Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Post 9-11 User posted:

Dakkajets? That Games Workshop published rules for the Flyin' 'Eadbutt absolves them of many sins. That rule... loving incredible.

What are you on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

The Sisko posted:

That was what actually inspired me to do this. I'm thinking of aping the concept of one of Dave's campaigns. They also are what turned me onto the Death world table.

Oh cool, they're pretty much the only reason I subscribe to MWG. I'm not into the whole competitive aspect so I only really enjoy the progressive narrative stuff, it's tough to find people with a fully painted collection who will commit though. This guy on Dakka ran a couple of awesome campaigns, they're fun to read as well as providing a bit of inspiration for setting/gameplay.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Friendly Fire posted:

The Mig 15 is another good Dakkajet conversion base.

That's because the dakkajet is pretty much just a "looted" Mig 15 to begin with. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Would anyone in the UK/EU be able to hook me up with four Chimera dozer blades?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Hi, I just recently decided to give Warhammer 40K a second try, the first being some 15 years ago when I still a teen. I suppose a big factor was thanks to the advent of YouTube painting tutorials, and being an adult with spare money to burn I felt it was time to give it another try. Having been a huge fan of the Black Library and 40K fluff in general I decided to choose the Ultramarines as my army, which I actually un-ironically like despite the colossal amount of hate they seem to receive. On top of this Space Marines seemed a logical choice for someone who didn't really want to have to paint a million models, and my friends had chosen to go with Imperial Guard(astra militarum now?), Orks, and Dark Eldar respectively.

Here I am slightly over a month into this and I have completed 2 tactical squads, with a 3rd tactical and terminator squad on the way. On top of reading numerous strategy articles along with watching a good number of battlereps(from MWG and the like) I have been trying to come up with a decent army list to build towards. At this point I only plan on playing against my friends, however should their army building not keep pace with mine I will likely find myself at the local Games Workshop store running into vastly more experienced opponents. Ultimately, I've been wanting to make a more shooting focused army that still forces the opponent to react to my choices, and with that being said I'd been leaning heavy towards a drop pod force along with transports to rush forward and take objectives. I found a decent army list from the Imperator Tactica website that is as follows:

HQ
Marneus Calgar w/ armour of antilochus (Warlord)

Troops
Tactical Squad (10) w/ combi-plasma, plasma gun, rhino

Elites
Sternguard Veterans (8) w/ four combi-meltas, drop pod
Sternguard Veterans (7) w/ four combi-meltas, drop pod
Terminators (5) w/ assault cannon, two chainfists

Heavy Support
Thunderfire Cannon w/ drop pod
Thunderfire Cannon

Total = 1850

My friends and I had been wanting to run 2000 point forces at some point, and this list I felt really hit on what was looking for in terms of play style. That being said I could go with some suggestions on modifying it. I had been torn on whether or not to use Thunderfire Cannons, having no actual game experience I was curious if they are that superior to Whirlwinds. In the event of boosting this to a 2000 point force I had been considering swapping the Cannons for Whirlwinds, and tossing in a StormTalon and Predator Annihilator. Obviously I would be off the mark a few points, but I figured if I dropped out a veteran or tactical here or there it would allow me to meet he number.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Thunderfire Cannons are so much better than Whirlwinds it's not even funny. I really don't like Whirlwinds though. Honestly the worst part of your list is the Terminators. They're expensive, they don't do much, and they could be a Stormtalon or Stormraven instead.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

CyberLord XP posted:

What are you on about?

It's in the latest edition of the Apocalypse Rulebook, page 274 under Karnage Skwadron

quote:

Flyin' Eddbutt: If a Karnage Swadron moves over an enemy Super-heavy Walker or Gargantuan Creature in its Movement phase, then one or more of the Dakkajets that moved over it may perform a Flyin' Eddbutt. Remove the Dakkajets that are making Flyin' Eddbutts from play. Then, for each Dakkajet removed, place a large blast marker over the target and scatter it 2D6". Units touched by this blast marker take D3+1 Strength 10 AP2 hits unsing Random Allocation. ...

quote:

Ork Dakkajet pilots are notorious for their suicidal unpredictability, their wild flight paths making them extremely hard to target. It is the Orks' staggering inability to back down from a challenge, however, that makes their Karnage Swadrons especially dangerous. Every flyboy worth his goggles knows the drill - when faced with something that dakka just won't krump, get on a collision course and go full throttle. Many a Princeps's last sight has been a spinning Dakkajet diving gracelessly toward their Titan's bridge in a manoeuvre the flyboyz call, 'da flyin' eddbutt.'

