Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SirKibbles posted:

Ah yeah it's totally illegal but if you can't enforce a law it might as well not exist. I think technically they can get away with it if they declare it a danger zone.

Here's a nice little vine of cops pointing guns at civs taking video of them in Ferguson:
https://vine.co/v/MYZmwD9Dqhu

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How bad was/is the rioting in Ferguson? Lots of people on twitter and news comments complaining about "urbans" looting, rioting, and giving the police good reason to start using gas and bullets along with some straight up white supremacist stuff which is really creepy although not surprising. All the pictures I've seen don't really indicate that much.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

All the video just seems to be police wandering around pointing guns at people with signs or just standing around.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Here's a great article to throw at riot shamers.
http://prisonbooks.info/2014/08/11/hey-step-back-with-the-riot-shaming/

Max
Nov 30, 2002

SirKibbles posted:

Ah yeah it's totally illegal but if you can't enforce a law it might as well not exist. I think technically they can get away with it if they declare it a danger zone.

If it's declared a danger zone, they don't have to allow any press in, but they cannot make any press already there leave.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Radish posted:

How bad was/is the rioting in Ferguson? Lots of people on twitter and news comments complaining about "urbans" looting, rioting, and giving the police good reason to start using gas and bullets along with some straight up white supremacist stuff which is really creepy although not surprising. All the pictures I've seen don't really indicate that much.

Freep's convinced it's RaHoWa. Then again, they think that when they see anyone walking around while not white.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chuck Todd is going to be the new Meet the Press moderator. This job could also be done by a broomstick wearing a wig stuck in a bucket of sand.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

No, that article is actually poo poo and takes a bunch of generic left-wing talking points and inserts "Fergson" into them.

quote:

2. “DESTROYING ‘YOUR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD’ WON’T HELP.”

I’m not sure how people who make this argument imagine ‘owning’ a neighborhood works, but I’ll try to break it down: we don’t own neighborhoods. Black businesses exist, it’s true. But the emancipation of impoverished communities is not measured in corner-store revenue. It’s not measured in minimum-wage jobs. And no, it’s especially not measured in how many black people are allowed to become police officers. Here is a local discussing why area businesses might have been targeted. White flight really happened. Go look it up. And insinuating that simply because all the white people left certain neighborhoods following desegregation doesn’t mean they are suddenly ‘ours’. This kind of de facto ‘self-determination’ is so short-sighted it makes me wonder how we can even talk about gentrification and segregation usefully if we think black people somehow ‘have all these neighborhoods’. We don’t have ghettos. Ghettos have us. Prisons have us. Sports teams own us. Record labels own us. We don’t have poo poo.

gently caress you. You've never heard of Ferguson before this week and you presume to tell us what it's like. Ferguson isn't 1965 Watts. It isn't East St. Louis. It isn't even Normandy or Kinloch, two of the adjacent communities. Ferguson is not the loving ghetto, it's a blue collar town (median income $37k) with a diverse (1/3 white 2/3 black) population that generally keeps neat clean streets and houses.
There was plenty of "riot shaming" from the people who actually live in this community and do have ownership of their neighborhoods and who don't want legitimate anger at police brutality to be expressed by destroying the community so gently caress off.

There were black kids trapped inside that burning gas station. They escaped, luckily but there is no justification for terrorizing hardworking neighborhood kids who just wanted a decent job.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Amergin posted:

That's my point - you're trying to eliminate welfare by forcing businesses to pay higher wages to cover what might happen to their employees, but you'll never eliminate welfare because something more expensive could always happen. There'll always be a 1% of cases you can't cover, and in the interim you'll be cutting a whole host of jobs because each employee now costs the employer twice as much to retain.

So it's a good thing that non-profits and governments subsidize corporations pay sub-living-wages?

Amergin posted:

And everyone else here is assuming the profits will rise enough to cover it.

The liberal response seems to be to assume that people, with their newfound income and free time, will both spend all that money rather than save it

These assumptions seem to be well-grounded in empiricism. This is a thing that's happened before, you know, and it worked out without massive inflation or corporations falling apart. Unless you're going to make a really stupid argument like blaming the 2008 recession on the 2007 minimum wage hikes, there's not a lot of ground here for you.

Amergin posted:

I'm arguing against the notion that the new income will flow right to the companies through increased purchases and therefore offset the new, much higher labor costs. In reality yes, spending may increase a little bit, but likely not enough to offset the wage increase/GMI. Meanwhile most poor folks will probably save much of their new income for bigger purchases like new apartments/houses, new cars, college for their kids, etc.

