Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The New Racism: this is how the civil rights movement ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Are people more openly racist than they were 20 years ago or are they just more racist? And how does it correlate to the economy (the one felt by proles, not the one defined by GDP)?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Radbot posted:

Are people more openly racist than they were 20 years ago or are they just more racist? And how does it correlate to the economy (the one felt by proles, not the one defined by GDP)?
Part of it's got to be that it's just easier to see and read about racism, via the internet.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A lot of these people also have understood that you can't scream "niggeerrrsss". Yet, a of then really want to do that.

Like the article mentioned and like mentioned before, a lot of local level politics by republicans used Obama to be the face of democrats, in other words using racism to vote against dems, yet making sure that no racial slurs are said out loud. Just things about big government and inner city youth etc.

And then some of the people just did not get the memo of not yelling, and now they yell again.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think that when it became very socially unpopular to be openly racist, rather than become less racist people just kept it to themselves or close acquaintances. Now that conservatives have decided that there is a war on whites, racism is over, etc and that anyone using the race card is just a baiter trying to shut down discussion, racists have decided that they are allowed to let their views come out into the mainstream again and not face criticism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Reminder that a white dude from Arkansas was called "the first black president" 20 years ago because he played the saxophone.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Radish posted:

I think that when it became very socially unpopular to be openly racist, rather than become less racist people just kept it to themselves or close acquaintances. Now that conservatives have decided that there is a war on whites, racism is over, etc and that anyone using the race card is just a baiter trying to shut down discussion, racists have decided that they are allowed to let their views come out into the mainstream again and not face criticism.

It seems like every so often somebody (intentionally or otherwise) tests the waters on admitting prejudice and gets enough pushback to keep others from coming out and saying it. Like whatshisname from the National Review with the thesis on how whites are just naturally smarter, or more recently Bundy getting in front of a camera and going off on those lazy goldurn blacks. One person gets the idea that they have some adequate justification for the racism and tries to come out with something heinous and when they get shouted down the rest of them hide it away again until it's been out of public thought for long enough that the cycle repeats.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Just a reminder that rich racists who funded the craziest most extreme reactions against the civil right movement, big tea party funders, and libertarian think tank backers are often the exact same people. And they also think they can quote MLK in support of their ideas now.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ofaloaf posted:

Part of it's got to be that it's just easier to see and read about racism, via the internet.

We're also at the point that people are seeing an inflection point. It's a lot easier to be a quiet racist when you're the majority and going to stay there for the rest of your life. People start to get crazy when more evidence shows up they they'll be the rump in the next decade or so. Add to that the change in culture about race mixing (it was scandalous when I was in high school, but is quickly becoming a non-issue now) and it's pretty obvious that "white people" as a block are a lessening concern-- assuming that nobody else gets added into the club.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Someone posted an article recently where the idea was that in areas hit by the financial collapse hard racist groups were the ones to provide some sort of help to the people there when the government was flat footed. So you have a combination of conservative economic and social policies (reckless financial industry combined with slashing safety nets) screwing over populations and then the white supremacists move in to capitalize on the victims feelings of anger and resentment. It really feels planned out (and with the scions of the John Birch society running the libertarian and Tea Party movements I wouldn't be surprised) but I don't think the article went that far.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

A lot of these people also have understood that you can't scream "niggeerrrsss". Yet, a of then really want to do that.

Yes, but the problem is that they have all convinced themselves that if they're not wearing white hoods and burning crosses, it's not racist!

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Someone posted an article recently where the idea was that in areas hit by the financial collapse hard racist groups were the ones to provide some sort of help to the people there when the government was flat footed. So you have a combination of conservative economic and social policies (reckless financial industry combined with slashing safety nets) screwing over populations and then the white supremacists move in to capitalize on the victims feelings of anger and resentment. It really feels planned out (and with the scions of the John Birch society running the libertarian and Tea Party movements I wouldn't be surprised) but I don't think the article went that far.

I remember this one old election ad I saw. It had some politician promising a bunch of pretty drat populist stuff like support for social security, better healtchare, unions, and what have you. The one specific bit I remember was that he said he'd get blacktop roads for his constituents. It all sounded good until the end, where he said that if elected he'd work to keep black people away from our white schools, or something along those lines.

I wish I could find it again, because it sums up that attitude really well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Wanamingo posted:

I remember this one old election ad I saw. It had some politician promising a bunch of pretty drat populist stuff like support for social security, better healtchare, unions, and what have you. The one specific bit I remember was that he said he'd get blacktop roads for his constituents. It all sounded good until the end, where he said that if elected he'd work to keep black people away from our white schools, or something along those lines.

It's nothing new. People, and by people I mean all people all over the world, loving love social welfare programs as long as they're for their own ethnic group. The minute an "other" outgroup is perceived to benefit from "your" work the whole thing goes down the drain.

