Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
Seriously, Alastair Reynolds is great - even awesome - if you just accept expecting lovely endings for every single one of his stories.

He has never ended a story in any conceivably decent way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Actual good books:

The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin

also Isle of the Dead by Roger Zelazny (do not read his Amber books they are bad)

Also the other stuff mentioned above -- Canticle for Liebowitz, Stars My Destination, Neuromancer, etc.

If you want freaky weird awkward sex scenes:

quote:

Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.

Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.

An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.

All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".

There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.

The naming of the different modes of reproduction is arbitrary but follows a logical scheme. Aeolian modes have all female participants, and one female is both "foremother" and "forefather". Lydian modes consist of one female and up to three males. Mixolydian modes have two females, and one or two males. Phrygian modes, of which there is only one, have three females and one male. Various prefixes and modifiers are used as well. If the foremother in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode produces the egg using her own ventral sperm, the prefix hypo- is applied. If the hindmother is also the hindfather in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode, the prefix locri- is applied. The unmodified mode name is used when the foremother is also the hindmother. When another participant is the hindmother, the modifier Sharped is applied. More complex combinations have modifiers like Double Sharped and Double Flatted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanide_(Gaea_trilogy)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 7, 2014

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

by john varley author of "overdrawn at the memory bank" ;)

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can anyone recommend some good military scifi other than like forever war/ forever peacr/ old mans war poo poo by scalzi

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

glove of darth vader.

:getin:

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
lomokome papers obvs

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
:cheeky:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

marrow by robert reed has weird sex, check it out op

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
only things by gays non whites or womens ie Olivia Butler Ursula K Le Guin Samuel R Delany bonus points for checking more than one box

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Can anyone recommend some good military scifi other than like forever war/ forever peacr/ old mans war poo poo by scalzi

Black Company is the only other really good sci fi/fantasy war book I know.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

avoid peter f Hamilton unless you really like genetically enhanced children with adult bodies loving

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

nomadologique posted:

Read dat poo poo was great. Highly recommended

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really didn't enjoy the first two culture novels, do they get better

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

probably not, though use of weapons does some fun narrative tricks

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Just casting another ballot for the Void trilogy by Peter F Hamilton. It is technically in the same universe as Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained but it can be read as an independent trilogy.

The best is if you can get your hands on the audiobooks narrated by John Lee. I actually looked forward to my daily commutes when I was listening to these.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
Philip K. Dick's short story The Faith of our Fathers is awesome btw

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Technocrat posted:

Old Man's War, it's got geriatric super-soldier plant-people sex.

It's also pretty good if you liked the Forever War.

Old Man's War has my two favorite moments in a sci-fi novel. When they're eavesdropping in on alien broadcasts and it turns out they're watching the ET equivalent of Julia Child. The other is when they invade a planet of Lilliputians like aliens and proceed to Godzilla their way through a major city until the main character has a nervous breakdown because Jesus Christ this is so hosed.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Old Man's War has my two favorite moments in a sci-fi novel. When they're eavesdropping in on alien broadcasts and it turns out they're watching the ET equivalent of Julia Child. The other is when they invade a planet of Lilliputians like aliens and proceed to Godzilla their way through a major city until the main character has a nervous breakdown because Jesus Christ this is so hosed.

I liked when they were invading some ape furry planet or something and these aliens fell back to like a central bowl thing and started to sing, and one of the main characters squadmates was a senator or some type of politican when he was young, he was a bit of a rear end in a top hat too. Hes like they are singing they are trying to surrender to save their people and he just runs into the aliens stadium thing that he describes as a church and is all like "My name is Senator X im Here to negotiate lets save your people" and than he gets shot full of scifi weapon.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fandyien posted:

Forever War is one of the best sci fi novels ever written

this and slightly less for cities in flight it's been a while since I read it.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
Old Man's War is one of those funny (not very uncommon) novels where, apparently, only Americans exist in space.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

nomadologique posted:

Warning, only read the first trilogy. The series goes progressively bad after that.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tumblr.. in space!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

I assume you mean Consider Phlebas and Player of Games. If so read Look to Windward, if you don't like it The Culture is not for you.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
old man's war was a more shallow, more entertaining starship troopers it was good.

hyperion was good.

Spacely
Mar 21, 2007
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Gateway by Fred Pohl.

It's a great read. I'm really not a huge fan of any of his other books, but he really hit the spot with Gateway. It won the Hugo in 1978, so it's likely this isn't just a product of my own feverish tastes in lit.

I'd also like to put in another vote for VALIS by Phillip K. Dick. I don't really consider it sci-fi, but it would count as speculative fiction. It really transmits the crazy-that-is-PKD in a fantastic way, since it's a fictionalized autobiography,and has all sorts of neat bits about gnostic ideology in it which is interesting in itself.

BodineWilson
Dec 21, 2009

Waroduce posted:

If you liked that, you'll like Starship Troopers by Heinlein. It's not all that much like the movie, so don't think it's ruined it for you or anything.
I'm not a huge fan of his other stuff, since it gets progressively weirder as he ages, but I really enjoyed that book. Tons of the ideas in forever war are 'borrowed' pretty much rote from Starship Troopers.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Old Man's War is one of those funny (not very uncommon) novels where, apparently, only Americans exist in space.
Pretty sure I remember an American flag on the moon.

