Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
news time

quote:

@guicruzzz 12m
That was.... fast. RT @arielhelwani: With Titan FC's blessing, Ben Saunders returns to UFC

quote:

@Jason_Floyd 8m
Kyle Noke out of UFC Fight Night 52 bout against Yoshihiro Akiyama with a knee injury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's telling that a rapist has better public reception than Jon Jones.

Matt Hughes is the director of fighter relations, after all.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

david carmichael posted:

yeah. the public backlash against tyson was greater than that of most people, but that's because he was more popular and more polarizing. and the backlash further fueled his popularity. jon jones isn't really polarizing, people just don't like him much.
The best recent example of sporting disgrace is lance armstrong. He had next to zero supporters or allies throughout the PED inquest saga not simply because he cheated in his sport for so long, but because he was a publicly arrogant condescending piece of poo poo to his peers and fans, and had no problem making it known at every opportunity. Even cancer sympathy can only extend so far, in the case of an egomaniacal turd.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The best recent example of sporting disgrace is lance armstrong. He had next to zero supporters or allies throughout the PED inquest saga not simply because he cheated in his sport for so long, but because he was a publicly arrogant condescending piece of poo poo to his peers and fans, and had no problem making it known at every opportunity. Even cancer sympathy can only extend so far, in the case of an egomaniacal turd.

This is basically Jon Jones with PEDs added.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sucks about Noke, that was probably Akiyama's one winnable fight.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Joe Silva's regretting giving Akiyama an opponent on his level and is sending a zeppelin for RObbie Lawler

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Could the decline in finishes over the years be representative of an overall increase in fighter skill level/a decrease in "all out war" retardation in training camps?

Genuine question, I haven't seen any FOX Sports 1 fights so I have no idea how bad the prelim fighters are these days.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Could the decline in finishes over the years be representative of an overall increase in fighter skill level/a decrease in "all out war" retardation in training camps?

Genuine question, I haven't seen any FOX Sports 1 fights so I have no idea how bad the prelim fighters are these days.

In my opinion yes

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bell the Cat posted:

I want this too.

But I don't think Dana would fathom putting him in a fight he could conceivably lose before he gets his title shot.

He's already in one. Poirier is only slightly more beatable than TKZ, their fight with eachother wasn't one sided or anything...although I guess it did show that he's hittable with uppercuts and lord knows Conor loves him some uppercuts.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He's already in one. Poirier is only slightly more beatable than TKZ, their fight with eachother wasn't one sided or anything...although I guess it did show that he's hittable with uppercuts and lord knows Conor loves him some uppercuts.

I hope Poirier jiu-jitsus all over Conor

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is what people are supposed to be taking away from those stats instead of the 'lol fighters are getting worse' thing.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
The skill level is still increasing pretty rapidly. So while the talent pool is getting more diluted i.e. there are many more fighters in the ufc who are "bad" relative to the current great fighters than there was say 7 years ago, the bad fighters now are, in absolute terms, so much better than the bad fighters then.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
there is more information available about fighters for joe and sean to look at, so you end up with a smaller % of complete mismatches

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

david carmichael posted:

there is more information available about fighters for joe and sean to look at, so you end up with a smaller % of complete mismatches

Except Charlie Brenneman vs Anyone Else

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If Poirier comes to grapple he's going to be a nightmare for McGregor, whose Irish wrestling over Holloway with a hurt ACL says more about Holloway than it does McGregor IMO. As was said, Poirier showcased some slick jits in the TKZ fight, which was cool as hell.

That said, Poirier has a tendency to want to strike more than he should if he feels he has something to prove, which is still fine against the Brookins-level people he fights but I recall had him wobbled against Brandao, so if that happens then McGregor still has a shot at winning, especially early.

Poirier is a huge step up for McGregor but stylistically in terms of how some of his fights have gone, it's still McGregor's most winnable in the top of the division.

e:

david carmichael posted:

Like Mendes vs. McKenzie for example

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

I think its more an equalization of fighter skill levels and more fighters looking at the long game of their career.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
I know I'm always the one to defend mcgregor, but will someone please explain to me why it's just a known thing that he has a wrestling weakness with no evidence to back this up?

Please don't use "is irish" or "got tapped years ago at the beginning of his career".

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dangersim posted:

I know I'm always the one to defend mcgregor, but will someone please explain to me why it's just a known thing that he has a wrestling weakness with no evidence to back this up?

Please don't use "is irish" or "got tapped years ago at the beginning of his career".

goon hate popular cool man

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

david carmichael posted:

That was an option I hadn't considered. Definitely a good thing for the sport overall!

LobsterMobster posted:

Screw that. I had no idea who Connor even was until the Ireland card on Fight Pass, now I'm happily riding the hype train all the way to McGregor getting his legs soccer kicked into a fine paste by Aldo in 2015!

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

LobsterMobster posted:

he'll have to once he gets dropped :D

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i haven't watched any mcgregor fights since he knocked out the dbz guy after showing up to the pre fight press conference dressed like mr. gumby

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Akiyama is now fighting Amir Sadollah :geno:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dangersim posted:

Bubba Smith posted:

It will be interesting to see where the first strawweight women's champion ends up as a draw.