Um, first of all I'd point out that folks saving their money in the short-term to spend it on cars or mortgages a year or two down the line is still ultimately them spending the money and still stimulates the economy.

Amergin posted:

Basically we'd be shoving a bunch of people into a new expanded middle class and the middle class doesn't spend that much. One of the biggest drags on the recovery from this recession has been that people are saving more of their money. Why will that all of a sudden not hold true? I think many of you overestimate the increase in demand from a GMI.

You're doing the math on this wrong - the correct comparison is the MPC of someone making $20K with the MPC of their company's owner(s) who would be driven bankrupt by even the slightest rise in labor costs. You're seeming to imply that there's this sudden fall-off in MPC where it's high if you're in poverty but then collapses to be flat and low between $20K and $20M in income, which is absurd. Also LOL at the idea that $20K is middle class.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like how people will immediately draw conclusions off of what the internet says despite not living in St. Louis and not actually being in Ferguson at the time of the riots.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Neo Duckberg posted:

I like how people will immediately draw conclusions off of what the internet says despite not living in St. Louis and not actually being in Ferguson at the time of the riots.

But the internet totally puts us in their shoes today.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Zwabu posted:

You mean the 1860's, right?

Uh, yes. That was a typo. Definitely.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Neo Duckberg posted:

Well there are a lot of black people and they're angry so that's all I, a [left wing resistance blogger/conservative racist] need to know to draw a complete picture.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Radish posted:

Like someone else said, Sunday was the actual riot, and that was limited to a handful of stores in Ferguson. Strange how the media didn't cover the shooting before the riot and conveniently ignored the community volunteering to clean up some of the destroyed stores the day after (https://twitter.com/G5TheJett/status/499020740650229763).

Last night was a ridiculously overhanded response by the STL and Ferguson PD to a bunch of peaceful protests and an attempt by the community to have a candlelight vigil for Mike Brown, the kid who got murdered for jaywalking and daring to respond to a cop in any way that isn't "yes sir" or "no sir". The police constantly adopted aggressive posture towards the protesters during the day, overreacted to a fight at the STL Galleria with 25 cop cars, shut down Washington University in STL due to "threats of violence" (despite Ferguson being nowhere near WU) and then once it became apparent that the community intended to protest and/or march into the evening, went into full blown riot protocol with all their best paramilitary equipment and tactics, culminating in firing rubber bullets into crowds, pointing loaded weapons at unarmed citizens (including an STL alderman), shooting tear gas into backyards and porches, throwing a pregnant woman into the street, and violating the rights of media. They justified this by saying they were trying to disperse a "violent crowd", but they did so by basically shutting down every road in and out of Ferguson, essentially trapping anyone who had gone there to protest (or who was there just to work) and then hounding them throughout the night.

The outside media coverage has been piss poor so far, so if you're interested in what's actually happening I'd recommend following these Twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/AntonioFrench (Alderman of 21st ward in STL, has been following and documenting this firsthand basically since a few hours after Mike Brown was murdered.)
https://twitter.com/Vandalyzm (local STL musician, has also been following and documenting on the ground, lots of info about community responses and planning.)
https://twitter.com/BrittanyNoble (STL reporter, has better access and insight than most others)
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/eyewitness-michael-brown-fatal-shooting-missouri (So far the only eyewitness account of what actually happened between Mike Brown and the police on the day he was murdered. Witness has yet to be interviewed or questioned by police.)

This is honestly a loving crazy situation all the way around, but it's 100% to be expected given the racial bias in the criminal justice and/or police systems here, and how much the police have been allowed to militarize in the past decade, from getting MRAPs to straight up recruiting huge amounts of their personnel right out of the Armed Forces. I keep hoping for Obama to say SOMETHING about this, but I won't hold my breath. The fact that this is how communities of color are treated over legitimate reactions to injustice while dickheads like Clive Bundy get kid gloves is infuriating, to say the least.

It has been interesting from a couple of points, specifically in that Anonymous has gotten involved (doxxing the Ferguson police chief, downing the Ferguson city email system through DoS attacks), and that protesters from Egypt and other places are communicating with the Ferguson community to give advice on how to handle aggressive policing, neutralize tear gas, etc. Kind of amazing, that last part.

Edit: And FPD just refused to identify the officer, currently on paid leave, who murdered Mike Brown, despite promising to do so yesterday. Incredible. Anonymous is trying to doxx him too now: https://twitter.com/OpFerguson.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 12, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I love when riot shamers show up to tut tut about store fronts. Thousands of people show up to make a point about police brutality, a couple of people around the corner rob a store and it's the entire protest's fault. Welp, better not ever protest anything then

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
St Louis is home to the stupid cards and the stupider rams.

