Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

oldpainless posted:

If you don't feel some sort of sorrow at this point in the movie just kill yourselfself-terminate.

The only thing that bugs me about this scene is how stupid it is.

Yeah, I'll say it.

They don't know for sure they stopped the future. And Arnold's 808 wasn't going to cause it, if they say, decided he'd go shut himself down in a bunker somewhere in case John ever needed to wake him up for a whole Judgement Day thing.

I realize this is because the original ending DEFINITIVELY states that didn't happen, but I don't know.. seems like a reasonable precaution to me. Who knows, maybe if John spent a few years with him, the Terminator could have gone on posing as that dude that keeps to himself down the street. People'd probably just assume he lost his arm in the war or something with a new set of clothes.

I mean yeah, I get it, and it's a classic ending and all. But it just felt like "You know, this is really not necessary to close the time loop, right?"

ED: I also find it amusing that they never address (not even in the sequel given how obvious it is) the arm that he got ground off. They destroy the ORIGINAL Terminator arm and chip.. but not his. Arm at least. I really expected that to come up in T3, dumb as T3 is (I can't hate it though God I should) and it didn't.

ED2: The director's cut is equally silly where John becomes a Senator and his mother is living happily in the capital. I don't know in what reality a kid famous for blowing up a software company with his certified-insane mother, in which a minigun destroyed tons of cop cars and a police helicopter was hijacked in mid air, ends up a senator.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I loved T2 for its action scenes but thought it was otherwise meh.

David Foster Wallace wrote an essay about how terrible it is compared to T1

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Not a Children posted:

david foster wallace thought weed was a Serious Drug and something you could get addicted to

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah, I'll say it.

They don't know for sure they stopped the future. And Arnold's 808 wasn't going to cause it, if they say, decided he'd go shut himself down in a bunker somewhere in case John ever needed to wake him up for a whole Judgement Day thing.

I realize this is because the original ending DEFINITIVELY states that didn't happen, but I don't know.. seems like a reasonable precaution to me. Who knows, maybe if John spent a few years with him, the Terminator could have gone on posing as that dude that keeps to himself down the street. People'd probably just assume he lost his arm in the war or something with a new set of clothes.

I mean yeah, I get it, and it's a classic ending and all. But it just felt like "You know, this is really not necessary to close the time loop, right?"

ED: I also find it amusing that they never address (not even in the sequel given how obvious it is) the arm that he got ground off. They destroy the ORIGINAL Terminator arm and chip.. but not his. Arm at least. I really expected that to come up in T3, dumb as T3 is (I can't hate it though God I should) and it didn't.

well his main battery was hosed up and he was running on aux power, presumably this wouldn't last forever

plus he was kinda missing half of his face, it's a bit tough to pretend you're a real person when you've got a scary metal skull peeking out

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Children posted:

I do tend to favor T1 but T2 is a good sequel. But yeah. There are definitely steps down in some direction.. for example the loss of those amazing future scenes from Terminator 1.

That said, again, great sequel. If you want to see an easy "visual representation of how far this fell" look at the future stuff in Terminator 1 then the future stuff in Terminator Salvation. One is dripping in atmosphere and the other is absolutely generic. It's real apparent real quick which film had vision.

ED: I think they should try a Terminator show again but set it in the future. It'd be FAR FAR FAR easier to write for a post-apocalyptic Terminator universe than trying to go the way of most of the films and set it before. If you went the way of the first movie you could mostly film in filth ridden basements and junkyards more or less, with some effects blending.

Really seems like a pretty good fit.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Not a Children posted:

that's hilarious

oh i noticed kate boy is doing the T2 linda hamilton thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP2atECFIFs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Oh can't not post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRBhxizY_TE

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just want to point out that T2 was still in theatres when this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_VgVEZD0k

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

M.Ciaster posted:

Terminator 2 is awesome

Terminator 1 is also awesome, but it's an entirely different kind of movie and I can see how you could like one and hate the other (but you'd be wrong 'cause they both own bones)

also Arnie is great
there I said it
he might not be a 'good' actor but goddamn does he have heart

arnie is great because he actually full blown enjoyed doing his work, that he was as serious as a giant kid could be while fighting to not have a siezure from having too much fun.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I just like the scene where he picks up the minigun and smiles. As stupid as the "That's a smile" gas station scene kinda was, this acknowledged it in the best way.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

I just want to point out that T2 was still in theatres when this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_VgVEZD0k

I think the time is right for a Wayne's world 3

naem
May 29, 2011

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I think the time is right for a Wayne's world 3

They're like 70

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

naem posted:

They're like 70

Then it's also Grumpy Old Men 3

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Christan Bale was such a terrible choice for John Connor. Could you really picture Goddamn Edward Furlong's character growing up into that?

If you compare T1 John Connor to T2 John Connor I would say Bale was working off the source material. I thought he was a great John Connor in a bad Terminator movie and I love that he hated the original ending and wanted John Connor to die, the Terminator to take his place & then kill everyone in the Resistance, because that was the ending that movie deserved. Personally I would have gone with Marcus taking over as "John Connor" since he's more of a symbol than a person. Then again I also liked the ending of T3 where John & Kate think they are going to the place where they can shut down Skynet but it's actually a fallout shelter because Judgement Day can't be stopped so...

Not a Children posted:

What a loving goon.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The funny thing is if someone missed seeing Aliens but watches it now, they see so many things that come off as "genre cliche." They don't realize Aliens invented those cliches.

A friend of mine watched Blade Runner for the first time recently & her review of it was that it was really slow & looked like every sci-fi movie in the past 20 years & I was like OMG slut that's because those movies are copying Blade Runner!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Problematic.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

BeefThief posted:

WILL DU LEBST, KOMM MIT.

