Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Unity's 2D Animation tools are pretty fantastic comparing to what I'm used to, which is hand-coding looping frames in XNA.

:3: Go turtle go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I am more pumped for Excite Turtle than I am for anything else.

Here is the result of today's work:

The cards don't look hand-written anymore but they are much more readable.

Everything but the message box and cards is still placeholder. Slowly but surely...

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Well I am out, to many doctors appointments and to little time to code. I am sad I did not get anything finished.

Good luck to all those still in it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Decided to spruce it up a bit for the banner. :v:

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Shalinor posted:

We'll do an "entry grid" again with little banners, too, I just need to remember what the size of the banner images was. Anyone remember, off the top of their head?

No, but I used a forbidden power to divine that the banner size was 320x200.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

xyigx posted:

Well I am out, to many doctors appointments and to little time to code. I am sad I did not get anything finished.

Good luck to all those still in it.

I'm going to face facts and pull out of this as well. Not due to a lack of time, but I just have to realise that at the moment the actual nitty gritty of making games just does not interest me. Oh well!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Day 26. Added all important 'shouting at civilians standing peacefully behind barricades' functionality.

I've made a plan for what I need to do on the remaining days to land this thing. It's made me feel better as I seem to still have enough time to focus on the remaining large elements of the game that are left, giving myself the very last day to do testing / balancing stuff. It ain't gonna be a masterwork but it'll have a mission complete screen and a 'you're dead' screen with legit ways of making them appear. That counts as a game in my book.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

sighnoceros posted:

OK so I'm having some issues with fonts. I am new to Unity and NGUI so I may not be following a proper workflow or something.

The small cards above are game objects scaled to 1,1. The large card is the same game object scaled to 1.5, 1.5. I'm not sure if the small cards are just too small to have the font display at a readable size or if I'm doing something wrong that is making them aliased and crappy. I feel like the scaled up card looks OK and is pretty readable, but the small ones are rough.

I have the font itself being imported at size 36. The title font size is set to 36, the smaller body font size is set to 27, and they are both scaled down to 0.5, 0.5. if I instead import them at a smaller size and leave them at scale 1,1 they are just blurry instead and look bad at both sizes.

Anyone familiar with NGUI/Unity have any ideas?

The cards scale up when you hover over them so worst case scenario you just won't be able to easily read the small versions I guess.

Dynamic or bitmap font?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Dynamic.

Studio is starting to come together as I replace placeholder art:

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 26, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, I have absolutely everything mechanically needed to get a game out. Pretty happy with this game dev month. Not because I produced something good but 25 days ago I knew painfully little about programming JRPGs. But now I have a (somewhat simple) JRPG that can actually be played that I can point to and say "I made that!" So yeah, a few days of adding new rooms and content, maybe slapping together some new monsters, and it's smooth sailing until Release O'Clock. Then it's time to get painfully drunk and get back to my other projects.

It's all about this guy. The Game Knight.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 26, 2014

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
My game is pretty big (~150MB compressed). I'll probably just upload it to MegaUpload, but I'm not sure what their bandwidth policy is. Does anyone have better options?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I updated the picture I used on my project's page to be 320x200 for whenever someone was going to make the grid

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I'm going to play the games that are up on the Wiki right now, and post my thoughts/bugs/etc.

Public Assets by TeamTime: Was fairly fun while it lasted. I played the web version, which doesn't grab my cursor while it's on the window. As a result looking around causes the cursor to leave the screen, and if you click while it's off the window you can't look around, move, or shoot until you click back on it. Download version may be different, I'll try it later. Love the music, the interior section has a very Tron-esque vibe and the music sounds like it was cribbed straight from Daft Punk (although I don't think it was). There is at least one clipping error, I was checking to see if any of the doors opened and I walked right through one and fell out of the world. FYI. I appreciated some of the subtle references to various shows.

Rage of Painting by Jo and Ultigonio. Not sure what I was supposed to do, couldn't figure out how to paint. B.O.B r055 painted his picture, and then it ended. Judge 3 gave me a 7/10 for doing nothing, which was admittedly pretty funny. Could use some instructions on how to make the game do its thing.

Hmm. Saw the entries on the wiki and thought there would be more than two games up. Ah well.

