Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Giggs posted:

Wasn't it just that the contest got an extension last year?

I think judging took a long time because they had some Crazy Maths running on the Google Spreadsheet. I remember judges saying that it took literally 8 minutes or whatever to insert a single data point, which is pretty crazy.

Anyways, here's the order we'll be doing tonight. We're aiming to get through 1-20 tonight, so if you're #35 or something, don't bother watching (unless you want to for fun). The list is totally randomized, except I stuck Minimum Effort at the end because that guy explicitly said that we shouldn't bother judging it :)

1. You Have to Do Everything
2. Culty: Fthangin with Chthulu
3. Hypnovision
4. The Contract
5. Lovely Day for a Parade
6. Turtle Derby
7. Breakfast with Agatha
8. Take Two Treehouse
9. Anime Club Text Quest
10. Kooking with Krug
11. Public Access TV Superstar
12. Public Access Wars
13. DogTime
14. 555-Skeleton
15. Game Knight
16. SWAT: Freedom of Breach
17. Tubular Game
18. TV Tycoon
19. Assault on PA13
20. Jeremy’s Dance Magic

----- (these will most likely happen on night two, unless we really race through some of the early ones)

21. Monday Afternoon Quizzlers
22. Public Access News
23. Sink
24. Spiritual Seth
25. Probing Nature
26. Angry Athiest Gamer
27. The Rage of Painting
28. YesCallMen
29. Derek Acorah’s Spook Manor
30. 2:22AM
31. Grublands
32. Wizard Broadcast Special
33. Night Vision TV
34. HAM Strife
35. Dinosaur PI
36. Public Axes
37. Let’s Be Heroes
38. Public Assets
39. Bob Ross Puzzle Painter
40. Minimum Effort

Youtube link coming very very soon (youtube doesn't give you a link until you actually start ingesting video)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm not going to submit an entry but I finally understand enough to make lovely games. I'm happy.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Okay the video should appear here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txEmuNR5Us

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'd just like to say that I find disgusting your deceptive plan to dangle a few dollars in front of amateurs to get a game engine that you can proprietize. You claim you're just doing this for your own educational benefit, but if this was the case it doesn't make sense that you insist on the source code being released under a non-reciprocal license. Someone who only wants to learn wouldn't care if the code was licensed under a reciprocal license like the GPL, or even a very restrictive license that wouldn't pass muster with the FSF or OSI: the only practical reason I can think of for insisting on something like BSD or MIT is that you want to use it for a proprietary project.

Your mind-reading is rusty. I have no interest in "proprietizing" anything. This would be the stupidest way to go about it. For a fifth of one of the prizes, I can get Unreal source. I do want people to be able to use the code, though, and BSD/MIT are my preferred licenses because they combine well with each other, GPL, MPL, Apache. Edit: also, I included Apache as one of the licenses.

I co-founded Mozilla, helped develop the MPL, have spent most of my relatively long career working on open source, and currently work on ways to release more of Facebook's technology as open source. Painting me as some sort of exploitative counter-revolutionary because I wanted to give out some prizes to recognize a practice I value is absurd, only more so. You would have a hard time picking a worse target for your rant.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 9, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Subjunctive posted:

You would have a hard time picking a worse target for your rant.

:vince:

Polo-Rican this stream entertaining, I like that we can actually see you guys.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Day 1 of judging is done for me. I did half the games. I won't post scores but I will post the comments I left since I have no idea how they'll be compiled later. If you don't see your game on the list, I'll review it tomorrow and post again. Also, you other judges need to get on the ball. :)

--------------

2:22 AM

What the gently caress did I just play? Most categories was an obvious solid 10. I decided the fun was derived from the experience but wish there was more interaction in each scene instead of just... you know... experiencing it. Story I took off because I had no idea what the gently caress was going on but that's the nature for these weird things. Theme I felt was adhered to well. This is definitely a show I could see myself watching at 2:22 AM on channel 12 but man was it off the wall so I had to take a off just for plausibility.

#YesCallMen

drat near perfect game. Visuals I recognized as default NGUI but they fit the "card" look so no big deal. Tons of fun to play. Polish was definitely there. A very interesting take on card games. YesCallMen is 100% public access. Story was a given. Excellent Job!

555-Skeleton

Visuals and Audio are dinged because of Twine. :( I definitely enjoyed the story as "opening a can of whoop rear end" is a perfectly fine text adventure option. Stuck to the theme great! Game was fun, but Twine is kinda meh unless you're really into text adventures.

