Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

T-Bone posted:

Erik Karlsson is 5'11. Who cares. If they can play they can play are we really not past this? Sure if all things are equal you go with size, but all things aren't equal - I don't see many d-men on the board who compare favorably to what Spurgeon did last year. Jordan's games played critique is a reasonable one - health could potentially be an issue but these weren't serious injuries and he's only 24.

if you want to go by numbers marco scandella put up similar even strength rates as spurgeon with a 43% ozone% compared to 52.8% for spurgeon. that's a pretty favorable comparison with a teammate. if scandella got spurgeon's deployment and ice time he'd almost certainly outproduce him easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Scandella isn't a bad player at all but despite the zone starts his minutes were easier and he did worse with them compared to Spurgeon. His P/60 is also worse (although not much worse - it's the PP where Spurgeon has the big advantage we don't know what Scandella could do on the PP because he hasn't gotten a shot yet) than Spurgeon's 5v5 so yeah no. Scandella is a solid player though - he (arguably) outplayed Brodin last year.

e: Almost took Plekanec but went with Cooter's upside - Plekanec was probably the best win now C left though. I also didn't have the balls to take Daniel even though that could pick has a ton of upside if he returns anywhere near to form.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 31, 2014

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I'm taking a relatively big gamble here. I'm also breaking the Sedins up for the first time in a draft and picking Daniel Sedin, left winger formerly from the Vancouver Canucks.

Daniel's brain might be a little scrambled, but he might get it back together. We all know what he's capable of when he's healthy.

I needed a real left wing, and we know Daniel works best with a passing wizard, so it's a good thing he's playing on a team with Joe Thornton.

It's also good that I picked Daniel and not Henrik because we all know that Jumbo and Henrik are not the best of friends:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That would be interesting if it actually happened.

e: Ah gently caress, I didn't realized another player I wanted was still available. gently caress.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
thank god someone took daniel, i was starting to think i was going to end up with another winger

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I was shocked he fell this far, people are making bigger gambles on players with less of a demonstrated upside

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Plekanec was at the top of my list, but I went with Semin, who was number two. This was mostly because of Semin's offensive ability, and the fact that he's two years younger than Pleks. It could prove to be a bad move, because Pleks is a good two-way center.

As for Daniel, I was wondering when he would go. It's amazing how much changes in only a year, as whomever took Henrik and Daniel last year was lauded for his great picks. This year, he has dropped to the sixth round.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
He played close to a full season and had less than 50 points, and he's on the back half of his career. It's not a huge surprise he fell so far. (He probably won't shoot 7% next year and the pick will look really good.)

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Haha that's Henrik. Unless Daniel chose to pose with Henrik's Hart Trophy.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Haha that's Henrik. Unless Daniel chose to pose with Henrik's Hart Trophy.
Hahaha I completely forgot that Henrik won the Art Ross the year before Daniel did and figured someone was with someone else's trophy either way :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tarasenko needs a Russian friend, so give me Evgeny "Zhenya" Kuznetsov. I was hoping to get a center with real NHL experience here, not 17 games under a dumbass Adam Oates, but at least Kuznetsov has played C before (even though he's dreadful at faceoffs even in the KHL). If he doesn't work out as a center, he will probably be a good offensive winger still, and I'll have to find some veteran C's later on. It may be a bit early for Kuznetsov, but seeing Barkov and Drouin go makes me think he won't last till the next time I pick.

I also found this documentary on Kuznetsov from 2006, when he was a whopping 12 years old. Uh, apparently his older brother died in May Day celebrations. :psyduck: Also at 4:01, it looks like they have a plate with a fried egg mounted on the wall.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 31, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

eXXon posted:

Tarasenko needs a Russian friend, so give me Evgeny "Zhenya" Kuznetsov. I was hoping to get a center with real NHL experience here, not 17 games under a dumbass Adam Oates, but at least Kuznetsov has played C before (even though he's dreadful at faceoffs even in the KHL). If he doesn't work out as a center, he will probably be a good offensive winger still, and I'll have to find some veteran C's later on. It may be a bit early for Kuznetsov, but seeing Barkov and Drouin go makes me think he won't last till the next time I pick.

I also found this documentary on Kuznetsov from 2006, when he was a whopping 12 years old. Uh, apparently his older brother died in May Day celebrations. :psyduck:

*throws my shortlist into the garbage*

I thought I would chance not taking Drouin or Kuznetsov with my last pick, but that appears to have been a bad move on my part.

e: for the record, I thought people may forget about Kuznetsov's existence.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 31, 2014

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kuznetsov was #2 on my shortlist :(

if my #1 goes before my pick i'm gonna be unhappy

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I was going to take cat horse...

