Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Pet Rock Band posted:

There's probably a 0-1% chance of TNA ever making the old weekly PPVs available for purchase in any format, right? There's not even any chance of WWE buying them and adding their archive to the network? I've had an urge to watch them lately. I never actually saw them on TV ever since I lived in Nashville and went to every stupid weekly PPV except one or two. I thought it would be cool to see myself in the front row as a kid.

Also, there's never really been any... big history of TNA in Nashville sort of article or book or anywhere, right? I've been weirdly interested in trying to pull together something like that possibly when I move back to Nashville. There was so much weird, hilarious, gross poo poo going on on camera and off pretty much at all times. I really wish I had kept a journal / had a smartphone back then to still have all the pictures.

They used to have them all up on their Video on Demand service, but it's taken down now. It happened before, so never say never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Samuel Shaw, Seiya Sanada, and Brooke Tessmacher all signed new contracts.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
ROBBIE E in an interview said there may not be a Bound for Glory Series this year.

What are we going to aggravated at now?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

TNA still being in business?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Remember when Miss Tessmacher's character was Eric Bischoff's prostitute

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oatgan posted:

and she was demoted to being a wrestler

demoted

TNA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

It had been 8 years so it was OK for TNA to repeat themselves.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

and she was demoted to being a wrestler

demoted

TNA

only because she was also Kevin Nash's prostitute and during pillow talk blabbed about Bischoff's plan to take over the company. Nash used the information to form a heel stable to take down the company without actually telling anybody why.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
This company's run has gone on for longer than WCW's run and is almost a third longer than ECW's total run and my brain cannot comprehend this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghidzilla posted:

This company's run has gone on for longer than WCW's run and is almost a third longer than ECW's total run and my brain cannot comprehend this.

Not yet, they'll reach WCW in 3 months.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since I'm a star ratings whore, I went back and counted how many ****+ matches WCW produced compared with TNA.

WCW (1988-2001): 101

*****: 6 matches
****3/4: 4 matches
****1/2: 15 matches
****1/4: 30 matches
****: 46 matches

TNA (2002-present): 89

*****: 1 match
****3/4: 3 matches
****1/2: 10 matches
****1/4: 27 matches
****: 48 matches

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Now count the negative star matches.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
What was the one 5* match in TNA history?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Pet Rock Band posted:

What was the one 5* match in TNA history?

aj vs. joe vs. daniels some ppv in 2005

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea ok posted:

It's on TNA's youtube channel in full last I checked. It's p. good but iunno if I'd go five stars.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The star ratings are based on the whole package, buildup, audience reaction, the story told in the match itself, etc. Not just how good the match itself is.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it's also just meltzer's gut feeling at the time and not really a science

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Endorph posted:

It's on TNA's youtube channel in full last I checked. It's p. good but iunno if I'd go five stars.

I haven't watched it in forever but at the time I thought it was something really special.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

yea ok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9-azR3pLkI

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don't care for TNA and know very little in terms of the context for the match and the competitors but that was a hot match and by Ebert metrics (the match in and of itself, not compared to others) I'd call that a fair 5* competitor. The monkeyflip to hurricanrana is a tad too convoluted as I like my spots, but they're all going 100% and it's a joy to watch.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 25, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's a very well-paced, 100-mile-an-hour match with zero botches and a cool finish. Everyone is really high energy and hit everything perfectly. Basically exhibits why triple threats can be the best gimmick match, because you never need to do a rest hold and you can constantly change the direction of the match. The crowd is also really into it in a way I haven't seen in a TNA broadcast for a long time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

"The unmemorable force meets the indiscriminate object."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Testekill posted:

"The unmemorable force meets the indiscriminate object."

Wow, the Grand Ballroom looks anything but there. It's not well lit at all. It's not the best place to do TV, but they didn't do it any favors.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah I saw some clips of it and the way the arena looks makes the product look super minor league

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I saw some clips of it and the way the arena looks makes the product look super minor league

And yet it still makes them look better than the Impact Zone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Testekill posted:

The Impact Zone never felt as small to me as the Grand Ballroom feels. Granted I've been in the Grand Ballroom and never been in the Impact Zone, but they shot the Impact Zone to feel like it was a small arena. Even at its best the Grand Ballroom looks kind of out of place for wrestling.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Testekill posted:

I think it actually looks worse on TV than the Impact Zone. at least the Impact Zone is lit decently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When ROH was running there it was a huge step up because their typical venues looked pretty terrible and this was a legitimate nice looking room. TNA doesn't run the nicest places, but the Grand Ballroom just looks... off.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cardboard Box posted:

I think it actually looks worse on TV than the Impact Zone. at least the Impact Zone is lit decently.

I think it's the balcony making it seem so tiny. With the Impact Zone, it was what - bleachers? So it still sort of looked like an arena and they lit the crowd differently. Here, you can visually SEE the end of the room due to the balcony so it just feels more boxy and closed-off right away.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRafTer posted:

The Impact Zone never felt as small to me as the Grand Ballroom feels. Granted I've been in the Grand Ballroom and never been in the Impact Zone, but they shot the Impact Zone to feel like it was a small arena. Even at its best the Grand Ballroom looks kind of out of place for wrestling.

The Impact Zone made them look super-minor league when you were there, though. It had bleachers on two sides of the ring and a concrete wall on the hard camera side. It was just this really low-end TV studio turned into a wrestling venue. I went there with my mother and father and sister and wife a few years ago, and everyone was just kind of like, "That was pretty low-rent."

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 25, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair, just about everything makes TNA look super minor league.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Robbie E: Company Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5ocosjj20c

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The Impact Zone made them look super-minor league when you were there, though. It had bleachers on two sides of the ring and a concrete wall on the hard camera side. It was just this really low-end TV studio turned into a wrestling venue. I went there with my mother and father and sister and wife a few years ago, and everyone was just kind of like, "That was pretty low-rent."

I was in the studio audience for a game show on PAX that they filmed there and it was a dump.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Eh, I always thought it looked fine. Maybe it was because I watched so much WCW Worldwide and that was filmed in the same kind of venue.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah I agree. By the end they clearly figured out how to shoot the Impact Zone so it didn't look like a total empty shithole, which is pretty admirable. The biggest thing wrong with that venue was the fans, who were generally lovely if they bothered to show up at all.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRafTer posted:

Eh, I always thought it looked fine. Maybe it was because I watched so much WCW Worldwide and that was filmed in the same kind of venue.

No, don't get me wrong, it looked OK on TV. It's just when you were there live the venue itself was ghetto as gently caress.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Is anything from Impact last night worth checking out?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bhester posted:

It's Impact so probably not.

Since a few people have asked, the TNA History video is being edited right now and should be done later tonight! It better be because if I don't finish it before this weekend it's getting delayed some more.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bhester posted:

You might want to check out the end to see the debut of ECW alumni Beared Gene Snitsky and ECW Champion Ezekiel Jackson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Rhonne posted:

You might want to check out the end to see the debut of ECW alumni Beared Gene Snitsky and ECW Champion Ezekiel Jackson!

But you won't hear them say "...from WWE!" unfortunately. :saddowns:

• Locked thread