Anime Club Text Quest

Played this right after the other twine game and the same stuff applies to audio and visuals. This was a tad bit more fun because of the anime questing to start a club. I was a little let down by the ending I got though (everything disbanded). The part that hurt the worst is that this game didn't do anything about the theme. It was just anime club. I also hate anime.

Assault on PA13

http://puu.sh/aKATc/3434e0e324.png Fix your poo poo bro.

Bob Ross's Puzzle Painter

A match 3 game with Bob Ross slapped on top. Not very innovative and no story really. Game was OK fun and polished. Audio was best part honestly and the Bob Ross videos.

Breakfast with Agatha

As promised, an MS Paint egg. I played this one twice, once perfectly for the aliens and again downing my flask at every opportunity and making scrambled eggs. Too bad no audio, but visuals were a bit better than default Twine. Cool game.

CulTV: Fhtagn with Mr. Cthulhu

Visuals were consistent but audio felt like it was slapped on last second. Game was OK, could have used a ton of instructions and a restart button. I like the idea of different channels being used as minigames. This really felt like a solid attempt at a whole game.

Dinosaur P.I.

Visuals could use a good polish since nothing was animated, just bobbing around. Audio felt last second slapped on top. Game was OK, but didn't really fit the theme besides being inside a TV. I wish it was a little longer or more polished (or both!).

Dog Time

CONGRATS ON MAKING THE MOST ANGER INDUCING CONTROLS IN THE HISTORY OF PLATFORMERS. 10/10. Visuals were a neato idea. Audio was just a single song. Game would be fun if the controls weren't so terrible. Game sorta adhered to theme as a show but I figured quite a few people would take that approach. Solid average game.

Grublands

Visuals were awesome! Audio was all there and working, game was OK fun. Definitely polished but I assume most of that was RPG Maker. Did not adhere to theme at all but there was some effort put into the story. Died a terrible boney death.

Ham Strife

Game had great models, but there wasn't much of a game there nor did it adhere to theme. E for effort!

Hypnovision

Another what the hell did I just play game. Excellent in all categories. The minigames in themselves weren't that fun, but once the craziness started, things picked up.

I Don't Care Anymore

Sucks that your team bailed on you. Happened to our team last year. I still cranked something out and so did you. Cheers!

Jeremy's Dance Magic

LMAO This game. I couldn't defeat Satan. You know what else I couldn't do? Find something wrong with this game.

Kooking With Krugg

For the life of me, I could not get a handle on those controls. Game looks super polished and well done but even after 2 tries at the instructions I couldn't grab the fish. gently caress YOU FISH. Game was awesome, good job!

Let's Be Heroes

It felt more like a radio show than a public access show. Gameplay would have been better if the voices narrated what I was doing instead. A walking around adventure game would be a good format for what you have put together already.

Lovely Day for a Parade

Sorry to hear your teammate bailed but that seems par for the course on SAGDC. Your game definitely fit the bill for a game but didn't have an end state! Other than that, E for effort.

Monday Afternoon Quizzlers

I thought this was a very solid game albeit a bit wordy. By the time I got to the action, I just realized it was a typing game where I could put whatever I want. Although weak in gameplay, the writing was very well done. Visuals were great as well. Good job!

Night Vision TV

I absolutely love the concept! Even playing solo, it took over a minute waiting before they would react. I highly recommend flipping this over to hitbox.tv to reduce the delay. Everything about this game was solid other than that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Quoting from the stream.

quote:

You just walk in with a machine gun and shoot up the place. Are these guys even bad? You didn't ask any questions?

Wow.

Just. Just wow.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

I'm beyond happy that you managed to play Turtle Derby without falling through the game world. Thanks for the feedback. As for the slopes, I modeled them almost entirely like Excitebike hills:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

The stream ended early because our internet died. What are the chances. Thanks to anyone who watched!

Zizi
Jan 7, 2010

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yep, strangely, our internet totally died at the exact moment we finished game #20. Our cable modem had the Four Blinking Lights of Doom. We'll probably do a 20-40 stream tomorrow night, although it will just be Jackie and I, not all four of us.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Your mind-reading is rusty. I have no interest in "proprietizing" anything. This would be the stupidest way to go about it. For a fifth of one of the prizes, I can get Unreal source. I do want people to be able to use the code, though, and BSD/MIT are my preferred licenses because they combine well with each other, GPL, MPL, Apache. Edit: also, I included Apache as one of the licenses.

