Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Bifauxnen posted:

Whoah, where are all these Brisgoons coming from? I'm always down for another goonmeet around here.

I'm hoping I can recruit a few for my friend's local roleplaying game on sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I would be up for Brisgooning.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
wouldn't a brisgoon meet be illegal under VLAD?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Flaky posted:

Just to go back here, but the Greens really did quite poorly at this election, mostly coming off the back of their earlier significant results in (I think?) 2010. It wouldn't surprise me if the Greens were more innovative in their campaign strategy or that it won't have delayed benefits once the data has been refined or whatever, just that they did not do significantly well that election.

Can't really be compared because it was only a senate election, but the WA difference between the 2013 election and the 2014 re-election was something like 6% and that was after they started using NationBuilder.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

xutech posted:

I'm hoping I can recruit a few for my friend's local roleplaying game on sundays.

poo poo, I shouldn't have referenced Rogue Trader, now I'm going to be kidnapped.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
The new major water utility company in Tasmania is only advertising their jobs through Seek. Can't even email in the resume and cover letter.

:tasmania:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
gently caress yeah rogue trader owns.

we're playing apocalypse world atm which also owns.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'll be in ADL next week although I am not sure if I want to meet people from the internet who may have conflicting opinions to me.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Laserface posted:

I'll be in ADL next week although I am not sure if I want to meet people from the internet who may have conflicting opinions to me.

You're joining the Australian Defence League?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

You're joining the Australian Defence League?

Beaten like a brown man turning up to an ADL meeting.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Beaten like a brown man turning up to an ADL meeting.

BB we don't use brown round here, Amethyst will tell you off something fierce

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

When it comes to resumes, a lot of it comes down to the look. You're competing with anywhere over 200-1000 odd other applications, you need your resume to look professional and stand out. I cannot help but laugh whenever I see a word doc resume because it just looks like no effort went in at all.

Indesign is good for resume making if you can...acquire a copy, for a fair price.

The only issue I've had with this is that a lot of people in HR/recruitment want a .doc/docx because they have their own horrid tools they use to pull out data/keywords to use with their internal databases. When I was on the job hunt last year I had a number of people ask me to send them something in word format because they couldn't use their tools on a PDF (and they're too lazy to enter you into their system manually).

It's probably much more common in technical fields where there's a lot of buzzwords/proficiencies or when you're not dealing with the hiring organisation directly, but it's probably worth maintaining a plain version in conjunction with a nicely designed pdf. Recruiters/agencies are all useless and terrible, and especially when they're dealing with hundreds to thousands of resumes for a given position, they're not likely to bother to review them manually at first and rely on keyword searches/scoring to pare down. Don't want to risk being excluded from consideration just because the recruiter couldn't be bothered emailing you asking for a plain version.

This is of course ignoring the fact that if the hiring organisation is using recruiters/an agency, the job is likely to be terrible.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Laserface posted:

Feel free to join us in the SA Young Greens Social Group. A few of us will be protesting next Thursday when Abbott visits town and we'll most likely grab a beer nearby afterwards.

WAR FOOT posted:

In nicer news, my university Greens Club reformed and they seemed worried we wouldn't get the ten required to remake the club, and more and more people kept arriving as the meeting went on. Sadly the new FB page already has Young Liberals complaining about 'more communists'.

Oh well, still felt pretty good to be there. :shobon:
We have just re-started the Young Greens in Adelaide and we're starting to establish Greens clubs in Universities. Scott Ludlam will be visiting later this month so hopefully we'll be able to use his appearance to springboard membership.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Murodese posted:

Can't really be compared because it was only a senate election, but the WA difference between the 2013 election and the 2014 re-election was something like 6% and that was after they started using NationBuilder.

a good few months of the Abbott government can't have hurt their polling either.

I wonder how hard it would be to quantify Nationbuilder's effectiveness (RCT maybe?).

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

BB we don't use brown round here, Amethyst will tell you off something fierce

Amethyst can kiss my beautiful brown backside.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

not the ADL, Adelaide. The other thing no one likes talking about.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

xutech posted:

thatbastardken posted:

gently caress yeah rogue trader owns.

we're playing apocalypse world atm which also owns.

Will the goonmeet involve throwing dice yes/no?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Sanguine posted:

The new major water utility company in Tasmania is only advertising their jobs through Seek. Can't even email in the resume and cover letter.

:tasmania:

I don't see an issue with that. The last 4 jobs I got were through Seek.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

thatbastardken posted:

we're playing apocalypse world atm.

Not sure if you're talking about roleplaying games or Australian politics ATM.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yes

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Calico Noose posted:

Not sure if you're talking about roleplaying games or Australian politics ATM.
Just stumbled upon this:

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

How creative! You're hired!

Jesus H loving Christ. I've had to read a LOT of IT resumes in my life that have made me go "nuh uh, next", but this one takes the cake.

