Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
My project is going along nicely. I just have a couple questions for those with some experience:

HELP! HOW TO MAKE GAME? PLEASE NEED ANSWER NEXT 7 DAYS. HOW TO MAKE VIDEO GAME?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mo_Steel posted:

:doh:

Well it wouldn't be game development if I didn't make some trivial mistake that hosed things up for a while. Thank you!

That's actually just development in general, actually. You have no idea how many times I've been working on a thing, be it a game, a school project, or just a learning experience, and spent several hours tracking down a bug that happened just because I made some really stupid typo somewhere. You're going to feel like an idiot but that's OK. All code is terrible. It doesn't need to be good, it just needs to work.

When we were working with stuff that one of my professors wrote for a software engineering class the professor, a really brilliant guy with a doctorate, had ridiculous hacks all over the place, things he admitted didn't work right, and little comments like //This works but shouldn't. I do not know why. I'm leaving it as is and not touching it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It doesn't need to be good, it just needs to work.
These are the words I live by. Half of these words are the words I live by.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Dr. Stab posted:

HELP! HOW TO MAKE GAME? PLEASE NEED ANSWER NEXT 7 DAYS. HOW TO MAKE VIDEO GAME?

SO GLAD YOU ASKED!

It's that time of month, folks- The Wall of Shame hungers for another year's bones and flesh. With every meal it grows more powerful and ominous. Don't feed it! Finish and submit something- anything- with your remaining time. But how?

CHIP-8 is an ancient, severely limited virtual console which has been preserved through emulation due to its extreme simplicity. I've written a web-based IDE for CHIP-8 as well as several informative guides discussing how to make games with it. Brave goons in the CHIP-8 thread have built fun and interesting adaptations and originals in a few afternoons apiece. The ceiling for what you can make is low, so a lack of art skills or limited programming experience pose only minor obstacles, and Octo makes it easy to share your creations with others (and this year's judges)!

Let's have a look at a few examples of what can be made- click on one to give it a spin:

(by me)
(by Lime)
(by Jusion)

So ends my shameless plug. I guess if CHIP-8 isn't your thing you could try making a text adventure with Twine?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's actually just development in general, actually. You have no idea how many times I've been working on a thing, be it a game, a school project, or just a learning experience, and spent several hours tracking down a bug that happened just because I made some really stupid typo somewhere. You're going to feel like an idiot but that's OK. All code is terrible. It doesn't need to be good, it just needs to work.

When we were working with stuff that one of my professors wrote for a software engineering class the professor, a really brilliant guy with a doctorate, had ridiculous hacks all over the place, things he admitted didn't work right, and little comments like //This works but shouldn't. I do not know why. I'm leaving it as is and not touching it.

Game Jams are all about hacking something together as fast as possible. The code doesn't have to look pretty but your game should. After game jams is the time to start refactoring.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

Game Jams are all about hacking something together as fast as possible. The code doesn't have to look pretty but your game should. After game jams is the time to start refactoring.

How much time do people typically spend on things after the game jams, anyway? In a way I kind of want to go revisit Chunky's Bar and make it not horrifyingly awful.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

ToxicSlurpee posted:

How much time do people typically spend on things after the game jams, anyway? In a way I kind of want to go revisit Chunky's Bar and make it not horrifyingly awful.

For me, it's a coin flip. My next mobile game I'm making with SharpenedSpoon actually came from the RPG Maker Contest (1 month jam). Our local indie group did an arcade cabinet jam for our new box and I absolutely hated my entry and trashed it after the jam and wrote something else for the box.

Vlambeer's Nuclear Throne started as a game jam entry and so did Broforce. There's a lot of released games that started as a game jam entry. Game jams are a perfect opportunity to try a new game mechanic.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

poemdexter posted:

For me, it's a coin flip. My next mobile game I'm making with SharpenedSpoon actually came from the RPG Maker Contest (1 month jam). Our local indie group did an arcade cabinet jam for our new box and I absolutely hated my entry and trashed it after the jam and wrote something else for the box.

Vlambeer's Nuclear Throne started as a game jam entry and so did Broforce. There's a lot of released games that started as a game jam entry. Game jams are a perfect opportunity to try a new game mechanic.
Hell, even Jones On Fire began from a jam, and I made that in 48 hours (well below that in actuality since I slept et al). The core game was done after that, I spent the rest of the 8 months of dev pretty much just on polish.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Update on the dead wiki: we did lose all the previous years' worth of wikis... but we still have all the entry downloads. Thank god. We'll have to figure out how to sort those out and get them relinked somewhere people can see them, but at the very least, all those games should still be there and playable.

What we'll probably do is something like, all you previous entrants? When you create your new pages this year, create sections that reference your previous entries, etc.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

NextTime000 posted:

todo: sound, "you win/level complete" screen, a "how to play" screen or similar primer for the player, a second level.

