Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

fits posted:

Agreed

:mad:
Seconded, the motion carrys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So many of the guys I wanted :(

Green's extension counts. All contracts are as they are including new RFA deals and extensions.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I've looked at Barkov for each of the last two picks, cannot believe he took this long to go. He is going to be a very good player for a very long time, I think he'll be considered the most 'complete' player from the 2013 draft within a year or two.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Hi it's me gently caress you again.

I hope you get stuck with Flyers defence and goaltending.

So is your list just the top five picks of the last four years?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Danny LaFever posted:

So is your list just the top five picks of the last four years?

That would be a good list but it would sort of exclude Couturier you know.

Jordan7hm posted:

Green's extension counts. All contracts are as they are including new RFA deals and extensions.

This doesn't make any sense. Player values shouldn't change after the draft starts. Fine, the stated rules give an exception for current FAs, but they certainly don't imply anything about pending FAs.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My D is definitely going to suck. I kind of wanted a d-man with that last pick but there wasn't really anyone I rated at Couturier's level. I like the Spurgeon/Greene picks - two New NHL puck moving dudes who would do a great job hitting Johansen/Duchene in stride. Unfortunately I think we all value those kinds of guys very highly and they're identifiable to a greater degree now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

My D is definitely going to suck. I kind of wanted a d-man with that last pick but there wasn't really anyone I rated at Couturier's level. I like the Spurgeon/Greene picks - two New NHL puck moving dudes who would do a great job hitting Johansen/Duchene in stride. Unfortunately I think we all value those kinds of guys very highly and they're identifiable to a greater degree now.

Yeah your team would be a lot better with a bona fide number one defenseman but it looks like you'll have to do defense by committee. But your makeup seems like it will be similar to the Islanders -- absurd forwards group, uneasy young defense.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Couturier is a good pick, I'd be comfortable with him as a second line center

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I also loved the Greene-Spurgeon pick. Spurgeon especially falls under the radar but with him, Brodin, and Suter, that makes a fine as beck defensive core in Minnesota.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cooter is a better pick than Zibanejad from way earlier.

I'm not sold on the Spurgeon / Greene combo. I think you could have done better picking 2 D there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Cooter is a better pick than Zibanejad from way earlier.

I'm not sold on the Spurgeon / Greene combo. I think you could have done better picking 2 D there.

Eh, I'm not convinced (at least from a fancy stats angle). Z put up way better stats on a substantially worse team. I think guys like Couturier are still available, granted they're nearer to 30 than 21 but still. It's easier to find defensively responsible guys than folks than can bury the puck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Eh, I'm not convinced (at least from a fancy stats angle). Z put up way better stats on a substantially worse team. I think guys like Couturier are still available, granted they're nearer to 30 than 21 but still. It's easier to find defensively responsible guys than folks than can bury the puck.

Couturier is a 21 year old playing as a shutdown player and he still put up just shy of 40 points. If he was 30, that'd be one thing, but he's not. The fact he played in the NHL as an 18 year old is significant.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
So, the next few picks are as follows:

Stickarts
johnfw50
VJeff
Habibi
Pat Clements

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Couturier is a 21 year old playing as a shutdown player and he still put up just shy of 40 points. If he was 30, that'd be one thing, but he's not. The fact he played in the NHL as an 18 year old is significant.

Which is admittedly not unlike Jordan Staal, and as a Pens fan I recognize the value in that type of player. That said, I think these types of players are far more complimentary than they are backbones to developing a team. (I definitely took Z way too early)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Jared Spurgeon had almost identical usage to Ryan Suter last year and scored more and had better possession numbers. He is highly underrated.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/wild-about-numbers/2014/4/29/5662208/wild-about-numbers-wild-players-the-norris-trophy

Andy Greene's usage is borderline masochistic and he still dominates possession wise. He is excellent. Age could be an issue because he relies so much on his skating but he's a really smart dude to boot.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/7/7/5874853/what-kind-of-contract-extension-should-we-expect-for-andy-greene

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Which is admittedly not unlike Jordan Staal, and as a Pens fan I recognize the value in that type of player. That said, I think these types of players are far more complimentary than they are backbones to developing a team. (I definitely took Z way too early)

Cooter is my 6th best forward. I think he'll do fine.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 31, 2014

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Jared Spurgeon had almost identical usage to Ryan Suter last year and scored more and had better possession numbers. He is highly underrated.

http://www.hockeywilderness.com/wild-about-numbers/2014/4/29/5662208/wild-about-numbers-wild-players-the-norris-trophy
He didn't have nearly identical usage to Ryan Suter. He was used in similar situations but for significantly less time each game. Ryan Suter's value is in his ability to play 30 minutes a night and still produce pretty good results production-wise. Spurgeon has yet to play an 82 game season.

