Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahahah wow, saved by an elf. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

apostateCourier posted:

Jack. Jack was his name. I also agree with this notion. That one's going to be hard to top.

So, Jack is back?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

unwantedplatypus posted:

So, Jack is back?

He even has a bullshitanium sword. The comparison is apt. I wonder how many moments from our matches will end up going well with Rules of Nature.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Mikorin really is the heroine :v:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Holy crap what was that halberd build?

HOW I DOES THAT

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm not seeing any indication that the elf has any armor, and not many dodges. I suspect it's just the halberd and a ton of skill in its use.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Too many to get beat by a kobold holding a bow.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

apostateCourier posted:

I wonder how many moments from our matches will end up going well with Rules of Nature.

Elves know all about the Rules of Nature.

Also reading that fight log with tigerman Cat Stevens with Peace Train playing is something I recommend.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I'm not seeing any indication that the elf has any armor, and not many dodges. I suspect it's just the halberd and a ton of skill in its use.

This is correct. I actually posted what my build was earlier in the thread :v:

Mikorin has dodging skill, but didn't really have much occasion to use it - most of the damage avoidance ended up being parries, and once Gnomelette went down there was hardly anything coming his way anyways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That turned out to serve her really well. Aside from the ankle gnawing gremlin, there werent real threats and Miko essentially scored against opponents with their backs turned. Well, maybe not Grimdark, but I've no idea what he was doing all match. He only performed three actions, firing two arrows then getting killed.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Grimdark was shooting at the very brisk speed afforded to archers in this patch.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

perpetulance posted:

Grimdark was shooting at the very brisk speed afforded to archers in this patch.

That said, that first shot was a great one. Though, with how useful having a shield is I don't see archers turning the tide that often this tournament.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

perpetulance posted:

Jazzimus Prime posted:

As soon as the bell rang, kobold archer Grimdark the Smiley released a perfect arrow shot to Sister Abigail's forehead for the earliest kill of the tournament thus far.

Apparently that speed is fast enough

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

unwantedplatypus posted:

Apparently that speed is fast enough

It's not the first shot that's the problem, it's the reload times.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
God dammit, I'm 0 for 2 with my bets based purely on an intricate combination of team names and odds! Pick up the pace! I'm counting on you, The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo and Small and Mighty!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Podima posted:

God dammit, I'm 0 for 2 with my bets based purely on an intricate combination of team names and odds! Pick up the pace! I'm counting on you, The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo and Small and Mighty!

You appear to hate money. I am sorry for this affliction, and hope you will find peace.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

That said, that first shot was a great one. Though, with how useful having a shield is I don't see archers turning the tide that often this tournament.

I think for archers to be able to make a significant number of shots you'd have to have some very defense-oriented frontliners to tie up the enemy long enough for the archer to actually reload and fire again. A larger arena would probably help as well. That said, the reload rate seems to be so, so slow that it's effectively useless in this format.

Unless you get that superbly lucky first shot.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Bene Elim posted:

I offer this up as one of the most :black101: kills in the tourney so far.

It seems like the spear and sword did most of the work before the maul finished the job. Stab, slash and smash supremacy!

What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to bash PedAnt in the head with a platinum maul and see the injured part smashed into the body.

Unrelated question: Onan was kicking Pulpy Van Winkle, even though he doesn't have any kicking skill. Was this because PvW was prone?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
Platinum Helm is a waste of points they said.

Armour is useless they said.

...god dammit. At least we won.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Frozen_flame posted:

Platinum Helm is a waste of points they said.

Armour is useless they said.

...god dammit. At least we won.

Note that the bolt went right through the iron cap. :v:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Afriscipio posted:

Unrelated question: Onan was kicking Pulpy Van Winkle, even though he doesn't have any kicking skill. Was this because PvW was prone?

No, fighters get random opportunities in combat for better-than-usual strikes and fighter AI will usually take them, even if it's to scratch their pinky finger or something rather than give them an axe to the face. I think the opportunities are governed by the Fighting skill.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

quote:

MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior bashes Urist McTantrum in the left upper arm with his silver war hammer, fracturing the bone through the small steel mail shirt!
Urist McTantrum loses hold of the iron battle axe.