It's a fact of human nature and it loving sucks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

How are u posted:

It's nothing new. People, and by people I mean all people all over the world, loving love social welfare programs as long as they're for their own ethnic group. The minute an "other" outgroup is perceived to benefit from "your" work the whole thing goes down the drain.

It's a fact of human nature and it loving sucks.

No it's just a learned behavior and it can be unlearned, but it's really hard to unlearn it when you're poor or working class and are scared that other people might get some of the support that you and your family need to survive.

Of course that doesn't justify it but it's extremely difficult to fight against a self-perpetuating mindset that's reinforced by economic inequality and a lack of funding for public education.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Not exactly. I remember the flier you are talking about. IIRC it didn't say anything about segregation, but when you got to the end it was a flier for the George Wallace gubernatorial campaign. But yeah, strong populist pitch of social programs, infrastructure building, and high paying jobs. Then you got to the end and saw who was pitching it and knew what an rear end in a top hat he was.

I remember because it was a thing of goons thinking "black top roads" was racist when really it was just a reference to expanding the national highway project down there and replacing dirt and gravel with paved streets.

Anyways, here's the real thing you need to remember. The ‘Real Racists’ Have Always Worn Suits

quote:

This week we’ve commemorated the fiftieth anniversary of the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the monumental piece of legislation aimed at outlawing discrimination based on race. A three-day-long “civil rights summit” was organized at the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin, Texas, where many past and present activists and politicians spoke on the legacy of the Civil Rights Act.

With the commemoration has come further discussion about the contemporary face of American racism (Chris Hayes hosted a great segment on the topic last night with Salon’s Brittney Cooper and New York’s Jonathan Chait). Over at BET, Keith Boykin wrote:

quote:

Despite the progress of the past half century, the struggle continues. “The bigger difference is that back then they had hoods. Now they have neckties and starched shirts.” So said baseball hall of famer Hank Aaron in an interview with USA Today this week, in which he seemed to compare the racist klansmen of the 1960s with the supposedly post-racial cynics of our current generation.

You see, today’s racists don’t wear white hoods and scream the N-word. They wear dark suits and scream about government handouts. They don’t set up racist poll taxes to deter Blacks from voting. They set up voter ID laws to do the same thing. And they certainly don’t defend lynch mobs, which legitimize vigilante justice. Instead, they defend Stand Your Ground laws, which achieve the same purpose.

But I have trouble with this framing. It’s neat and easily digestible for anyone with only a cursory understanding of American history and racism, and therefore popular as a means of telling that history. It has broad appeal, but it’s not accurate. It flattens history and does the work of placing the onus for past bad deeds on a select few. It reinforces the image of “the real racist” as one who expressed their hatred in demonstrably violent ways. It suggests that racists have simply become more sophisticated, changing the tactics of their hatred from burning crosses to writing legislation, from white hoods to business suits, as that Hank Aaron quote contends.

Here’s the problem with that narrative: the architects and gatekeepers of American racism have always worn neckties. They have always been a part of the American political system.

I understand the impulse in wanting to find some way to convey that what we’re dealing with currently is a system of racism that is less overt than it once was. Saying things like “we’ve gone from white hoods to business suits” is one way to seem to speak to contemporary racism’s less vocal, yet still insidious nature. But it does a disservice to the public understanding of racism, and in the process undercuts the mission of drawing attention to contemporary racism’s severity.

It wasn’t the KKK that wrote the slave codes. It wasn’t the armed vigilantes who conceived of convict leasing, postemancipation. It wasn’t hooded men who purposefully left black people out of New Deal legislation. Redlining wasn’t conceived at a Klan meeting in rural Georgia. It wasn’t “the real racists” who bulldozed black communities in order to build America’s highway system. The Grand Wizard didn’t run COINTELPRO in order to dismantle the Black Panthers. The men who raped black women hired to clean their homes and care for their children didn’t hide their faces.

The ones in the hoods did commit violent acts of racist terrorism that shouldn’t be overlooked, but they weren’t alone. Everyday citizens participated in and attended lynchings as if they were state fairs, bringing their children and leaving with souvenirs. These spectacles, if not outright endorsed, were silently sanctioned by elected officials and respected members of the community.

It’s easy to focus on the most vicious and dramatic forms of racist violence faced by past generations as the site of “real” racism. If we do, we can also point out the perpetrators of that violence and rightly condemn them for their actions. But we can’t lose sight of the fact that those individuals alone didn’t write America’s racial codes. It’s much harder to talk about how that violence was only reinforcing the system of political, economic and cultural racism that made America possible. That history indicts far more people, both past and present.

EDIT: Found the flier. Not segregation, it was the Freedom Riders he was bashing

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 11, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Watch Sarah Palin have a stroke on camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ogJjmgpLM

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Already saw it here, but it's worth rewatching because it's amazing.

Also be sure to note national treasure Joementum:

Joementum posted:

That video seems to quit about halfway through.

