Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my old coworkers used to go once a week during that whole thing

it truly is amazing what people will reveal to you if you're carefully apolitical or imply that you agree with their viewpoints

hell i caught some surprise for mentioning some jewish holiday in my old catholic as hell office

one of the higher-ups i was chatting with carefully tiptoed around asking me if i had jews in my family

it was a p great reaction because i was all "no. (beat) but i'm dating one!"

a friend didn't talk to me for weeks because i had the nerve to tell his girlfriend that she shouldn't say things like "this guy tried to jew me"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

idgi

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Second link here with the accurate addresses, but note that it's basically the same route I linked above-

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/673...872!2d34.048935

compare to what the uber app is showing... and charged

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

see the app is completely and totally accurate and our not-a-taxis don't need a certified meter.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, is Uber scamming people as well? I didn't see THAT coming

...NOT!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Citizen Tayne posted:

a hosed up drunk with no self control

you rang ?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Syncopated posted:

Wow, is Uber scamming people as well? I didn't see THAT coming

...NOT!

a scam where you give the taxi company less money, idgi

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or perhaps maybe america has this huge loving complex about alcohol that when taken to its logical conclusion causes patently ridiculous poo poo like this to go down

then again i did have a similar experience with a dude buying cigarettes over here in the uk so, eh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Prohibition was some serious poo poo, I guess.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr Dog posted:

or perhaps maybe america has this huge loving complex about alcohol that when taken to its logical conclusion causes patently ridiculous poo poo like this to go down

then again i did have a similar experience with a dude buying cigarettes over here in the uk so, eh

the uk isn't exactly a shining beacon of non retarded alcohol laws either

don't all "pubs" have to stop serving by like 11 PM unless you're a specially licensed "nightclub?"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

please don't use this word as a pejorative, thanks :)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Mr Dog posted:

america does indeed have a huge alcohol complex, if only there was some way that they could

amend it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

see the app is completely and totally accurate and our not-a-taxis don't need a certified meter.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

api call girl posted:

Second link here with the accurate addresses, but note that it's basically the same route I linked above-

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/673...872!2d34.048935

compare to what the uber app is showing... and charged

can you link a non-google map? google maps is dead-tabbing chrome.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i was, am, and will always be the safe rides fee

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

the uk isn't exactly a shining beacon of non retarded alcohol laws either

don't all "pubs" have to stop serving by like 11 PM unless you're a specially licensed "nightclub?"

:shrug:

Depends on the pub. Most residential areas don't like it when pubs are open past 11 (because what's the point of being drunk when you can't yell about it as loudly as possible in the street in the middle of the night) and most pubs are in residential areas.

the more annoying aspect is that off-(premises consumption )license(d shop)s are required to stop selling alcohol at 10pm but yeah all it really means is that you have to plan ahead. and come to think of it maybe that's only in Scotland now.

the uk has an alcohol abuse problem just like the us has but the draconian-ness is in different places. like god help you if you get caught driving drunk in the uk because they absolutely do not gently caress around when it comes to punishing drunk drivers but you can drink at 18 and they're fairly lax about underage drinking in a lot of places (i.e. affluent places) as long as underage drinkers don't go around making a nuisance of themselves. at least that was the case back in 2003 or so.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

Ah, a reasonable opinion from Knifecrime Island and the Alcohol Poisoning Archipelago.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
I went to WI last weekend and apparently their liquor stores close at 9 PM jfc

I actually kinda miss IA because any place regardless of a liquor store, gas station (gas stations and convenience stores can sell liquor through some loophole where its a 'detached' part of the store) or 24 hour supermarket can sell until 2 AM every fuckin night.

in chicago, most supermarkets stop after midnight (even 24 hr) and most non-lovely liquor stores close earlier, so you have to go to a lovely one late at night. small price to pay i guess for the privilege of drinking until 5 am at select bars on weekends.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Dog posted:

you can drink at 18 and they're fairly lax about underage drinking in a lot of places (i.e. affluent places) as long as underage drinkers don't go around making a nuisance of themselves. at least that was the case back in 2003 or so.

here we let underage drinkers trash property and get mad at the owner if they complain

Apr 7, 2003

Tatsujin posted:

I went to WI last weekend and apparently their liquor stores close at 9 PM jfc

I actually kinda miss IA because any place regardless of a liquor store, gas station (gas stations and convenience stores can sell liquor through some loophole where its a 'detached' part of the store) or 24 hour supermarket can sell until 2 AM every fuckin night.

in chicago, most supermarkets stop after midnight (even 24 hr) and most non-lovely liquor stores close earlier, so you have to go to a lovely one late at night. small price to pay i guess for the privilege of drinking until 5 am at select bars on weekends.

