Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

AlternateAccount posted:

Haha, I guess I got exactly what I asked for last week.

edit: ok the whole castithan poser thing was kind of weird. And Stahma really doesn't take prisoners, does she?

Welcome back to the Stahma Own Zone. Feel free to stretch out and stay for a while.

I also loved Rafe basically asking, "Mrs. Tarr, can Datak come over and play?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My god, the E-Rep bureaucrat wants to cosplay as an alien? I like how everything is riding a run away train into tragedy and all out war. People are people, aliens are not, but rather than taking that to heart, everyone goes right to killing and lying to each other to keep a status quo alive that died decades ago in the last war.

Stahma owns. The show needs to end with her offing the last person left in defiance, after offing all the rest of them.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

My god, the E-Rep bureaucrat wants to cosplay as an alien? I like how everything is riding a run away train into tragedy and all out war. People are people, aliens are not, but rather than taking that to heart, everyone goes right to killing and lying to each other to keep a status quo alive that died decades ago in the last war.

Stahma owns. The show needs to end with her offing the last person left in defiance, after offing all the rest of them.

God forbid it happens too soon, but when Defiance has run its course, someone, somewhere with a shitload of money and power needs to give Jaime Murray her own series.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

radical meme posted:

I really like the writing/scripting in this show. It moves along at a crisp pace. it seems to me that all of the character development is accomplished through conflict and aggression. All of the characters, even the ones that are loving and sympathetic towards each other have moments of conflict and confrontation. It just doesn't have many slow moments. Way to many TV shows have long winded dialogues that are supposed to be for character development and all they accomplish are boredom and useless trivia into their personal lives that do nothing to move the plot forward. Not this show. It's refreshing.

Also interesting is the range of 'stakes' or conflicts that are going on, from petty personal arguments all the way up to ultimate control of the planet.

"I come from a culture that worships dicks" could be a new thread title LOL. That conversation was excellent and the line was delivered perfectly. :awesome:
I think the writers are often commenting on more than just the storyline of the show and would love to be able to ask them about their own views on society and politics and what the show is saying.

Cheston posted:

Haha, Datak uses a coaster even when he's living in a crate.

That was a great little detail.

johntfs posted:

God forbid it happens too soon, but when Defiance has run its course, someone, somewhere with a shitload of money and power needs to give Jaime Murray her own series.

She was really good in Hustle too.

============
So, all it takes to look like a Castithan from the other side of the galaxy is a little greasepaint and a wig? It's always odd to me that the differences between human races are more pronounced than the differences between 'us' and an alien species. But that's a general science fiction nitpick, not a complaint about this particular series.
And casting William Atherton to be an even bigger douchenozzle than Pottinger was brilliant.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 26, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Binary Logic posted:

So, all it takes to look like a Castithan from the other side of the galaxy is a little greasepaint and a wig? It's always odd to me that the differences between human races are more pronounced than the differences between 'us' and an alien species. But that's a general science fiction nitpick, not a complaint about this particular series.

They probably look ridiculous to real Castis for subtle reasons that don't come across to us humans.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

They probably look ridiculous to real Castis for subtle reasons that don't come across to us humans.

Eye color, for one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We also know they have a heightened sense of smell since they can tell someone is pregnant by just sniffing them.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

I didn't see the scene in this way but it's so much better - and more pathetic that the Viceroy is not fooling any of them. Like on BBT when Howard Wolowitz put on dark eye makeup and fake tattoo sleeves to try and pick up 'some freaky chick with her business pierced' at a goth bar.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Did they do the thing where a player from the video game gets put on the show yet?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Harrower posted:

Did they do the thing where a player from the video game gets put on the show yet?

Yes. Last season one of the hand drawn wanted posters was who that was.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Harrower posted:

They missed a golden opportunity this episode what with there being an ark fall and al

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Binary Logic posted:

I didn't see the scene in this way but it's so much better - and more pathetic that the Viceroy is not fooling any of them. Like on BBT when Howard Wolowitz put on dark eye makeup and fake tattoo sleeves to try and pick up 'some freaky chick with her business pierced' at a goth bar.