Saying Spurgeon scored more than Ryan Suter is seriously misusing the phrase "scored more".

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Oop my turn? Sorry folks. Anyway, I may be able to let the snake come back to me another time or two but I don't want to risk it. Scott Hartnell will join the Blues. I love the way he plays and am willing to put up with dumb penalties to get the physicality he offers. He is apparently a possession monster and he generally always tries hard, even if he is a little streaky in terms of the scoresheet. I have him locked up in terms of draining out the useful years of his career, and while his cap hit isn't great he comes off the books just in time for my stable of youngsters to a start needing UFA contracts. And I'm not exactly hurting for space.

So far I have only had 2 players picked from the lists I create. Of course they were ppg players, but I was expecting to get raided a whole lot more. Now expect to have the next 10 consecutive picks come down off my list.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He scored at slightly higher rate than Suter ES per 60 (.86 vs. .80) and was slightly worse on the PP (2.99 vs. 3.07)

He had a higher ES scoring rate last year than Yandle/Campbell/Shattenkirk/Voynov/Fowler (among others) while playing difficult minutes.

Obviously he's hasn't proven that he can handle the sheer amount of minutes that Suter plays (although he was still in 45th in TOI among d-men last year, AKA top pairing levels) but the quality of his minutes were high (higher than Suter's) and paired with Greene or anchoring the 2nd pair he would excel.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 31, 2014

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Phone posting to take Matt Moulson, LW.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Yeah your team would be a lot better with a bona fide number one defenseman but it looks like you'll have to do defense by committee. But your makeup seems like it will be similar to the Islanders -- absurd forwards group, uneasy young defense.

And, just like the Islanders, no mention of a goalie. :haw:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Gimme the hot sauce. LW - Tomas Tatar from the Detroit Red Wings.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Greene is a good pick and the contract is a huge bonus. It's a crime Barkov fell as far as he did. I really wanted to take him where I too Olli.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Next up:

Habibi
Pat Clements
eXXon
mentholmoose
Twin Cinema

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Twin Cinema posted:

Next up:

Habibi
Pat Clements
eXXon
mentholmoose
Twin Cinema

It's so close I can smell it.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
god drat it Habibi get your rear end in here and pick, my trigger finger is itchy

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone post the teams so far because I wanna make fun of you nerds

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Paulocaust posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit#gid=671811590

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is there any way to disable those obnoxious colour-coded names, besides encouraging people not to do that?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Pat Clements posted:

god drat it Habibi get your rear end in here and pick, my trigger finger is itchy

Patience, patience. I just got home. Let me look over what's happened this morning and I'll make my pick within three hour.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

eXXon posted:

Is there any way to disable those obnoxious colour-coded names, besides encouraging people not to do that?

I think they're pretty sharp.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

Why yes, yes I am procrastinating.

Tavares/JVR/Jones/Filppula/Bishop
Crosby/Chara/M. Koivu/Hossa/Ladd
Lundqvist/Palat/Stepan/Green/Zibanejad
Stamkos/Yandle/Backes/Kronwall/Zuccarello
Karlsson/Spezza/Shattenkirk/Nielson/Ehrhoff
Malkin/Voracek/Giordano/Stralman/Hagelin
Ovechkin/Zetterberg/Kesler/Campbell/Hamhuis
Giroux/Datsyuk/Little/Perron/Trouba
Toews/Bobrovsky/Byfuglien/Barrie/Eriksson
Subban/Parise/Carter/Fowler/Marchand
Seguin/Schneider/Josi/Steen/Gallagher
Kopitar/Neal/J. Staal/Gologoski/Saad
Hall/Krejci/Hamilton/Henrique/Maata
Kane/Price/Sharp/Okposo/Wisniewski
Doughty/E. Staal/Skinner/Nisknanen/Dubinsky
Suter/Stastny/Hanzal/Pominville/Gormley
MacKinnon/O'Reilly/Turris/Faulk/Enstrom
Rask/Eberle/Vanek/Galchenyuk/Gaborik
Getzlaf/Pavelski/Oshie/Hertl/Markov
Weber/Nugent-Hopkins/Vlasic/Nash/Semin
Backstrom/Ekman-Larsson/Simmonds/Carlson/Iginla
Pietrangelo/McDonagh/Tarasenko/Kadri/Hornqvist
Keith/Thornton/Voynov/Burns/Yakupov
Kessel/Hedman/Lindholm/Wheeler/Drouin
Bergeron/Pacioretty/Seabrook/Muzzin/Nichushkin
Couture/Letang/St. Louis/Granlund/Brodin
Marleau/Schwartz/Kunitz/Murray/B. Schenn
Benn/Landeskog/E. Kane/Ryan/Barkov
Perry/H. Sedin/Quick/Phaneuf/Gardiner
Duchene/Johansen/Lucic/Nyquist/Spurgeon

