Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Looks like I'll be pulling a sick day tomorrow, as my game is tidy enough but entirely content free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Thanks all for the kind words on the music. It was a really tough month, and it makes me feel better than you could possibly know that you guys dig it. Here's one more that will hopefully melt your face with joy.

I HOPE YOU HAVE FACE INSURANCE

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So when the due date is midnight of the 31st - is that more like 11:59 PM on 7/31, or 12:01 AM of 7/31? (Give or take a few hours.)

Found out that my nights are pretty much booked until the 1st, so I want to make the most of the time I have left.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Your stuff is good but you'd have an INSTANT threefold increase in quality if you pumped up the drums a bit and ditched the vast majority of the reverb - especially on the bass and drums.

edit: actually, giving it another listen it's mostly the snare drum that needs pumping up on the drums - I can't hear it at all.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 30, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Protocol7 posted:

So when the due date is midnight of the 31st - is that more like 11:59 PM on 7/31, or 12:01 AM of 7/31? (Give or take a few hours.)

Found out that my nights are pretty much booked until the 1st, so I want to make the most of the time I have left.
It's midnight wherever you are. I then wake up on the 1st at some point, stare hatefully at my monitor, and possibly don't even read SA for a day / eventually declare the contest closed.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
As we enter the final stretch, congrats everyone!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Shalinor posted:

It's midnight wherever you are. I then wake up on the 1st at some point, stare hatefully at my monitor, and possibly don't even read SA for a day / eventually declare the contest closed.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that 'midnight' can either refer to the morning of the 31st or the morning of the 1st, which is why I was also confused (technically 12:00am is midnight and 12:00am of the 31st is in 13 hours). From this response though it sounds like the contest ends at the morning of the 1st (wherever you are in the world) which actually gives me tomorrow to polish and submit, rather than submitting in ~13 hours from now.

Leif. posted:

As we enter the final stretch, congrats everyone!

The temptation to make a hidden animal-based game mode was high :v: Making assets in 3D is about a bajillion times easier for us than 2D though, can't wait to show off what we've got.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 30, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Was gonna' say something along the lines of what Polo-Rican said. Good song, questionable mix. I think that's a clav doin' the funky chords in the background, too? Whatever it is, you might wanna' turn up the dry signal for that one a little bit - or lower the wet.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 30, 2014

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well, I fleshed out the wiki page for our submission (Take 2 Treehouse) and added the link to the game. There are undoubtedly problems with it now, but most importantly, in my Toxx, I said by the 31st, I would have a game submitted.

Game jams are pretty fun.

http://www.labtanner.com/sagamedevchallenge/index.php?title=TakeTwoTreehouse

Link for the lazy.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Some issues with games I noticed:

The Rage of Painting: There is no no executable file in the RAR

Angry Atheist Gamer: Your game costs money to download

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mercury_Storm posted:

Not my game, but itch.io is like Bandcamp where you can set "name your own price" deals. Above the price textbox should be a link that says something like "No thanks, take me to the download." or you can enter $0.00.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Mercury_Storm posted:

Some issues with games I noticed:

The Rage of Painting: There is no no executable file in the RAR

Rage of Painting is a Java JAR file. Install Java and then open it.

Angry Atheist Gamer's download ask for a donation but there is a link that says "No thanks, just take me to the downloads" that surprisingly takes you to the download.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Protocol7 posted:

Not my game, but itch.io is like Bandcamp where you can set "name your own price" deals. Above the price textbox should be a link that says something like "No thanks, take me to the download." or you can enter $0.00.

There's a checkbox to disable payments entirely, if you want

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Ulta posted:

There's a checkbox to disable payments entirely, if you want
I'd probably do this. Doesn't matter right now / judges know better, but if you end up in the Gamer's Choice selection? Anything like that increases user friction. Make it as easy as possible.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Protocol7 posted:

For that particular game, when I put in 0$ the thing told me "you must pay at least .50"! Just noticed the "No thanks!" link.

I love Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter, though. Would pay for a full version with a campaign through all of his episodes, though I'm not entirely sure if that'd actually be legal. :toot:

OK I installed the latest java, and ran every .jar file in the Rage of Painting folder. None of them do anything except for the one that produces an error message below:

Actually I just realized that the main .jar file was opening with WinRAR and I shouldn't have extracted everything in the first place, now it's working!

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Shalinor posted:

I'd probably do this. Doesn't matter right now / judges know better, but if you end up in the Gamer's Choice selection? Anything like that increases user friction. Make it as easy as possible.

Just did that, even though it's unlikely that I'll even get a score

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Welp. I had literally two more screens and some sprites to put in my game and my computer is now more or less broken.

I'm going to spend the day trying to fix it, but besides restoring to a couple days ago, I've got no idea. I compiled a version of my game just before it started crashing, but the ending is missing, so, that might have to do.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
It might be really helpful to have a way to see what your cast members schedules are while on the "Shoot a Scene" tab.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Polo-Rican posted:

Your stuff is good but you'd have an INSTANT threefold increase in quality if you pumped up the drums a bit and ditched the vast majority of the reverb - especially on the bass and drums.

edit: actually, giving it another listen it's mostly the snare drum that needs pumping up on the drums - I can't hear it at all.
Uploaded a new mix. I think you were right.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Ultigonio posted:

It might be really helpful to have a way to see what your cast members schedules are while on the "Shoot a Scene" tab.