I co-founded Mozilla, helped develop the MPL, have spent most of my relatively long career working on open source, and currently work on ways to release more of Facebook's technology as open source. Painting me as some sort of exploitative counter-revolutionary because I wanted to give out some prizes to recognize a practice I value is absurd, only more so. You would have a hard time picking a worse target for your rant.

:eyepop: God drat son. Here lies Lutha Mahtin, never stood a chance :rip:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 9, 2014

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Is there a recorded version? I missed the whole thing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Thanks for the criticism and hahaha I guess I unconsciously drew Dr. Zoiberg for Mr. Cthulu. Unfortunately we had some problems so yeah it was a pretty unfinished game, and the whole concept nearly had to be stripped. Especailly the running mini game, we had troubles implementing certain animations. I mean you were going to be a cult guy/girl carrying a camera dodging all the obstacles so you can get to your show within the time slot it starts. And if you ran into the lights, you just explode into a fireball.

Shame I didn't get to see my explosions. :(. But thanks for the encouraging words, and hopefully maybe the 4th time we'll have a functional game. Well ok technically this will be my third time with the same programmer but hey we are doing better! Hell last year we couldn't get poo poo working at all and didn't even submit what would be called a game.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

The stream ended early because our internet died. What are the chances. Thanks to anyone who watched!

Good show. It's a shame you couldn't play Public Access Wars. I'm in Britain so your stream was in the middle of the night for me otherwise I'd have created a game you could join.

If you're able to try it out at some point before 2am BST (9pm EDT, earlier is better) I'll be able to get a few other people to play - e.g. if we could try it out first in the second round of games or something - otherwise, is it possible to arrange a game with other judges sometime so that it can get judged? :)

Heisenberg1276 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 9, 2014

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Shindragon posted:

Thanks for the criticism and hahaha I guess I unconsciously drew Dr. Zoiberg for Mr. Cthulu. Unfortunately we had some problems so yeah it was a pretty unfinished game, and the whole concept nearly had to be stripped. Especailly the running mini game, we had troubles implementing certain animations. I mean you were going to be a cult guy/girl carrying a camera dodging all the obstacles so you can get to your show within the time slot it starts. And if you ran into the lights, you just explode into a fireball.

Shame I didn't get to see my explosions. :(. But thanks for the encouraging words, and hopefully maybe the 4th time we'll have a functional game. Well ok technically this will be my third time with the same programmer but hey we are doing better! Hell last year we couldn't get poo poo working at all and didn't even submit what would be called a game.

Yeah I feel like I really made a mess out of this month for a second time in a row. I don't think I have much room to complain about it being too tough considering what some other people had to go through this year. My hope is that we can still make good on the Mr Cthulu game in our spare time and implement all the crazy poo poo we had planned out initially, hopefully sometime before next year!

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
The stream was a lot of fun and you clearly all look very sleepy by the end of it. I'm sure you all had terrifying dreams.

RickVoid posted:

Quoting from the stream.

Wow.

Just. Just wow.

I seem to have made some kind of meta art game* that judges the judges (in this case as homicidal robo-cops). I accept my 0.0 "violence is bad" score with pride!

Note to self that putting the controls on the pre-mission screen, instead of in the readme, would have been a good idea - that's two playthroughs I've seen without anyone shouting 'Freeze!'. Also I should have probably tried for a bit more theme adherence beyond the setup in the opening screens.

* in lieu of actual environment art.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 9, 2014

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
in retrospect, my game is poo poo; but gently caress me if I didn't get it done and submitted so it is progress.

I would throw in "I only worked on it for 3 days :qq:" but the only person I can blame for that is myself :colbert:

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

TheOrange posted:

Yeah I feel like I really made a mess out of this month for a second time in a row. I don't think I have much room to complain about it being too tough considering what some other people had to go through this year. My hope is that we can still make good on the Mr Cthulu game in our spare time and implement all the crazy poo poo we had planned out initially, hopefully sometime before next year!

So far the trend is to get closer and closer to a finished product, year after year. I think we can do it next year, no problem. :)

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
I have been streaming for a little while (Take Two Treehouse crashed once I beat it. Heartbreak :( ), and I probably will for a little longer. I'm not necessarily the most entertaining person, I'm mostly trying to get deep into games' mechanics: http://www.hitbox.tv/SharpenedSpoon

Edit: Just finished. I will probably stream a bit more tomorrow!