E: WHAT WAS ON THE PONIES THAT NEEDED TO BE CENSORED? :gonk:

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 11, 2014

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Regarding the Greens' performance at the last election there were a lot of factors against them. Didn't both Liberal and Labour preference them last?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Do people actually buy books signed by people who aren't the author.

Nibbles! posted:

Regarding the Greens' performance at the last election there were a lot of factors against them. Didn't both Liberal and Labour preference them last?

Libs did which is why we were worried about Bandt.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

pantsfree posted:

The only issue I've had with this is that a lot of people in HR/recruitment want a .doc/docx because they have their own horrid tools they use to pull out data/keywords to use with their internal databases. When I was on the job hunt last year I had a number of people ask me to send them something in word format because they couldn't use their tools on a PDF (and they're too lazy to enter you into their system manually

and because they want to edit your resume directly to make you look more attractive to the employer (and therefore get themselves those sweet sweet placement $$$) by making poo poo up wholesale).

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Weatherman posted:

and because they want to edit your resume directly to make you look more attractive to the employer (and therefore get themselves those sweet sweet placement $$$) by making poo poo up wholesale).

Is nothing sacred.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

xutech posted:

Roleplaying? what system?

also, Brisgoon meet @ Stokehouse is at the bar, we wont be eating at the fine dining restaraunt attached to it.

Last time, people moseyed over to get Burritos at Southbank. Alternatively, eat before you come.

Or suggest another venue you can afford, has ambient music you can talk over and has a selection of drinks.

IDEA! We go to Halims Indian Taj in Milton and talk poo poo over curry.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 11, 2014

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Mattjpwns posted:

Jesus H loving Christ. I've had to read a LOT of IT resumes in my life that have made me go "nuh uh, next", but this one takes the cake.

E: WHAT WAS ON THE PONIES THAT NEEDED TO BE CENSORED? :gonk:

Company logos.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Surprised no one posted that several page long Zelda themed application to Gamestop.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Tim Owen just admitted giving false evidence to ICAC yesterday. From my understanding your statements at ICAC can not be used as part of a criminal case, but if you perjure yourself that's a whole different matter :munch:

He also fingered Jeff McCloy saying the two had agreed beforehand to lie under oath.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2014

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Reminder

‏@TonyAbbottMHR

ICAC #ThisIsLabor

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tim Owen just admitted giving false evidence to ICAC yesterday. From my understanding your statements at ICAC can not be used as part of a criminal case, but if you perjure yourself that's a whole different matter :munch:

He also fingered Jeff McCloy saying the two had agreed beforehand to lie under oath.

Haha Yesterday he was doing a not particularly good job of playing dumb and now he's just admitting he's been lying the whole time.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I should feel bad but the schadenfreude of watching the party who screamed and kicked and shouted about union corruption getting repeatedly rolled for corruption themselves is too delicious.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
FAMILY First senator Bob Day has vowed to lobby all crossbench senators to kill the government’s budget move to kick young people off the dole for six months, saying he is unwilling to negotiate on a compromise deal…

Senator Day says the entire policy must be dumped. “Not only will it not get my vote I am doing my darnedest to persuade all my crossbenchers and anyone else who will listen not to vote for it either,” he said. “I am lobbying on this as hard as I’ve lobbied on anything in my life, actively.”

The department of social services show that 113,000 people a year aged under 30 will be denied the Newstart and Youth Allowance payments for six months.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Nahhhhhh

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Liberal Democratic Party Senator, David Leyonhjelm, is reportedly backing Day’s position which, when combined with the opposition from the Palmer United Party and the Greens, means that the Budget measure has next to no chance of passing the Senate.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I’d suggest also this: which nation most clearly shows white in conflict with brown, Western civilisation in conflict with the Oriental; capitalism in conflict with the tribal; reason in conflict with the “romantic”, the strong in conflict with the weak? In every fault line, Israel is on the opposite side to a certain kind of tribal Leftist. Israel is once again the canary in the coal mine of civilisation.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Liberal Democratic Party Senator, David Leyonhjelm, is reportedly backing Day’s position which, when combined with the opposition from the Palmer United Party and the Greens, means that the Budget measure has next to no chance of passing the Senate.

This awful plan for 6 months with no dole seems to have done a lot of net good after all. It's shocked people into being more politically active, inspired many to join the Greens... and yet it's not getting passed cause they couldn't even get the libertarian dude to back them up. How pitiful is that?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

FAMILY First senator Bob Day has vowed to lobby all crossbench senators to kill the government’s budget move to kick young people off the dole for six months, saying he is unwilling to negotiate on a compromise deal…

Senator Day says the entire policy must be dumped. “Not only will it not get my vote I am doing my darnedest to persuade all my crossbenchers and anyone else who will listen not to vote for it either,” he said. “I am lobbying on this as hard as I’ve lobbied on anything in my life, actively.”

The department of social services show that 113,000 people a year aged under 30 will be denied the Newstart and Youth Allowance payments for six months.

Was there ever confirmation that they wouldn't be starting the six months wait until after people had eaten their savings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Can't even convince a libertarian to help dismantle the welfare state

• Locked thread