If space if good enough for Jesus it's good enough for USA.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Talas posted:

Warning, only read the first trilogy. The series goes progressively bad after that.

oh yeah it gets really rad bad, holy moly

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

BodineWilson posted:

I'd also like to put in another vote for VALIS by Phillip K. Dick. I don't really consider it sci-fi, but it would count as speculative fiction. It really transmits the crazy-that-is-PKD in a fantastic way, since it's a fictionalized autobiography,and has all sorts of neat bits about gnostic ideology in it which is interesting in itself.

i actually "recommend" the VALIS trilogy to people not as a form of fiction or scifi but as a direct experience of progressive psychosis, which is something that's hard to find.

i love three stigmata.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Omi-Polari posted:

Pretty sure I remember an American flag on the moon.

If space if good enough for Jesus it's good enough for USA.

there were non americans, in fact the only characters whose nationality was actually mentioned at all were not americans. the rest just...spoke english?

haha holy poo poo

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/08/05/syfy-old-mans-war/

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."
Does Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon) Count as Sci-fi? Because sex stuff doesn't get much weirder. It got rejected from getting a Pulitzer because some of the committee thought it was too perverse.

For other books, I was a big fan of "Counting Heads" by David Marusek, but the sequel didn't do much for me. I haven't read much sci-fi recently but I am going to look at some of the suggestions here.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Stoic Commie posted:

there were non americans, in fact the only characters whose nationality was actually mentioned at all were not americans. the rest just...spoke english?

This may be going into spoiler territory but aside from some poor generic browns in the beginning and a single named South American character I'm drawing blanks

All other characters read (to me at least) as obviously and quintessentially American

Granted, it was a while since I read it

e: I'm not saying it's bad thing. Just something I noticed. Maybe in the future American cultural hegemony is actually a thing and everybody wears blue jeans, chews copenhagen and is named some variation of Bob-Billy-Bob Brown poo poo man idk

Cake Smashing Boob fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 8, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BodineWilson posted:

nomadologique posted:

i actually "recommend" the VALIS trilogy to people not as a form of fiction or scifi but as a direct experience of progressive psychosis, which is something that's hard to find.

i love three stigmata.
Yeah, I agree with both of these statements. It's not science fiction, but it's like, raw insight into the mind of a science fiction writer.

I read Valis right after taking a class about the writing of the New Testament and it's historical context. This was a lucky coincidence because while it make some of PKD's common misconceptions about early Christianity stick out like a sore thumb, it also meant I knew exactly what he was talking about with all his gnostic ideology.

Reading it made be feel really sympathetic for PKD and it was really kind of a sad experience. At the same time it was such an engrossing read I definitely want to read more of it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Snak posted:

Reading it made be feel really sympathetic for PKD and it was really kind of a sad experience. At the same time it was such an engrossing read I definitely want to read more of it.

I have a whole shelf of Dick (:dong:) but if I hadn't read a biography (Divine Invasions) very early on I would've lost patience with him a long time ago. Being able to read PKD's books and ideas in context with his real life has allowed me to get past the glaring flaws in a lot of his stuff - the vicarious neuroses, the terrible writing, wondering on which page he is going to comment on a female character's breasts....

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Spacely posted:

I can't believe no one said that already haha

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Spacely posted:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is also fantastic, unless, of course, you are referring to all five (six) books in the 'trilogy'.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is a decent read as well, but I'm not sure it qualifies as science fiction.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

BodineWilson posted:

If you liked that, you'll like Starship Troopers by Heinlein. It's not all that much like the movie, so don't think it's ruined it for you or anything.
I'm not a huge fan of his other stuff, since it gets progressively weirder as he ages, but I really enjoyed that book. Tons of the ideas in forever war are 'borrowed' pretty much rote from Starship Troopers.

It can be successfully argued that Starship Troopers (the book) has influenced the U.S. Military more than any other work of fiction. Hell, DARPA has been working on powered armor for several years now. Starship Troopers was on the reading list for OCS for the Marines, the Navy and the Army if I remember correctly.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Snak posted:

Yeah, I agree with both of these statements. It's not science fiction, but it's like, raw insight into the mind of a science fiction writer.

I read Valis right after taking a class about the writing of the New Testament and it's historical context. This was a lucky coincidence because while it make some of PKD's common misconceptions about early Christianity stick out like a sore thumb, it also meant I knew exactly what he was talking about with all his gnostic ideology.

Dunno if by valis you mean the book or the trilogy but if the former then read all three, Timothy archer is like a million times sadder than valis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Cuntpunch posted:

Corey's Expanse Trilogy, starting with Leviathan Wakes, is amazing. Just finished it last night. Best scifi I've read since Banks died.

Glad to see someone else post this, I recently finished as well and totally dug it. I'd pretty much figured all the good sci-fi had already been written but he really knocks it out of the park.

• Locked thread