Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Johanns Molemann posted:

now i wont be able to read exciting articles about what ryback eats or collect fold out posters of ryback eating

this truly is the darkest of days :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xenoletum posted:

I'm preeeeeety sure that Rogers paid them a lot of money for this so they aren't killing any chances in Canada, but rather making a killing in Canada.

Yeah, at worst, you're gonna pay the same price you would for the PPVs and get a bunch of other random poo poo as a bonus. More likely, you pay LESS than you would for the PPVs and still get extra.

Johanns Molemann posted:

now i wont be able to read exciting articles about what ryback eats or collect fold out posters of ryback eating

BIG GUY
BIG BY(lines)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Johanns Molemann posted:

The worst loss of all, even moreso than losing The Network. RIP.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

quote:

--Regarding the WWE magazine, the final issue will be the October issue, which hits the streets on 9/16. The magazine could possibly continue using an outside publisher where the company would lease out its name, but WWE itself will no longer be producing it.

There you go.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Valeyard posted:

In recognition of the Stinger I ask you to join me in changing your text alert tone to this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgwccdifsbj7d9a/text.mp3 and your ringtone to this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5jaophemjgpfsg/tone.mp3

Thank you all.

http://tindeck.com/listen/ohwc

AND

http://tindeck.com/listen/ffkg

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't notice anyone else bring this up from the notes today, but this

quote:

They found 91% access the Network once a week using an average of 2.5 devices.

seems high enough to point towards the speculation of significant amounts of account sharing. Unless I'm vastly underestimating the majority of Network users either watching in multiple rooms, or while at work/away from home that just seems like it should be the high end and not an average.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The337th posted:

seems high enough to point towards the speculation of significant amounts of account sharing. Unless I'm vastly underestimating the majority of Network users either watching in multiple rooms, or while at work/away from home that just seems like it should be the high end and not an average.

I use more than one device every week easily. Computer and iPad for sure and occasionally my phone.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The337th posted:

It really depends. I have 8 devices in my household that are presently set up for WWE Network (Amazon Fire in the living room, a laptop, my PC, 360/PS3, phone, iPad/Kindle) and I tend to only use the PC unless I happen to want to be on the couch, which just isn't as fun because I can't poo poo up a GDT from there nearly as well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'll use my PS3, my phone and my work computer on any given week.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PS3, AppleTV, Home Computer, Work Computer, phone, tablet

I'm accessing the network on roughly 3 devices a week. Makes sense.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Solomonic posted:

I got my wedding pictures back today and there's one I didn't know about where I'm talking to a group of guests and my wife is behind me doing the Orton pose in full bridal attire

I'm not sure how to feel about this

Your wife is awesome and your marriage is off to an auspicious start.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Deadpool posted:

This is an actual officially made WWE video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zLWQNsIr_Q

:stare:

reminds me of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF50-diDuwo

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

It really depends. I have 8 devices in my household that are presently set up for WWE Network (Amazon Fire in the living room, a laptop, my PC, 360/PS3, phone, iPad/Kindle) and I tend to only use the PC unless I happen to want to be on the couch, which just isn't as fun because I can't poo poo up a GDT from there nearly as well.

That's where I'm curious about how others use it. I've got at least 5 devices I've watched it on at some point or the other but in a typical week, like the note alludes to. I'm really only watching it on one.

The337th fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 31, 2014

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Saved By The Bell? But:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYyOXRfsrBA

(This video is proof that everyone from random midcarders trying to get over to even Randy loving Orton are hurt by too much oversight creatively. I swear if they scripted less poo poo the business would be comparatively booming right now. :( )

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Daniel Bryan posted:

Also looks like WWE Magazine was killed today. They're looking to strike a deal with a publisher to make a "WWE Magazine" but it's finished as an in-house product.

Well that's the print industry.

Makes me kinda wonder why the Apter magazines are still around

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I love you Orton, please do more of this and that jumping split you did that one time :allears:

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Vertical Lime posted:

PWI is the only left now, I think.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

I love you Orton, please do more of this and that jumping split you did that one time :allears:

I love the story that he did that split-jump to mock an agent that told him he wasn't showing enough babyface fire in his comebacks.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

They cut the lot to one magazine, it's $9.95 and the places carrying it have decreased significantly.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Saved By The Bell? But:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYyOXRfsrBA

(This video is proof that everyone from random midcarders trying to get over to even Randy loving Orton are hurt by too much oversight creatively. I swear if they scripted less poo poo the business would be comparatively booming right now. :( )

God that was awesome. Reminds of another video where the crowd was dying and Orton grabs a mic in the middle of the match and talks about how he hates being in their hometown, that the snow is keeping him from driving home, etc. It was amazing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Gaz-L posted:

I love the story that he did that split-jump to mock an agent that told him he wasn't showing enough babyface fire in his comebacks.

I just looked this up and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
More Meltzer notes about WWE finances:

quote:

WWE network will offer a $19.99 per month price for those who don't want to commit to the six month period. It's clear from the number of people who dropped the network even with the commitment in place that it will be much easier to just order at $9.99 and stop paying.

A one-time payment plan has been offered. Currently subscribers are billed $9.99 per month, but now they can sign up for $59.94 and be billed all at once. The hope is that people will sign up to be billed all at once which saves money for people who decide to drop.

The network has 700,000 subscribers as of 6/30. They didn't give an updated number. Between 4/7 and 6/30 they added 161,000 subscribers, but had 128,000 cancellations. They wouldn't give details but this is likely shortly after WrestleMania when they had the big jump in subscribers.

The cancellation number is the huge story here.

The network will be available in 170 countries on August 12. The key countries that affects are Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

They are targeting October for the U.K.

Countries like Italy, UAE, Germany, Japan, China, Thailand and Malaysia would be available at a date to be announced

WWE signed a ten year deal with Rogers Communications for exclusivity in Canada through 2024. This will include all current programming. The WWE Network will be offered as a traditional television PPV channel in Canada starting August 12. That explains the recent Observer report of WWE purchasing transponder time and testing out the network feed, as a prelude to a television availability. Rogers will own not only the broadcast rights but the digital rights to all the major WWE television shows.

There will be massive cost cutting internally. These costs will save the company $10 million this year and $30 million in 2015.

The cutting wasn't specified past a seven percent reduction in the workforce. It was noted that with the reduction in the work force, there will be a one-time loss of $4.5 million for severance packages taken during the current third quarter.

They will add Monday Night War and WWE Rivalries to the program schedule shortly.

If they average 650,000 subscribers in the third quarter, they estimate OIBDA losses of $12 to $17 million in the next quarter, but with the cost cutbacks, annual OIBDA losses would be $25 million to $35 million. Previously they had estimated annual losses (not OIBDA, but total losses) at $45 million to $52 million.

The network itself lost $15.5 million in OIBDA.

The cutbacks are so significant that they now feel they can break even on 500,000 subscribers in 2015 as opposed to 1.4 million subscribers and at 1.5 million subscribers they will have OIBDA of $100 million to $120 million, which is more than they had pre-network.

For the quarter, the company recorded $156.3 million in revenues and lost $14.5 million.

The WrestleMania quarter last year took in $152.3 million in revenues and had $5.2 million in profits.

On a world wide basis, WrestleMania did 690,000 buys, Extreme Rules did 108,000, Payback did 67,000 and Money in the Bank did 122,000. For 2013, those shows did 1,104,000; 245,000, 198,000 and 223,000 last year. Keep in mind U.S. totals for all shows were way down, but in theory (not fact), international should be the same. It's not, due to the number of international subscribers to the network.

TV revenue was up from $38.7 million to $43.8 million due to Total Divas and some international contract gains.

Digital media was down from $7.4 million to $5.2 million due to less Internet PPV purchases of WrestleMania and the other shows.

