Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

canyoneer posted:

Ikaruga is great. It's a vertical scrolling spaceship shooter with a neat mechanic. Each enemy shoots either blue or red bullets, and you can switch the polarity of your ship's shields to absorb one or the other. Also, your bullets do double damage to enemies of the opposite polarity. It's really fun.

Here's some who is way better at it than me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LES0bAg0dBk

I see you and I raise you a dude playing Ikaruga on hard co-op. By himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZEGyrEnXrk

Ikaruga is weird, because for all its difficulty it's kind of a puzzle game; enemy patterns are always the same and are arranged in a way you can always get combos (3 enemies of the same polarity in a row, you can see the dude doing that in the video).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Honestly it's only the story mode in F-Zero that's really hard. The grand prix mode is fun and tough but fair, at least until the highest cups. Admittedly though, some of that fairness comes from the fact that the game designates a rival for you at the start of each cup who will always win if you don't (or come in 2nd if you do win) , and if you can KO them in one race they'll never be able to catch you in the standings since the other places are fairly random.

gently caress story mode though, I still don't know how you beat mission 7 (the subject of that famous goon rant on the game). It's a shame too because they do a few cool things with the objectives and course design in a lot of the levels, but they're just so merciless.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jul 23, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Mother.

loving.

Gradius.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Mother.

loving.

Gradius.

Just don't die, or you're back to moving like treacle and using the pea shooter again. You died even with all those options firing lasers with you, let's see you cope with nothing.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

That loving Sned posted:

Just don't die, or you're back to moving like treacle and using the pea shooter again. You died even with all those options firing lasers with you, let's see you cope with nothing.

The walls are closing in and everyone's shooting missiles at me how can I not die

how can anyone not die

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

That loving Sned posted:

if you die on a boss, it should just say game over regardless of how many extra lives you've got

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Since I recently built a MAME cabinet and have been enjoying the nostalgia of vintage arcade games, I will go ahead an represent here with:

basically every game Williams Electronics produced during the early 80s.

Defender / Stargate
I can remember what a quarter eater this thing was back in the day. It was common to see a game last less than a minute for a new player. Watching someone who is good at it is transcendent, tho. Being good at it doubly so. I was 11 or so when Defender came out and it was the game all the older kids (16-17) stayed crowded around at the arcade. It almost didn't get released because it's so difficult. I think the difficulty is what made it as popular as it was. If you could play a decent game of this - it felt like an accomplishment.

Robotron
The first game to introduce using one stick to move and another stick to fire. Most people can last through the first 2-3 waves but then it gets crazy difficult and doesn't really stop. Everything is moving and almost all of it is out to wreck your poo poo. Eventually it levels off, but at that point it's pretty much "make one small mistake and you're screwed." Dying tends to throw off your zen/rhythm too, so you either last forever, or you lose 10 extra lives in a row, either until your game ends or your rhythm comes back.

Joust
For such a simple play mechanic/set of controls - this game is deceptively deep and really fun, particularly with a friend. But unless you get really precise with your timing, it gets hard very quickly, as the enemies get much faster and the really-hard-to-kill pterodactyl shows up more often.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dashticle posted:

The final boss on Donkey Kong 64 I think I still never cleared it. For a while every two years or so I would hook up the N64 again and give it a go and then give up after a couple of hours.

Basically you had to beat the boss with each character (of which there were four) three times. Each round gave you less and less margin for error and involved you needing to stand in exactly the right spot before attacking/hover in place and hit 4 tiny targets in a couple of seconds/perform a dodge-the-pushers minigame/whatever argh it's making me angry just thinking about it. If you hosed it up you had to do the whole thing from the very beginning. Can't remember another game section that made me that pissed off.

It was especially jarring because all the other bosses were pussies apart from that jack in the box one and at least he died through the tried and trusted 'knock me down then hit me x3' method.

I could never get the Nintendo Coin via beating the old-school Donkey Kong arcade game, so I never even got to that part.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

I could never get the Nintendo Coin via beating the old-school Donkey Kong arcade game, so I never even got to that part.

