Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

open24hours posted:

Is it is more important for our society to be accepting of Islam or to condemn homophobia? If we allow people to move here with the full knowledge that they are or are very likely to be homophobic it would seem that we are currently erring on the side of religious freedom. If we introduced some sort of 'homophobia test' that would presumably count as a form of religious persecution?

The two aren't intrinsically linked though - if you moved to Australia and found that gay marriage was legal and that throwing around homophobic slurs or even homophobic violence was met with heavy punishment and social outcry you'd realise that poo poo doesn't fly here pretty quick, without ever specifically targeting one religion.

Sadly Australian society is a long way from that hypothetical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Let I, Joe Hockey, the richest man on the North Shore, enlighten you as to the consumption habits of the pleb

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

open24hours posted:

If they lied on the test and were subsequently found to be homophobic they would be deported.
That's an even dumber idea.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

rudatron posted:

That's an even dumber idea.

The practicality of the idea is irrelevant. For arguments sake assume it could be implemented in an effective way.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
just make them kiss a member of the same sex for a visa it will be hot we can put tv screens up all over the city and show the hottest kisses live

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Soag posted:

just make them kiss a member of the same sex for a visa it will be hot we can put tv screens up all over the city and show the hottest kisses live

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

If they lied on the test and were subsequently found to be homophobic they would be deported.

also if you make them swear to their god and they lied they would go to h e double hockey sticks

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Poor people don't generally drive very far in their cars because they live in the working class inner city suburbs such as brunswick, fitzrooh wait...

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Dubs posted:

Baumann?, another Newcastle MP at ICAC?

Watch us Newcastle retards re-elect LNP, because jobs.

Owen got in off a 2.6% margin. Newcastle has elected Labor members for its entire existence.

The Libs aren't getting back in off the back of this in Newcastle.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gough Suppressant posted:

Poor people don't generally drive very far in their cars because they live in the working class inner city suburbs such as brunswick, fitzrooh wait...

They're also too busy owning refrigerators.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107512/Moral-Issues-Divide-Westerners-From-Muslims-West.aspx
http://www.gallup.com/poll/107518/Religious-Americans-European-Muslims-Common-Ground.aspx
The gist of these 2008 polls is that European Muslims are much more conservative socially than the general European public but about on par with religious Americans (who are predominantly Christian). I also want to point out that Muslims in London are way more conservative than Muslims in Berlin or Paris, which you can make of what you will.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/107521/Common-Ground-Europeans-Muslims-Among-Them.aspx
w/r/t the death penalty, Americans love it, non-Americans of any religion hate it :v:

Anecdotally, which doesn't mean squat but I'm throwing it out there anyway, I was openly bisexual in high school, my best friend was a black Muslim, and none of the Muslims I knew had an issue with me. :shrug: America is very strange sometimes though.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

lmao

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

open24hours posted:

No gulag for them then?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Deported to the gulag archipelago, natch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hahahaha this owns

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
you know if we banned all gays this wouldn't be an issue

just sayin, is all...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Easily the best post of the week

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

quote:

The man who led a review of abuse allegations inside the defence force has raised doubts about the fitness to lead of every male who graduated as an officer between 1986 and 1998.

The force likely contains a significant number of middle or senior-ranked officers who raped fellow female cadets and could be bound for even more senior ranks, Gary Rumble has told a Senate inquiry.

That's because Defence failed to take effective action over allegations of abuse at the Australian Defence Force Academy.

Dr Rumble, who led what's known as the DLA Piper review, said the only way to get to the bottom of the allegations is with a royal commission.

His review revealed myriad incidents of sexual and other abuse dating back decades.

Dr Rumble said there was a history of sexual assault and defence mismanagement from the time ADFA opened in Canberra in 1986, peaking in the 1990s and diminishing but not disappearing entirely following reforms in 1998.

There was a very high risk officers in middle and senior management positions with potential to rise further, who were cadets at ADFA, raped or committed other serious sexual assaults on other cadets or did not intervene, he told a hearing of the inquiry in Canberra on Wednesday.

Dr Rumble said it was likely there were many more perpetrators than the so-called ADFA 24.

That case relates to 15 cases of rape and nine of sexual assault allegedly committed by male ADFA cadets against female cadets between 1994 and 1998.

They were never properly investigated at the time.

The royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse was a model of how the allegations could be investigated, Dr Rumble said.

Defence Minister David Johnston said the Defence Abuse Response Taskforce was now reviewing calls for a royal commission.

It also was seeking to provide restorative justice to victims on the basis that they had been treated badly.

Senator Johnston said there appeared to be an "understandable" reluctance by many victims to suffer the trauma of telling their story to a royal commission.

They likely would have to revisit events "blow by blow, event by event and all of the terrible things that have happened to them'.

"It's clear that they don't want that."

However, Senator Johnston left the door open for a royal commission if there were a number of complainants making that demand.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0813-3dmrj.html

quote:

Treasurer Joe Hockey is facing a fresh round of criticism for being out of touch and not understanding the impact of his budget on the less well off after suggesting “poorest people either don't have cars or actually don't drive very far in many cases”.

Mr Hockey made the comments on Wednesday as he argued the government's proposed rise in fuel excise was a progressive measure that would cost people on middle and higher incomes more.

The Treasurer said the Coalition was asking "everyone to contribute, including higher income people" by restarting indexation of fuel excise, a measure Labor has labelled a new fuel tax.

Contrary to Mr Hockey's claim, a 2001 research paper from the Parliamentary Library states that "petrol and diesel excises are regressive in that people on low incomes pay a higher proportion of their incomes in the form of excise than people on high incomes, given the same level of fuel use".