It recalls the mind the fluff in, if memory serves, the 3rd Edition Codex from the heretic who said that the Orks are the only race in the galaxy that is truly happy.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I really should build some sternguards; I have the 5 old metal ones and two still on sprue plastic kits. Its hard to find the points for things with space marines :(

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey. I'm not doing too good. My health is failing, I've got growths on my liver and lungs, and I've got more autoimmune conditions than I've got fingers. To top it off, I got fired from my last job due to a 2 day stay in the hospital.

Life is poo poo. I'm at risk of losing a storage unit, the place I'm staying,and if not for Obamacare, what's left of my health.

I need money. Not a whole lot, just enough to get through this month, and maybe the next. I've got very temporary work coming, at least for a few days over the Labor Day weekend. Even then, that's probably not enough.

All that said, who here is interested in some 2nd edition Tyranids. I'm not selling them all. I've spent fifteen goddamn years building that army, the bulk of it literally making it through New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina. But I need the cash, and if I gotta part with a good chunk of it, so be it. I've got at least another fifteen years left, plenty of time to rebuild.

PM me. Or email, Kilo147@live.com

Kilo147 fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 3, 2014

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Everyday I find a new reason to love being an Ork player.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

panascope posted:

Thunderfire Cannons are so much better than Whirlwinds it's not even funny. I really don't like Whirlwinds though. Honestly the worst part of your list is the Terminators. They're expensive, they don't do much, and they could be a Stormtalon or Stormraven instead.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the whirlwind being a vehicle and cheaper made it more worth while. Everything I've read seems to confirm that terminators are overpriced. From what I gather the whole point of having Calgary in his special armor is to teleport homer the terminators right into combat. If this isn't worth it is even worth taking the armor? Is a Stormraven worth taking if I don't plan on transporting anything, or would I be better off doubling up on Stormtalons?

My concern was that if the stern guard fail to destroy their targets I wouldn't have much left to kill armor.

Another question. What are everyone's thoughts on Damned Legionaires?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Legionaries are a pretty decent drop in and burn unit from what I understand, I understand they can deepstrike ( I think reroll), fire 3 Melta Weapons, Meltagun, MultiMelta, Combimelta, and are relentless and ignore cover.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Hollismason posted:

The Legionaries are a pretty decent drop in and burn unit from what I understand, I understand they can deepstrike ( I think reroll), fire 3 Melta Weapons, Meltagun, MultiMelta, Combimelta, and are relentless and ignore cover.

Yeah, and you don't need a drop pod. I suppose I'm wondering why so many lists neglect them. While their melta capacity is less they seem much more likely to survive return fire, and ALL their attacks ignore cover, which I assume includes jinks. Withthis in mind should I take a unit in place of Sternguard, or is their inability to benefit from chapter tactics that big of a downside?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Uroboros posted:

Calgary in his special armor

Does it include a cowboy hat, a giant rodeo belt, a bunch of maple leaves, and some bizarrely out of place Confederate flags?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Uroboros posted:

Thanks, I wasn't sure if the whirlwind being a vehicle and cheaper made it more worth while. Everything I've read seems to confirm that terminators are overpriced. From what I gather the whole point of having Calgary in his special armor is to teleport homer the terminators right into combat. If this isn't worth it is even worth taking the armor? Is a Stormraven worth taking if I don't plan on transporting anything, or would I be better off doubling up on Stormtalons?

My concern was that if the stern guard fail to destroy their targets I wouldn't have much left to kill armor.

I wouldn't take Calgar in terminator armor unless I wanted him to run around with assault marines, and even then it'd only be if I wanted to pull in other deep striking units. He's already got a 2+ armor save, so what's the point?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't play Space Marines, so I've only played against Legion and I find them annoying and a nuisance, but Sternguard w/ their special rules are a even bigger one.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

panascope posted:

Having played against Thunderfire Cannons for the first time just now, let me say: gently caress Thunderfire Cannons. Against my sweet AV13 wall of Necron vehicles he just poo poo out a few of the dangerous terrain shots and immobilized 2 of my vehicles on the first turn. Catacomb Command Barges are sick as gently caress now. Being able to direct the easy or unlikely poo poo (S6-7 weaponry) against the CCB is rad and having a Phase Shifter on the Overlord to tank the dangerous poo poo (melta weapons) is really awesome.