I don't think they are really going out in public much like that. The E-rep guy asked if there was a place for people with his tastes, so everyone in that bar was likely cosplaying as an alien. It was an alien fetish bar.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
On rewatch, I think that Christie wasn't cosplaying as A Castithan Lady, I think she was cosplaying Stahma (In bearing and attitude, if not name). Something about the head motions. It would make sense as A: Stahma is the Castithan she sees most often, and B: She owns.

I wonder what Castithans think about people who do this. They're big on "Seeming is being". The "Indogene" lounge singer was great. I hope we get a better look at the Irathiant hanging around there. I'm really curious if that's a human dressed up as an Irathiant, or an Irathiant doing a bad job of Castihaning. I'm also super curious if there is a Casti equivalent.

Oh man, if the Indogene turned out to be a Castithan, that would make that place even better.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

On rewatch, I think that Christie wasn't cosplaying as A Castithan Lady, I think she was cosplaying Stahma (In bearing and attitude, if not name). Something about the head motions. It would make sense as A: Stahma is the Castithan she sees most often, and B: She owns.

I wonder what Castithans think about people who do this. They're big on "Seeming is being". The "Indogene" lounge singer was great. I hope we get a better look at the Irathiant hanging around there. I'm really curious if that's a human dressed up as an Irathiant, or an Irathiant doing a bad job of Castihaning. I'm also super curious if there is a Casti equivalent.

Oh man, if the Indogene turned out to be a Castithan, that would make that place even better.

The show got weird pretty fast.

Nolan also seems to liked getting beaten up in bed.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

etalian posted:

I think they were both drunk and thought it was funny that she punched him for calling her a Barbie doll while they were having sex.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

johntfs posted:

I think they were both drunk and thought it was funny that she punched him for calling her a Barbie doll while they were having sex.

Nolan is basically the village bicycle at this point

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

The episode started with Berlin having sex with Nolan's replacement as sheriff, Tommy. And ended with her having sex with Nolan. So it's a good kind of weird LOL.

The morals of many of the characters are so twisted sometimes it's hard to know who we're supposed to be onside with. For instance Pottinger's a drug-supplying voyeuristic bad guy - but he seemed to care about Churchill and his security detail's slaughter, and he's better than the Viceroy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

The episode started with Berlin having sex with Nolan's replacement as sheriff, Tommy. And ended with her having sex with Nolan. So it's a good kind of weird LOL.

The morals of many of the characters are so twisted sometimes it's hard to know who we're supposed to be onside with. For instance Pottinger's a drug-supplying voyeuristic bad guy - but he seemed to care about Churchill and his security detail's slaughter, and he's better than the Viceroy.

Pottinger is actually kinda refreshing as a villain simply because of just how much he hates himself over the decisions he makes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Xoidanor posted:

Pottinger is actually kinda refreshing as a villain simply because of just how much he hates himself over the decisions he makes.

I like Pottinger a lot more than I expected to. A good example of a sympathetic villain who is villainous, yet sympathetic.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It was nice to hear about the front in Texas, which has rarely if ever came up before.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Xoidanor posted:

That is what I was thinking with not knowing where to land on the guy. He might become a really good "enemy of my enemy" good guy later on, but still be a shithead because, well, he can't help it.

That white face scene near the end was edging into Twin Peaks absurdity for me, it was so wonderfully out of place and uncomfortable. I can't imagine it being anything but a fetish that isn't fooling anyone, kind of like blatant cross dressing and also I'd be interested in learning more about the face painting in the prison camps, clearly there is some kind of tribute or assimilation thing going on with people who want to be liked by them.

Also sad to see bio-man go :( he just wanted to pet the rabbits

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Churchill in the scene with Pottinger cutting Yewll's finger off. "Think of something nice. Like Christmas."

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

GreenNight posted:

It was nice to hear about the front in Texas, which has rarely if ever came up before.

I don't know any of the game story so that part confused me. Front against what? I thought the ERep and VC had a truce or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't know any of the game story so that part confused me. Front against what? I thought the ERep and VC had a truce or something.

The show has given me the impression that it's a "truce" in the trust sense of the word with both sides ready to go war again on a moments notice.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Xoidanor posted:

The show has given me the impression that it's a "truce" in the trust sense of the word with both sides ready to go war again on a moments notice.