That's all I need to know about that hellish pit. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everything I know about St. Louis I learned from Nelly.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

zoux posted:

Chuck Todd is going to be the new Meet the Press moderator. This job could also be done by a broomstick wearing a wig stuck in a bucket of sand.
What happened with David Gregory? Don't tell me that ratings were down and he sucked at the job because IT'S A SUNDAY MORNING POLITICAL TALK SHOW AND RATINGS ARE ALWAYS DOWN AND THEY ALL SUCK AT THE JOB - IT'S THE NATURE OF THE JOB.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

zen death robot posted:

The media coverage was piss poor last night because the police kicked the media out of the area after tear gassing them during the 10pm newscast. That was a pretty ballsy move imo, because they didn't seem too interested in leaving until they gassed. The PD was also threatening people standing outside their homes on their own property with assault rifles, no one was really sure why that was happening during the broadcast. Keep in mind the reporters are actually trying to keep neutral and just stating what they know when they're out there, surprisingly.

This sort of thing is really scary. Like what do you do when the police is actively suppressing media coverage of their possibly illegal activities and the justice system does nothing about it?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

ReindeerF posted:

What happened with David Gregory? Don't tell me that ratings were down and he sucked at the job because IT'S A SUNDAY MORNING POLITICAL TALK SHOW AND RATINGS ARE ALWAYS DOWN AND THEY ALL SUCK AT THE JOB - IT'S THE NATURE OF THE JOB.

If they wanted to get away from "BOTH SIDES DO IT" they sure picked the wrong guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spun Dog posted:

If they wanted to get away from "BOTH SIDES DO IT" they sure picked the wrong guy.

That would be an improvement over the craziest of the crazy Tea Party fucks go on the Sunday morning shows and say nutball things and the moderator just sits there and lets them say it all basically unchallenged.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

zoux posted:

That would be an improvement over the craziest of the crazy Tea Party fucks go on the Sunday morning shows and say nutball things and the moderator just sits there and lets them say it all basically unchallenged.

Yeah, Chuck's the guy that will get to the bottom of things....oh wait...

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/chuck-todd-it-s-not-media-s-job-to-correct-gop-s-obamacare-falsehoods-video

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Odd, some people might say that's exactly the media's job.

The very last shred of my respect for and faith in American journalism was torn away after I watched Oliver's segment last week about how cheerfully the editors and publishers at major news outlets were dissolving the wall between advertising and editorial.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Let Amy Goodman share the chair with Chuck Todd.

quote:

GOODMAN: Vice President Biden, talk to us about what it's like to order the murder of brown children in the name of the oilgarchy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

Odd, some people might say that's exactly the media's job.

The very last shred of my respect for and faith in American journalism was torn away after I watched Oliver's segment last week about how cheerfully the editors and publishers at major news outlets were dissolving the wall between advertising and editorial.

That wasn't quite the last shred. If you really want to get your faith to absolute zero, watch this Daily Show bit about clickbait.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Not to mention that Jon Stewart blames the genocide of Palestinians on Hamas and thinks that America weaponmakers only sell weapons to certain countries instead of anyone who has the money to buy them. He's right about 99% of all the other stuff he says on TDS but that was some really stupid I/P poo poo.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Not to mention that Jon Stewart blames the genocide of Palestinians on Hamas and thinks that America weaponmakers only sell weapons to certain countries instead of anyone who has the money to buy them. He's right about 99% of all the other stuff he says on TDS but that was some really stupid I/P poo poo.

I think he was pretty far off the mark on the Blackwater CEO as well, but as far as a news source for the next generation if it's not Democracy Now then The Daily Show is a good second choice.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

ReindeerF posted:

MTP used to have the best ratings by a wide margin. Sure they all suck at their job, but Gregory really, really loving sucks.

I do miss Christiane Amanpour on This Week, she really added a great world news focus to the show. Of course, her rating tanked because she was trying to do decent news rather, so she was gone after two months.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The executive producer of ABC's This Week is 31, if that makes anyone feel ancient. He's apparently scored a ratings coup this year. But I've always loved George Stephanopoulos. He's adorable.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

This sort of thing is really scary. Like what do you do when the police is actively suppressing media coverage of their possibly illegal activities and the justice system does nothing about it?

I mean I'm not in support of what the police are doing, but the "justice system" isn't "doing nothing about it". The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation, the St. Louis County police are investigating, and DOJ is monitoring the situation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's weird that people would get pissed off when a cop shoots an unarmed suspect who's actually trying to surrender to the egregious crime of walking down the street. What's wrong with these uppity animals?

