Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Crossposting from Imp Zone...

Hope you guys like paying $60 for sub-10 hour games and endless DLC!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/07/28/bungies-destiny-might-be-smaller-than-everyone-thinks/

Truly peak Activision

[fixed link]

Why would you play Halo without touching the multiplayer tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
To all these people complaining about a FPS's story mode length; someone please show me any shooter that when you just plowed through the story you had a 10+ hour game. No shooter since the PS2 era has taken me longer than 10 hours to get through on normal difficulty. Destiny has more of an RPG feel to its explorations, a ton of stuff to unlock and explore, Triple-A multiplayer modes, and more co-op stuff than any shooter has ever given us.

WTF are these people expecting from the story length? A final fantasy game? Even those main stories have gotten short.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

a cop posted:

Only if we're allowed to inform you that Marty O'Donnel has been fired :( Good news is he was fired near the end of development so it's still basically his score.

:what:

Hey guys, I have an idea. Lets fire John Williams from doing Star Wars.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
A billion gazillion freaking ship models.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22bmkl_that-guardian-came-from-earth_videogames is now live in 720p mode for those of you who were unable to get on during those two hours when the moon was available.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Apparently I put in just shy of 19 hours in the beta, and maybe half that in the alpha. I feel like I've already gotten my money's worth, and the game isn't even out yet.

Also, rocking a <1 KDR in the Crucible, but it was always fun regardless (except on the moon - gently caress the moon).

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I spent 46hours during this beta. :stare:

Really, if you are worried at all about the length you'll get out of the game. Feel free to wait and not get it. There's absolutely nothing anyone can say to change your mind, probably. I've found an absolute staggering amount of potential for myself, but know it won't carry over for every player.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tyberius posted:

There is also the secondary progression system of the Light stat which I'm sure is the gear check system in place for endgame strikes and raids.

The companion app data files have strikes where the lowest level / difficulty is 22 and the high difficulty is 28, so yeah, people worrying about the cap being 20 shouldn't. It seems to me that you gain levels 1-20 with XP, then 21+ with Light. Whatever that is..

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

a cop posted:

If anyone hasn't checked out their medals on bungie.net you should do so before they wipe everything, it's really cool seeing what they actually mean and how many you've received. I like how they weigh them based upon how difficult they are too. Really hope they improve the in-game multiplayer interface before launch, it was weird as hell how you couldn't see your and everyone elses medals in the postgame.

Is there any way to do that on the app?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

From what I read and saw it looks like Light is a stat on your gear that grants you effective levels (so can bypass more enemy damage reduction and I *think* gain your own damage reduction against enemy attacks). Gonna be interesting to see how it pans out. RPGs have been dancing around flat our granting new levels with their power creep mechanics for years, this is the first time I've seen one actually do it.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

FishBulb posted:

Dunno! But it's even kinda hidden on the regular site, you have to click 'crucible' and scroll all the way down, so might be something similar on the app.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Siets posted:

:what:

Hey guys, I have an idea. Lets fire John Williams from doing Star Wars.

To be fair that probably wouldn't harm the new films. He's not exactly improved with age.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it's a minor thing but do we think the little fly-up jump out animation way of joining a friend (On the ground) that they showed in early videos has been scrapped? Have they said anything?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This article makes me sad:

quote:

The early draft of the score, O'Donnell explained, was largely written without any idea of what the game looked or played like. When he was finished, he jokingly said, "I dumped 50 minutes of music on [the development team and said 'Deal with that. Make a game as good as that."

rip

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

FishBulb posted:

Yes, it's at the bottom of your Crucible stats (keep scrolling).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

madsushi posted:

Yes, it's at the bottom of your Crucible stats (keep scrolling).

Thanks.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm glad everyone else enjoyed the score so much. I didn't realize until now it was the thing that has stuck with me the most since beta. Can't believe they sacked the composer.

Quest For Glory II posted:

On the other hand I had absolutely no interest in this game until I played the beta.

Seconding this. I had zero interest in this game, but I may have fallen for their scheme now that I am seriously considering a preorder.

I would probably go with the PS3, since that's where the people I'd play with are, but what is the word on a PC release or cross-platform play between PS4/PS3?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

a cop posted:

Dunno! But it's even kinda hidden on the regular site, you have to click 'crucible' and scroll all the way down, so might be something similar on the app.

Christ, one of the medals I got was worth 2750 points for the single time I got it: "Strength of the Wolf" You and your team get 10 kills without anyone on your team dying.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

a cop posted:

Only if we're allowed to inform you that Marty O'Donnel has been fired :( Good news is he was fired near the end of development so it's still basically his score. It's seriously so fuckin' good, love those war drums.

I loved the heavy action scenes where the opening music was remixed into a dirty industrial electronica piece. I also hope the various crucible maps will still get their own opening music (at least, that is something I noticed it with venus and first light).

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

what is the word on a PC release or cross-platform play between PS4/PS3?

none, and no.

Though if you do start the series on PS3, you can character transfer to PS4 when you upgrade.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You character on the Playstation platforms or Xbox platforms are the same. So you can go back and forth between playing your same character on PS3 and PS4 or Xbox 360 and Xbox One as much as you'd like, according to Bungie.