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

He didn't have nearly identical usage to Ryan Suter. He was used in similar situations but for significantly less time each game. Ryan Suter's value is in his ability to play 30 minutes a night and still produce pretty good results production-wise. Spurgeon has yet to play an 82 game season.

Saying Spurgeon scored more than Ryan Suter is seriously misusing the phrase "scored more".

He didn't play the assload of minutes Suter played but he still averaged 22:38 a night so it's not like he was sheltered. And he did quite well with those minutes.

I'm comfortable with those two guys anchoring my top two pairs, or even being a pair themselves. I'm rather curious who you'd consider better options. Look through the d left. The ones that can score have big question marks, and the ones that don't aren't any better possession wise than either of the guys I just took.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

[who would you take]

I think the value of individual possession numbers is overblown so take my comments with a grain of salt if you really believe they're good at demonstrating value. Not going to say who I think would be a better pick at this stage, but I will actually couch what I said by saying I didn't realize he was a right handed shot. That makes a difference in how I would value him.

Ginette Reno posted:

He didn't play the assload of minutes Suter played but he still averaged 22:38 a night so it's not like he was sheltered. And he did quite well with those minutes.

Spurgeon played 5 fewer minutes of ES hockey than Suter per game, close to 700 over the course of the season. That is a very significant difference.

e: the Suter v Spurgeon thing and not liking the Green / Spurgeon combo are different things and I don't mean to confuse them.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 31, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
We're not even really debating Suter vs. Spurgeon (although Spurgeon compares quite well last year on a minute vs minute basis) - Suter was picked in the first round after all. The real question is about the choice of Spurgeon at this stage which is a fine one imo - you can quibble about it but it's a pretty reasonable pick.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

not that spurgeon is a bad pick (i had him on my list of players to pick) but claiming he's basically like ryan suter based on possession and per 60 stats ignores an awful lot of important context and some pretty basic facts. like the 4 inch height difference for one

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

We're not even really debating Suter vs. Spurgeon (although Spurgeon compares quite well last year on a minute vs minute basis) - Suter was picked in the first round after all. The real question is about the choice of Spurgeon at this stage which is a fine one imo - you can quibble about it but it's a pretty reasonable pick.

As a response to me posting I didn't like the picks you posted an article where the guy argues Spurgeon has a better case for the Norris than Suter.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

As a response to me posting I didn't like the picks you posted an article where the guy argues Spurgeon has a better case for the Norris than Suter.

It's a bar for how good Spurgeon is (or was last year) - that is: very good and worthy of a late 5th/early 6th round pick.

the talent deficit posted:

not that spurgeon is a bad pick (i had him on my list of players to pick) but claiming he's basically like ryan suter based on possession and per 60 stats ignores an awful lot of important context and some pretty basic facts. like the 4 inch height difference for one

Erik Karlsson is 5'11. Who cares. If they can play they can play are we really not past this? Sure if all things are equal you go with size, and it's no doubt a bonus, but all things aren't equal - I don't see many d-men on the board who compare favorably to what Spurgeon did last year. Teams discounted players like Brian Rafalski for years because of this and it bit them in the rear end. Jordan's games played critique is a reasonable one - health could potentially be an issue but these weren't serious injuries and he's only 24.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 31, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Habibi posted:

Patience, patience. I just got home. Let me look over what's happened this morning and I'll make my pick within three hour.

John Scott is available

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Gimme Tomas-weird sign thingies Plekanec. Effort post in just a bit.

Pat Clements and his itchy trigger finger are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The order on the way back down is:

23.New York Islanders -- Pat Clements
22.Carolina Hurricanes -- eXXon
21.Philadelphia Flyers -- mentholmoose
20.Dallas Stars -- Twin Cinema

• Locked thread