Also, does the +10 Patrons effect from "The Jock" not stack with the popular kid's auto fan ability? I only got 7 fans when I used them together.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
A note for judges and potential players:

Chrome just moved their beta to 64 bit which means in the next few weeks the stable standard Chrome will become 64 bit.

Currently Unity's web player does not work in Chrome 64 bit. So you may need to use another browser to play Unity web based games.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

bagina posted:

Uploaded a new mix. I think you were right.

It sounds SO much better!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ultigonio posted:

Not a bad idea. I think I could shim it in there...

SystemLogoff posted:

Also, does the +10 Patrons effect from "The Jock" not stack with the popular kid's auto fan ability? I only got 7 fans when I used them together.

I hacked together the logic pretty quickly.

Basically, it calculates patrons first. If the movie is "good" there is a 1/3 chance that a patron becomes a fan. Then it calculates money bonuses based on these totals. So basically what the popular kid does is more "+1 guaranteed patron, +2 fans."

Fans always come to your movies, patrons don't, if you're just asking about the number change. Hopefully if I'm not an idiot the total of patrons + fans was greater than 10.

Ideally, it'll all be animated with everyone filing out of your room/treehouse/wherever you movie is debuted, so this information can be presented in a more interesting format. I just couldn't imagine tackle such an idea with my at the time relatively limited Unity skills.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Excellent to see that entries are becoming complete. You guys and girls do amazing things each year, and it is a priviledge to help judge and give merit where merit is due.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

I have, like, the simplest collision detection ever devised running, and yet I'm getting the most horrifying collision bugs. Collisions registering between objects that are really far apart from one another, etc. Everything is the worst

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Afinostux posted:

I have, like, the simplest collision detection ever devised running, and yet I'm getting the most horrifying collision bugs. Collisions registering between objects that are really far apart from one another, etc. Everything is the worst

You must learn that simple != reliable. :haw:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Afinostux posted:

You might have to define all the stupid poo poo it shouldn't do as well, or else the game will have no reason NOT to do them.

Afinostux
Dec 26, 2012

Discovered what it was! The associative array I wrote at the beginning of the month works great for most of what I was using it for, but disintegrated rapidly when things are added and removed a lot... The collision was working as intended, it's just... colliding objects with two nonsense IDs together. Good! No! That's fine, game.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Well at the 11th hour I have run into technical difficulties. Mr Podunkian has unfortunately informed me that on his sound card the machine gun effect gobbles up all of the sound channels because OpenAL never claims the sounds have finished. I can't reproduce this here but I've made a debug build of the game with on screen debugging of what's happening. Thanks for a lot of testing Mr Podunkian, but I've run out of ideas. All I can do at this stage in the comp is look to see if it's a localised issue :iiam:

So if you want to help out. Try this beta http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/games/swat/swat-beta1g.zip

Please let me know if you also have the sound cutting out (all the channels stick on AL_PLAYING) if you start spraying with the machine gun.

I've been waylaid by this so the squad ordering commands aren't in yet, your dudes will kinda stand around by the van while you complete the mission. Other than that it's basically feature complete, but obviously with a dirty great debug dump over the top of it all. It's not quite ready for judging yet.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Uh... I can't upload my game to kongregate because it is 1 mb over the limit. Any ideas? It's unity.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Chernabog posted:

Uh... I can't upload my game to kongregate because it is 1 mb over the limit. Any ideas? It's unity.

Dropbox public folder, it's what I'm doing.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
itch.io gives you the option to host a in-browser unity game. I'm not sure if there's any size limits but you could give it a shot.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

It seems like itch.io will do the trick. Thanks.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm out, put me on the wall of shame to motivate me for next year :negative:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

All right, Team Attention Spam is done.

http://www.labtanner.com/sagamedevchallenge/index.php?title=Attention_Spam

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My input is not working for some reason, it's not responding to the mouse at all. :( It looks great though!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
I hosted mad ball on an amazon s3 container. It's not free, but it looks like a normal website to users and hosting Mad Ball and Caves of Qud (which has thousands of downloads) costs me about $0.30 a month.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/Madball/WebPlayer.html

Unormal fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 31, 2014

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm feature complete, but my art looks like hot garbage. I'll be done, but going to spend tonight and tommrrow trying to make it look like just normal garbage.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Just a note for people who might be seeing Unity games not respond in browsers, try switching tabs and coming back. I guess it's some kind of Unity bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Afinostux posted:

Discovered what it was! The associative array I wrote at the beginning of the month works great for most of what I was using it for, but disintegrated rapidly when things are added and removed a lot... The collision was working as intended, it's just... colliding objects with two nonsense IDs together. Good! No! That's fine, game.

If you're adding and removing a lot in a tick it's probably best to queue changes, and have a flag on an object saying if it's been caught up. Do your stuff on the array, and then commit the changes once everything's done. Keeps you from having to adjust to constantly changing indices and iterators.

• Locked thread