:glomp:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
We could just have the candidate's base create their songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx5FFFDfAdY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Already saw it here, but it's worth rewatching because it's amazing.

Also be sure to note national treasure Joementum:

:glomp:

Sorry I don't read weekend USPol thread.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

zoux posted:

What is even happening here? What is this from? It has to be an outtake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's from her premium internet TV channel.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

zoux posted:

It's from her premium internet TV channel.
Any idea how many subscribers she has?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this article is depressing, but it's pretty much the same thing that happened here in Florida.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Any idea how many subscribers she has?

Multiply the Freep population by 1.488.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Rocks posted:

What is even happening here? What is this from? It has to be an outtake.

Rough transcript:

(Sen. Elizabeth Warren speaking): Fast food workers deserve a livable wage and that means when they take to the picket line, we are proud to fight alongside them.

FORMER VICE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE SARAH PALIN: We believe...wait...I thought...fast food joints...(hand motion gesturing with thumb backwards over shoulder). Mrhh.

Don't you guys think that, they're like, of the devil, or something?

That's what...liberals, you wanna send those, evil, employees who would dare work at a fast food joint that ya just don't believe in...thought you wanted to...I dunno, send them to Purgatory or somethin'...(smiles)...so they all go vegan!

And uh...wages and picket lines...I dunno, they're not often discussed in Purgatory, are they?

I dunno, why are you even worried about fast food wages, you guys... (incoherent mumbling)

Well, we believe, in America, where minimum wage jobs, they're not lifetime gigs, they're stepping stones!

[Transcript Ends]

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah this article is depressing, but it's pretty much the same thing that happened here in Florida.

Yeah, it is insightful though in linking together exactly how all the power plays are tied in through history.

I saw on twitter that the author originally wanted to term it "the end of the second reconstruction" instead of the title it got, which seems more appropriate to me.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Stepping stones to what? Not starving? Being able to feed your family? Does she not know what work is for? People working full time at a fast food joint aren't looking for opportunity. They're looking to pay bills. It's not like there wouldn't be incentive to advance above entry level if suddenly you didn't need to do so merely to survive independently, and who the gently caress are we to condemn people without ambition to misery, anyways?

Sarah Palin is literally monstrous. I know you're not supposed to get mad on the Internet, but that is infuriating.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Someone explain to me how a fast food burger flipping job is not a stepping stone and thus needs a "livable" wage.

It's not a skilled position, it shouldn't get skilled pay. It should be reserved for teens who need some spending money, not single moms or whatever.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Amergin posted:

Someone explain to me how a fast food burger flipping job is not a stepping stone and thus needs a "livable" wage.

It's not a skilled position, it shouldn't get skilled pay.

Because a burger flipping job is not a stepping stone for people who are working there as a career, which is a thing that happens

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Amergin posted:

Which IRC channel do I join to place bets on the length of this derail and number of posters that still take your gimmick seriously?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

bobtheconqueror posted:

Stepping stones to what? Not starving? Being able to feed your family? Does she not know what work is for? People working full time at a fast food joint aren't looking for opportunity. They're looking to pay bills. It's not like there wouldn't be incentive to advance above entry level if suddenly you didn't need to do so merely to survive independently, and who the gently caress are we to condemn people without ambition to misery, anyways?

Sarah Palin is literally monstrous. I know you're not supposed to get mad on the Internet, but that is infuriating.

Yeah, not sure where they are supposed to "step" to? Its not like its a job that is limited to people doing it to pay their way through college. A lot of people get stuck there permanently.

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Amergin posted:

It's not a skilled position, it shouldn't get skilled pay. It should be reserved for teens who need some spending money, not single moms or whatever.

I missed you buddy :glomp:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Amergin posted:

I know the gimmick, but let's extend this line of thinking just a bit: why would a single mom, or an individual with skills choose to work at "a fast food burger flipping job"?

Can you think of any externalities influencing a person's choice to do that?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Amergin posted:

So only those of a certain skill level deserve to live (humanely)?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Because a burger flipping job is not a stepping stone for people who are working there as a career, which is a thing that happens

But why should a person who settles for a :airquote:career:airquote: in burger flipping get paid the same as someone whose career requires more skill and/or experience?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Which IRC channel do I join to place bets on the length of this derail and number of posters that still take your gimmick seriously?

Synirc #poligoons

Not to be confused with #polygoons, which is full of very friendly people, but doesn't discuss politics very much

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Amergin posted:

But why should a person who settles for a :airquote:career:airquote: in burger flipping get paid the same as someone whose career requires more skill and/or experience?

It's better for the economy

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

I agree, really I think we should give all mothers a stipend, being that they are raising the next generation. Also good to see my favorite troll back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Everyone should get paid more and the 1% should have their wealth expropriated to the extent necessary to give everyone a guaranteed living wage, the end.

• Locked thread