Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chorocojo posted:

Well considering I keep winning, insanity seems to be the winning solution.

I....guess that's true. Then again, you are the same person who brought a WOOPER to the Pokemon League of Crystal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Silegna posted:

I....guess that's true. Then again, you are the same person who brought a WOOPER to the Pokemon League of Crystal.

Don't you be dissin' my man Wooper.

:wooper:

Look at that. You ain't got poo poo on Wooper.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
You have to go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb to win at Pokemon.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

Mine's just mostly "Well all my guys are in Y. I'm not moving those guys again."

To be fair, ORAS is probably going to be compatible with Bank, so it should be relatively painless to move over anything you want. Still a little clunky, maybe, but compared to previous generations, I find it hard to complain.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Hi hello, I'm working on an update now. It might even be up later tonight, who knows?

Main Paineframe posted:

To be fair, ORAS is probably going to be compatible with Bank, so it should be relatively painless to move over anything you want. Still a little clunky, maybe, but compared to previous generations, I find it hard to complain.

At the same time I just can't bring myself to care. There hasn't been any new features that really push me over the edge of wanting to play through what is essentially Emerald again.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

Hi hello, I'm working on an update now. It might even be up later tonight, who knows?

At the same time I just can't bring myself to care. There hasn't been any new features that really push me over the edge of wanting to play through what is essentially Emerald again.

Thing is, it isn't emerald, as the teams are separate again. So, it's pretty much Ruby and Sapphire again.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Silegna posted:

Thing is, it isn't emerald, as the teams are separate again. So, it's pretty much Ruby and Sapphire again.

That . . . doesn't really help the case.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm gonna get ORAS to go on a fun adventure with my Pokemon pals.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Personally, I'm only interested in ORAS if it gets the full Gen 3 Battle Frontier. It still remains my favorite of the postgame battle challenges.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

But you can decorate your SECRET BASES! In glorious 3D!
think of the furnishments...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Chorocojo posted:

That . . . doesn't really help the case.

No, it doesn't I guess. I'm only getting it as I no longer have the ability to use my Gen 3 Emerald, as it kinda got chewed on by my dog.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#30. Spook House

Alright. Let's scale this mother.

Wh-what are you talkin about, you nut?

Simple enough.

Choro Notes: Lava Plume, really I could have and probably should have replaced Flame Burst with it. It's 10 power stronger and hits both opponents across from the user . . . but also the allies next to it. The negative really only applies in multi-battles so I dunno! Oh well. Still got Fire Punch.

Choro Notes: There's a secondary path on the bottom side of this pseudo-route.

Choro Notes: And it's got Skarmory! I really like Skarmory's animated sprite! Look at it!

- - -

What's all this then? Is this how you get in the volcano? Let's go with yes.

Music: Strange House

Well . . . this isn't a volcano.

. . . I feel like something's off here.

It was just open to this page . . .

Whoa, that's some good craftsmanship . . .

You can hang around, you're kind of cool.

Why would this be laying around here?

Nightmares . . .

their stomachs."
Choro Notes: As of Gen6, neither Drowzee nor Hypno can learn the move Dream Eater naturally. You have to use a TM.

I'm noticing a connection of cause and effect with all of these books and it is skeeving me out.

OH jeez! You scared the bojangles out of me . . . I don't think you should be around all these dry books . . .

Hey! You're alive, right?

Question still stands.

battling against another Trainer!"
Yeah, that. . .

. . . ARE YOU MESSING WITH ME?

Well. I got my eyes on you, fella.

- - -

I really wonder what is up with this place.

Like, screw the volcano, this is far more interesting, yeah Jawnie?

Ah—

Abra?

. . . there's nobody here . . .

Ghosts I guess. . . . what? Ghosts exist Jawnie. You've bitten some even, remember?

Besides there are spookier things out there than ghosts.

You know, like corporations.

Corporations run by skeletons.