MatchlessIdealSublimeWarrior bashes Urist McTantrum in the right upper arm with his silver war hammer, fracturing the bone through the small steel mail shirt!
Urist McTantrum loses hold of the iron battle axe.

Wait, can arena fighters pick back up their weapons now or did this guy have two of the same weapon? :stare:

Jazzimus, how comfortable would you be with adding/tweaking materials, weapon types and races? Not just the points, but their natures, too. Depending on how the tests continue to play out, I may end up wanting to suggest some things of that nature.

Semi-related question: would it cause any backend issues if I wanted to try to run a tournament with titanium tridents, where adamantium has different properties or where stranglers were minotaur sized and covered with natural armor plating? Just silly examples here (possibly), but things of that nature.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 12, 2014

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Wait, can arena fighters pick back up their weapons now or did this guy have two of the same weapon? :stare:

The latter. If you look again you'll note that Urist never loses hold of a shield, because he doesn't have one :ssh:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

unwantedplatypus posted:

Really, gnomelette, whips? Everybody knows scourges are the go to small guy weapon.

I honestly forgot there was a difference. :smith:

Honestly though my biggest mistake seems to have been putting that 1 stray point into biting.

perpetulance
Mar 24, 2013

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Maugrim posted:

Honestly though my biggest mistake seems to have been putting that 1 stray point into biting.

S'ok man, we'll see them again in the finals! Bet on it!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ant Agonist has 3 points in biting, but she never used it as far as I could see from the combat log. She was mostly blocking things and futilely trying to hit things with her whip. There appears to be some similarity between Gnomelette and Ant Agonist's builds.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Maugrim posted:

I doubt that did anything to hurt. Skills in that sort of thing don't seem to affect fighter strategy much/any.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Podima posted:

Small and Mighty!

Yeah, uh, my team are hosed. It has me on it. You must really hate money.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Minotaur Mites just got soloed by an elf wielding a halberd. I wasn't expecting Lu Bu to be reborn as one of the tree huggers, but I'm more than okay with it.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

ZeeToo posted:

Jazzimus, how comfortable would you be with adding/tweaking materials, weapon types and races? Not just the points, but their natures, too. Depending on how the tests continue to play out, I may end up wanting to suggest some things of that nature.

I'm kind of against adding new materials/items/weapons/races for the upcoming official tournament, but I'm open to listen to ideas. As for tweaking the current settings, that's part of what this is for, to try to find something that's balanced.

At the moment I'd like a way for archers to reload a bit faster, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that. There are a couple of lines in the raws that might have potential, but I haven't had a chance to test them yet and don't know for sure if changing them would even affect fire rate.

ZeeToo posted:

Semi-related question: would it cause any backend issues if I wanted to try to run a tournament with titanium tridents, where adamantium has different properties or where stranglers were minotaur sized and covered with natural armor plating? Just silly examples here (possibly), but things of that nature.

Before? Yes, it would have caused huge back-end issues.

But now that it's possible to have multiple simultaneous leagues running at once? Multiple leagues were meant to enable exactly that sort of thing. Should be very much possible.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd be interested in seeing some three faction fights, or set them in a different section of the arena, or something like that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tunicate posted:

I'd be interested in seeing some three faction fights, or set them in a different section of the arena, or something like that.

The problem is that the winner would most likely be the last faction to engage.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Tunicate posted:

An arena that's fair for a three being free-for-all is impossible in DF thanks to the squared grid. It's a great idea and something I'd love to see, but there would always be one fighter further away from the other two (and therefore at an advantage) or one player stuck in between the others (bad for obvious reasons.

If you want multiple fighter brawls, it has to be even numbers for fairness.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Bene Elim posted:

An arena that's fair for a three being free-for-all is impossible in DF thanks to the squared grid. It's a great idea and something I'd love to see, but there would always be one fighter further away from the other two (and therefore at an advantage) or one player stuck in between the others (bad for obvious reasons.

He just said three factions, that leaves the possibility of teams still.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Clearly it means at some point we will have each of the four teams in a division in the same ring fighting to the death.

And then, later, each of the four divisions, each team working together with the other teams in their division, fighting it out to the death.

Even numbers. And blood.

We thirst.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bene Elim posted:

Put them in the maze at an equal distance.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Almost 24 hours with no update? What is this, Bronzestabbed?

No idea how long it's been, I just love the write ups. Also: keep doin what you are doing leperfish.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Almost 24 hours with no update? What is this, Bronzestabbed?

No idea how long it's been, I just love the write ups. Also: keep doin what you are doing leperfish.

Heh. It sort of is Bronzestabbed, isn't it.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
:siren: Test Tournament, Week 1, Match 7 :siren:

The Ugly Ones vs The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo

BRONZESTABBED, Dwarfhalla (Dorfsociated Press) -- The combined size of the largest team in the tournament proved to be just barely enough to overcome a bad start and Willow Rawhide's determination, as The Ugly Ones brute-forced their way to a hard-fought 3-0 victory over The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo in what might have been the most brutal fight of the tournament yet.

Willow charged out of the gate and smashed Mammarian in the mouth with her scourge, knocking out a tooth, as Urist the Boring landed a nasty hit on Prancer III's arm. Another hit from Willow tore open an artery in Mammarian's leg, and soon the arena floor was slick with blood. When Johnny Bravo followed this up with a hammer strike that caused a spinal injury to Van Winkle, Urist sliced open Prancer's leg with his axe, and Willow then knocked Mammarian to her back with a charge, the smaller team appeared to have this one under control.

However, size has always proved to be a formidable advantage in the arena, and tonight was no exception. The tide was turned when Van Winkle knocked Johnny Bravo to the ground and severed his hammer-hand with a halberd strike. Prancer followed this to a stab into Urist's spinal column with his dagger, which stuck into the bone. Gurgling his own blood, Urist responded by burying his greataxe into Prancer's quadriceps muscle. Meanwhile, Willow continued to lash Mammarian with her scourge, and even obliterated one of the molemarian's ears into a bloody mass with a punch for good measure.

Another stab from Prancer was too much pain for Urist to endure, and he passed out, just as Van Winkle performed an extraction on Johnny Bravo's teeth with his halberd. Prancer began furiously stabbing Urist in the head, and continued to do so until Urist stopped moving, which happened right around the same time that Van Winkle took off one of Johnny Bravo's feet. With Bravo on the ground unable to stand, Van Winkle quickly chopped off the human's head with a halberd strike, and the two battered and bloodied giants turned to their last remaining opponent -- Willow Rawhide, who had continued to lash away at Mammarian with her scourge.

Surrounded by three larger opponents now, Willow did not back down. She tore apart Prancer's weapon arm with a flurry of scourge strikes, causing the minotaur to lose hold of his dagger. She continued to lash away at Prancer, inflicting several good hits and tearing apart his abdomen, while occasionally striking at Mammarian to keep the molemarian from getting back up.

Finally Van Winkle joined the fray, and the three opponents at once were simply too many for the outnumbered, outsized goblin heroine. She parried blow after blow from her foes, but finally a halberd strike from Van Winkle got through and hit the goblin's neck. Yet with blood spurting from her neck, still she continued to fight, rending the flesh and breaking the bones of all three of her opponents, until a lucky hammer strike from a newly energized (and now overlooked by Willow) Mammarian was able to shatter Willow's knee, knocking the goblin unconscious. As Mammarian's teammates lay around writhing in pain, the molemarian gathered herself back to her feet and crushed Willow's head with a hammer strike, and the fight was over.

Notably, this fight was the first time during the current tournament that the Dwarfhalla Broadcasting Corporation announcers awarded the Most Valuable Fighter title to a fighter on the losing team, as they deemed Willow Rawhide to be most worthy of the honors.

The Good, The Bad, And The Bravo will be resurrected to take on Small and Mighty next weekend, while The Ugly Ones will be healed to take on Art, Politics, and other Bull.

Kills - Prancer III 1, Van Winkle 1, Mammarian 1

Combat Log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My teeth! My ear! MY FOOT GOT WHIPPED OFF.

Good thing molemarians dont feel pain and I was pretty much there soaking up the majority of the whip hits, otherwise I think we might have been in serious trouble.

• Locked thread