SharpenedSpoonv2 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 9, 2014

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I'm done judging! Here's my second set of reviews in alphabetical order. The quality of submissions this year blew last year out of the water in my opinion. I personally didn't really like the theme this year, but there was some great takes on public access TV. I'm glad people really took off with the idea! Congrats to all those who got a submission in (even the super bad ones).

Here's my top 10 list in random order:

I had a 3 way tie for first and all 3 had perfect scores in my opinion. There was one 99 and the rest were 90 or above.

-----

Probing Nature

Very simple gameplay. I took off big for innovation because I assume you used the same "engine" as your other game you've been working on and that's not really in the spirit of game jams to essentially change assets on a previous game as an entry. Polish and visuals were obviously there, but I felt the theme was a little tacked on.

Public Access News

No audio. Game was a neat take on the theme but I wish it was a bit more clear which were going to be puns and such. Adhered to theme well and the writing was pretty funny.

Public Access TV: Superstar

Another game that looks like it used a previously built engine. Everything was pretty fun but I wish it wasn't so "guess and check". Some combinations I thought would work out did not, and picking randomly seemed like the way to go. Interesting concept though.

Public Access Wars

Wow, what a game! We had 4 people play and it was a ton of fun goofing around making a show. Adhered to theme perfectly and the stories everyone made were great. Tons of fun, everything was there, super high scores on this one!

Public Assets

Interesting concept but could have been fleshed out a bit more. Theme adherence was sorta there but not really. Web build needed to lock cursor. A ton of unity assets slapped together does not really make a game however it did help it look polished. E for effort.

Public Axes

I loved the neckbeard sprite. Platformer physics were pretty spot on. Theme adherence could use a bit more work but I liked where it was going. A pretty solid game overall. Couldn't get past the sand coming at me. Bonus points for screen shake.

Sink

Wow what a game! Everything was extremely polished and well done from audio and visuals to the gameplay and voice work. Great game and everyone should go give it a try.

Spiritual Seth

Great little game. Game play was a little too simple in my opinion but took way too much focus away from the text in the top left. The death animation and sound was just great. Very cool game.

Spook Manor

Game was a cool concept and interesting take on theme. Could REALLY use an end state now and maybe some different levels. It also needed some more sound effects besides a song overlayed on top.

SWAT: Freedom of Breach

I didn't really understand what was going on during the gameplay even though I got the premise of the game. I ran around and shot everything until I got bored. Is there an end to the game? Seemed like an interesting concept but needed to be fleshed out more. If only we had one more month!

Take Two Treehouse

I get a total "Home Movies" feel from this game. I like the concept and theme adherence. The sprites are um... inspired to say the least. Very tiny... yes... Mowing the lawn is just as annoying as it is in real life so props for capturing the essense of lawn work! Cool game.

The Angry Atheist Gamer

This was a thing. Also a game. I made it all the way to the end and the jerk didn't even want my atheist show, what a jerk. That's the last time i wait all day in a queue for coffee. There is no God.

The Contract

Goku sucks. Also every house is on fire in this town. Also there's a cult of leprecahns (sp?). Let me walk faster plz. I couldn't take it long enough to get the first camera. I do wish there was more to this game.

The Game Knight

I was stuck clicking around everything and couldn't go anywhere! I read the instructions again and now I can play the game OK. Full points for neckbeard sprite! That god awful midi should give you negative points but alas, all I have is a 0. Game seemed interesting if I didn't die all the time. Story was going somewhere but I couldn't get very far and got tired of walking. Someone should tl;dr this game for me.

The Rage of Painting

:toot: Look at this work of art. Call the loving Louvre because I'm going places with this. gently caress game development and gently caress computers, I'm an artist forever. Thanks so much for turning me onto my true passion. I'm in tears. It's a very emotional time in my life right now. Thank you.

Tubulargame

Martin Lutha, I'm very proud of you for getting back into programming. I'm also sorry to hear your team bailed on you. I'm also sorry to say your game is not very good. But thanks for trying! Better luck next year!

Turtle Derby

Turtle Racing is real. I saw it on public access once. I think Internet Janitor cried because he couldn't handle how awesome it was. By the way I fell off the earth because turtles don't handle ramps that well. If only they were 8 bit motorbikes instead. Where's the map creator? Where's mode B? Good concept and good effort put in. If you had other turtles, that would have been awesome.

TV Tycoon

Hahahaha. Very clever idea. I love the cookie clicker meets public access website. Brings me back. Wish there was audio to go along with the gifs. Missed a huge opportunity for midi music. Very cool game.

