Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Douche4Sale posted:

Geez, I only played about 3-4 hours of it, but Destiny feels really soulless and derivative. I mean I understand developers have influences and styles, but having it immediately start up and have you constantly accompanied by a floating orb robot was fairly eye-roll worthy.

Maybe things will open up a bit more later on (I guess I've only played 5 levels), but the environments, enemies, and weapons feel so blase. I mean you have your aliens with 3 different types that shoot at you (cough covenant), then you have your rabid aliens that charge and melee you (cough flood). Plus, I understand they were going for a more MMO/Borderlands style world, but the downside of that it a lot of backtracking and revisiting the same areas (does Bungie still not remember the criticism for reusing levels like the Library in reverse?) and it suffers even more when the areas are boring, sparse, brown wastelands and sewers/underground tunnels. I mean part of what made Borderlands work was the quirky weirdness/humor of the levels, enemies, characters, and weapons.

The amount of loading going on was pretty bad too. Load times felt long and doing anything requires multiple load screens. Leave hub (load screen) select level (load screen) play level (load screen) etc.

I just unlocked the multiplayer before going to bed, so maybe that will appeal more, but for wanting to get away from Halo so they could make something new and different, Bungie sure did turn in what feels like a run of the mill Halo clone. I mean, there are so many options (practically infinite) with scifi that it is dissapointing to see them basically slap a coat of paint on Halo and call it something else. Maybe some of these aren't design decisions but just reflective of the opening levels. However, if anything Bungie games have opened with really strong levels and given the starting tone an "epic space opera" type feel.

Also, holy crap moving around the hub and some other design elements remind me of wandering around the hub of Too Human, and any game that draws comparisons or reminders to Too Human is a game that has made a serious mistake.

It amazes me that people are still surprised to learn that Bungie is only capable of making the same game over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Only since 2001. Before that they made a variety of games.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would have liked Too Human if it'd had more small levels instead of five* levels so huge I was honestly sick of each of them by the time i got halfway through. Which is a shame because the controls, setting and upgrade system are pretty fun. The level design just drags so goddamn much the first time I played it I gave it up halfway through the elf level.

* frost giants, elves, hub, ygdrassil & hell if I remember, though there might have been one more.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 25, 2014

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

raditts posted:

It amazes me that people are still surprised to learn that Bungie is only capable of making the same game over and over.

Yeah, but I always heard that the excuse for that was that Microsoft was riding them like the cash cow they were and wasn't allowing them the freedom to diversify and follow their inspiration and true vision and other cliches. Then, they get practically a blank check from Activision and the chance for a fresh start and make HaloLands. It's just sort of baffling.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I would have liked Too Human if it'd had more small levels instead of five* levels so huge I was honestly sick of each of them by the time i got halfway through. Which is a shame because the controls, setting and upgrade system are pretty fun. The level design just drags so goddamn much the first time I played it I gave it up halfway through the elf level.

* frost giants, elves, hub, ygdrassil & hell if I remember, though there might have been one more.
It was only 4 levels. Also everybody chose Berserker and instantly loving killed themselves as soon as they slid into an exploding enemy, and the bio-engineer class was nerfed too hard. Champion class was the way they Meant You To Play the Game, but the commando with long-range stuff was simply the most efficient - I was able to drop the gorilla boss in literally 8 seconds flat, with a good bunch of runes (it was neat how almost every stat could be overlapped/stacked via runes,) and a plasma rifle. Being able to instantly/magically reload by hitting the grenade button with a rifle made them the only viable ranged weapon, especially when cannons slowed your movement down and pistols had such garbage range when shooting down incoming rockets was often so key.

Champion was fun as gently caress but it actually made my hands tired because there was so much air-juggling involved.

1000/1000 achievements baby, no regrets (except that they shouldn't have angled to make it a trilogy)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 25, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The visuals weren't one of the weak points of Too Human, it was a great-looking game and was going for the same sort of amalgam of sci-fi and mythology. The weak points were everything else.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Too Human (as well as X-Men Destiny) was proof positive that Eternal Darkness really was saved by Nintendo's intervention. gently caress Dennis Dyack.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:

Cannot Find Server posted:

Too Human (as well as X-Men Destiny) was proof positive that Eternal Darkness really was saved by Nintendo's intervention. gently caress Dennis Dyack.