:siren: BEAVER BOTHER :siren:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Zesty Mordant posted:

F-Zero GX

I had to look up a Youtube to see it being won on Very Hard because I earnestly thought it was impossible. This guy is obviously very good and he kills it, but just to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCB7Rv0bPI

Help me out on this video. You say it's a wall-less track, but it looks like he's bouncing of the side and getting a boost for it. Is there some glitch or mechanic he's exploiting? I can't figure it out.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Captain Lavender posted:

Help me out on this video. You say it's a wall-less track, but it looks like he's bouncing of the side and getting a boost for it. Is there some glitch or mechanic he's exploiting? I can't figure it out.

Yeah he's definitely using some kind of technique to get small bursts of speed. I played this game for years and don't know what it is--probably something like slide-boosting in mario kart. He comes very very close, one pixel close to falling off the track many times there.

I was reminded in another thread of Timesplitters 2, a fantastic game that had some very hard story levels as well. The Easy and Normal difficulties were fair enough, but Hard sent it into a new dimension. Level one is a stealth mission, and the number of enemies/cameras increases drastically to the point that not moving at the EXACT right time and killing all the bad guys in EXACTLY the right order at the right time results in a fail. Not to mention the helicopter you have to fight with a stationary gun at the end when a single bullet can kill you. I managed to make it to level four. I did get to level seven by playing co-op by myself and essentially getting two lives-- 7 is a wild west scenario that begins with a guy shooting you within the first second and depleting most of your life, so it was pretty much necessary. after that it's basically High Noon but you're outnumbered 50 to one. I never managed to not get shot at the start. Still couldn't beat it.

doug fuckey has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jul 24, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, it's called.. um. Shift-boosting, I think? You go off the track for one frame then back on to get a speed boost. Just watch this. Watch this and have an existential crisis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

They explain the technique at 2:10 or so but... just watch the whole run.

E: v-- :hfive:

NmareBfly has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Jul 24, 2014

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. ^^ Literally the same post and same video!

Zesty Mordant posted:

Yeah he's definitely using some kind of technique to get small bursts of speed. I played this game for years and don't know what it is--probably something like slide-boosting in mario kart. He comes very very close, one pixel close to falling off the track many times there.

You get a boost in F-Zero GX if you drive off the track and then back on in a few frames, and it can get you to absolutely stupid speeds if done correctly. If you're really interested there's a speedrun done at a marathon that explains most of the tricks you can do to go really fast.

Woodhouse
Aug 1, 2010

Tell me, Aldo, if I were sitting where you're sitting, would you show me mercy?
Super Ghouls and Ghosts for me as a kid. Sweet loving christ.

I dont have the balls to go back and try to beat it now, I'll just have PTSD.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HaB posted:

basically every game Williams Electronics produced during the early 80s.
Defender / Stargate
Robotron
Joust

The guy who coded these, Eugene Jarvis, topped himself with NARC in 1989. A crazy, over-the-top game with great digitized graphics, it required a steady diet of quarters to keep playing, and the final boss was pretty much unbeatable.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

NmareBfly posted:

Yeah, it's called.. um. Shift-boosting, I think? You go off the track for one frame then back on to get a speed boost. Just watch this. Watch this and have an existential crisis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvrepvisxA0

They explain the technique at 2:10 or so but... just watch the whole run.

E: v-- :hfive:

Golly.

I can't even fathom how you discover crazy things like that. It's just like the Zelda: OoT speed runs - where you sequence break, to get bugs, so you can drop them in a special spot, so that you can clip through a door, and then move just right to trick the game into thinking you're at Gannon, all within a few minutes of starting the game.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Donkey Kong Country 3 wasn't "that" hard (completed it eventually), but some levels took days till i made it through them.

gently caress this level, especially:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26YyTPFcvMU