Similarly, 3 AV13 transports with 3 AV 13 heavyweapon platforms and 1 AV13 redirectible tanking chariot plus one reserved flying transport in 1500 points is a little redonk.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

drgnvale posted:

I wouldn't take Calgar in terminator armor unless I wanted him to run around with assault marines, and even then it'd only be if I wanted to pull in other deep striking units. He's already got a 2+ armor save, so what's the point?

Exactly my point, he was saying terminators aren't worth it, which was the primary reason to bring the armor. If I ditch the terminators is there anything else that would be a suitable replacement, and can arrive in the thick of it? If not I can see why he suggested to just grab flyers and call it a day. Again my concern is if I'm dropping two groups of stern guards + Calgar to do some tank busting am I boning myself by not having terminators on standby to finish any armor they can't handle? Not to mention if I'm dropping those stern guard close to his guys to get the melta bonus I can assume I'm just asking to be assaulted. If Calgar isn't going in a drop pod with the stern guard to teleport in more reinforcements, is he worth putting in there to begin with?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Painted this test model for my Chaos Kill Team today. Kinda went overboard on technical paints. It's a little brighter in person.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

7thBatallion posted:

Hey. I'm not doing too good. My health is failing, I've got growths on my liver and lungs, and I've got more autoimmune conditions than I've got fingers. To top it off, I got fired from my last job due to a 2 day stay in the hospital.

Life is poo poo. I'm at risk of losing a storage unit, the place I'm staying,and if not for Obamacare, what's left of my health.

I need money. Not a whole lot, just enough to get through this month, and maybe the next. I've got very temporary work coming, at least for a few days over the Labor Day weekend. Even then, that's probably not enough.

All that said, who here is interested in some 2nd edition Tyranids. I'm not selling them all. I've spent fifteen goddamn years building that army, the bulk of it literally making it through New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina. But I need the cash, and if I gotta part with a good chunk of it, so be it. I've got at least another fifteen years left, plenty of time to rebuild.

PM me. Or email, Kilo147@live.com

gently caress that, I want to blow my brains out but instead I'll send you a check that isn't rubber. Thank Zardoz for tax returns. Sending an email now.

Edit: Email sent, mah nigga.

CyberLord XP posted:

Everyday I find a new reason to love being an Ork player.

:orks: is :h:, :orks: is life. Orks have among the most unpretentious and enjoyable fluff in the game yet I have no desire to make an army of them.

I started an all-Nurgle army for the same reason: I didn't give a poo poo how the army played I was just floored by the newer fluff about Nurgle and especially Ku'Gath.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 3, 2014

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Exactly my point, he was saying terminators aren't worth it, which was the primary reason to bring the armor. If I ditch the terminators is there anything else that would be a suitable replacement, and can arrive in the thick of it? If not I can see why he suggested to just grab flyers and call it a day. Again my concern is if I'm dropping two groups of stern guards + Calgar to do some tank busting am I boning myself by not having terminators on standby to finish any armor they can't handle? Not to mention if I'm dropping those stern guard close to his guys to get the melta bonus I can assume I'm just asking to be assaulted. If Calgar isn't going in a drop pod with the stern guard to teleport in more reinforcements, is he worth putting in there to begin with?

The short answer is going to be "probably not". Calgar really needs an honor guard to work well. Throwing him in an already expensive unit that just becomes soak wounds for him means you're out 400 points by turn 2 and you've likely not done enough damage with them to make it worthwhile.

Limit yourself to 1 unit of sternguard, get a unit of bikes, which can take 2 meltaguns, possibly with an attack bike as well. Don't deep strike the thunderfire cannon. Start with both on the board. Use the techmarines to bolster ruins you're going to use for shooting cover or holding objectives.

You need something with a bit of punch to deal with high AV units, las predator or dread in a pod. Also get some anti air, preferably a stormtalon and something like an aegis. If you need to shed a few points drop one of the tac squads down to a scout squad with cloaks and bolters or shotguns, have them sit in a ruins holding an objective or use them to tie up a fast moving opponent so your bikes/sternguard can do work on high value targets.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Storm Talon is pretty awesome, I'd get one of those.

What's Marneus do again anyway?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Storm Talon is pretty awesome, I'd get one of those.

What's Marneus do again anyway?

Chapter master with two power fists that have a shooting profile as well. He's gimmicky and expensive.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I remember him doing something special for the army but I can't remember what. Something to do with their drills that the Ultramarines have.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Hollismason posted:

I remember him doing something special for the army but I can't remember what. Something to do with their drills that the Ultramarines have.