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
i joined an extremely time intensive fantasy draft with absolutely zero stakes and prizes and expected the other participants to be dumbasses who forget about good players

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

i joined an extremely time intensive fantasy draft with absolutely zero stakes and prizes and expected the other participants to be dumbasses who forget about good players

this, but without the condescending tone, mister.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Someone has already drafted Brandon Gormley.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I can't tell if you guys are crazy or if I'm crazy because almost nobody is being picked off my lists

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
It's not me is it?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

I can't tell if you guys are crazy or if I'm crazy because almost nobody is being picked off my lists

A little bit of column A, a little bit of column B.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

It's not me is it?

It's mentholmoose, Twin Cinema and then you.

tofes posted:

You're crazy.

I did expect some of the defensemen on board to be gone by now, but whatever. If your list has a bunch of guys in their early 30s, then that's probably why they haven't been picked yet.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Your 30's: too old to play hockey according to goons

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I have my stupid bad pick ready, and the longer mentholmoose takes, the more I doubt myself and starting thinking of other, equally as bad, options.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tofes posted:

Your 30's: when hockey players decline according to fact. Except goalies because gently caress goalies.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have spoiled you

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Frankly, most of my vet picks last time turned out to be horseshit (prob. 'cause they were bad picks, but I still can't believe Kovy hosed off), so I'm just going really young this time. Just call my VPierre.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
My team has intentionally trended older early on because I feel like the emphasis in these things is always towards younger guys with high upside.

The added value I feel like I'm getting from picking older guys is highest in the earlier rounds and seems like it will taper off as we get deeper into the draft, though.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

eXXon posted:

Your 30's: when hockey players decline according to fact. Except goalies because gently caress goalies.

Statistical analysis is not fact and I think a lot of you are drawing erroneous conclusions when it comes down to player age.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau have spoiled you

Or maybe that's it

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
My power's been out the last three hours, didn't realize it was my go. Is Cody Hodgson still available? If so I'll take him. Can't edit the spreadsheet because I'm on my phone.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hodgson is available.

btw, if you're not reading the notes on the spreadsheet, boy are you missing out.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

Statistical analysis is not fact and I think a lot of you are drawing erroneous conclusions when it comes down to player age.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I like Hodgson but his corsi is so fuckin' bad. Like really, really bad. Bottom of the barrel bad.

I don't know how much of that you can attribute to the Sabres "hockey" club though. He'll probably break out one of these seasons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

gently caress it, before I do any more wavering, I will take Jonathan Huberdeau

With Drouin and Kuznetsov, my top two picks, being taken, I will go to a young dude that everyone in the world is super down on right now. Last year, he went 51st overall, and after a quick glance, was by far the worst selection in the second round. So, what happened? He had a sophomore slump. He had hip surgery in the offseason, and was unable to do any preparation (like put on that sweet sweet mass), which may have also affected his conditioning. Also, he broke his foot early in the season, according to Tallon, but continued to play (he missed some time in December, but I am not sure when the actually injury took place).

I will admit, I have been misled in the past by the potential of Panthers' forwards. But, no really guys, I have faith this time! I think he will have a better 14-15 (20G/50P). I just can't pass on the potential of this guy, even if that means he sucks again this year.

Nash - RNH - Semin
Huberdeau

Weber - Vlasic

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

gently caress it, before I do any more wavering, I will take Jonathan Huberdeau

uggghhhhhh, eat poo poo. he was my next pick.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
OK, I know there are 30 year old defencemen who are going to be better than this guy next year. There aren't going to be many defencemen in the NHL better than him within 5 years. Let's keep the Florida Panthers love going with Aaron Ekblad . There is no way I can pass this guy up.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Laderhan posted:

uggghhhhhh, eat poo poo. he was my next pick.

Hey, my next pick last time was going to be Marchand, so let's both eat each other's poo poo.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

Hey, my next pick last time was going to be Marchand, so let's both eat each other's poo poo.

Lol sure.

I actually have a back-up plan, but I'm fully expecting my next guy to get taken in the next few picks, so yeah.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Jamwad Hitler takes Jay Bowmaster. Way off the board he's over 30 and has played an NHL season. Terrible pick.

I have auto for the talent deficit too but on my phone it'll be a sec

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The talent deficit selects El Nino Niederetter (or however you spell it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jordan7hm posted:

Jamwad Hitler takes Jay Bowmaster. Way off the board he's over 30 and has played an NHL season. Terrible pick.

Yeah yeah, he who took Justin Schultz in the 4th round as his first defenceman last time around, and ended up with Visnovsky-Schultz, Stuart-Bogosian, Hejda-Weaver and Gryba.

Bouwmeester is a good pick. I still think it's funny that after deciding that he was getting older and wanted to taste playoff success, he more or less chose to join the Blues of all teams.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread