot" is taken up and if it is resizing itself.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

I got http://www.daikonforge.com/dfgui/ when it was on sale a couple of weeks back and it's very very nice.

The default skin looks awful but I hope to find time to replace that in the next 10 days!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

If it makes you feel better Unity 4.6 is already in beta with the new UI and people seem pretty positive on it. Please don't use the built-in UI (before 4.6 that is) the free NGUI is at least a step up from that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ended up buying NGUI since I had PayPal bucks I was sitting on. It's already a marked improvement over the free version - I'm at least not getting frustrated trying to make the top green bar aligned with the top of the screen.

edit: Okay yeah this is manageable. It fixes every complaint I had with NGUI free.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 22, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

We also purchased NGUI after running into the same issues. After hearing the guy from NGUI was hired by Unity only to skip out and continue working on NGUI, it sounds like the smartest long-term investment for a UI solution.

In other news our game is on the last lap. Levels 1-3 are all playable and beatable, with story segments neatly between. Level 4 (which is just awesome) is designed and the boss animated, just putting the moves together. Last steps will be adding in all the audio and sound effects, better presentation of the story screens, and spending the rest on polishing what we have (adding in additional models, making sure the lighting looks acceptable, etc). We're looking forward to wrapping up the first real builds as it will be our first time getting a project this far along and should be fun to look at what we've created and revise, revise, revise. Biggest concerns are testing on low-end machines and making sure the player understands how to play, as our presentation is still a bit chaotic.

Edit: Update. Day 22 I discover Animation Events and how easy it is to call scripts off of animations. Pretty sad I found out on Day 22, but it means this last boss will be about 10x easier than I had anticipated.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 23, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Got the combat system in the works and largely done. Random encounter work properly. Woo! Now it's time to put the finishing touches on the mechanics and spend a week making content. Let's see how much JRPG I can make in that amount of time. The monster is a casserole so bad it came to life from a cooking show so bad it erased its host from existence.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Anyone familiar with Unity have any idea why saving to PlayerPrefs would work in editor mode but not when I load it over the web in a browser?

NEVERMIND I'M DUMB. Guess what you can't do in the unity webplayer, and should remove from your serialization code that you wrote during development?

Debug.Log("Current Directory = " + Directory.GetCurrentDirectory());

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 23, 2014

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
As of today you have 10 days.

I'm happy with what I have. I'm at the point where I just have to make content and thankfully it looks like I planned a doable amount of content. My game is going to look like poo poo, however, thanks to my team members, the voice acting is FANTASTIC. Unfortunately for me, I'm out of town all weekend.

Push through guys!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NextTime000 posted:

Day procrastination/getting used to new medication/cpap machine:

well at the very least my gun shoots now; and it can delete things with it's projectiles. Now I just need more things to shoot, an environment to shoot them in, and a "start" and "you win" screens to wrap it all together and I will have something I can technically submit.

Today I set up a "level" somewhat.

I'd still have to apply the health component to the objects, among other things.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Theory: We're creating a vortex of creativity that acts as a life vacuum, taking it from some and giving it to others. Some years that means death, other years that just means a whole lot of nerds lost most of their lives for a month which, in sum, is enough life to fuel a new baby.

In retrospect, this makes SO much more sense than that stork business.

All I'm reading here is that the next Game Dev needs to use life/baby engines as a theme.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
So um... I haven't done much

Started working on a few ideas for this but never really had much motivation or started overthinking some of them, same thing happened last year (although I ended up scrapping everything and making a game in the last 4 days that turned out pretty good)

Not giving up though, even if it's something incredibly dumb and terrible, I WILL make a game for this, probably over the weekend and into next week. (I think I work better when I have less time to make a game, forces me to focus more)

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

UnrealEngine4 has been doing its best to sabotage my project. I've had two occasions now where I run into some crippling bug that fucks up my entire project. The first time I had to compile the engine version from github, and I just spent 2 days wrestling with another bug that had the whole thing uncompilable.

But I fixed it, and Sink is coming along nicely. Gameplay is probably 90% done, just down to adding special bits for various objects getting smashed or sunk. The support for it is already in there, I just need to do all the particle effects and other bits. Real commentator audio is getting recorded on Friday, then I just need to finish hooking up the various game events into something coherent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgllJe1UTmg

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Unity question I'm not finding many answers to: I'm trying to make a simple meter that depletes when the user holds down a button from full to empty, but I can't get the basic GUI functions to actually display anything.

The script (based on the API Doc:

code:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class GUIScript : MonoBehaviour 
{
    public float barDisplay = 1;
    public Texture2D barFull;
    public Vector2 position = new Vector2(Screen.width - 150, 15);
    public Vector2 size = new Vector2(100, 25);

void OnGui()
    {
        GUI.DrawTexture(new Rect(Screen.width - 150f, 15f, size.x * barDisplay, size.y), barFull);
    }

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () 
    {

}
}
The inspector:

I have the script on an object, the script has a texture assigned, and the Camera has the GUI checkbox checked, yet still nothing shows up.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ClownSyndrome posted:

Started working on a few ideas for this but never really had much motivation or started overthinking some of them, same thing happened last year (although I ended up scrapping everything and making a game in the last 4 days that turned out pretty good)
To be fair, this is one of the more... vague themes I've seen for SAGDC.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That was awesome. I liked the janky commentary that sounded a bit like old Madden stuff. After I finish my current Unity project I can't wait to start playing around with UE4 warts and all.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
sneaky peek!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

NextTime000 posted:

Today I set up a "level" somewhat.

I'd still have to apply the health component to the objects, among other things.
:siren: We have a game-loop! :siren:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6z18clyw0wi5sok/PublicAssets_v0_1.zip

there is a start menu, you click a button, it loads the level (you may need to refresh the page if it does not work the first time), you play the level, and then it goes back to the main menu.

todo: sound, "you win/level complete" screen, a "how to play" screen or similar primer for the player, a second level.

if for some reason I can't work on this anymore consider it my entry.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Has anyone submitted a web game before (as in html/javascript, not unity web player or whatever)? I've given up on my Unity game, because there's no time left and my partner has dropped. Since I can put together a web game quicker than anything else, I'm now going that route with a new idea, but I'm worried that judges who like to download all the games and drop them in a folder to play one by one, will end up skipping my game.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

They love web stuff because it's so easy to just play without installing. No worries.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

SlightlyMadman posted:

Has anyone submitted a web game before (as in html/javascript, not unity web player or whatever)? I've given up on my Unity game, because there's no time left and my partner has dropped. Since I can put together a web game quicker than anything else, I'm now going that route with a new idea, but I'm worried that judges who like to download all the games and drop them in a folder to play one by one, will end up skipping my game.

Based on previous competitions, it's usually the other way around. People (judges included) seem to prefer web version so you don't have to wait for a file to download. There's been tons of web games which did well and I always make sure to upload a web build.

Edit: Also that^^^^^^^^^^^

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

Mo_Steel posted:

Unity question I'm not finding many answers to: I'm trying to make a simple meter that depletes when the user holds down a button from full to empty, but I can't get the basic GUI functions to actually display anything.

The script (based on the API Doc:

code:
using UnityEngine;
using System.Collections;

public class GUIScript : MonoBehaviour 
{
    public float barDisplay = 1;
    public Texture2D barFull;
    public Vector2 position = new Vector2(Screen.width - 150, 15);
    public Vector2 size = new Vector2(100, 25);

void OnGui()
    {
        GUI.DrawTexture(new Rect(Screen.width - 150f, 15f, size.x * barDisplay, size.y), barFull);
    }

// Update is called once per frame
	void Update () 
    {

}
}
The inspector:

I have the script on an object, the script has a texture assigned, and the Camera has the GUI checkbox checked, yet still nothing shows up.

I looked this over and over and kept telling myself "that's weird, all looks correct to me", and went as far as pasting it in on a script on my machine. I saw that it in fact did not work, sat there confused for a moment, then finally noticed this part:

code:
void OnGui()
It has to be OnGUI(), same capitalization and all, or Unity doesn't call it (it uses reflection to find functions by their exact names and parameter sets for stuff like Update, OnGUI, Awake, etc).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9MV2qFc0hg

I wish I had more gameplay to showcase, but this is about the furthest I have ever gone with a Unity project, let alone a game project. I'm proud that everything is stringed together the way it is.

ApproachingInfinity posted:

It has to be OnGUI(), same capitalization and all, or Unity doesn't call it (it uses reflection to find functions by their exact names and parameter sets for stuff like Update, OnGUI, Awake, etc).

Is it bad that I'm so used to using reflection at work that I didn't even skip a beat when I had to use it in Unity? This question is only kind of rhetorical.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 24, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ApproachingInfinity posted:

I looked this over and over and kept telling myself "that's weird, all looks correct to me", and went as far as pasting it in on a script on my machine. I saw that it in fact did not work, sat there confused for a moment, then finally noticed this part:

code:
void OnGui()

:doh:

Well it wouldn't be game development if I didn't make some trivial mistake that hosed things up for a while. Thank you!

e: Progress!

I need to figure out a good way to handle physics because I'm making the whole track slide left and it doesn't seem to impact much "jump" when cresting hills. At high speed the turtle starts clipping through ground colliders as well. :3:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Before the 15th I was thinking, "Oh boy, I'm making progress, I'm figuring out how GML works, things are going well enough I might be able to finish a half competent game!" Immediately as the 16th rolls up it changes to "Oh boy, I've got literally no time and I'll never finish."

I'm going out of town tonight for four days, but I'm bringing my laptop to do music/art if I can find the time. I'll definitely be submitting a game, I just hope I figure out how to make it fun by then.

In the spirit of sharing, here's my title screen. The "Press Enter" is a placeholder, I assure you.

• Locked thread