And in a June 2014 submission to the Senate Economics Committee inquiry into the proposed excise rise, the Australian Automobile Association stated that: "Research indicates that the people who use their cars most frequently are in the outer metropolitan areas and rural and regional areas where there are lower incomes, less jobs, and little or no access to public transport"

"The AAA is concerned that individuals in these areas will bear the highest cost increases of indexation changes."

Labor leader Bill Shorten, welfare groups and crossbench senator Ricky Muir have rounded on Mr Hockey, labelling the Treasurer's suggestion fallacious and based on incorrect assumptions.

“Are you serious, Joe Hockey? Are you really the cigar chomping, Foghorn Leghorn of Australian politics where you're saying that poor people don't drive cars?," Mr Shorten said.

“Joe Hockey says [poorer Australians] don't drive cars yet they don't give them another alternative. It is almost as if the Treasurer believes that poor people should be sleeping in their cars, not driving their cars.”

St Vincent de Paul Society chief executive John Falzon said the claim was “completely fallacious”.

“This is a massive assumption on the Treasurer's part. In fact many low income households are heavily dependent on quite old motor vehicles that are not terribly fuel efficient as their only means of transport," he said.

“Cheaper housing is often located in areas far from necessary infrastructure and jobs and so they find themselves having to travel long distances at times. And they are often very poorly served by public transport.”

Uniting Care National Director Lin Hatfield-Dodds said the rise in fuel excise would disproportionately affect poorer people.

“Proportional to their income, these sorts of measures end up costing people who are poor more than people who are wealthy," she said.

“That's just maths,' she said

“To put the fuel excise up as an example of fairness in the budget is a bit of a stretch, if we want to make the budget fairer we could look at less impact overall on vulnerable Australians and more impact on people who can afford to meet the costs.”

Australian Motoring Enthusiast Party Senator Ricky Muir said that in rural and regional areas, people needed to use their cars, "regardless of wealth".

"Coming from the country, I know firsthand, when you live a fair distance from work and there's no public transport, people from all backgrounds use their vehicles a lot."

Summary: Joe Hockey hasn't connected that people living in poorer areas with no infrastructure may rely on cars more than those with significant resources in areas with good infrastructure, Gets Paul Keating'd by Bill Shorten, is on the wrong side of Ricky Muir.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

There's some stiff competition, but I think that the Joe Hockey should be awarded the prize for most incompetent coalition minister thus far

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Haters Objector posted:

There's some stiff competition, but I think that the Joe Hockey should be awarded the prize for most incompetent coalition minister thus far

Can we get a trophy made for him?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are all the Coalition's policies formulated on the basis of gut-feelings and random anecdotes? Because it seems like they've done practically no research, not even preliminary research, in the areas in which they're trying to pass legislation. A moment's thought would tell you that poorer people will be hit harder than the richer on average by an increase in the fuel excise.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Orkin Mang posted:

Are all the Coalition's policies formulated on the basis of gut-feelings and random anecdotes? Because it seems like they've done practically no research, not even preliminary research, in the areas in which they're trying to pass legislation. A moment's thought would tell you that poorer people will be hit harder than the richer on average by an increase in the fuel excise.

Ideology plays a part too.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Orkin Mang posted:

It's not that they don't know, it's that they don't care.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I would ask "What happened to the Liberals to make them this way? What forces of otherisation are preventing them from integrating?"

what the gently caress is up with your avatar and text?

Its like a bogan bumper sticker.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

webmeister posted:

It's not that they don't know, it's that they don't care.

It's more complex than that. Each of the ministers is trying to shape their legacy deliberately. Hockey has chosen "balancing the budget" as his, but this goes against what the people of Australia really need at this time, which is "certainty" and "help".

Edit: I guess I'm saying that it's not that they don't care, it's more that they care -more- about the budget being in the black, and what they'll be remembered for. Which is kinda dumb.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They have research, it just says that they're full of poo poo. So they ignore it and keep chugging on.

urseus
Apr 30, 2002

~*My Little Kony*~
I'm sure you guys saw that video floating around facebook of that US journalist on the panel giving a muslim student a serve about islam and moderates and comparing them to nazis, in that only a small amount of extremists were required to carry out horrendous acts. What are people's thoughts on that video? Why is it incorrect? Maybe not now but 50 years from now based on current growth of the religion in all countries?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If only we listened to those moderate Nazis :(

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
Yeah - we know now from the latest FOI request that when Hockey/Shepherd/Dutton were all talking about on average Australians see a GP 11 times a year they were lying. They were quoting the average number of times an aged pensioner sees a GP a year.

They are dishonest and stupid as it left anyone who studies this area scratching out heads going :psyduck:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I am terrified of 150 Muslims AMA about liberal democracy under capital.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Haters Objector posted:

Carved from his own rendered lipsuctioned fat into the shape of a cigar. It will be called the Hockey Stick.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

urseus posted:

I'm sure you guys saw that video floating around facebook of that US journalist on the panel giving a muslim student a serve about islam and moderates and comparing them to nazis, in that only a small amount of extremists were required to carry out horrendous acts. What are people's thoughts on that video? Why is it incorrect? Maybe not now but 50 years from now based on current growth of the religion in all countries?

youre a loving idiot

a silent majority in a nation state is completely different to an occasionally-silent, occasionally loudly-critical, ocassionally condoning trans-national religious community with no borders, elected government, or levers of power

and if you cant see why please kill you are self

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hey guys, all religion is actually terrible, hth.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
Not mine Reform Judaism owns

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

How dare you raise doubts about are brave rapists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

quote:

“Protecting people from murder at the hands of ISIL terrorists is a humanitarian cause ...and Australia has a long and proud tradition of assisting people in need

• Locked thread