I did it :unsmith: EDIT: oh wait I didn't do the win screen thing oh well

and I made a wiki page for it too: http://www.labtanner.com/sagamedevchallenge/index.php?title=Public_Assets

I'll be packing up and moving from my apartment back to my parent's house, so that will take up the weekend for me. After that if I can get any more work done on this is all dependent on how fast I can get my computer set up there.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Hmmm maybe I can improve the physics by allowing the turtle angular movement...

:stonk: SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Mo_Steel posted:

SHIP IT

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make sure that gets posted to the glitch thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611075

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

After an evening of swearing, pleading and tears, it turns out that the tutorial I followed to brush up on GML doesn't allow for ANY changes to the player's x position beyond basic left/right movement (like, say, a knock-back effect when hit) without breaking everything else. So tomorrow I'll be carefully snipping out the offending code, which is easy enough to do but has cost me a shitload of time overall.

Oh well, live and learn!

xzzy posted:

Make sure that gets posted to the glitch thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611075

Thanks for that, I love game glitches almost more than I do the actual games themselves.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Mo_Steel posted:

This is beautiful.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bonus gif with a wider rigidbody base:

A physics based platformer where the camera rotates with the character could be fun and also vomit-inducing. vvvvvv but in 4 directions and a rotating camera.

e:

Ultigonio posted:

You know, now that I think of it, I made a game that used slopes and vague "slope physics" quite some time ago in Game Maker. I believe I achieved it by setting the vertical speed to the horizontal speed when going up slopes.

It... wasn't without its problems, though.

I was actually just about to do the same thing by setting up an onUpSlope and onDownSlope triggers. We'll see how it goes.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 25, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
You know, now that I think of it, I made a game that used slopes and vague "slope physics" quite some time ago in Game Maker. I believe I achieved it by setting the vertical speed to the horizontal speed when going up slopes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ultigonio posted:

I'm having some very severe Kid Chameleon flashbacks right now. The levels with the hoverboard were some of the most fun and/or insane. My god that was a good game...why hasn't something comparable come out since?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ultigonio posted:

It actually works pretty well here:

Need to adjust the trigger so it's not hitting in the air but I got a lot done today.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Hey writers! I'm looking for environmental storytellers. Are you looking to avoid the wall of shame? My "main plot" locations are finished but I'm looking to bulk up. Basically something like this

Objects - A sign. When the hero clicks it it tells him "A hole for butts". Sets a flag.

Objects: A man. If the hero hasn't set the flag he will say "You should investigate the cave to the north" If the hero has set the flag, he will say "I own the cave to the north so you have looked at my butt hole".

If you think you can match the quality of this writing let me know. Private message or lockemurph at the g of mails.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ulta posted:

Hey writers! I'm looking for environmental storytellers. Are you looking to avoid the wall of shame? My "main plot" locations are finished but I'm looking to bulk up. Basically something like this

Objects - A sign. When the hero clicks it it tells him "A hole for butts". Sets a flag.

Objects: A man. If the hero hasn't set the flag he will say "You should investigate the cave to the north" If the hero has set the flag, he will say "I own the cave to the north so you have looked at my butt hole".

If you think you can match the quality of this writing let me know. Private message or lockemurph at the g of mails.

This is a fun game. You should help this guy out.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.
So I spent all of last night trying to figure out why my bitmap text wasn't changing color.

This morning, I found this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I'm pretty sure all games can be improved with the addition of a drunk, smoking Cthulhu.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Day 24: 99% + epsilon done.

Game is playable and more or less complete. Ultigonio's music is in (though we've had one weird trick, programmers hate him bug where the audio plays really fast sometimes). Added people to the title screen.

If I can find the time between work and school, I'll pull avatars at random from SA to paint and fix a bug* where 'hurry up' music isn't playing.

*Possibly not a bug but lazy programming and resilience to rewriting.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Jo posted:

Day 24: 99% + epsilon done.

Game is playable and more or less complete. Ultigonio's music is in (though we've had one weird trick, programmers hate him bug where the audio plays really fast sometimes). Added people to the title screen.

If I can find the time between work and school, I'll pull avatars at random from SA to paint and fix a bug* where 'hurry up' music isn't playing.

*Possibly not a bug but lazy programming and resilience to rewriting.
Did you end up doing an awesome/bad voice synth for the text?

(this looks awesome :haw:)

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

Shalinor posted:

Did you end up doing an awesome/bad voice synth for the text?

(this looks awesome :haw:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scVJL19akH0

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

:cry:

EDIT: We're getting close enough to the end that everyone need to go make their accounts at the wiki. Don't save that until the last second. Make your accounts, make a team page, start figuring out what's going to go on there.