His army can do a drill a second time, and units within 12" can choose to pass or fail morale checks.

Edit: there is no 12" limitation; see AbusePuppy's post below.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 3, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Creepy Goat posted:

Oh cool, they're pretty much the only reason I subscribe to MWG. I'm not into the whole competitive aspect so I only really enjoy the progressive narrative stuff, it's tough to find people with a fully painted collection who will commit though. This guy on Dakka ran a couple of awesome campaigns, they're fun to read as well as providing a bit of inspiration for setting/gameplay.

Thank you so much for this. This has definitely helped figure out the narrative to the campaign.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

As Im sitting here clipping up models off sprues I'm wondering what the max unit size for Ork helicopters is now. Do they still have an option for a buzz saw?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm finally getting around to building my stormraven (I bought this around the time the flyer expansion came out since the rumor was vanilla marines would be able to use it). I had originally planned to magnetize the turret so I could swap between the lascannon and assault cannon, but now it feels like it'll be too much effort.

Help me decide between the lascannon and the other options please. I had assumed I'd always take the lascannons because then I could put out some long range hurt on other flyers while letting my stormtalon(s) deal with shooting things in the back with an assault cannon. But maybe the lascannons aren't the best choice. For what it's worth, none of the people I play regularly use many flyers or AV13 tanks, but I assume my space wolves opponent will run at least two of the new transport/gunship.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I hate to say this but you should go through the effort of magnetizing it as their both equally good choices.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

drgnvale posted:

I'm finally getting around to building my stormraven (I bought this around the time the flyer expansion came out since the rumor was vanilla marines would be able to use it). I had originally planned to magnetize the turret so I could swap between the lascannon and assault cannon, but now it feels like it'll be too much effort.

Help me decide between the lascannon and the other options please. I had assumed I'd always take the lascannons because then I could put out some long range hurt on other flyers while letting my stormtalon(s) deal with shooting things in the back with an assault cannon. But maybe the lascannons aren't the best choice. For what it's worth, none of the people I play regularly use many flyers or AV13 tanks, but I assume my space wolves opponent will run at least two of the new transport/gunship.

Just magnetize the turret.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Pacheeco posted:

Just magnetize the turret.

Yeah; I thought it'd be easier to magnetize and keep the rod in place, but I don't have the right size magnets for that. I'll probably just do something similar to what you have (assuming you also have the shrouds done, because I'm keeping those shrouds).

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

drgnvale posted:

Yeah; I thought it'd be easier to magnetize and keep the rod in place, but I don't have the right size magnets for that. I'll probably just do something similar to what you have (assuming you also have the shrouds done, because I'm keeping those shrouds).

The shrouds? All you have to do is cut the square pegs off and glue the rod into place within the turret. 1/8th inch magnets (those are 1/8th x 1/16th) have a strong enough hold to stop the guns from automatically drooping downward.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 3, 2014

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

The Sisko posted:

So I'm thinking of throwing together a campaign for me and my little brother to play out. It will be my first campaign and it will be CSM versus Space Marines. To that end I have bought the altar of war missions for both CSM and SM, kill team, and I found a PDF of the death world rules. From these I'll probably pick the missions that will suit the narrative I eventually come up with. Are there any other resources I could use to help build missions?

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3512

You can also look here at the campaign I ran for my group (it ended up failing because too many of the player that play the most were on one side). But the concepts and such are all solid.

http://epicempires.com/campaign/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=aff7103c93622c3340807a4353dc7f04

I would also highly recommend the campaign system in the Imperial Armour 12: The Fall of Orpheus (though it is the system the campaign above is based on)

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ghost Hand posted:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3512

You can also look here at the campaign I ran for my group (it ended up failing because too many of the player that play the most were on one side). But the concepts and such are all solid.

http://epicempires.com/campaign/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=aff7103c93622c3340807a4353dc7f04

I would also highly recommend the campaign system in the Imperial Armour 12: The Fall of Orpheus (though it is the system the campaign above is based on)

Thanks a lot. I had just downloaded your latest episode on campaigns and it to is helping and I'll be sure to check out these as well as Fall of Orpheus.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
GW: Chiswick is saying they have the Space Wolf codex available? Did this sneak up on us??

