Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
Why do people continuously ruin viragos instead of buying a bike that isn't slow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Minkee posted:

Why do people continuously ruin viragos instead of buying a bike that isn't slow?

Better to ruin a virago than a nice bike?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
True at least it wasn't another Honda that was the victim this time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I didn't consider the 250 slow by any means. I easily rode at freeway speeds and even buried the needle at ~95 several times.

Poopy
Jul 31, 2010

Pope Mobile posted:

Not sure about how it would work with that seat, but I put drag bars on with a stock seat and it was pretty comfy.

Might try it.

As for "ruining a Virago", it's my bike, and I don't see it as ruining it. Also, I got hit by a car and had to replace a whole bunch of parts (tank, headlight, indicators, rear guard, handlebars) so I am using bits I like, and can afford, as opposed to original parts.
I don't think it's a slow bike at all, but what it is is short, which is handy when you have really short legs like me.

Edit: spelling good is not my strong point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I didn't consider the 250 slow by any means. I easily rode at freeway speeds and even buried the needle at ~95 several times.

Actual speed: 75mph.

Got no opinion on viragos one way or the other but lovely bikes tend to have mushroom-level speedo optimism. I remember my ex's RG150 gamma would read 135km/h when it was doing 110.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
So happens when you hit a wet spot or ride in the rain? Does your rear wheel just completely soak you?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

notZaar posted:

So happens when you hit a wet spot or ride in the rain? Does your rear wheel just completely soak you?

lol if you think any custom bike/chopper/bobber gets ridden any time except the sunniest of summer sundays

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

notZaar posted:

Poopy posted:

Just waiting on the new tank and rear guard to get back from the painters, and it'll be rideable again! Not sure if I'll keep the clubman bars, it makes for a strange riding position.

Sounds like the fender is going to be put back in place.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

notZaar posted:

I didn't realize that was possible without a fuel tank.

Minkee posted:

I assume you are joking.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 13, 2014

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
This is turning into AI's hellaflush Witch Hunts

Poopy posted:

it's my bike, and I don't see it as ruining it

This is all that matters

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I thought maybe it had some kind of bizarre ultra small fuel tank. I wasn't trying to bash your bike, just curious.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
bunch of elitist self righteous opinions ITT

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 13, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No backrest, unsafe when using throttle.

EkardNT
Mar 31, 2011

rotaryfun posted:

What bike is this? Its gorgeous.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

EkardNT posted:

FZ8 I believe, it's been replaced with the FZ-09, which has an underbelly exhaust. It's Yamaha's answer to the Speed/Street Triple. I want.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

EkardNT posted:

Thanks!

It's an 09 FZ1 that's had the euro style front end conversion done.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

That makes more sense in the context of the current discussion. But yeah looks goodOH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU RUINED IT!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Tanbo posted:

That makes more sense in the context of the current discussion. But yeah looks goodOH MY GOD WHAT HAVE YOU DONE YOU RUINED IT!

I think you're missing the point on people talking poo poo on motorcycle modifications. Someone who does a Euro conversion on a bike and keeps the functional bits, like, you know, modern tires, suspension and handlebars, etc. are doing something that allows them to enjoy the bike. The people who chop up frames, put balloon tires on a bike, "custom" gas tanks and unreachable bars to get "the look" (and in the process turn an otherwise good bike into an un-rideable piece of poo poo) are the ones who are trying to turn a motorcycle into a fashion accessory like a handbag.

I view the hate on motorcycle hipsters to be the same thing as people talking poo poo on the ricer fad 10 years ago, where people were buying 1995 Honda Civics and slapping obnoxious body kits on them, cutting the springs and gutting the mufflers. People were doing it for the fashion then, and the motorcycle fad is all about fashion now.