Here's a person playing it.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The entire bullet hell genre is known for being very difficult. A lot of it is just theatrics, but clearing some games is really quite brutal. To get a full clear of Ketsui, for example, you have to make it through all stages while scoring 120 million points and not getting hit or bombing, then survive a ridiculously challenging second loop and fight a true last boss whose attacks will hurt your head with the speed and weird directions they move in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNVzN6DagTA

Most Psikyo games also have sadistic second loops. Dragon Blaze is hard to clear due to its weird mechanics, but the second loop of Gunbird 2 has random suicide bullets moving at ludicrous speeds. Not fun.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Friday the 13th for NES. That game drove me nuts. Mike Tyson's Punch Out also got really difficult towards the end of the game.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Gynovore posted:

The guy who coded these, Eugene Jarvis, topped himself with NARC in 1989. A crazy, over-the-top game with great digitized graphics, it required a steady diet of quarters to keep playing, and the final boss was pretty much unbeatable.

I think that's the one ridiculous game I actually beat.

I got stuck on Snake, Rattle n Roll, also by Rare. Precise 3-D jumping, timed levels, not a lot of lives. I tried using a Game Genie to beat it, only to find out that using the infinite lives code made the final boss unbeatable.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Abugadu posted:

I got stuck on Snake, Rattle n Roll, also by Rare. Precise 3-D jumping, timed levels, not a lot of lives. I tried using a Game Genie to beat it, only to find out that using the infinite lives code made the final boss unbeatable.

:respek: Yeah, I had to learn this nasty lesson the hard way too. Haunting Starring Poulterguy for the Genesis did the exact same thing.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The thing about Super Ghouls & Ghosts is when you finished the game to get the proper ending you had to replay the game again, get the Bracelet which only drops on NG+ and use that to kill the final boss. This meant once you picked up the Bracelet you couldn't die or pick up another weapon. It was loving ridiculous.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Abugadu posted:

A friend and I poured afternoons into this, being a rare co-op game. It wasn't necessarily cruel in its difficulty, but it did get quite challenging. One or two times one of us made it deep into the higher levels but we never did beat it. Fun game though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If you haven't watched that GX speed run yet, do it. It's amazing and the dude kills every special challenge they give him (on Very Hard, no less).

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

C-Euro posted:

If you haven't watched that GX speed run yet, do it. It's amazing and the dude kills every special challenge they give him (on Very Hard, no less).

He makes it look so easy, too, like he attempted it so many times he knew when to zig and when to zag down to the microsecond. It's amazing to watch and jaw-dropping if you know how brutal that stage is.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

redweird posted:

The thing about Super Ghouls & Ghosts is when you finished the game to get the proper ending you had to replay the game again, get the Bracelet which only drops on NG+ and use that to kill the final boss. This meant once you picked up the Bracelet you couldn't die or pick up another weapon. It was loving ridiculous.

You could die and continue but the bracelet's power scaled with your armor. If you were in your skivvies its range was short and it didn't do much. The bracelet actually made the first few levels easier. The problem was that the boss of world 7 was painfully difficult to beat with the bracelet, especially if you were in your underwear, and those red demons could dodge 95% of the shots you threw at them with it. It took some really precise jumping, timing, and throwing. You also lost the really cool poo poo you could do with the fancy gold armor.

I actually managed to pull off beating the game that way once when I had a week vacation and nothing better to do. It took MY ENTIRE VACATION to accomplish that but boy did it feel like an accomplishment. Haven't touched the game since; I've had enough punishment and highly doubt I could do it again. It became very obvious in the later stages that the developers went out of their way to make the game insanely difficult.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Is it sickeningly overhyped by boring autists, particularly in Let's Play communities? Yes. Is the difficulty largely cheap, gimmicky, and fake? Yes. Can I stop loving playing it? No. Years later, and I can't stop loving playing I Wanna Be The Guy. I got really good at it for a while, but then I got to Mother Brain and that dried up again.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Is it sickeningly overhyped by boring autists, particularly in Let's Play communities? Yes. Is the difficulty largely cheap, gimmicky, and fake? Yes. Can I stop loving playing it? No. Years later, and I can't stop loving playing I Wanna Be The Guy. I got really good at it for a while, but then I got to Mother Brain and that dried up again.