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Ferguson, Missouri[/url]

God drat. Is there a dedicated thread on this?

Radish posted:

Record it on your phone and post it on the internet?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 12, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

haveblue posted:

That wasn't quite the last shred. If you really want to get your faith to absolute zero, watch this Daily Show bit about clickbait.

Likewise, Buzzfeed's worth is now three times that of the Washington Post.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

It's weird that people would get pissed off when a cop shoots an unarmed suspect who's actually trying to surrender to the egregious crime of walking down the street. What's wrong with these uppity animals?

God drat. Is there a dedicated thread on this?

If you're interested in recording police injustice, don't do it on your phone. Police have worked with mobile phone companies to deploy hardware that will render the camera inoperable in "danger zone" areas. Use dedicated video cameras and still photo cameras to document

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

If you're interested in recording police injustice, don't do it on your phone. Police have worked with mobile phone companies to deploy hardware that will render the camera inoperable in "danger zone" areas. Use dedicated video cameras and still photo cameras to document

I'd like to read more about this if you have any links.

Because that's pretty hosed up. I can't imagine any possible justification for that other than trying to hide their crimes. There's always the nebulous "terror", but that's getting really worn out and would be a stretch anyway.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 12, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sub Par posted:

I mean I'm not in support of what the police are doing, but the "justice system" isn't "doing nothing about it". The FBI has opened a civil rights investigation, the St. Louis County police are investigating, and DOJ is monitoring the situation.

I will be surprised if this results in anything other than a costly lawsuit for the city regardless of if the DOJ or the FBI or whoever is watching. Pleasantly so however so let's hope!

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

I'd like to read more about this if you have any links.

Because that's pretty hosed up. I can't imagine any possible justification for that other than trying to hide their crimes. There's always the nebulous "terror", but that's getting really worn out and would be a stretch anyway.

patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-adv.htm&r=36&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=(20120828.PD.+AND+Apple.ASNM.)&OS=ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple&RS=(ISD/20120828+AND+AN/Apple)

quote:

Abstract
Apparatus and methods for changing one or more functional or operational aspects of a wireless device, such as upon the occurrence of a certain event. In one embodiment, the event comprises detecting that the wireless device is within range of one or more other devices. In another variant, the event comprises the wireless device associating with a certain access point. In this manner, various aspects of device functionality may be enabled or restricted (device "policies"). This policy enforcement capability is useful for a variety of reasons, including for example to disable noise and/or light emanating from wireless devices (such as at a movie theater), for preventing wireless devices from communicating with other wireless devices (such as in academic settings), and for forcing certain electronic devices to enter "sleep mode" when entering a sensitive area.

quote:

Covert police or government operations may require complete "blackout" conditions.

etc etc. IIRC it will affect the phone even on airplane mode because it's still sending/receiving basic signals

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Yeah, you really want an app that is sending the video to a remote location for when the police confiscate and/or destroy your phone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BiggerBoat posted:

You record something compromising the police did on your phone and post it on the internet. It is traced back to you, and police officers from that point on start pulling you over at a disproportionate rate, occasionally threatening you to "get out of our town". What do you do next?

>

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

JT Jag posted:

You record something compromising the police did on your phone and post it on the internet. It is traced back to you, and police officers from that point on start pulling you over at a disproportionate rate, occasionally threatening you to "get out of our town". What do you do next?

>

Embrace the Truman Show way of life and record yourself 24/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BiggerBoat posted:

And it needs to be stated again: the whole reason this was started was that the cops came to the wrong address for shoplifting and decided to grab Brown. They weren't at the right place, they didn't talk to any aggrieved party, they just decided Brown was a shoplifter on the basis that he was a young black man walking down the street.

Their initial story of how it went down - the Brown fought, shoved one of the cops into the car and the officer, fearing for himself and lying prone drew and shot, is contradicted by witnesses, forensics, and the after the fact photos.

The officer who shot immediately left the scene

They still have not released the name of the officer who shot Brown

In the past 14 years Ferguson PD has had numerous complaints about situations exactly like this - shooting people for not immediately complying - and has been investigated by county, state, and federal agencies for racial abuse and police misconduct. That's why the larger organizations were all over this as soon as it happened and have been running the press conferences and investigations.

If you want to see how incredibly out of hand this is with the police militarization try this
http://mic.com/articles/95998/days-after-michael-brown-s-death-ferguson-looks-like-a-war-zone

bassguitarhero posted:

I would like more information on this. Arranging that sounds exceptionally complicated.

• Locked thread