The cube MGS port/reimagining was good, but I guess they just put MGS into MGS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The most expensive game ever made isn't taking risks? I'm shocked.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

raditts posted:

At least that one game happens to be pretty drat good.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

ImpAtom posted:

The most expensive game ever made isn't taking risks? I'm shocked.

Is Destiny the new most expensive game? Did it dethrone The Old Republic?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is Destiny the new most expensive game? Did it dethrone The Old Republic?

GTAIV already did that, but Destiny's budget is even higher. Between developing and market Activision says it cost 500 million dollars.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That's for the entire series, not just one game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

GTAIV already did that, but Destiny's budget is even higher. Between developing and market Activision says it cost 500 million dollars.

The director said that was false though, 500 million is what the entire series of games/DLC they have planned might cost.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alteisen posted:

The director said that was false though, 500 million is what the entire series of games/DLC they have planned might cost.

The director said that wasn't the development budget. He said he didn't know about the development + advertising budget. Activision is pumping a lot into it because they expect it to be a franchise-starter.

It's probably really bloated on the advertising perspective but still a crazy-costly game and not one they're going to take risks with.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 26, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ah, apparently it actually didn't, but I was about to say: Destiny cost 500 million dollars? :stare:

Jesus, you'd think a game that expensive would be fun. GTAV was.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ah, apparently it actually didn't, but I was about to say: Destiny cost 500 million dollars? :stare:

Jesus, you'd think a game that expensive would be fun. GTAV was.

But it is fun. :confused:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Anime_Otaku posted:

Ahh, I'm using a third party HDD because the original one was full. Though I did transfer stuff via the cable.

If I remember right the compatability software is on another partition that you'd have to create on the hard drive for it to work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alteisen posted:

But it is fun. :confused:
To me it feels like a shittier Halo, both in singleplayer and multiplayer. And it doesn't look much better either.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

To me it feels like a shittier Halo, both in singleplayer and multiplayer. And it doesn't look much better either.

You must be blind then if you think it looks worse than the original Halo titles.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

You must be blind then if you think it looks worse than the original Halo titles.

"Doesn't look much better" means it looks better, not worse. What he presumably meant is that it looks better, but only marginally, which might very well be true because the last couple of Halo games in the original series look drat impressive.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Alteisen posted:

I didn't say it looked worse. I said it didn't look much better. It has the same sort of design as the Halo games and it shows. It's very obvious that they were both made by the same dev.

Some of the indoor lighting is really spectacular on PS4 but that's about it.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I played the beta for about 4 hours today (reached level cap on a warlock) and I can't wait for the full game. The guns feel really good to me, especially the scout rifles, and the leveling and customization looks like it could produce some fun combinations. I've only played a couple PVP matches but it seemed good enough for me. I like that the character is the same in single and multiplayer so you could really make your guy play in specific ways for every situation. Probably going to run through it with the other 2 classes but so far I'm really having a lot of fun with it. My only complaint is that I can't level up a few more times :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, now that the xbone is out, there are some good 360 deals to be had. I picked up gears of war for $0.89 and gow2 for $2 at the local gamestop. Never played either, but for that price, why not? Also bully and beautiful katamari, both of which own, but did unfortunately cost more than $2.89

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I was playing the Destiny beta earlier too. Very nice I thought, the guns are satisfying, the enemies admittedly are a bit generic gameplay wise but they look nice and there are some decent wrinkles like the Fallen captains teleporting a short distance away when they take a lot of damage. I liked the environments too, there seemed to be something happening all the time due to the shared world, I just wish there was more of the public events both in terms of frequency and variety, I saw 5 total, 1 walker tank, two satellites and two "kill this guy before he gets away" missions. My only gripe is the public beta was pretty short and the servers are still a bit unreliable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think it's really really funny that they decided to basically re-skin Halo and make a sequel that one ups Halo4 in every possible way.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Anime_Otaku posted:

I was playing the Destiny beta earlier too. Very nice I thought, the guns are satisfying, the enemies admittedly are a bit generic gameplay wise but they look nice and there are some decent wrinkles like the Fallen captains teleporting a short distance away when they take a lot of damage. I liked the environments too, there seemed to be something happening all the time due to the shared world, I just wish there was more of the public events both in terms of frequency and variety, I saw 5 total, 1 walker tank, two satellites and two "kill this guy before he gets away" missions. My only gripe is the public beta was pretty short and the servers are still a bit unreliable.
Didn't they already have teleporting guys one of the last ones? I thought those skull knight dudes could tele around. I'd rather see something cool like a rolling, Star Wars-style battledroid, or a super hard to spot enemy that's not vaguely a humanoid, like invisible space snake or something. As long as there's no flood snipers clinging to walls in obnoxious indoor, butthole-colored environments I'll probably enjoy it though.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My Xbox 360 is finally dying and I want to get a new one.

Is there a 250 GB console version that has a built-in wireless adapter, or would I be forced to buy a stand-alone adapter no matter what?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

CobiWann posted:

Is there a 250 GB console version that has a built-in wireless adapter, or would I be forced to buy a stand-alone adapter no matter what?

Wireless should be in all consoles as standard starting from the Slims.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CobiWann posted:

All currently produced models have wifi built in.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Congratulations on making it this far with a 360 that used a wireless dongle.

I'm on my 4th 360 at this point.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Sheesh I guess I should feel lucky that the only problem with mine is that the disc drive stops working temporarily every so often. It's about 5 years old at this point, so while it has seen a lot of action, Microsoft had fixed most of the hardware issues by the time mine was made.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

owl_pellet posted:

Sheesh I guess I should feel lucky that the only problem with mine is that the disc drive stops working temporarily every so often. It's about 5 years old at this point, so while it has seen a lot of action, Microsoft had fixed most of the hardware issues by the time mine was made.

I'm pretty sure most of the red ring issues were resolved by the time the fat HDMI Arcade models came out, and while it may have happened I've never heard of a slim red-ringing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

raditts posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the red ring issues were resolved by the time the fat HDMI Arcade models came out, and while it may have happened I've never heard of a slim red-ringing.

Microsoft literally removed the red LEDs in the slim so that should there be a similar problem regarding overheating, it won't give the same error lights.

thedouche
Mar 20, 2007
Greetings from thedouche

:dukedog:
My 2006 20 GB fat pre-HDMI, died about 1 month before the extended warrantee was up. The refurb they gave me is still chugging along.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

matrix ripoff posted:

Congratulations on making it this far with a 360 that used a wireless dongle.

I'm on my 4th 360 at this point.

I had it plugged into a Linksys booster, but the booster is dying too. Five years with the same Xbox, it was a good run.

I can transfer the stuff on my old Xbox hard drive (the one that snaps into the side) with a transfer kit, right?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CobiWann posted:

I had it plugged into a Linksys booster, but the booster is dying too. Five years with the same Xbox, it was a good run.

I can transfer the stuff on my old Xbox hard drive (the one that snaps into the side) with a transfer kit, right?

You can, or if you dont have one you can transfer pretty much everything with a USB drive. Never used the transfer kit, but I did use a USB drive when my old xbox disk drive died. But to be fair, my old 360 only had a 20Gb HD, so it wasnt like there was that much to transfer.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cannot Find Server posted:

Microsoft literally removed the red LEDs in the slim so that should there be a similar problem regarding overheating, it won't give the same error lights.

In the case of the S model, the light in the middle of the button would just blink red

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I bought Injustice and the season pass, but I can't access any of the season pass content. It unlocks Lobo, Batgirl, Scorpion and Zod, but all those characters are grayed out in character select in all modes and I can't select them. In the DLC menu, all these characters and the season pass have a checkmark next them, indicating that I have downloaded them.

I can't find anything online describing this issue. Anybody else run into this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
So for some weird reason I seem to have $71 on my account. What's worth buying?
DLCs, Arcade games, Full titles? Apart from GTA5 and State Of Decay I haven't bought poo poo from XBL for ages.
Just throw stuff at me and I'll look.

• Locked thread