E: (From FB): Good Morning Campers, Its your friendly neighborhood Billy here giving you the low down on whats happening today. First of all today is your last chance to order some of these absolute howlers of new Space Wolf goodies including the Triple Threat Dreadnought Kit which features not one but two special characters, Amazeballs!!!
Alsoooo we have the new Space Wolf Codex available including the Limited Long Fang Edition and Space Wolf Datacards.
Last but not least we have one Stormclaw, you heard right just one remaining in-store before they are as extinct as the Dodo!!
So Bust-A-Groove down to the store today pick up yourself some of these badass items and earn yourself some of those all important Hobby Reward tokens!!!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Billy sometimes formats stuff weirdly, I think its still linked to the "pre-order" bit. He gets stuff in advance, but not that early.

E:

If it's on shelves, he almost always posts a photo of it in the actual store.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Uroboros posted:

Calgar does basically three things: he gives you the extra Doctrine use/warlord traits as a general army utility thing; he lets your whole army (not just units within 12", as someone else said) choose whether they pass or fail morale checks; and he unlocks multiple Honor Guard while being a bit of a beatstick himself. Like a lot of the characters like him, if you want to use him effectively, you really need to be taking good advantage of at least two of those abilities, otherwise it's hard to really justify his cost. The Teleport Homer he carries is definitely a plus, but I wouldn't focus on it overmuch- other characters can get it as well, so it's really not particularly unique to him.

Calgar costs a lot. Too much, realistically, but being that he is pretty super cool it's sometimes worth trying to make him fit into a list. However, doing that means taking advantage of his unique abilities, which can be a bit tough.

Stormtalons are generally better AA units than Stormravens- the Stormraven has the advantage of being tougher and able to deliver a Troop squad to somewhere late in the game, but point-for-point the Stormtalon will almost always outshoot it. The fact that the Stormtalon's turret rotates all the way around is extremely hand, as it allows you to fly over enemy aircraft and shoot them in their weaker rear armor. Skyhammer Missiles are the preferred loadout, although others aren't horrible. The formation (2 Skytalon + 1 Stormraven, they all have Strafing Run) can also be handy in larger games where you can afford to sink some points into units that aren't starting on the board.

You might consider adding some heavy weapons, in particular Lascannons, to your Tactical squads in order to give you a bit more anti-tank punch. You are a little shy there, although not horribly so; shoring it up wouldn't be bad. Combat Squads is really great for Tacticals, because it lets you station half the unit in the backfield to shoot with or cram both halves into the tank and still ride together while shooting at different targets.

Legion of the Damned are actually a reasonably solid unit these days- they're fairly tough, Ignores Cover is a fantastic rule, they're no slouches in close combat, and they have Relentless heavy weapons that Deep Strike in anywhere you need them. You could easily incorporate 1-2 squads of them, although like Sternguard they can get expensive quick; also remember that, since they start in reserve, they can put you at a firepower disadvantage to start off with.

LingcodKilla posted:

As Im sitting here clipping up models off sprues I'm wondering what the max unit size for Ork helicopters is now. Do they still have an option for a buzz saw?

Do you mean Deffkoptas or Warkoptas? Deffkoptas are still 1-5 I'm pretty sure and can get the Power Klaw option. Warkoptas as far as I know haven't been updated for 7th at all.

drgnvale posted:

The Assault Cannon and Lascannon are actually pretty close in terms of overall performance against most targets; you could reasonably go with either one of them and be fairly okay. The Lascannon has the advantage of longer range and AP2, so its hits are a little more telling when they go through and with PotMS you can aim it at a more distant target while your shorter-range guns pummel something else. On the other hand, the Assault Cannon has more shots (and thus better reliability) and is better at bringing down light (AV10-11) and heavy (AV13+) targets in many cases due to the changes in the damage table and HP. It also has better utility against infantry targets and whatnot, which can be very valuable if you went with the Hurricane Bolter upgrade.

I think the AC is a bit better at the end of the day, but as I said it's not a huge difference.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

max unit size is 5, but I played a guy who took two CAD and had 6 as solo units. that was super effective cause they're fast, can grab maelstrom objectives and take potshots at side armour and having to waste a whole units shooting to only get rid of one is super annoying.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

AbusePuppy posted:

Calgar does basically three things: he gives you the extra Doctrine use/warlord traits as a general army utility thing; he lets your whole army (not just units within 12", as someone else said) choose whether they pass or fail morale checks; and he unlocks multiple Honor Guard while being a bit of a beatstick himself. Like a lot of the characters like him, if you want to use him effectively, you really need to be taking good advantage of at least two of those abilities, otherwise it's hard to really justify his cost. The Teleport Homer he carries is definitely a plus, but I wouldn't focus on it overmuch- other characters can get it as well, so it's really not particularly unique to him.

Calgar costs a lot. Too much, realistically, but being that he is pretty super cool it's sometimes worth trying to make him fit into a list. However, doing that means taking advantage of his unique abilities, which can be a bit tough.

Stormtalons are generally better AA units than Stormravens- the Stormraven has the advantage of being tougher and able to deliver a Troop squad to somewhere late in the game, but point-for-point the Stormtalon will almost always outshoot it. The fact that the Stormtalon's turret rotates all the way around is extremely hand, as it allows you to fly over enemy aircraft and shoot them in their weaker rear armor. Skyhammer Missiles are the preferred loadout, although others aren't horrible. The formation (2 Skytalon + 1 Stormraven, they all have Strafing Run) can also be handy in larger games where you can afford to sink some points into units that aren't starting on the board.

You might consider adding some heavy weapons, in particular Lascannons, to your Tactical squads in order to give you a bit more anti-tank punch. You are a little shy there, although not horribly so; shoring it up wouldn't be bad. Combat Squads is really great for Tacticals, because it lets you station half the unit in the backfield to shoot with or cram both halves into the tank and still ride together while shooting at different targets.

Legion of the Damned are actually a reasonably solid unit these days- they're fairly tough, Ignores Cover is a fantastic rule, they're no slouches in close combat, and they have Relentless heavy weapons that Deep Strike in anywhere you need them. You could easily incorporate 1-2 squads of them, although like Sternguard they can get expensive quick; also remember that, since they start in reserve, they can put you at a firepower disadvantage to start off with.

First off someone mentioned not deep striking the Thunderfire, from the army build read I was under the impression that the 3rd drop pod was meant to come empty because having that 3rd pod guarantees that the others can come in first turn, or something along those lines. To be honest I am still hazy on those rules, so it might be something that was valid in the previous edition. Either way, I haven't begun to invest money in such things, so it isn't like I don't have time to refine my choices.

Calgar actually wasn't my HQ choice until I saw this list. I had originally wanted to build an army around the Ultramarines chief librarian. That being said I assume for this army list the reason sternguards are included over damned legionnaires is because they can benefit from the chapter doctrine while the later can't, which when you are running with Calgar I assume is a big deal.

Is it really worth adding heavy weapons into my tactical squads in order to split them up? It seems like if I chuck a Lascannon into a tactical squad I'll just have 4 marines sitting in the rear field doing nothing but baby sitting this one lascannon. I see your point for needing more anti-armor, but would I just be better off using my last heavy support slot for devastators or a tri-las predator. I do appreciate the advice so far, all my reasoning is pretty much based on how I understand the game as opposed to actually having played, so I am sure certain things will become more clear to me once I get some under my belt. Also, when it comes to buying Lascannons to equip my tacticals I assume I have to buy devastator packs, and that these will only come with a single lascannon. Is there a more effective way to do this without burning money unnecessarily?

Assuming I stick with Calgar and replace those terminators with honor guard(which might be a while since I already own a 5 man terminator squad, because a friend had them built and unpainted, and was willing to part with them for 5 bucks) would the best plan be to simply stick them all in that third drop pod was sitting empty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Uroboros posted:

Is it really worth adding heavy weapons into my tactical squads in order to split them up? It seems like if I chuck a Lascannon into a tactical squad I'll just have 4 marines sitting in the rear field doing nothing but baby sitting this one lascannon. I see your point for needing more anti-armor, but would I just be better off using my last heavy support slot for devastators or a tri-las predator. I do appreciate the advice so far, all my reasoning is pretty much based on how I understand the game as opposed to actually having played, so I am sure certain things will become more clear to me once I get some under my belt. Also, when it comes to buying Lascannons to equip my tacticals I assume I have to buy devastator packs, and that these will only come with a single lascannon. Is there a more effective way to do this without burning money unnecessarily?

Splitting Tacticals is useful because it provides you additional back-end objective campers and long-range fire without really reducing the overall damage output of your front-line unit carrying the Special Weapon and Sergeant. Whatever you're going to be dealing with really won't care too much about 5-10 more Boltgun rounds, but will likely care about incoming anti-tank fire from 50+" away. If you field enough Tactical squads you can pretty reliably disable enemy vehicles without going whole-hog into anti-tank vehicles yourself.

• Locked thread