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Ularg posted:

You character on the Playstation platforms or Xbox platforms are the same. So you can go back and forth between playing your same character on PS3 and PS4 or Xbox 360 and Xbox One as much as you'd like, according to Bungie.

Pretty sure they've said your Xbox characters and your PS characters can be shared, but not between companies.

Ron Mexico
Dec 31, 2004

VarXX posted:

Why would you play Halo without touching the multiplayer tho

I haven't enjoyed Halo multiplayer since dorm-room local in college. v:shobon:v Still spent 25 hours on the beta, apparently.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Just ordered a XIM4, I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

a cop posted:

If anyone hasn't checked out their medals on bungie.net you should do so before they wipe everything, it's really cool seeing what they actually mean and how many you've received. I like how they weigh them based upon how difficult they are too. Really hope they improve the in-game multiplayer interface before launch, it was weird as hell how you couldn't see your and everyone elses medals in the postgame.

I hope they add this kind of stuff to the Story mode like Halo 3 had.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Ularg posted:

I spent 46hours during this beta. :stare:

drat, I had 35 and I have no idea how. It seriously felt like maybe half that. This game makes me scared for my health and marriage.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

whoknew posted:

Pretty sure they've said your Xbox characters and your PS characters can be shared, but not between companies.

Sorry, I hoped I made it clear that you wouldn't share it between companies. You can go back and forth between PS3 and PS4. And you can go back and forth between 360 and One. But you cannot play with a PS3 player on the PS4, and you cannot play with a Playstation player on the Xbox.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

madsushi posted:

You'll be slightly better than most people and have to live with the fact you needed to pay $150 to do it. That's how it'll go.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I put maybe four hours into the alpha and beta combined. Was always fun at first but felt very repetitive.

And stop buying fuckin' kb/m for consoles you cheaters.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

On the other hand I had absolutely no interest in this game until I played the beta.

Same with me for the alpha. The lore just seemed so painfully generic I wanted nothing to do with it.

Lumpy posted:

My plan is to get a billion points on "Back in Action" medals alone.

Ha, good luck son. I've already got 101.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

madsushi posted:

This is so loving stupid.

You're paying $150 to cheat at a console shooter.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Sorry for asking a question that's probably been answered a bunch of times, but I couldn't find it in the OP or last few pages - pre-order bonuses are just early unlocks of higher-level gear, right? Including the Gamestop sparrow or whatever?

Triggsz posted:

You're paying $150 to cheat at a console shooter.

I'm not getting an XIM but it feels like it's more about kbm being more comfortable to the user than controllers more than anything. I'd love to be able to play this with kbm, not even for cheating purposes.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
So does anyone know what exactly qualifies as joining a faction yet? You have to wear an article of clothing basically but all the articles I saw for purchase under those factions required level 20. Do you have to be level 20 to join or will there be cheaper articles upon launch?

I guess if it DID require level 20 it'd stretch out the longevity of multiplayer a bit.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
No one knows that but you can rest assured that if you don't pre-order to get it, Activision will make it available for you to buy down the line.

Can anyone name pre-order/retailer DLC that wasn't made available at a later date for everyone?

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

I'm not getting an XIM but it feels like it's more about kbm being more comfortable to the user than controllers more than anything. I'd love to be able to play this with kbm, not even for cheating purposes.

If only there were some kind of game machine that used keyboard and mouse natively...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Apparently a bunch of Destiny content was leaked:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/28/was-destinys-full-game-content-discovered

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
I guess people need something to talk about for the next five weeks or so, and I guess "enough content?" is the topic de jour.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That looks like the same as the database dump we've been talking about.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I'm pretty skeptical that plugging in a XIM4 is going to give you an advantage over someone using a controller. The extra precision a mouse gives is pretty much wiped out by the imprecision involved in mapping your mouse motion to the input values for a thumbstick. And even though mouse controls usually imply it, you won't be able to turn any faster than normal, and that dissonance between your expectations of how KBM should feel versus the reality of how it's translated probably makes it overall less precise than just using the controller as intended.

That was definitely my experience with Dust 514, anyway.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Looking at the map image that comes with the Limited Edition, Saturn and Jupiter are tiny so I'm thinking their approximation of Earth/Moon/Reef/Mars/Venus is probably right, though that doesn't explain why the Speaker mentions Mercury (rather than Venus) being a 'garden world'

Oh well, always time for the outer planets in other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Paniolo posted:

I'm pretty skeptical that plugging in a XIM4 is going to give you an advantage over someone using a controller. The extra precision a mouse gives is pretty much wiped out by the imprecision involved in mapping your mouse motion to the input values for a thumbstick. And even though mouse controls usually imply it, you won't be able to turn any faster than normal, and that dissonance between your expectations of how KBM should feel versus the reality of how it's translated probably makes it overall less precise than just using the controller as intended.

I pretty much run max sensitivity with taller sticks and the auto aim would be frustrating as gently caress with a keyboard/mouse setup for Destiny.

• Locked thread