It's really hard to get people to actually play IWBTG, but I unironically enjoy playing it. Some of the gently caress Yous are hilarious, and most are easy to overcome if you know they're there. It's a bad game, but it's a fun as hell bad game.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
How can a fun game be bad, isn't that like the sole metric of determining if a game is good or not

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

The story isn't multi-faceted and complex. The characters aren't deep representations of what it means to be human. The battle system doesn't take a 10 minute tutorial to really "get".

Duh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zesty Mordant posted:

How can a fun game be bad, isn't that like the sole metric of determining if a game is good or not

Have you ever watched a movie so bad it was good? That's how.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Few games have ever pissed me off as much as The Black Cauldron by LucasArts. Jumping across the rocks in the stream is one of the biggest tests of patience ever put into a game.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Zelda 2 was loving hard. I played it recently and can't believe the patience I must have had as a kid.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME
What I've found fascinating as I've gone back and played old NES games is just how hard some of its most popular and critically acclaimed games are. Super Mario Bros. 3, for instance, was never really touted as a super hard game, but I honestly never beat it until I became an adult, and only then with the help of a little exploit in a room absolutely full of coins in World 7 where you can get 7 or 8 lives before you die via timeout. The platforming in World 7 and 8 of that game is incredibly difficult, especially World 8. There are portions of that where I'd routinely burn through 20 or 30 lives on just one level. It really is brutal.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I had rented and enjoyed Road Rash 2, so I begged for Road Rash 3 for my birthday one year. Wish granted, I spent a lot of hours trying to beat it. I tried every strategy from perfect races and still having the crappy starting bike in level 3. I'd beat the Brazil course 30 times to get the expensive bike. Then I gave up.

This is a fair approximation of how Road Rash 3 goes. The faster bikes are sensitive as they can be and spin out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLo-cf-L1yk

(Except you quickly learn to drive on the correct side of the road at all costs.)

The game does crap like this to you. This guy makes a single mistake on the Kenya course in level 1 - and it's not even a bad mistake as he's immediately back on the bike - but doesn't get another chance to challenge the leaders to qualify.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqL1M8Y7b6o

I dug up the game a couple of years ago, determined to beat it. I wrote down the passwords after every single race I qualified. I figured out which bike was the best combination of speed and weight.

So after about a month of passwords and work, I qualify on all five races at level 5. Then, I find out that you cannot beat the game because there is no mechanism to allow you to do so. No acknowledgement of your achievement, no game over, no congratulations, no changes on the screen, nothing. You just get to play level 5 infinitely.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Your Sledgehammer posted:

What I've found fascinating as I've gone back and played old NES games is just how hard some of its most popular and critically acclaimed games are. Super Mario Bros. 3, for instance, was never really touted as a super hard game, but I honestly never beat it until I became an adult, and only then with the help of a little exploit in a room absolutely full of coins in World 7 where you can get 7 or 8 lives before you die via timeout. The platforming in World 7 and 8 of that game is incredibly difficult, especially World 8. There are portions of that where I'd routinely burn through 20 or 30 lives on just one level. It really is brutal.

I dunno, a year ago I ended up playing a bunch of the mario games as an adult, and didn't have nearly as much trouble with them as I did as a child. But part of that is I played with maps in front of me. Also, going from Lost Levels to 3 makes 3 seem a bit easier. I admit, a lot of the airships have crazy frustrating jumping puzzles, and most all of world 8 just isn't loving around anymore, but it's not that hard to get to Bowser's castle if you keep your head about you. Besides, even without the infinite coins exploit, the game just throws 1-ups at you everywhere.

