Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

My team is better than yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stickarts posted:

My team is better than yours.

An accurate statement when applied to about 3 teams so far.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

I thought for sure Jordan would take him to pair up with Chara, because holy poo poo that would have been a first line.

I don't think Erhoff was the best D left and that's a one year deal. I'd rather sign someone better to a larger deal that lasts longer. (Or no D at all)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't think Erhoff was the best D left and that's a one year deal. I'd rather sign someone better to a larger deal that lasts longer. (Or no D at all)

I think he is. Guy is really awesome and really underrated.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Danny LaFever posted:

Tough one. I think I'll go back to the blueline and select Pittsburgh Penguin Christian Ehrhoff.

I think being on Buffalo made him look worse then he is and he'll look like a #2 or 3 defenseman again this season.

Number 1 defenseman, easily. The only thing that scared me off was his contract

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tofes posted:

Number 1 defenseman, easily. The only thing that scared me off was his contract

I dunno about that. I think Martin and Letang may have something to say about that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

I dunno about that. I think Martin and Letang may have something to say about that.

Ehrhoff is far better than Paul "Mercurial" Martin.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Ehrhoff would hate to re-sign with a team that puts him on the ice with Crosby, Chara, and Hossa.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel extremely comfortable saying Ehrhoff is better than both Letang and Martin

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Yeah, I'm sure Ehrhoff would hate to re-sign with a team that puts him on the ice with Crosby, Chara, and Hossa.

I'm sure he would. For a lot of money. Ehrhoff signed a "I just got paid insane buyout money and want to win a cup, let's give this a shot for a year" deal. If he doesn't win a cup, he probably goes the Hossa route and signs somewhere else hoping for the same thing. If he does, he either leaves, or signs for market value (as Hossa did with Chicago).

Ehrhoff is four years removed from being a great offensive threat, and outside of Buffalo was never depended on to be a #1. He was the best of a bad lot.

If I was going to pick a guy on a short term deal to play with Chara, it'd be a guy who is currently undrafted and playing in Montreal, who is probably the actual best remaining defenseman. (I obviously mean Emelin).

e: Letang is heads and shoulders above Ehrhoff in terms of offensive play and he also plays more minutes. His issue is injuries, especially going forward.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2014

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ooooh controversial pick. :smug:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Alright - time to go a little maverick.

So we've got a bit of a philosophy change, some of you could argue a bit of clean-up to be done. Did Stepan and Palat go earlier than they should've? Yeah, maybe, but we've got youth, anchored by the best and most handsome goalie this side of the Atlantic, giving us the time for players to grow and the chance to build an up-tempo, high-risk high-reward kind of team that'll keep the fans in the seats. No more of this grinding, shot-blocking smothering system. We're bringing in advanced statistics, we want shooting matches because our goalie is gonna be stopping more shots than yours.

First thing's first, we needed a youngish puck-moving defenseman, and Mike Green used to sort of be one of those. He's been busted up the past few seasons, but last year he played 70 games and put up a decent CF% on an absolutely abysmal, tire-fire of a team. Discounting the garbage-broken years, you've got a player that moves the puck like few others and can eat up some minutes for you. It's a risk if he's still broken, but a steal if he bounces back (and playing in front of Lundqvist gives him the freedom to play fast and loose like we're trying to build for here). I think this is a decent way to pick since there are still dozens of young picks/grizzled vets to go around, and I wanted someone potentially elite to carry our back-end/power-play.

In comes Mika Zibanejad. Again, the youth rush. Kid put up good, good numbers for the Sens last year and is only going to get better with time. He's going to need some cushy zone-starts still, but as I said, there's plenty of defensively responsible centers available to give the hard starts to. When you can take a dynamic player entering his prime, you do it. Now in a few rounds while you guys are scrambling to pick the bottom-barrel kids to keep your team from imploding in a few seasons, I'll be picking up old dudes on short contracts to bridge the gap and keep us competitive while the core grows to maturity.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just made my shortlist, even though my pick is 15 picks away. So, yeah, I am ready.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm sure he would. For a lot of money. Ehrhoff signed a "I just got paid insane buyout money and want to win a cup, let's give this a shot for a year" deal.

Ehrhoff already signed a deal for a lot of money and I don't get the impression it ended like he wanted in any sense that wasn't financial. Sure, if he's unhappy after his one year deal, he'll go elsewhere. But as I implied earlier, playing with the guys you have your team is a pretty good reason for a player to not be unhappy.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Twin Cinema posted:

I just made my shortlist, even though my pick is 15 picks away. So, yeah, I am ready.

I am looking at extraskater now even though my next pick is over 50 away so yeah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Ehrhoff already signed a deal for a lot of money and I don't get the impression it ended like he wanted in any sense that wasn't financial. Sure, if he's unhappy after his one year deal, he'll go elsewhere. But as I implied earlier, playing with the guys you have your team is a pretty good reason for a player to not be unhappy.

