Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The ALCS that year was so epic. For the actual World Series to be a boring sweep was a drat shame.

One more reason to hate the Cards v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
The problem with a strict punishment to a pitcher/manager that deliberately beans someone is that the punishment can be misguided. You'd have an accidental beanball to Goldschmidt one game, then Gibson would call up some scrub pitcher from AAA to come in to pitch to McCutchen the following game, bean him, and get suspended for 30 games.

Gibson would get suspended for 10-15 games/fined a bunch of money and the Diamondbacks would actually win more games than when he was managing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that these 'old school' baseball dudes would just find a way to make the suspensions meaningless, no one is dumb enough to have someone like Kershaw go out and bean someone one purpose if there's gonna be a heavy punishment, they'll just bring in some scrub reliever to do the dirty work and pat him on the back as he gets thrown out of the game.

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Thats also another bad thing that 2004 nlcs was loving amazing too, but you never hear about it. Those astros teams in 04 and 05 were really good. All you hear about from that era is the Pujols homer off of Lidge in the 05 nlcs where they beat the cards pretty badly.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
i don't think he has that taste in his mouth

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
All I know is that the 2004 World Series was Larry Walker's best shot at a World Series ring and anything that helps Larry Walker's HOF case is a good thing.

That said, Pedro got his only ring from 2004 so that was an even better thing.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The 2005 postseason owned and it's a shame so few people remember

Anyways, this is just a reminder that the MLB Mid-Season Sheep Game is open for entries and closes tomorrow night. Be there or be square! Or be out having fun, idk.

e: I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when El Duque came on with the bases loaded and no outs against the Red Sox, someone post that awesome photo montage of him doing it

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 5, 2014

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Scob posted:

Thats also another bad thing that 2004 nlcs was loving amazing too, but you never hear about it. Those astros teams in 04 and 05 were really good. All you hear about from that era is the Pujols homer off of Lidge in the 05 nlcs where they beat the cards pretty badly.

That Pujols bomb was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen live. I haven't heard a stadium stunned into silence like that since.

e: I mean watching it on TV live

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 5, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How is anyone seriously saying the 2006 Cardinals were the favorites vs. the 2006 Tigers?

The 2006 Cardinals rotation seriously consisted of Chris Carpenter and 3 guys who sucked poo poo: Anthony Reyes, Jeff Suppan, and Jeff Weaver. Somehow Jason Marquis was so bad he couldn't crack that group and was left off the postseason roster.

Scott Rolen was playing injured and Preston Wilson and Ronnie Belliard had prominent roles on the team.

The whole reason the Cards won that year is because a short series is random and weird as poo poo. If they played that series for 162 games, the Tigers probably win like 90 of 'em.

The only thing about 2004 that bothers me is that the NLCS got overlooked due to the Sox comeback. The NLCS had walk-off home runs in back-to-back games. It had Carlos Beltran starting his legend of being ludicrously good in the postseason for teams that just don't quite make it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marlins just DFA'd Jacob Turner, since he was out of options. Dombrowski totally fooled them again on another pitching prospect it seems.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Turner had a ton of shine off him by the time that trade happened. I'm sure like the Rays or Giants will claim him

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
It is hard to believe that, in the mid 'aughts, the Astros were the team to beat in the NL Central. Well, the team to beat that wasn't named the Cardinals, I guess. The 2004 NLCS was a great series, but yeah, you never hear about it because the Yankees and Red Sox were playing, and OMG Yankees and Red Sox! Holy cow, those two teams are playing each other? Quick, everybody in the baseball media--stop what you're doing, the Yankees are playing the Red Sox in a baseball game for the first time ever! (To be fair, though, that time, it was a genuinely better story, because you just don't see a team win the first three games and then manage to lose the next four to cough up the series.)

I personally remember watching my team through seven fall classics. And, of all the four losses, the 2004 one bugs me the least. And I honestly think that at the time, I just really didn't mind if the Red Sox won, because it'd been so long since they had. I think any other AL team beating the Cardinals that year would have bothered me, though.

As far as large punishments for beaning batters: yeah, a manager might try to pull shenanigans like bringing up a scrub just to let the heavy suspension fall to a player nobody is going to miss. But, I bet the player's union would demand that he be paid the league minimum (at least) during that suspension. And besides that, the league could simply go after the team and manager with punishments that the front office wouldn't want to deal with. Heck, they could even write that exact scenario into the rule, and attach a ridiculous penalty to it. It's not like the NHL doesn't have a minor league system full of players who they could call up just to gently caress someone up and take the brunt of the punishment from the league. It doesn't happen, though, because it's an awful lot of work to go through just to make a tough-guy point.