Wizard Broadcast Special

Even though I judged solo, I had an opportunity to play it with people during JonTerp's stream. I really liked the world and the Wizard public access spin on it. Gameplay was weird until you got to pushing block puzzles. It was hard to figure out what was going on in the game but the visuals were certainly there.

You Have to Do Everything

Hahaha. I'm pretty sure this accurately describes most public access sets. Where have those albino squirrels been anyway? Visuals were a bit subpar but everything was solid. Very clever use of theme and I stayed for most of the dialogue. Great job!

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 9, 2014

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Chernabog posted:

Is there a recorded version? I missed the whole thing.

Yep it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txEmuNR5Us

Can't believe how many games there are this year, 40 (I'm forgetting...did we have that many last year?)! Even though we didn't spend long on each, I can't believe it took us over 3 hours to get through half of them. Good stuff goons! Can't wait to get through the rest of them with Polo-rican later.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Apple Jax posted:

Yep it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7txEmuNR5Us

Can't believe how many games there are this year, 40 (I'm forgetting...did we have that many last year?)! Even though we didn't spend long on each, I can't believe it took us over 3 hours to get through half of them. Good stuff goons! Can't wait to get through the rest of them with Polo-rican later.

I split judging half last night and half this morning. Still took a solid 8 hours total to get through all 40 games.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Apple Jax posted:

Can't believe how many games there are this year, 40 (I'm forgetting...did we have that many last year?)!
We actually had more last year: 47.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 9, 2014

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Subjunctive posted:

Howard Krell: can you stick a license on your files and put them somewhere that they can be downloaded?

Okay, I put the source on my wiki page.

Also, I've made a "special episode" of Monday Afternoon Quizzlers. It's called the Something Awful Super Special and has all sorts of Something Awful related content that I'm sure someone will enjoy.

Here's the Hi-Def version: http://harold-krell.itch.io/monday-afternoon-quizzlers-sass

And here's the Lo-Def version: http://harold-krell.itch.io/monday-afternoon-quizzlers-sass-800x450

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

poemdexter posted:

TV Tycoon

Hahahaha. Very clever idea. I love the cookie clicker meets public access website. Brings me back. Wish there was audio to go along with the gifs. Missed a huge opportunity for midi music. Very cool game.

There is actually midi music that accompanies each program, but it's off by default because I'm not a monster. The button to toggle it is at the top of the page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Harold Krell posted:

Okay, I put the source on my wiki page.

Thank you for your contribution to my scheme for building a ruthless game code empire atop game jam entries.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Thank you for your contribution to my scheme for building a ruthless game code empire atop game jam entries.

That misplaced reaction will never not be funny.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

The Game Knight

I was stuck clicking around everything and couldn't go anywhere! I read the instructions again and now I can play the game OK. Full points for neckbeard sprite! That god awful midi should give you negative points but alas, all I have is a 0. Game seemed interesting if I didn't die all the time. Story was going somewhere but I couldn't get very far and got tired of walking. Someone should tl;dr this game for me.

A goth kid with a public access TV show wrote fake rituals with his friends and they made a TV show out of it. One of them turned out to actually work and it summoned Cthulhu's drunken uncle Carlthulhu. This damaged reality and the Game Knight, named after his own show which literally nobody watched, got a map of the world to show him how to go back to the ocean. He then proceeded to go on a series of tedious fetch quests for the twin sisters TDS and Fetch K. West. This gave him the keys necessary to run the gauntlet of sub bosses before getting to the final boss, which was Jeb Kerman living in a pipe. This displeased the Game Knight, who opened a trap door and went back to his basement to wait for reality to unfuck itself.

If you power level a bit early on the game becomes less tedious but yeah, in retrospect the combat of the game was pretty loving terrible. The game turned out to be just plain bad bad rather than good bad. Oh well! I learned a gently caress ton about games and on July 1st I had no idea how to make JRPGs but on August 1st I had a (quite bad, I'll admit) JRPG I can point to and say "I made that!" so I'd say the month was a success despite the lovely game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RickVoid posted:

That misplaced reaction will never not be funny.

If he'd just said "I think people should be able to do GPL, is that OK?" I'd probably have said it was fine. But he had to get all ad hominem, so I got a bit irritated. (I'd still consider him for the prize if he wanted, though.)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

SlightlyMadman posted:

There is actually midi music that accompanies each program, but it's off by default because I'm not a monster. The button to toggle it is at the top of the page.