Fair enough. I don't think he re-signs for the same kind of money though. If his year goes well he'll get a sizeable raise. So I don't think you can look at his contract at being all that great. As I said I don't think he was the best D available anyway, so while I did look at him, it wasn't enough to go with him. I also didn't think that the run on D would continue. As long as there are still guys who can play 22+ minutes by the time it gets back to me, I'll be happy with the D available.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
The Anaheim Ducks proudly select Carl Hagelin. Hagelin is one of the fastest skaters in the league, a possession monster, and one of the best penalty killers out there. His reputation on the PP is not really deserved, as he's never gotten a serious look there, but he's an absolute 5v5 beast. Because of this, he'll remain underpaid compared to his production for likely the rest of his career, so he's a great long-term asset. He's also instant chemistry with whatever line he's on because he just retrieves pucks and backchecks his rear end off, too. Just a top form player, and he was one of the best Rangers against the Kings.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Emelin is not the 40th best defence man in the NHL. Dude had a horrible year and I never saw much in him like others did anyway.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jordan7hm posted:

If I was going to pick a guy on a short term deal to play with Chara, it'd be a guy who is currently undrafted and playing in Montreal, who is probably the actual best remaining defenseman. (I obviously mean Emelin).

are you trying to just convince the next guy to take Emelin because come on.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stickarts posted:

Emelin is not the 40th best defence man in the NHL. Dude had a horrible year and I never saw much in him like others did anyway.

Tell me more.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

mennoknight posted:

This is the only thing that makes sense

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope none of you take him.

Verv is next, followed by A Typical Goon and fits.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mennoknight posted:

whoosh

Stickarts posted:

whoosh

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Kerr-Gretzky-Yemelin

Erhoff-Radulov

Brodeur

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

Kerr-Gretzky-Yemelin

Erhoff-Radulov

Brodeur

My god, it's full of stars!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Pictured: Alexy Yemolyn

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

stab posted:

whoosh

whoosh

I feel shame.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I don't. It's hard to tell when someone who usually doesn't tickle my funny bone tries to tickle it. It just feels like they're trying to molest me.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Generally molestation produces quite significant feelings of shame.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Fair enough. I don't think he re-signs for the same kind of money though.

Yeah no way, but I don't think that's going to really be an issue.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Yeah no way, but I don't think that's going to really be an issue.

In real life for Pittsburgh no. For my imaginary team, ehhhh. We'll see. There are going to be some overpriced but solid D available in the later rounds if last time was any indication.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

In real life for Pittsburgh no. For my imaginary team, ehhhh. We'll see. There are going to be some overpriced but solid D available in the later rounds if last time was any indication.

Heh that's a little funny actually because I was thinking it would be the other way around - Pittsburgh would have trouble retaining an inflated salary, while your imaginary team would be fine. I seem to recall teams having a lot of trouble last year getting even close to the cap.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Habibi posted:

Heh that's a little funny actually because I was thinking it would be the other way around - Pittsburgh would have trouble retaining an inflated salary, while your imaginary team would be fine. I seem to recall teams having a lot of trouble last year getting even close to the cap.

Possible. I think I'm at over 30 already though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Possible. I think I'm at over 30 already though.

Nice one, Homer. ;)

e: and the cap is going up by a Rogers unit or something, right?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
gonna take dan hamhuis. he was probably the only defenceman on the canucks last year that looked good for the whole year under a crazy person coach and has pretty much been the model of consistency since getting to vancouver

he can be the dan hamhuis to brian campbell's brian campbell

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Ill take Jacob Trouba . Though I want to win now, adding a 20 year old top 3 D man on a ELC will help me in the long run. I think Trouba was the best rookie defencemen last season, I'm kind of shocked he went so far after Jones/Lindholm/Murray. He's every bit as good as those guys, if not better. I wasn't sold on Trouba at first, but since being drafted Trouba has excelled at every level he's played at. He has so much potential, and he's already a very solid player. Quite happy with the pick.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Typical Goon posted:

Ill take Jacob Trouba . Though I want to win now, adding a 20 year old top 3 D man on a ELC will help me in the long run. I think Trouba was the best rookie defencemen last season, I'm kind of shocked he went so far after Jones/Lindholm/Murray. He's every bit as good as those guys, if not better. I wasn't sold on Trouba at first, but since being drafted Trouba has excelled at every level he's played at. He has so much potential, and he's already a very solid player. Quite happy with the pick.

Argh, sonovabitch. I knew there was no chance he'd fall but I desperately wanted him to. He would be the perfect backup plan for my busted up Mike Green.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Verviticus posted:

gonna take dan hamhuis. he was probably the only defenceman on the canucks last year that looked good for the whole year under a crazy person coach and has pretty much been the model of consistency since getting to vancouver

he can be the dan hamhuis to brian campbell's brian campbell

Good pick

A Typical Goon posted:

Bad pick

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

tofes posted:

Bad pick

Trouba rocks sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Looking at his numbers it's not as bad of a pick as I previously thought but there are still better right handed d available

• Locked thread