House show attendance was up 13% domestically, misleading because they had 11 fewer shows, meaning the higher attended TV tapings make the average look higher. Because of fewer events and smaller overall attendance, arena merchandise was down 7%. This doesn't include WrestleMania, which was down this year due to a lower attendance and gate. International was down 8%

Licensing was down due to lower video game sales.

WWE shop revenues increased 33% from $3 million to $4 million because of an increase in orders. A lot of that increase was due to a new distribution model in the U.K. utilizing Amazon.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Man, I guess a bunch of people did make good on their threat to cancel after the last couple PPVs. This makes Triple H's promo a couple weeks back even funnier.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Man, I guess a bunch of people did make good on their threat to cancel after the last couple PPVs. This makes Triple H's promo a couple weeks back even funnier.

Let's just go out here and poo poo on the fan base that's probably most likely to buy the Network aaaaand done! Perfect!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

They cut the lot to one magazine, it's $9.95 and the places carrying it have decreased significantly.

Yeah, I noticed I could barely find one recently.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It really is surprising how many people dumped the network. This really paints out how small a part of the audience hardcore-lifer fans really are.

If the network deal changes to where you can't get the current offerings of all PPVs, that will really kill it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

armoredgorilla posted:

Let's just go out here and poo poo on the fan base that's probably most likely to buy the Network aaaaand done! Perfect!

"What you don't like John Cena being champion. Then why don't you cancel the network :smug:

...hey wait why'd you cancel the network?"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

"What you don't like John Cena being champion. Then why don't you cancel the network :smug:

...hey wait why'd you cancel the network?"

Cancelling the network isn't technically an option through WWE, i'm kinda shocked how many people casually stopped bank payments (if the 5% paypal figure is right) with no regard to credit ratings or if WWE would dispute it or not. Maybe they should look to charging the 6 months as a $60 lump sum.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I'm curious what the number will be when a gently caress ton of people drop their subs after the 6 month mark.

I'll drop mine until rumble probably. No way I'm paying 19 or 59 either

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

That many people canceled with only 5% on Paypal?! Holy poo poo.

My resub is pretty much based on "does Brock Lesnar win the title?/Does anything legitimately interesting happen?"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I'm curious what the number will be when a gently caress ton of people drop their subs after the 6 month mark.

I'll drop mine until rumble probably. No way I'm paying 19 or 59 either

Well it'll probably be a little less of a drop than you'd expect seeing as how a lot of people who were literally only interested in a cheap way to see wrestlemania already dropped their sub directly.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DeathChicken posted:

I really love how Michaels managed to sneak superkick so many people that even now whenever he shows up, there's always the thought in the back of my mind that, yup, this guy is probably getting superkicked.

This exact thing was what made the Bret Hart return segment amazing. They shake hands, HBK stops, and I swear he does a very slight twitch where it looks like he's ABOUT to kick him, then he hugs him instead.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Why aren't they going after people for the rest of their commitment? That's what I'd want to know as an investor.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Why aren't they going after people for the rest of their commitment? That's what I'd want to know as an investor.

WWE probably can't afford to hire a debt collector. Or it's not worth it because of the small size of the debt.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

bradzilla posted:

WWE probably can't afford to hire a debt collector. Or it's not worth it because of the small size of the debt.
They have one working as an agent

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Perigryn posted:

They have one working as an agent

And if he fails at his job, they have another guy to compensate.

Really, I don't know why those two never tagged.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bryan's most likely done until the 2015 Rumble per the Observer. Sting's going to be in LA for Summerslam presumably to meet with Vince.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bryan's most likely done until the 2015 Rumble per the Observer. Sting's going to be in LA for Summerslam presumably to meet with Vince.

That's like 5 months away. How bad is he?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Deadpool posted:

Here's the update on Canada from Dave

Well to be fair, it's not like Canada has much of a history with pro-wrestling. It's also noted for having very unenthusiastic fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That's like 5 months away. How bad is he?
One arm's weaker than the other for one.

• Locked thread