At the end of the day, though, there are two major problems with trying to get rid of this aspect of the game. First, of course, is proving intent, because it's only easy to determine some of the time. But also, let's face it, it's something that adds a touch of excitement to the sport. Whenever this happens, people tune in. Folks are more likely to catch the next few games between those teams to see if the simmering leads to an explosion of some kind. It intrigues people who might otherwise totally ignore a given contest. It makes people click on links, watch videos, and drive up ad revenue. I mean, we're talking about it, and it's not like this guy was the first one to ever be hit intentionally. Probably wasn't the first one this week. I can't help but think that the league won't try to excise this from the game because of this.

MaximumBob
Jan 15, 2006

You're moving who to the bullpen?

FairGame posted:

How is anyone seriously saying the 2006 Cardinals were the favorites vs. the 2006 Tigers?

The 2006 Cardinals rotation seriously consisted of Chris Carpenter and 3 guys who sucked poo poo: Anthony Reyes, Jeff Suppan, and Jeff Weaver. Somehow Jason Marquis was so bad he couldn't crack that group and was left off the postseason roster.

Scott Rolen was playing injured and Preston Wilson and Ronnie Belliard had prominent roles on the team.

The whole reason the Cards won that year is because a short series is random and weird as poo poo. If they played that series for 162 games, the Tigers probably win like 90 of 'em.

The only thing about 2004 that bothers me is that the NLCS got overlooked due to the Sox comeback. The NLCS had walk-off home runs in back-to-back games. It had Carlos Beltran starting his legend of being ludicrously good in the postseason for teams that just don't quite make it.

Yeah, some Detroit media outlet of blog's prediction of the series was Tigers in 3. One of my Togers fans friends just had a slow meltdown into depression during the whole affair.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Groucho Marxist posted:

Turner had a ton of shine off him by the time that trade happened. I'm sure like the Rays or Giants will claim him

His peripheral numbers are not terrible (although I think they're in decline?). If it's a situation where his pitches are just bad, then that totally explains his ERA but I have no idea why an organization wouldn't take a chance on him. Is Flynn likely taking his spot in the rotation? I don't get this for a team who's 5 1/2 games out of the 2nd WC spot unless there's a trade they want to involve him in.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

I haven't really watched him this year, but before he really couldn't get anything about his secondary pitches and while his fastball was really good, it just isn't good enough to be one of those guys who throw them 75% of the time

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Xenophon posted:

e: I can still remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when El Duque came on with the bases loaded and no outs against the Red Sox, someone post that awesome photo montage of him doing it

Has it ever been online? I keep thinking I would buy a print of it but I can never find it :gonk:

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MaximumBob posted:

Yeah, some Detroit media outlet of blog's prediction of the series was Tigers in 3. One of my Togers fans friends just had a slow meltdown into depression during the whole affair.

That was actually USA Today:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2006-10-20-tigers-scouting-report_x.htm

"The Detroit Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face."

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

OctoberBlues posted:

That was actually USA Today:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/playoffs/2006-10-20-tigers-scouting-report_x.htm

"The Detroit Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face."

I hate you guys for reminding me of this poo poo every year (and I hate those assholes for saying it)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

tarlibone posted:

At the end of the day, though, there are two major problems with trying to get rid of this aspect of the game. First, of course, is proving intent, because it's only easy to determine some of the time. But also, let's face it, it's something that adds a touch of excitement to the sport. Whenever this happens, people tune in. Folks are more likely to catch the next few games between those teams to see if the simmering leads to an explosion of some kind. It intrigues people who might otherwise totally ignore a given contest. It makes people click on links, watch videos, and drive up ad revenue. I mean, we're talking about it, and it's not like this guy was the first one to ever be hit intentionally. Probably wasn't the first one this week. I can't help but think that the league won't try to excise this from the game because of this.

I would hate to have baseball become a sport where you watch to see if someone gets hurt. Also it happens way too infrequently for people to actually watch a game hoping someone will get beaned (unless of course they watch the Dbacks). Honestly, as long as owners look the other way when they have to pay injured players not to play then it probably won't get fixed. But I do wonder how long that will last....one would think the Pirates owner is not overjoyed to pay McCutcheon big bucks while he's not even playing because of getting hit. And while I don't know exactly how much the Dodgers paid Grienke while he was recovering from his collarbone injury, but since he's one of the highest paid pitchers in the league, it wasn't a few dollars and a cup of coffee.