Choro Notes: Gothita and Gothorita are unique to Black2: In White2, Solosis and Duosion appear here.

I mean, I can guess roughly early 1900sish but that's just me. The guy who knows paint things.

Ghosts are jerks, Jawnie. Just saying.

Nothing else here. I guess we should look around closer at the other rooms.

Hey, look at you. Maybe make the walls bleed next!

- - -

Yeah, I get it.

Choro Notes: The Dusk Stone evolves Murkrow, Misdreavus and Lampent into Honchkrow, Mismagius and Chandelure, respectively. Lampent's the only one you'll see very easily in Gen5, though. The other two appear late game in Black (Murkrow) or White (Misdreavus). You can also get them from the Dream World OR, in Murkrow's case, you can get one way late in the game as a rare monster in a hidden grotto. Honk.

Hmm.

Finally. Ghosts must be getting tired of dickin' around. That or they're gonna block me in here.

Oh boy. Ghost candy.

Ah! The couch is out of the way. Good.

. . . I mean they're just ghosts but they're still creepy.

So . . . was it here the whole time or?

"But it'll be OK . . . "

Man, you know how many bridges there are in Unova? Place is like Bridgeworld.

Choro Notes: This girl appears in Black/White occasionally—as a ghost—at Marvelous Bridge. An NPC even mentions a little girl that used to play with an Abra by the bridge.

Well, I got a quest out of that I guess. Kind of wish I'd gotten something else.

. . . ah?

Thank you ghosts! I wouldn't have found this hidden back behind the house!

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Chorocojo posted:

Besides, there are spookier things out there than ghosts.

You know, like corporations.

Corporations run by skeletons.
That sounds very spooky, indeed.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I never visited that place. Huh. Didn't even know it existed.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I also had no idea that this place was even a thing.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The book reading screenshots are clickable. :aaa:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Pokemon games sure love their random moments of "hey let's terrify some children".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Pokemon games sure love their random moments of "hey let's terrify some children".

Pokemon games? poo poo, Nintendo as a whole love that. I think the Zelda devs officially have a problem.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon games? poo poo, Nintendo as a whole love that. I think the Zelda devs officially have a problem.

Welcome to Skulltula House! :stonk:

Things started off a little bit creepy with Lavender Town, but where Pokemon really got creepy for me was with Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf, where if you hurt them they will literally remove their associated concept from your existence. Plus the villain's whole thing with "We don't need those silly emotions anyway, I'll just make a new world without blackjack or hookers."

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Dareon posted:

Welcome to Skulltula House! :stonk:
I like when Nintendo's game makers throw in stuff like that. It creates such a lovely contrast. They're really good at making stuff that's really kinda hosed up under the surface. For example - also in OoT- Bongo Bongo is the ghost of a prisoner who was tortured to death by way of cutting his hands and head off.

Dareon posted:

Things started off a little bit creepy with Lavender Town, but where Pokemon really got creepy for me was with Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf, where if you hurt them they will literally remove their associated concept from your existence. Plus the villain's whole thing with "We don't need those silly emotions anyway, I'll just make a new world without blackjack or hookers."
Speaking of the spirit trio, I really hope that if they make another Shadow Pokemon game, Cipher steals those pokemon to improve the shadow pokemon process. Azelf could be used to strip them of free will, Uxie to remove all their memories unrelated to fighting, and Mesprit to make them only capable of experiencing hate.
They're freaking tailor-made for the role and Cipher's already been shown to be capable of capturing and enslaving legendary pokemon.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The Strange House is a really neat area and I kinda wish they had done more with it. Like make it much larger and have it be the mandatory dungeon of the area instead of Reversal Mountain.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Captain Fargle posted:

The Strange House is a really neat area and I kinda wish they had done more with it. Like make it much larger and have it be the mandatory dungeon of the area instead of Reversal Mountain.

I'm honestly fine with it being a sidequest thing, especially since the last "dungeon" area was a graveyard-tower. Would feel a bit too same-y if they had them more or less back to back.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I have no idea how I missed the place.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

I have no idea how I missed the place.