We'll do an "entry grid" again with little banners, too, I just need to remember what the size of the banner images was. Anyone remember, off the top of their head?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 25, 2014

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Shalinor posted:

:cry:

EDIT: We're getting close enough to the end that everyone need to go make their accounts at the wiki. Don't save that until the last second. Make your accounts, make a team page, start figuring out what's going to go on there.

We'll do an "entry grid" again with little banners, too, I just need to remember what the size of the banner images was. Anyone remember, off the top of their head?

I get this error when trying to create an account

Heisenberg1276 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 26, 2014

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I get this error when trying to create an account

Whoever is running this site should really turn off these error messages, it's a great way to assist in getting hacked.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 26, 2014

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
OK so I'm having some issues with fonts. I am new to Unity and NGUI so I may not be following a proper workflow or something.

The small cards above are game objects scaled to 1,1. The large card is the same game object scaled to 1.5, 1.5. I'm not sure if the small cards are just too small to have the font display at a readable size or if I'm doing something wrong that is making them aliased and crappy. I feel like the scaled up card looks OK and is pretty readable, but the small ones are rough.

I have the font itself being imported at size 36. The title font size is set to 36, the smaller body font size is set to 27, and they are both scaled down to 0.5, 0.5. if I instead import them at a smaller size and leave them at scale 1,1 they are just blurry instead and look bad at both sizes.

Anyone familiar with NGUI/Unity have any ideas?

The cards scale up when you hover over them so worst case scenario you just won't be able to easily read the small versions I guess.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Just checkin' in for the first time this month to say that I made what I consider to be the best spaceship model

I am a 3D wizard

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Afinostux posted:

Just checkin' in for the first time this month to say that I made what I consider to be the best spaceship model

I am a 3D wizard

It's beautiful. Any man or woman would be proud to Captain the USS Hormel.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Afinostux posted:

I am a 3D wizard
Do we get to fight against deviled ham? Because seriously. gently caress deviled ham. :colbert:

(so much deviled ham on poor road trips with mom 'n grandma... fun road trips, but the deviled ham, ewww)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Afinostux posted:

I am a 3D wizard

David Letterman would be proud.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I guess I get to adjudicate some prizes next week. Anyone have tips on doing that? Have developers self-nominate if they think they're eligible? I don't want to make the hard working workhards do more work, if I can avoid it. Nor, mind, am I likely to be playing every game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

So I guess I get to adjudicate some prizes next week. Anyone have tips on doing that? Have developers self-nominate if they think they're eligible? I don't want to make the hard working workhards do more work, if I can avoid it. Nor, mind, am I likely to be playing every game.
I would advise posting in here with "here are the prizes I'm offering, please tell me if you think your game qualifies." But wait until after we're into the judging phase - right now, everyone's in permanent pants-on-fire state.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

sighnoceros posted:

OK so I'm having some issues with fonts. I am new to Unity and NGUI so I may not be following a proper workflow or something.

The small cards above are game objects scaled to 1,1. The large card is the same game object scaled to 1.5, 1.5. I'm not sure if the small cards are just too small to have the font display at a readable size or if I'm doing something wrong that is making them aliased and crappy. I feel like the scaled up card looks OK and is pretty readable, but the small ones are rough.

I have the font itself being imported at size 36. The title font size is set to 36, the smaller body font size is set to 27, and they are both scaled down to 0.5, 0.5. if I instead import them at a smaller size and leave them at scale 1,1 they are just blurry instead and look bad at both sizes.

Anyone familiar with NGUI/Unity have any ideas?

The cards scale up when you hover over them so worst case scenario you just won't be able to easily read the small versions I guess.

I'm far from an expert but I remember reading something about NGUI not playing well with Transform scales, unless you're scaling a panel. Could be a symptom of that?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Obsurveyor posted:

Whoever is running this site should really turn off these error messages, it's a great way to assist in getting hacked.

Fuckin' goddamn wikis I tell you what.

You mind editing your post there while I fix whatever that was?

e. Should be fixed now, it was a pretty simple fix. Anyone still having problems please PM me, worst case scenario is you live somewhere with a huge spambot/hacker population and I manually make you an account.

double e. Banner images were 320x240px. I remember it making for a really nice orderly page, so there's that.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 26, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shalinor posted:

I would advise posting in here with "here are the prizes I'm offering, please tell me if you think your game qualifies." But wait until after we're into the judging phase - right now, everyone's in permanent pants-on-fire state.

Sounds good. I'll wait quietly on the sidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I made a unity package out of the things I put together, and I put a link for it on my project's page.

I probably didn't pull in all the things I needed to in order to make it work right but I think I got enough in it.

• Locked thread