Haha, yeah, needing to buy booze at 1 AM or drink until 5 AM definitely isn't the problem. it's stores closing at reasonable hours that needs to be fixed!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

the uk has an alcohol abuse problem just like the us has but the draconian-ness is in different places.

the alcohol abuse problem in the u.k. is much, much, greater by every measurement than in the u.s.

higher per-capita consumption, higher crime, higher disease rates

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN

Citizen Tayne posted:

Haha, yeah, needing to buy booze at 1 AM or drink until 5 AM definitely isn't the problem. it's stores closing at reasonable hours that needs to be fixed!

eh it just sucks for people that don't work 9-5, which is shittingly common in the US.

j/k im a wino and its unfair i can't destroy myself at all hours.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the alcohol abuse problem in the u.k. is much, much, greater by every measurement than in the u.s.

higher per-capita consumption, higher crime, higher disease rates

bet we've got a bunch of puritans running up the score

usa #1!!!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

alcohol laws where i am are perfect. anyone wanting looser laws is a pathetic drunk and anyone wanting more restrictive laws is a puritan busybody.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Bloody posted:

can you link a non-google map? google maps is dead-tabbing chrome.

bing up ur rear end

for reference, google maps traffic (more reliable than bing) claims 26min w/o traffic and like 1.5hr with, currently

Apr 7, 2003

The Leck posted:

alcohol laws where i am are perfect. anyone wanting looser laws is a pathetic drunk and anyone wanting more restrictive laws is a puritan busybody.

This but unironically.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

mishaq posted:

pubs, supermarkets and clubs can serve alcohol for 24 hours if they have a 24 hour drinking license, it has been this way since 2005

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

api call girl posted:

bing up ur rear end

for reference, google maps traffic (more reliable than bing) claims 26min w/o traffic and like 1.5hr with, currently

lmao

so it wasnt 9 dollars for 0.9 miles of travel? good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Bloody posted:

i was, am, and will always be the safe rides fee

i always thought people were joking about that but it turns out its real :wth:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Leck posted:

eh, i mean in oregon they have wine in gas stations which is something i wish they had in texas

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
every gas station and convenience store in new york sells wine-flavored malt liquor that comes in a wine bottle, because it's illegal to sell wine

i can't find a photo of the awful stuff

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

computer parts posted:

eh, i mean in oregon they have wine in gas stations which is something i wish they had in texas

they do have wine in gas stations in texas - three of the best places in town to buy fancy beer and wine are also gas stations. :confused:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Metrication posted:

pubs, supermarkets and clubs can serve alcohol for 24 hours if they have a 24 hour drinking license, it has been this way since 2005

This is correct. Unless you live in the middle of bum-loving-nowhere or some god awful suburb there will be somewhere within a reasonable distance selling alcohol no matter what the time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Leck posted:

they do have wine in gas stations in texas - three of the best places in town to buy fancy beer and wine are also gas stations. :confused:

maybe it's a city ordinance thing because i only ever saw beer

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
e: aaaa gently caress no what am i doing abort abort

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

vodkat posted:

This is correct. Unless you live in the middle of bum-loving-nowhere or some god awful suburb there will be somewhere within a reasonable distance selling alcohol no matter what the time.

i have fond memories of walking down the mile end road at 1am looking for an off license that sold vodka so we could make white russians. eventually we found one after walking for an hour and then got the bus back, i realised later after looking at the distance that it should have taken 15 minutes.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

we should have alcohol vending machines. you scan your license and swipe your card and you get booze

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

in case you weren't sure how they would work i figured i should explain it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mr Dog posted:

e: aaaa gently caress no what am i doing abort abort

:newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Squinty Applebottom posted:

we should have alcohol vending machines. you scan your license and swipe your card and you get booze

I think some ABC states have those

• Locked thread