And it takes away from the game, the awesome game baseball is. Who knows, they finally brought in replay, maybe they'll reconsider what to do about the players injured by hits and other player to player violence.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RIP Sports on Earth (mostly)? I liked reading Emma Span and that guy who trolls people on MLB Network.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Groucho Marxist posted:

Sounds like the perfect Chris Bosio reclamation project, hopefully someone passes Jake Arietta his cell number for a recruiting call.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sports on Earth died as soon as someone decided it was a good idea to name it Sports on Earth

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sports on Earth died as soon as someone decided it was a good idea to name it Sports on Earth

The dude they were building the site around deciding to bounce after like a month probably didn't help much either. That sucks though. I didn't like some aspects of the site (mostly the NBA and college sports stuff) but in general it was good. Sorry crion! :(

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 5, 2014

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

With the feds investigating Biogenesis, some previously unnamed players have been found, so expect a repeat of that dumb circus soon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groucho Marxist posted:

With the feds investigating Biogenesis, some previously unnamed players have been found, so expect a repeat of that dumb circus soon.
I blame Selig.

Also the Tigers signed Jim Johnson, which is odd since the Marlins wanted him but passed this time?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Preemptive RIP to Manny Machado.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

I blame Selig.

Also the Tigers signed Jim Johnson, which is odd since the Marlins wanted him but passed this time?

"Hmmmm, I wonder if there's any way that I could possibly make the bullpen shittier?"

I realize it's probably some minor league nonsense, but still.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Groucho Marxist posted:

ESPN was on at the place I was eating lunch today. You'd think Tony Bosch killed a dozen people the way they were covering it today.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Reports coming in that McCutchen has a fractured rib, not an oblique strain.

HMMMMMMM

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FairGame posted:

The Tigers pitching staff committed five errors in that series. Most of them throwing the ball away on bunts. It was a magical display of choking, only to be challenged by striking out to Barry Zito in Game 1 of the 2012 series.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ALFbrot posted:

HMMMMMMM

Better recovery for him, but I am assuming this makes it obvious that it was from the HBP...which is really lovely.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ALFbrot posted:

HMMMMMMM

Baseball fans should be apoplectic that the entire Diamondbacks organization condones this poo poo, and that MLB does nothing to prevent it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FairGame posted:

Baseball fans should be apoplectic that the entire Diamondbacks organization condones this poo poo, and that MLB does nothing to prevent it.

This is loving horrible. I can't believe the league did nothing about Delgado's obvious beanball because Gibson has a history of doing this poo poo.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

ALFbrot posted:

HMMMMMMM

As a friend of mine put it: "He would not be injured if Frieri was a competent pitcher."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I hope every player gets 162 games and A-Rod is the only one who can play next season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FairGame posted:

The worst part is that it's a problem with the entire organization. They threaten to kick fans out of the stadium if you sit on camera wearing gear of the visiting team, they trade their "lazy" players for guys that "play the right way" and "hustle," and they maliciously attack players on the field for any perceived slight against them.

The whole organization is just broken.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Tender Bender posted:

I hope every player gets 162 games and A-Rod is the only one who can play next season.

A-Rod vs The Pitching Machine round 113. :getin:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

The worst part is that it's a problem with the entire organization. They threaten to kick fans out of the stadium if you sit on camera wearing gear of the visiting team, they trade their "lazy" players for guys that "play the right way" and "hustle," and they maliciously attack players on the field for any perceived slight against them.

And by hiring Tony LaRussa they've doubled down on the beanball poo poo.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Rand alPaul posted:

The Tigers pitching staff committed five errors in that series. Most of them throwing the ball away on bunts. It was a magical display of choking, only to be challenged by striking out to Barry Zito in Game 1 of the 2012 series.

Brandon Inge committed three errors, then got rung up for the last out of the series by no-name Cardinals reliever Adam Wainwright.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
yeah, Ken Kendrick (D-Backs owner) is a lover of gritty dirt dog stuff and thinks baseball was best when players are actively trying to hurt other players, so this stuff probably doesn't go away unless the league steps in.

I know Selig is hands off on this sort of stuff, but it does kinda hurt the league when their best stars are being thrown at. I can't think of a team this hurts more than the Pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm not stating anything new here but my biggest issue is that, yeah, it sucks that Goldschmidt is probably out for the year but the Diamondbacks are going nowhere. Also, by all accounts, the Frieri pitch was just a bad throw (not surprising) and Goldschmidt was trying to check his swing.

And yet the Pirates are fighting for a playoff spot and are now without their best player because it's deemed "just part of the game". Hey how about we change the rules so we don't have terrible teams throwing at star players?

Edit: also the previously mentioned posts about Arizona having a history of this.

• Locked thread