Well that alters my score a bit!

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Subjunctive posted:

If he'd just said "I think people should be able to do GPL, is that OK?" I'd probably have said it was fine. But he had to get all ad hominem, so I got a bit irritated. (I'd still consider him for the prize if he wanted, though.)

And somebody got awfully quiet all the sudden...

I can't believe that I had not made the subjunctive / mozilla connection before now. Pretty cool.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

poemdexter posted:

SWAT: Freedom of Breach

I didn't really understand what was going on during the gameplay even though I got the premise of the game. I ran around and shot everything until I got bored. Is there an end to the game? Seemed like an interesting concept but needed to be fleshed out more. If only we had one more month!

Yeah there is an end to the game - a boss fight (tucked away in a mostly rightwards direction from the starting point) and after that a rating screen where it gives you a ranking based on how many people you arrested (it's simplistic: you shout freeze! at them with the RMB and they either give up or shoot back) vs. how many people you gunned down without trying to negotiate with. It's not exactly very realistic when you play it as you kind of have to instantly forgive being shot at, but that's the intention of the game mechanics.

edit: I fully admit that the level design really hurts my game and the bland walls and lack of direction work to hide the fun from the player.

Here's a picture showing off more of Jo's awesome sprite work:

More screens here on my website

Thanks to putting time into playing all of our games. These review shows are great for the sort of critique you'd get if you released a game to the public. What I've learned most from this is that instruction manuals need to be built into the game. Seems stupid to do otherwise in hindsight :)

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 10, 2014

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Grublands

Visuals were awesome! Audio was all there and working, game was OK fun. Definitely polished but I assume most of that was RPG Maker. Did not adhere to theme at all but there was some effort put into the story. Died a terrible boney death.

It's the unfortunate curse of Family Issues having taken away from planned development time. If you make it towards the end, the theme is practically entirely backloaded there as a big reveal, and it was intended to carry over and influence the rest of the story that was never implemented, after the climactic fight.

Dadas would have taken over Gorging George's infrastructure and used it to promote a nihilistic religion for his personal benefit, the new PC that never got implemented would have led a party to reclaim the Core (Broadcasting Tower) for the use of all Grublands. Yes, that means Dadas would have been the end-boss.

Change
Apr 26, 2007

poemdexter posted:

Dog Time

CONGRATS ON MAKING THE MOST ANGER INDUCING CONTROLS IN THE HISTORY OF PLATFORMERS. 10/10. Visuals were a neato idea. Audio was just a single song. Game would be fun if the controls weren't so terrible. Game sorta adhered to theme as a show but I figured quite a few people would take that approach. Solid average game.

There's 2 songs, they are picked randomly. High jump controls definitely lacked finesse probably should've just cut a couple wind up frames and had more clear jump controls.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

We're not going to do a second livestream this weekend for games 21-40 because we both have a sore throat thing and feel like poo poo. So the new plan is to just play through the games on our own (we're doing it right now) and finish the official judging.

However, if anyone ~really~ wants to see us play their game, let me know and we can do it later this week. We'll already have completed judging your game, but you can still see our reactions or whatever.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Missed most of this last Friday and just got around to watching you play our entry. Funnily enough, the entire intro sequence took maybe a few hours to model and animate with another few hours for music and creating the opening "cutscene" a few days before the deadline. The real reasons why the game part of our game was half complete are a bit more complex and don't have much relation to the time I put into it (although they do have a lot to do with priorities and time IMO).

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

We're not going to do a second livestream this weekend for games 21-40 because we both have a sore throat thing and feel like poo poo. So the new plan is to just play through the games on our own (we're doing it right now) and finish the official judging.

However, if anyone ~really~ wants to see us play their game, let me know and we can do it later this week. We'll already have completed judging your game, but you can still see our reactions or whatever.

Do you have a plan for judging Public Access Wars since it's multiplayer?

If you'd like - tell me when and I'll get a few people to play it so you can see how it works. Otherwise, there's a video of the gong show playing it at https://vimeo.com/102420455

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Do you have a plan for judging Public Access Wars since it's multiplayer?

If you'd like - tell me when and I'll get a few people to play it so you can see how it works. Otherwise, there's a video of the gong show playing it at https://vimeo.com/102420455

Everyone should give this a shot multiplayer if possible. It was a ton of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
:siren: POLO-RICAN :siren:

You need to have your very bottom row at the very top. All your scores are offset by one row and it's throwing off the totals on the first page. Please fix.

• Locked thread