Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

JollyGreen posted:

Looking for a multiplayer PC game with an active community. Strategy games in particular, or an FPS. Not Counterstrike, Battlefield, or CoD. Not Starcraft 2. No MMOs.

Since you're familiar with MOBAs, have you tried Smite? It scratches that FPS itch and has all the trimmings of a MOBA (though it is much closer to LoL than Dota 2 in execution) and has a surprisingly okay community.

edit: also it's free to play

Ben Nerevarine fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I've been playing a bit of Civ IV lately, but I'm just not feeling the magic that I used to. Any recommendations for strategy games on OSX?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, which MP game has good goon presence and a sense of progression, but at the same time allows people of different levels (or however you define that progression) to work together? Think MWO when it was a good game. Doesn't have to be F2P, but shouldn't be Pay to Win.

Payday is fun, I've enjoyed Warthunder, find Warframe boring. I'd rather not play a MOBA, they scare me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'm not sure if this fits the criteria exactly, but Nosgoth has a free weekend right now. My first impressions of it are very good. There's a bit of goon presence in APB I think, that game is gated only by your own personal skill level. Unfortunately the skill ceiling is very very high so you can go against some real good peoples.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Fat Samurai posted:

So, which MP game has good goon presence and a sense of progression, but at the same time allows people of different levels (or however you define that progression) to work together? Think MWO when it was a good game. Doesn't have to be F2P, but shouldn't be Pay to Win.

Payday is fun, I've enjoyed Warthunder, find Warframe boring. I'd rather not play a MOBA, they scare me.

I have really been enjoying Unturned. Dunno if it has a goon presence.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

TopherCStone posted:

I've been playing a bit of Civ IV lately, but I'm just not feeling the magic that I used to. Any recommendations for strategy games on OSX?

JollyGreen posted:

Looking for a multiplayer PC game with an active community. Strategy games in particular, or an FPS. Not Counterstrike, Battlefield, or CoD. Not Starcraft 2. No MMOs.

Both Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are great strategy games with multiplayer and OSX versions.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

froward posted:

I have really been enjoying Unturned. Dunno if it has a goon presence.

Unturned has become a better DayZlike then DayZ is.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Cantorsdust posted:

Both Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are great strategy games with multiplayer and OSX versions.

I have Crusader Kings 2, but it's a bit :spergin: for my tastes. I might give EU a try, but I fear it might also be above my attention span.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Cantorsdust posted:

The Saints Row series is very good about co-op, with the entire game playable as co-op and each player seeing their own character in the cutscenes.

I think we hit all the other suggestions mentioned (thanks guys), but, drat, I didn't know Divinity was designed for co-op... my husband bought it and already put 20 hours into it. I could have picked it up if I had realized :/
Although $40 a pop is a bit steep when you're doubling up...

What prompted my request was Resident Evil 6 last night. It's such a bad game, and yet still fun because we can mock it together :sigh: (you think insta-fail QTEs are lovely? Try it when both of you are drunk!). We're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel though. The new Diablo 3 patch needs to hurry up so it can continue to consume our lives.

[edit]Actually, we once played a lovely game called Dungeon Lords which was actually kind of neat because it was fully co-op world/dungeon exploration, sort of Risen/Dark Souls style, or perhaps even better described as a two-player "MMO". Is there anything else out there, lovely or not, that we could dig up?
I wish Dark Souls had a more direct method of co-op as an alternative to the summoning stuff...

Tagra fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 9, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Spaced God posted:

I'm in a racing game mood, specifically on Steam (if possible).
I've been digging F1 2012, F1 2013, Assetto Corsa, and DiRT 3 for reference.

I also tried playing Xpand Rally Xtreme. I like it, except for the fact that it's broken so badly it prevents completion after about 3 races.

It's old but Colin McRae Rally is the precursor to the Dirt series and IMO has the best physics. It's fantastic with a wheel. I'm partial because I own one of the McRae era GC8 rally spec STI's.

Tagra posted:

I think we hit all the other suggestions mentioned (thanks guys), but, drat, I didn't know Divinity was designed for co-op... my husband bought it and already put 20 hours into it. I could have picked it up if I had realized :/
Although $40 a pop is a bit steep when you're doubling up...

What prompted my request was Resident Evil 6 last night. It's such a bad game, and yet still fun because we can mock it together :sigh: (you think insta-fail QTEs are lovely? Try it when both of you are drunk!). We're kind of scraping the bottom of the barrel though. The new Diablo 3 patch needs to hurry up so it can continue to consume our lives.

[edit]Actually, we once played a lovely game called Dungeon Lords which was actually kind of neat because it was fully co-op world/dungeon exploration, sort of Risen/Dark Souls style, or perhaps even better described as a two-player "MMO". Is there anything else out there, lovely or not, that we could dig up?
I wish Dark Souls had a more direct method of co-op as an alternative to the summoning stuff...

A lot of couples like playing the Rayman games together. I play Trine (2 is better) with my GF, it's a puzzly side scroller with interesting design choices and 3 interchangeable on-the-fly characters.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 10, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

What are fun games with tons of unlockable poo poo that you get by actually playing the game? Ideally, I'm thinking of something like the Sakurai-style challenge boards in Smash Bros. Brawl or Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I suppose it could also be coin-based like the art gallery in Soul Calibur or the Krypt in MK9. Come to think of it, I guess Rogue Legacy could also be seen as a coin-based unlock system.

Basically, unlocking stuff that's interesting enough to motivate you to get more, in a game that's good enough to enjoy the process. And it's through missions or challenges or some other sort of gameplay, not just hunting down a hundred collectibles that unlock nothing but concept art or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Erebus posted:

What are fun games with tons of unlockable poo poo that you get by actually playing the game? Ideally, I'm thinking of something like the Sakurai-style challenge boards in Smash Bros. Brawl or Kid Icarus: Uprising, but I suppose it could also be coin-based like the art gallery in Soul Calibur or the Krypt in MK9. Come to think of it, I guess Rogue Legacy could also be seen as a coin-based unlock system.

Basically, unlocking stuff that's interesting enough to motivate you to get more, in a game that's good enough to enjoy the process. And it's through missions or challenges or some other sort of gameplay, not just hunting down a hundred collectibles that unlock nothing but concept art or something.

Not sure if this fits your bill but CS:GO has skins you randomly unlock as you play and can trade them etc etc. It's like hats but for skins. Hatskins.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
So I'm getting a nostalgic pokemon itch, but the problem is I don't own, or really want to own, a handheld. Obviously there are no PC pokemon games, but surely someone must have made a PC game in that style at some point? Would prefer not to muck around with emulators and what not, which is probably :files: and shouldn't be talked about anyway.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rudi Starnberg posted:

So I'm getting a nostalgic pokemon itch, but the problem is I don't own, or really want to own, a handheld. Obviously there are no PC pokemon games, but surely someone must have made a PC game in that style at some point? Would prefer not to muck around with emulators and what not, which is probably :files: and shouldn't be talked about anyway.

A fully 3D Pokemon game released on Steam would make a zillion billion dollars. This has always been true. Unfortunately, as far as I know, nobody has made a PC game in that style.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

A fully 3D Pokemon game released on Steam would make a zillion billion dollars. This has always been true. Unfortunately, as far as I know, nobody has made a PC game in that style.

Probably afraid of Nintendo's rather famous litigation teams.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mokinokaro posted:

Probably afraid of Nintendo's rather famous litigation teams.

There some extremely blatant iOS clones, however none of them are even 10% as fun as the real thing. I guess there have been a few attempts at a Pokemon type game but they are all F2P MMOs that are pretty terrible. Shin Megami Tensei Online, as well as any Shin Megami Tensei game really, can be interpreted as a Pokemon-like. My friend tried to get me to play a Digimon MMO once but I wasn't having it.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Obviously there are no PC pokemon games, but surely someone must have made a PC game in that style at some point?

At some point fourteen years ago, yes.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Erebus posted:

Risk of Rain is pretty good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Can anyone name me a game like Myst, i.e., wandering around austere environments, essentially alone, with puzzle solving? Because man I've got the itch bad.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Arrhythmia posted:

Can anyone name me a game like Myst, i.e., wandering around austere environments, essentially alone, with puzzle solving? Because man I've got the itch bad.

Some people like these. A lot like Myst from the little I played:
http://www.rhem-game.com/

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Honestly, just get a 2DS. It's about $100 and you've got 13 Pokemon games to choose from and pretty much guaranteed 2 new ones every year. I don't know why you're against handhelds but you could literally use it as a Pokemon only device and get 1000+ hours out of it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are there any old school 2nd ed D&D PC games that have the same level of adherence to the tabletop rules as Temple of Elemental Evil does for 3rd ed? I've been in the mood for a sort of classic D&D game but a lot of them tend to cut a lot of bits out.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are there any old school 2nd ed D&D PC games that have the same level of adherence to the tabletop rules as Temple of Elemental Evil does for 3rd ed? I've been in the mood for a sort of classic D&D game but a lot of them tend to cut a lot of bits out.

Knights of the Chalice

Here's some combat footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OLpqEZMAE

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Knights of the Chalice

Here's some combat footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OLpqEZMAE

That's based on 3rd edition, he wants to relive the 80s.

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
I'm looking for something simple yet easy to get lost in. Maybe a game similar to Torchlight/TL2 or a big ol' RPG kinda like the earlier Golden Suns. The more control/customization options I have, the better.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All of the gold box games, there's a ton of them, with the exception of Hillsfar I think. Pools of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds is generally considered good, but they were all 2nd ed D&D. If that gets boring, you can also play the Buck Rogers one as well, Countdown to Doomsday I think is the subtitle.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
So my friend and I are looking to get into a new game to play during the week. We are looking for the following characteristics:

-PC
-Cooperative
-Primarily Tactical/Strategy gameplay, but some action also wanted
-Real time (rather than turn based)
-Either persistent world or leveling/skilling involved in some way, so that our time is something of an investment
-Survival theme also acceptable, but not roguelike
-Semi-realistic graphics, as opposed to retro or low quality indie graphics

I threw out the idea of Orcs Must Die 2, since I have it and I think it's great, but he wants something less action packed and a little more tactical. He mentioned 7 Days to Die, but I want something not in alpha and without the risk of random assholes ruining our fun.

I think if there was some sort of multiplayer version of The Forest or a realtime coop version of XCOM, we would be happy. I'm looking at Red Solstice right now and something about it seems uninteresting to me. Can someone suggest something along those lines?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Pokemon Omicron/Zeta. I havent played very much of it but i probably would have believed it was a nintendo pokemon game if presented with it blind.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Being close to finishing Vampire: Bloodlines a second time I started wondering if there are any good RPG's/any genre with a story of being forced to go to the "evil" side at some point? (Obvious spoilers unless it's very early on, I suppose, so you might want to spoiler tag some recommendations).
Alternatively any game where empathizing with the character is as easy? I didn't know I wanted to be an absolutely insane, sociopathic Malkavian vampire, but alas it was fun - I don't think I will ever be as gleeful about protagonist dialogue choices as I've been on my second playthrough.

General dickery of being evil in a well executed manner might interest me as well.

(I'm a very moral and upright person in life almost to a fault, I swear).

For the record I've played both KOTORs which are kind of obvious candidates. I own NWN2 (and all of its expansions, I think), but I've barely played the latter, it barely scratches the same itch - Though I don't think I've attempted to go full-on evil on the latter one.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 11, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Alpha Protocol AKA Obsidian's douchebag simulator. It's the only game I know that lets you end conversations with villains prematurely by shooting them in the face.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Planescape: Torment. You have amazing potential for evil there. Like, holy poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Galick posted:

Planescape: Torment. You have amazing potential for evil there. Like, holy poo poo.

Planescape: Torment is the only game I've ever played where I couldn't bring myself to go the evil route because it was too harsh and realistic rather than too ridiculous and puppy-kicking. Like, I tried to be evil but felt bad and had to stop. That's a hard thing for a video game to pull off.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012

Zurreco posted:

So my friend and I are looking to get into a new game to play during the week. We are looking for the following characteristics:

-PC
-Cooperative
-Primarily Tactical/Strategy gameplay, but some action also wanted
-Real time (rather than turn based)
-Either persistent world or leveling/skilling involved in some way, so that our time is something of an investment
-Survival theme also acceptable, but not roguelike
-Semi-realistic graphics, as opposed to retro or low quality indie graphics

I threw out the idea of Orcs Must Die 2, since I have it and I think it's great, but he wants something less action packed and a little more tactical. He mentioned 7 Days to Die, but I want something not in alpha and without the risk of random assholes ruining our fun.

I think if there was some sort of multiplayer version of The Forest or a realtime coop version of XCOM, we would be happy. I'm looking at Red Solstice right now and something about it seems uninteresting to me. Can someone suggest something along those lines?

Men of War: Assult Squad 2? Not sure how the coop is in it, but in previous games it was ok, and MOWAS2 has an unlocks system now which most people considered a bad change but which I suppose you might like. Its more tactical than strategic, with a heavy emphasis on micro and single unit/direct control which will provide you with some actiony feel, and the graphics are certainly great. Good micro skills are required for high level PVP, but you don't need that for COOP and could probably find some other idiots online to play with if you want some PVP, since it hasn't been out that long and all the bads probably haven't been chased away yet.

al-azad posted:

Honestly, just get a 2DS. It's about $100 and you've got 13 Pokemon games to choose from and pretty much guaranteed 2 new ones every year. I don't know why you're against handhelds but you could literally use it as a Pokemon only device and get 1000+ hours out of it.

No specific reason, just the conviciton that buying an entire platform for a few hours of nostalgia in one game is ridiculous.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

Men of War: Assult Squad 2?

I'll run it by my friend, but I don't think this is quite what we want. Thanks, though.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dessel posted:

Being close to finishing Vampire: Bloodlines a second time I started wondering if there are any good RPG's/any genre with a story of being forced to go to the "evil" side at some point? (Obvious spoilers unless it's very early on, I suppose, so you might want to spoiler tag some recommendations).
Alternatively any game where empathizing with the character is as easy? I didn't know I wanted to be an absolutely insane, sociopathic Malkavian vampire, but alas it was fun - I don't think I will ever be as gleeful about protagonist dialogue choices as I've been on my second playthrough.

General dickery of being evil in a well executed manner might interest me as well.

Planescape:Torment for some really evil roleplay options. Prototype for general sandbox dickery.
For more funny and lighthearted take on evil check out Overlord 2(or 1, but 2 is better), it's basically Pikmin but you play as Sauron.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 12, 2014

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Pyromancer posted:

Planescape:Torment for some really evil roleplay options. Prototype for general sandbox dickery.
For more funny and lighthearted take on evil check out Overlord 2(or 1, but 2 is better), it's basically Pikmin but you play as Sauron.

My impression from playing only a little bit of it a while ago was that you're accidentally benevolent-ish sauron. Like the halflings have something of yours so you go and beat them up to get your poo poo back and in the process accidentally save a human town iirc.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

willus posted:

My impression from playing only a little bit of it a while ago was that you're accidentally benevolent-ish sauron. Like the halflings have something of yours so you go and beat them up to get your poo poo back and in the process accidentally save a human town iirc.

No. Really. No. Sauron is a kid plucking wings from flies compared to what you can do in this game. Sauron wanted to enslave everyone because he was Evil with a capital E, while the Nameless One will gently caress someone up, personally and thoroughly, because it furthers his agenda. Scratch that, I'm stupid and cannot read.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 12, 2014

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Fat Samurai posted:

No. Really. No. Sauron is a kid plucking wings from flies compared to what you can do in this game. Sauron wanted to enslave everyone because he was Evil with a capital E, while the Nameless One will gently caress someone up, personally and thoroughly, because it furthers his agenda.

He was talking about Overlord, not Planescape.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The concept to P:T is that your very existence causes torment. Literally everyone you've ever come into contact with suffers because of you. Your life is a Buddhist's hell: a cycle of never ending reincarnation that no amount of good karma could ever balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

willus posted:

In Overlord 1 yes, you don't have much gameplay incentive to be more evil; but not in Overlord 2, there your benevolence only extends to enslaving some people to work for you as opposed to killing and looting them outright(and slaves will take hours to break even).

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 12, 2014