You were probably ignoring a core rule of an RPG, LOOK EVERYWHERE.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm still trying to understand why Gen6 made Drowzee and Hypno have to rely on a TM to get Dream Eater. That...that makes no sense. :psyduck:

ghost sex
May 19, 2013
Red was saying it's been that way up through to gen6. Drowzee and hypno have never been able to learn Dream Eater by any method other than tutor or TM.

Who even loving knows why

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

All right, so everyone's been talking about how much they disliked this area's dungeon and I was like "Man, I dunno, the Strange House was pretty neat." Turns out everyone MISSED it entirely and I don't even remember Reversal Mountain. Which makes more sense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Like a lot of Pokemon dungeons Reversal Mountain would have been better with an encounter rate just that little bit lower.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ghost sex posted:

Red was saying it's been that way up through to gen6. Drowzee and hypno have never been able to learn Dream Eater by any method other than tutor or TM.

Who even loving knows why
Ah, I misread it. My bad.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Chorocojo posted:

Thank you ghosts! I wouldn't have found this hidden back behind the house!

Man, gently caress that TM! It took me forever to find it :argh:

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

StandardVC10 posted:

Like a lot of Pokemon dungeons Reversal Mountain would have been better with an encounter rate just that little bit lower.

By this point in the game there's no reason not to have at least 20 max repels in your bag. B2/W2 even make reapplying them effortless.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Dragonwagon posted:

B2/W2 even make reapplying them effortless.

I thought that was a new thing in Gen6?

Although to be fair I really didn't like Gen5, B2W2 in particular, and have kinda wiped most of it from my mind, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff about the Gen5 games.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

MissileWaster posted:

I thought that was a new thing in Gen6?

Although to be fair I really didn't like Gen5, B2W2 in particular, and have kinda wiped most of it from my mind, so I've forgotten a lot of stuff about the Gen5 games.

No, that was added in Black2/White2.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Chorocojo posted:

Choro Notes: And it's got Skarmory! I really like Skarmory's animated sprite! Look at it!

Man, I love Skarmory's BW sprite. It's a shame his Gen6 model looks significantly lamer.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Zeikier posted:

Man, I love Skarmory's BW sprite. It's a shame his Gen6 model looks significantly lamer.

What, you don't like Gliding Metal Bird? Well, neither do I.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

StandardVC10 posted:

Exactly. The caves aren't bad, but constantly being jumped by the same handful of random pokemon, several of which have annoying abilities like status effects or high enough speed to prevent easy escape, make them a chore to get through.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Geostomp posted:

Exactly. The caves aren't bad, but constantly being jumped by the same handful of random pokemon, several of which have annoying abilities like status effects or high enough speed to prevent easy escape, make them a chore to get through.

Looking at you, Zubat. I swear, the encounter rates for caves is like tripled.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jalathas posted:

All right, so everyone's been talking about how much they disliked this area's dungeon and I was like "Man, I dunno, the Strange House was pretty neat." Turns out everyone MISSED it entirely and I don't even remember Reversal Mountain. Which makes more sense.

A pair of dangly dice on a rearview mirror don't make a pimp mobile.

I found the house and it was the only memorable thing on the entire boring route. The only thing I remember from the mountain is that I found the Heatran cave and it was empty.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You should be using Repels all the time, no point fighting wild Pokemon, you get all the exp you need from trainer battles.

The only excuse is Mt. Moon in Gen I where you couldn't buy Repels beforehand, but they fixed this in Fr/Lg. That's the only cave you can complain about, though Reversal Mountain is fairly bland in all honesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asator
Oct 21, 2010

I have never noticed all the little details in the Strange House music before now. In game it's extremely quiet, so it's hard to make much of it out, but then when you turn it up everything else (like, say, the wild battle music) becomes really loud.

Makes for a good jump scare, I guess.

• Locked thread