The E-Rep and VC were also only part of the Pale Wars, though they were the most powerful participants. In my head there's also kinds of weird poo poo still in play like the Neverland Commune. The Neverland Commune is a group of ten or so insane Gulanee who really, really love the music of Michael Jackson. So, they combined their battlesuits to form a 50 foot tall Michael Jackson robot as mentioned in this story. They also carved out a territory, named it Neverland and brought in thousands out Votan and human war orphans who have had their physical aging halted and become their cult army who will sacrifice interloping outlander adults to their Michael Jackson god. It's sort of Willy Wonka meets Children of the Corn with a bigass superbattlesuit serving as He Who Walks Behind the Rows. Sure, it's only in my head (for now), but do you seriously see a bunch like that signing a truce or opening diplomatic relations with anyone? Me either.

Also, tonight is Episode 7: "If You Could See Her Through My Eyes"

Synopsis: Datak is framed for murder and turns to an unlikely ally; Irisa discovers more about her destiny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An Irathiant business man?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, everyone in the club is pretending to be Votan.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I think we already kind of knew that about the club.

Also, Datak likes his justice like he likes his women - poetic and bloody-minded.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Haha, everyone in the club is pretending to be Votan.

I wonder what other parts people have replaced / installed :dong:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Well hey, if Indogine parts can be grafted back on.. :haw:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Did anyone notice the Jew-rathient mentioned something about crossbreeding? I'd be starting to wonder if all these aliens can interbreed, but he made a point of saying that Nolan couldn't be Irisa's father 'cause she's pureblood... which would indicate that it's at least possible for some human-votan breeding to happen. Would love to see some.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

XboxPants posted:

which would indicate that it's at least possible for some human-votan breeding to happen.

The first part of the new season in the game had you looking for records to help save the life of the first Human - Castithian hybrid, who was probably grown up (you only ever meet his full-blood half-brother Castithian though.)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

XboxPants posted:

Did anyone notice the Jew-rathient mentioned something about crossbreeding? I'd be starting to wonder if all these aliens can interbreed, but he made a point of saying that Nolan couldn't be Irisa's father 'cause she's pureblood... which would indicate that it's at least possible for some human-votan breeding to happen. Would love to see some.

Christie is pregnant so...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Christie is pregnant so...

Didn't she say she was kind of drunk at the club too? Awesome.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I hope the DJ/hooker is running her game on behalf of someone more powerful that can protect her, 'cuz, if not, Stahma's gonna gently caress her world up when she catches on to the poo poo she's pulling.

The Rafe & Datak odd couple continues to be awesome and hilarious.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Word for word though, Doc Yewll still has the best dialog by far.

"I'm not a 'dispose of a dead hooker' friend."

"Look at me being crazy, ohhhh."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Word for word though, Doc Yewll still has the best dialog by far.

"I'm not a 'dispose of a dead hooker' friend."

That best thing about that was how the next scene we got with Datak immediately after that was Rafe helping him dispose of the body. :allears:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

johntfs posted:

The E-Rep and VC were also only part of the Pale Wars, though they were the most powerful participants. In my head there's also kinds of weird poo poo still in play like the Neverland Commune. The Neverland Commune is a group of ten or so insane Gulanee who really, really love the music of Michael Jackson. So, they combined their battlesuits to form a 50 foot tall Michael Jackson robot as mentioned in this story. They also carved out a territory, named it Neverland and brought in thousands out Votan and human war orphans who have had their physical aging halted and become their cult army who will sacrifice interloping outlander adults to their Michael Jackson god. It's sort of Willy Wonka meets Children of the Corn with a bigass superbattlesuit serving as He Who Walks Behind the Rows. Sure, it's only in my head (for now), but do you seriously see a bunch like that signing a truce or opening diplomatic relations with anyone? Me either.

Also, tonight is Episode 7: "If You Could See Her Through My Eyes"

Synopsis: Datak is framed for murder and turns to an unlikely ally; Irisa discovers more about her destiny.

:stare:

What. The. gently caress.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Did this get pulled from Hulu? I haven't seen new episodes on there since the first few of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Great episode, it really flew by. There's so much going on and so many great pairings of characters. Rafe & Datek; Amanda & The Viceroy; Irisa & everyone...she's so weird and violent.

Looking at the credits showrunner Kevin Murphy previously worked on Desperate Housewives which might explain some of the off-kilter sex scenes - and why there are so many in this sci fi series.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

:stare:

What. The. gently caress.

That sums up a lot of this whole season so far.

• Locked thread