Unrelated, but a game I loved as a kid that was stupid hard was Eternal Champions--both versions actually. Looking back, the game is absoludicrously retarded and is so a product of the early 90's in its style, but it's a game I played far too long. I loved the little "danger room" style minigames you could play especially. But what sets the game as so hard was that the AI very clearly cheats to win. You have a meter for your special moves that refills over time, only the AI's meter never goes down. Also, once you manage to make your way to the eponymous Eternal Champion, you have to fight five versions of him, each of which has cheap super-damaging moves, and if you lose, it's instant game over with no continues allowed, meaning you have to work all that way all over again. Then, in the Sega CD semi-sequel (think of it as 1.5) they added a second boss after him! Then again, they also added other odd characters like a politician (who throws red tape at you and tries to censor your video game violence,) animals that were to scale to the human fighters, and the actual literal Grim Reaper.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gitaroo Man was a too rare to live, too weird to die cult hit for the Playstation 2. You play as a typical anime milquetoast guy who gets an alien guitar (a gitaroo) that turns him into an anime superhero, and fight through about 10 or so levels against various musical-themed baddies with each level representing a different musical genre.

You're broken up into two basic types of gameplay. The first type is playing the guitar. You rotate the analog stick to move a fan-shaped cursor in the center of the screen to match a winding line, and hit a button for various lengths of time to play each note. It's very tricky at first and requires a learning curve. The second type is when you have to dodge the musical attacks of your enemy, pressing each of the face buttons in time as they pass through the center of the screen. This is easier at first but is still tricky.

The default difficulty is plenty hard, but far from impossible with some practice and learning the music. However once you beat default difficulty you unlock Master difficulty. In Master Difficulty there are way more notes to play and dodge, and missing them causes extreme health loss. Some stages barely see a difference-- the romance ballad levels for example--while the earlier levels all see a huge surge in difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrshPebBVUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbtmxW3Reo

Then you get to the goddamn Sanbone Trio.

I personally could never get past these fuckers, specifically because of the dodging around 2:40, which is a pity because from here on out the gitaroo sections actually get easier as they closely resemble the ones on default difficulty but with higher health penalties for missed notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjLBy4Hp-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZ55gwZpdo

It might not seem that bad compared to Beatmania or that DDR clone for the fingers, but I'd still like to see anyone just pick up and beat these levels on a first try.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Anyone else ever play BC's Quest for Tires on Commodore 64? I got pretty drat good at it but couldn't ever figure out the jump over the giant lake.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Gitaroo Man was a too rare to live, too weird to die cult hit for the Playstation 2. You play as a typical anime milquetoast guy who gets an alien guitar (a gitaroo) that turns him into an anime superhero, and fight through about 10 or so levels against various musical-themed baddies with each level representing a different musical genre.

You're broken up into two basic types of gameplay. The first type is playing the guitar. You rotate the analog stick to move a fan-shaped cursor in the center of the screen to match a winding line, and hit a button for various lengths of time to play each note. It's very tricky at first and requires a learning curve. The second type is when you have to dodge the musical attacks of your enemy, pressing each of the face buttons in time as they pass through the center of the screen. This is easier at first but is still tricky.

The default difficulty is plenty hard, but far from impossible with some practice and learning the music. However once you beat default difficulty you unlock Master difficulty. In Master Difficulty there are way more notes to play and dodge, and missing them causes extreme health loss. Some stages barely see a difference-- the romance ballad levels for example--while the earlier levels all see a huge surge in difficulty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrshPebBVUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjbtmxW3Reo

Then you get to the goddamn Sanbone Trio.

I personally could never get past these fuckers, specifically because of the dodging around 2:40, which is a pity because from here on out the gitaroo sections actually get easier as they closely resemble the ones on default difficulty but with higher health penalties for missed notes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YbRclMWFcE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JjLBy4Hp-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIZ55gwZpdo

It might not seem that bad compared to Beatmania or that DDR clone for the fingers, but I'd still like to see anyone just pick up and beat these levels on a first try.

This is my favorite game, unironically. I had trouble with Mojo King Bee on Master, but blew away the Sambone and didn't understand why it was so hard. Guess I'm some sort of bizarro Gitaroo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I just want to say I think it's delightful that the ball-busting, game-ruining boss of this thing is a skeletal Blue Man Group with Playstation controllers for hips.

• Locked thread