I think rotaryfun did a nice job on his/her bike because it looks decent and keeps all of the wonderful poo poo that makes a good motorcycle good. Now if (s)he had bought a 1977 Honda CB750, ripped off the handle bars and threw on a set of badly-aligned clubmans, installed ancient lovely tires, left the engine leaking oil for the "aged look" and then rode around with a 3/4 helmet with his/her buddies in flannel shirts, only far enough to get to the local hipster bar where they buy a six-pack of PBR and talk about their latest twee music purchases on vinyl, then yes, he/she would be a complete loving jackass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is it because you don't like what was done to the bikes, or because you don't like "hipsters"? I am having a hard time figuring it out.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

clutchpuck posted:

Is it because you don't like what was done to the bikes, or because you don't like "hipsters"? I am having a hard time figuring it out.

Here's a little experiment for you: Let's say you take your car, and you start modifying it to look like a machine you'll take to the Bonneville Salt Flats to try to get a land speed record. So you install some new bodywork, you make some ground-effect spoiler things, you put a small wing on the rear, shave the mirrors, then tape off all the seams on the hood and doors. You slap a bunch of stickers on the outside of the car, put some numbers on it, and make it look like it's prepped to go racing. Then you get into the car, drive to the bar, and talk about how much you love speed.

How is that any different than this?

Edit: I should clarify further - making a bike harder to ride by modifying the components in a stupid way is just as dumb as making a car harder to drive in the name of fashion. The modifications are stupid and the people who do it are doubly-so. Right now these modifiers tend to be hipster, but I don't give any slack to people who install loving stretched leading-link Bobber forks on H-D's either.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tanbo posted:

You dont really get it. He would have ruined it if he replaced the rear suspension with rebar to make a hardtail, ripped the front brakes off and replaced the tires with poo poo that was out of date in the 70's.

Oh, and exhaust wrap, always never dont wrap your exhaust

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
TL;DR:

Ripoff posted:

I care way too much about what other people do to their stuff.

Content: two endangered beasts in the wild!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

I'll say again, this is just a fantastic looking bike. No offense to the people on here who own the half-faired variety, but they're desperately ugly and I'd never own one. That, on the other hand, makes me want one quite badly.

clutchpuck posted:

TL;DR:

Content: two endangered beasts in the wild!

I'm assuming one is there to supply parts for the other :v:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
"RAAAHHH! I am mad because of how someone else chooses to enjoy things that don't directly affect me!!"

Now, let me just piss some people off with my first two bikes really quick...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I generally bite my tongue on the custom bikes here -- which should impress you if you're familiar with Hnasty's blog I co-write on -- and I'll continue to as it regards the bikes just posted, but honestly, why am I or anyone else expected not to ever say anything negative about any bike posted on here? What is this, the homegroan section of DPPH? If I post pics of my bikes I don't expect people to be pretend they like them. Say what you goddamn like. I don't see the problem with disagreeing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's more the issue of a bandwagon dogpile happening after one person in the core AI group publicly says something negative about whatever.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Akion posted:

"RAAAHHH! I am mad because of how someone else chooses to enjoy things that don't directly affect me!!"

Not everyone has to like your stuff, it has nothing to do with being mad. You and everyone else who claims to not understand the hate just can't believe that someone might not like your polished turd. So of course they have to be irrationally angry or whatever.

rotaryfun posted:

converted FZ 4 EVA
half faired FZ NEVA

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was more poking fun at the people that seem genuinely upset about how other people choose to enjoy their motorcycles.

I ride a DRZ400SM for gods sake. You want to talk about an awkward looking piece of machinery? If I see a guy on a badly cafe'd Virago, I might snort and think to myself that it's an ugly-rear end bike, but I'm not going to expend the mental energy to actually get mad about it. Dude is enjoying himself, who gives a poo poo how he does it as long as he doesn't wreck into me?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
People should get over comments on the internet. Plenty of people hate my bike. I ride a GS500e.

SHOULD HAVE GOT A SV650.
SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 600.
LOL SUZUKI.

Now should I get a cafe seat and some M bars guys? I do live in Austin.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Minkee posted:

People should get over comments on the internet. Plenty of people hate my bike. I ride a GS500e.

SHOULD HAVE GOT A SV650.
SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN A 600.
LOL SUZUKI.