She will not.

I actually agree with Dangersim here, but not because I think WMMA is bad. Ladies' Strawweight owns, they had a bunch of great fights in Invicta, and most of those women are now coming to the UFC. There has also already been at least one fun strawweight fight in the UFC, Jędrzejczyk-Lima (I didn't catch the other one so I don't know how good it was). It wasn't as good as it could have been because Lima blew her weight cut and then gassed horribly, but it was still a cool fight. It's going to be a competitive division with cool fights.

I won't draw, though, because they're small. Call it the Mighty Mouse principle; people would rather see bad heavyweights than awesome flyweights.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

EvanSchenck posted:

She will not.

I actually agree with Dangersim here, but not because I think WMMA is bad. Ladies' Strawweight owns, they had a bunch of great fights in Invicta, and most of those women are now coming to the UFC. There has also already been at least one fun strawweight fight in the UFC, Jędrzejczyk-Lima (I didn't catch the other one so I don't know how good it was). It wasn't as good as it could have been because Lima blew her weight cut and then gassed horribly, but it was still a cool fight. It's going to be a competitive division with cool fights.

I won't draw, though, because they're small. Call it the Mighty Mouse principle; people would rather see bad heavyweights than awesome flyweights.
[/quote]

but ronda is a draw and shes 135

maybe its because she is good and most wmma fighters are not good

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The interesting thing about this is that it implies Joe Silva thinks that Amir Sadollah is going to beat the hell out of Akiyama.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

All i want is for them to draw more than mighty mouse, is that too much to ask?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dangersim posted:

"Is Irish" is a legitimate reason to question his wrestling ability. I'm not saying he's an awful wrestler, but from a cursory glance/google search of the coaches at his gym it doesn't seem that wrestling is their strength. I mean their main wrestling coach is a Moldovan with 7 years experience. Khabib probably had 7 years experience wrestling before his 10th birthday. I'm sure training with Gunnar is helping a fair bit, but there's no reason to think his wrestling is anything other than mediocre to average at the moment.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
How about he wrestle hosed someone to a 10-8. Also Moldovan's are eastern european, if we're going to make broad generalizations about country of origin.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

She will not.

[/quote]

If Jojo becomes champ and Muay Thai's ladies to death, I think she'll get some attention

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

felice herrig is the only one capable of being a draw imo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It doesn't matter how good women's straw-weight is, it won't draw because basically nothing draws beyond a baseline level anymore except for a few popular fighters and WMMA isn't even going to meet that baseline because they're women and they're small. Lawler/Hendricks only did 300k buys despite being the best fight between the coolest dudes who had been knocking everyone out left and right. If that can't get people interested tiny women that no one has ever heard of have no chance, unless one of them also turns out to be a hot, crazy, armbar savant.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

How about he wrestle hosed someone to a 10-8.

Yes, THE Max Holloway

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dangersim posted:

How about he wrestle hosed someone to a 10-8. Also Moldovan's are eastern european, if we're going to make broad generalizations about country of origin.

Woah, he wrestled Max Holloway to a 10-8 on one scorecard and that proves that his wrestling is anything above average how exactly?

Also, Moldova is the rare exception to the Eastern European rule in that they are garbage at wrestling.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it's not impressive that he wrestled max holloway but that he did it with a torn ACL. but I don't even really know what an acl is

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Yuriy posted:

but ronda is a draw and shes 135

maybe its because she is good and most wmma fighters are not good

Ronda is a draw because she's a good poo poo talker who is obscenely talented at hurting people. Just one of those things is not enough. The only woman in MMA who has a loving personality besides Ronda is Miesha, and her personality is mostly "has big boobs and hates Ronda". Everyone else is too friendly, giggly, and generally unserious to be a draw.

Dangersim posted:

Nobody is a good wrestler without elite training/experience. What's Conor's?

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 7, 2014

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Yuriy posted:

wmma fighters are not good

Thanks for posting your thoughts about the women's strawweight division, guy who has never watched a women's strawweight fight.

LobsterMobster posted:

If Jojo becomes champ and Muay Thai's ladies to death, I think she'll get some attention

Actually I didn't think of that, but yeah, Calderwood would be an ideal champion for the division.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah it's just max holloway but he wrestled him into paste with a blown knee. I hope McGregor beats the poo poo out of porier and continues to talk poo poo after because it's awesome and it upsets people.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

felice herrig is the only one capable of being a draw imo

fighters that can't get past the prelims don't draw, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

EvanSchenck posted:

There has also already been at least one fun strawweight fight in the UFC, Jędrzejczyk-Lima (I didn't catch the other one so I don't know how good it was).

It wasn't bad, the Finnish lady was tough but was clearly overmatched against Gadelha. Both of them have been on Fight Pass so the division hasn't had any exposure so far really (plus most of the top fighters are tied up in TUF).

• Locked thread