Put more stuff up and I'll play it!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The game grid is live. Go put your game in it whenever you've got a sec. Except for you, NextTime000, you're awesome and I already added yours as the example.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit: actually I'm going hold off everything's final

shs fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 26, 2014

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

My game is pretty big (~150MB compressed). I'll probably just upload it to MegaUpload, but I'm not sure what their bandwidth policy is. Does anyone have better options?

itch.io

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Day 26: Fixed control problems. Character now flies into the air like Poochie when he dies. No idea why. Considering adding a slide whistle effect and calling it a day.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

RoboCicero posted:

Well

is a good option, but I also have a SFTP account I can PM to people tonight. I have unlimited disk space to offer for this :V

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Awesome! I'll stick with itch.io for now, since I'll eventually want to link to it from my personal website. Thanks for the offer though :v:

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Getting close! Starting to get some real graphics in there, and the game now recognizes when certain recipes are cooked, and in particular ways; for example, battering/breading and then frying a Pixie in the troll fat fryer (cauldron to the left of where you start) is the Fried Pixie Sticks recipe, which will get you bonus viewer interest when completed. The skewers don't behave so well yet so those are left out for now. Still missing a few important mechanics, like something actually happening when you lose, or being able to win at all... But, five days left! :shepicide:

Link to current web build: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13355028/ArmGrabTest2/ArmGrabTest.html

The controls are a little bit complicated, but I'm hoping we somehow manage to have enough time to get a tutorial in there. Also, sadly Unity web builds are not able to lock the cursor, which occasionally leads to some annoying bugs. The standalone builds we make at the end shouldn't have that problem.

Some screens:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter

Web Build playable here

The game is pretty much as finished as it is going to get. I am hoping that I will have time tomorrow to finish the 3rd, hardest level in normal mode tomorrow. But I know if I don't get time to do that tomorrow, I probably will not have time to submit my entry before the deadline so here it is just in case.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 28, 2014

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

It is really hard to post any sort of progress on PUNCH FIGHT IV without spoiling things, but we're down to the "cram all of the assets in and add some polish" stage.

Have a few seconds of a couple dudes walking down a hallway, which is actually an incredible technical feat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQcT5COwdQw

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

Rage of Painting by Jo and Ultigonio. Not sure what I was supposed to do, couldn't figure out how to paint. B.O.B r055 painted his picture, and then it ended. Judge 3 gave me a 7/10 for doing nothing, which was admittedly pretty funny. Could use some instructions on how to make the game do its thing.

Thanks for the advice. I fleshed out our page with some more instructions. Hopefully it will be more clear.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Day 26:

Sat down to code. Had sneeze attack. Took allergy meds, promptly passed the gently caress out for 4 hours. :thumbsup:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jo posted:

Thanks for the advice. I fleshed out our page with some more instructions. Hopefully it will be more clear.

Okay, now that I know how to play it, I was able to successfully reproduce a painting poorly. Despite having painted something this time, judge three felt I did worse enough to deduct two points off my previous score, despite one and two giving me 10's. It's like watching the Olympics.

Is there anyway you can show the chosen color and size of brush being used on screen, without painting? Microsoft paint is a good example of this, you can tell very quickly at a glance what color you have selected and the size of the pixel it will be painting just by looking at your cursor.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm pulling out . Today was my last chance of finishing. But it appears moth
er nature has different ideas, since there is a thunderstorm here and even if dared turn on my computer I couldn't work through the noice and flashing light

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

We're still putting in the final level and ending, and missing some music and sound effects. What music we have is incredible, really owe it to my friend. Things are heating up! Hint mode is in (get hints on the mechanics of each stage), How to Play screen is in, and the story is set to audio.

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Getting close! Starting to get some real graphics in there, and the game now recognizes when certain recipes are cooked, and in particular ways; for example, battering/breading and then frying a Pixie in the troll fat fryer (cauldron to the left of where you start) is the Fried Pixie Sticks recipe, which will get you bonus viewer interest when completed.

I dig the weird fantasy theme going on here.

blastron posted:

It is really hard to post any sort of progress on PUNCH FIGHT IV without spoiling things, but we're down to the "cram all of the assets in and add some polish" stage.

Your game looks great and it's one of the ones I'm really looking forward to.