Now should I get a cafe seat and some M bars guys? I do live in Austin.

If it makes you happy, yes.

BRB - putting clubmans on my DRZ.

EDIT: Dammit, room mate already put them on his XS. :(

Akion fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 14, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Akion posted:

I was more poking fun at the people that seem genuinely upset about how other people choose to enjoy their motorcycles.

I ride a DRZ400SM for gods sake. You want to talk about an awkward looking piece of machinery? If I see a guy on a badly cafe'd Virago, I might snort and think to myself that it's an ugly-rear end bike, but I'm not going to expend the mental energy to actually get mad about it. Dude is enjoying himself, who gives a poo poo how he does it as long as he doesn't wreck into me?

That's what I'm saying. Those people don't exist. They aren't mad.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Akion posted:

Every worthwhile pursuit is eventually invaded by parasites with bolt-on solutions and miracles in a can. They prey on the not-so-gifted and capitalize on our worst impulses: I want to be seen, heard, and respected, now, preferably without reading or expending energy. Not far from City of Industry, California, an executive from Pilot Automotive is picking out a yacht because he had the foresight to keep the fake car cell phone antenna in production. Try decoding the mindset of this consumer.

Likewise, these pursuits have a circle of self-appointed guardians, most of them full of poo poo, and some with a sincere interest in preserving heritage and saving people from themselves. With motorcycling, this is a lost cause. There should probably be a CA, You Were Right, I Was Wroohaighhuhaw thread. I'd be good for half a dozen entries. I'm guilty of anthropomorphism when it comes to these machines--I once spotted a neglected CB360 in a Grand Rapids basement and hauled it out of there on principle. I saw it the way others might see a starved and beaten dog, and I see ill-conceived hack jobs the same way.

I love what you've done with these bikes. They didn't lose their utility. They went places. You learned something. Maybe, you know, you bothered to sketch them out in advance and think about proportion and ergos before firing up the torch.

My problem (and I suspect this is true of some further up the thread) is with uninformed improvisation that results in barely roadworthy abortions that are in turn marketed to people who don't know any better. They're mistakes, not visions--the "builder" has clearly painted him/herself into a corner, and ruined a bike in the process. Someday--if it hasn't happened already--some moron is going to get his hands on a '69 Sandcast and start hacking. Would people on this forum have a duty to bitch and moan? HELL YES.

As always, this is a conversation that begins to circle the drain when you introduce fashion, lifestyle, age groups, etc. I'm staying out of that one--I like Grand Marnier and PBR.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Poopy posted:

I bought my first bike at the end of last year, a Yamaha Virago 250cc
This is what it looked like when I bought it - completely stock.

Now, 9 months and one accident later, it looks like this:

Just waiting on the new tank and rear guard to get back from the painters, and it'll be rideable again! Not sure if I'll keep the clubman bars, it makes for a strange riding position.

I know I'm late to the party but with the forward control and those bars this is what I imagine the riding position to be like

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

converted FZ 4 EVA
half faired FZ NEVA

I really wish I knew someone local with an FZ8 or a converted 1 so I could see how good the single headlight on them is compared to my dual lights. I do enough riding at night (coming home from work) that I'm not willing to sacrifice great lights just to de-ugly my bike. :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a nice stock bike to calm everybody down.

...Alright I'm just posting it because I'm still in love with it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:allears: tell me more stories grampa marv

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

M42 posted:

:allears: tell me more stories grampa marv

You're Right. I Was Wroohaighhuhaw. :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

I remember that CB360 and I have no recollection of any plans for clubman bars, cafe style seat, or cheap Chinese fairings...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

HotCanadianChick posted:

I really wish I knew someone local with an FZ8 or a converted 1 so I could see how good the single headlight on them is compared to my dual lights. I do enough riding at night (coming home from work) that I'm not willing to sacrifice great lights just to de-ugly my bike. :(

Mine is pretty bad, I usually flick the high beam on when I ride at night unless there is oncoming traffic. Night time is always ride conservative time anyway.