Wenn Du leben willst - komm mit mir!

The funny thing about arnies "german voice" in translation is that it has the sound of someone kind of refined and intelligent, so completely unlike arnies austrian-english mumbling.

IMO movies like T1 and T2 worked better in the time they were made. There was still that fear of nuclear war wiping the world out stuck in people's minds and the computer technology sector exploded with innovations with computers doubling and tripling their performance in very short time spans, and suddenly appearing everywhere. People weren't as familiar with computers like they are now and some were actually kind of afraid of them for various reasons. Nowadays computers are everywhere and they're your buddies and people grew up with them, also advancement doesn't feel as crazy anymore, so the whole Terminator scenario just sort of doesn't leave the same impression and isn't as effectively playing with people's fears anymore.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzB5hFINC_k

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Humans taste like shazbot

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Uncle Bob??

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Did you know Vasquez is in T2?

If not why not?

Whoa you learn something new every day!!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

she aged poorly

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

StashAugustine posted:

she aged poorly

Hmm, yes. *nods sagely while updating goon preferences spreadsheet*

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Defend the nexus!

Defend the nexus!

Defend the nexus!

I'll defend the nexus.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Awesome T2 tidbit:

You remember the bit where Arnie and the T1000 fight for the first time? The T1000 throws Arnies thru a window and a man stands shocked snapping off photos?

The reason he is shocked is not that he's just seen a man burst thru a window, it's because he recognises Arnie from a previous encounter. He is the young cop from Terminator 1 that Arnie steals the cruiser from after bashing his head against the back window. The role is deliberate and played by a member of the production crew.

[citation needed]

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tyson Tomko posted:

Uncle Bob??

Jenette Goldstein was also in Titanic.

Semi-related:

quote:

"She thought they said `illegal aliens' and signed up..." said Hudson. This line (directed towards Vasquez) was in inside joke amongst the actors. Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) had gone to the audition thinking the film would be about illegal immigrants. She arrived with waist-long hair and lots of makeup. Everyone else was wearing military fatigues.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

get down

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Bill wisher jr, James Cameron's friend and one of his writers.

This is something directors do for their friends quite a lot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
the stop-motion stuff at the end of Terminator 1 doesn't hold up very well at all, sadly

dontcareaboutname posted:

arnie is great because he actually full blown enjoyed doing his work, that he was as serious as a giant kid could be while fighting to not have a siezure from having too much fun.

his commentary for Total Recall is amazing, because he's basically narrating the film and talking about how much he likes it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Naaaaaaaahhaaaaa!

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

the stop-motion stuff at the end of Terminator 1 doesn't hold up very well at all, sadly

his commentary for Total Recall is amazing, because he's basically narrating the film and talking about how much he likes it

Also his commentary for Conan is basically "We were so drunk in this scene" or "That person really got hurt"

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics

Blazing Ownager posted:

Yeah, I'll say it.

ED2: The director's cut is equally silly where John becomes a Senator and his mother is living happily in the capital. I don't know in what reality a kid famous for blowing up a software company with his certified-insane mother, in which a minigun destroyed tons of cop cars and a police helicopter was hijacked in mid air, ends up a senator.

human being

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wasn't allowed to watch it when it came out, but it was on TV, years later, one night when my sister and I had off school. We never felt so much like the real world would end if the good guys didn't win in a movie. Every commercial, we would look at each other and realize that we had forgotten that we were watching a movie. I still feel a little that way even when I see it today.

I feel happy for the adult who saw it when it came out, and saw a movie so good that that they forgot they were in a theater.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
T1 and T2 are loving awesome. Especially T2. If you don't like watching Linda Hamilton gently caress up that psych ward and then run into Arnold in the hallway, then I dunno what to tell you.

I never saw the other movies or the TV series. I feel like this is the correct answer.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Also his commentary for Conan is basically "We were so drunk in this scene" or "That person really got hurt"

Side track:

Does anyone else find it really annoying that every actor that was ever in a scene/movie they don't like now (even if it was popular) is claiming "we did nothing but drugs/drink" as if it magically excuses them from everything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Side track:

Does anyone else find it really annoying that every actor that was ever in a scene/movie they don't like now (even if it was popular) is claiming "we did nothing but drugs/drink" as if it magically excuses them from everything.

some of them just admit they were doing it for the money / career benefits

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

Tyson Tomko posted:

Uncle Bob??

Anyone hating on this woman is dumb. She runs a shop for ladies who need bras that START at letter D.

For all of you young idiots, those are big boobs.

She also died on a diving board in Lethal Weapon 2.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bregor posted:

I never saw the other movies or the TV series. I feel like this is the correct answer.

the tv series wasn't great but at least it tried. they basically ignored terminator 3 entirely which is for the best, plus the ending makes the john connor/future resistance story a lot more interesting

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

comes along bort posted:

the tv series wasn't great but at least it tried. they basically ignored terminator 3 entirely which is for the best, plus the ending makes the john connor/future resistance story a lot more interesting

The TV Show starts terribly, but gets sharply better about 5 episodes in. It dips briefly before the series finale but exits on top. Definitely worth checking out if you like this kind of thing.

And yeah, the show creators outright state the canon is Terminator 1, Terminator 2, Show. Terminator 3 they considered a "possible future" and took some plot elements from like cancer.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
D-duh Dun der dun

D-duh Dun der dun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Bitter Mushroom posted:

D-duh Dun der dun

D-duh Dun der dun

I think you meant:

D-duh Dun der dernt

D-duh Dun der dernt