Shindragon's art also looks great so I'm looking forward to seeing what the game is like.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The background for the game. We went for a POV style for the player. The TV will be on the table but going to be on a separate layer. (hence why it isn't in this shot.) :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 27, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

Web Build playable here

The game is pretty much as finished as it is going to get. I am hoping that I will have time tomorrow to finish the 3rd, hardest level in normal mode tomorrow. But I know if I don't get time to do that tomorrow, I probably will not have time to submit my entry before the deadline so here it is just in case.
You could use a bit more explanation - I can't quite tell what the connection is between the bob ross video and the painting minigame.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Shalinor posted:

You could use a bit more explanation - I can't quite tell what the connection is between the bob ross video and the painting minigame.

Did you click on the question-marked box next to one of the game modes?

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

:argh: Intentionally making bad (but charming) art is hard. I'm drawing with crayons and my left hand in order to attempt this.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
I guess I'll dump my reviews into this post until the spreadsheet is up:

Public Assets
What I liked: The music and visuals were tops. :rock: The cannon was really quite fun to use.
What I didn't like: Finding the one tiny prop I missed in all the rooms at the end. The single flat keyboard which didn't get killed when I blew away the monitors. :argh: The tiny cube hiding in the dark was also a challenge to find.
What confused me: I destroyed all the props on the first level and though, "Huh. Is that it?" before I noticed the door.

What I liked: Bob Ross in the background. :3: It was a fun with minimal blocking irritations until the very end.
What I didn't like: Theme adherence is... Well, by the letter of the law it meets all the criteria of a public access show. At the end (around five minutes in) I got a combo large enough to slow the game to a crawl and halt. When regular play resumed, my control was lost for long enough for all the time to have drained.
What confused me: Nothing. Was pretty straitforward.

Jo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 27, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Ultigonio posted:

Did you click on the question-marked box next to one of the game modes?
Oh, no, I didn't, because that entire intro was buggy and I was clicking through to try and get to the game before it crashed. ;)

(the whole background flickers / looks a bit like z-fighting? but there's nothing behind it)

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shalinor posted:

Oh, no, I didn't, because that entire intro was buggy and I was clicking through to try and get to the game before it crashed. ;)

(the whole background flickers / looks a bit like z-fighting? but there's nothing behind it)

It works fine for me using Firefox and the Unity plugin.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

HD enemy ship model for realistic experience

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I finally started my game! It's coming along well and is terrible! Yay!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Shalinor posted:

Wow, really? What browser was that in? I have been testing it in IE since the Unity web player plug in doesn't work in the new 64-bit Chrome dev builds.

I just put together a new build (probably final) that has the 3rd level for normal mode and adds a black background to the main menu behind everything else that will hopefully fix the issue you were having. Try it here

Jo posted:

What I liked: Bob Ross in the background. :3: It was a fun with minimal blocking irritations until the very end.
What I didn't like: Theme adherence is... Well, by the letter of the law it meets all the criteria of a public access show. At the end (around five minutes in) I got a combo large enough to slow the game to a crawl and halt. When regular play resumed, my control was lost for long enough for all the time to have drained.
What confused me: Nothing. Was pretty straitforward.

That slow down is actually on purpose. It happens when ever you get a score multiplier. I tired a couple of different things to better convey that to the user like bullet time slow down sound effects and slowing down the movie play back, but I wasn't happy with any of them. If I had time to farther develop this, I would continue to test other ways to let the user know that the slow down effect is on purpose and to exaggerate the effects.

I have never had the time run out because of the slow down effect the way you described (the clock should slow down to the same rate), but some times it takes more than one click to get it to select another block.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 27, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wow, really? What browser was that in? I have been testing it in IE since the Unity web player plug in doesn't work in the new 64-bit Chrome dev builds.
I have never had the time run out because of the slow down effect the way you described (the clock should slow down to the same rate), but some times it takes more than one click to get it to select another block.

I never had the menu issues with your game (Firefox). One way to make it clear the slowdown is on purpose would be to stop the countdown timer altogether which would also provide an additional bonus to getting a multiplier.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Atoramos posted:

I never had the menu issues with your game (Firefox). One way to make it clear the slowdown is on purpose would be to stop the countdown timer altogether which would also provide an additional bonus to getting a multiplier.

That's a really good idea. I will see if I can get that quickly implemented.

edit: done

Try it here

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just want to say that while I wish I could have made more music this year, I now have a son who should be participating in the SA GAME DEV Challenge XXVII.

• Locked thread