Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Apparently MRAP ambulances aren't unheard of:

Something like this could really come in handy if there's an emergency and roads are impassible to regular vehicles due to heavy snow or flooding.

That thing would look completely ridiculous outside a war zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bring back the :killdozer:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

It would be cool if there was some sort of "swords to plowshares" program that could retrofit those MRAPs into huge fuckoff snow plows, all-terrain ambulances and rescue vehicles, or kickass school buses. You know, poo poo we could actually use, instead of instruments of police intimidation at worst or parade floats for corrupt county sheriffs at best.

They get something like 5 mpg.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

That thing would look completely ridiculous outside a war zone.

The aftermath of a major industrial or natural disaster isn't all that far from a war zone.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

haveblue posted:

The aftermath of a major industrial or natural disaster isn't all that far from a war zone.

Yeah, but this could do almost everything that does with the upshot of being far more practical.

Is there a place for MRAPs as emergency vehicles? Sure, in the hands of like the National Guard, not local police or whatever. I mean, if it's that level of disaster, they're going to be involved.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm not going to complain about MRAPs being in the hands of emergency medical personnel. Much better that they have it than selling them to Triple Canopy.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

zoux posted:

Who had four posts?

Machine guns don't take clips.

Pretty sure the M249 does. And I think some police departments have them.

E: gently caress, I'm doing gunchat. My apologies. Er. Shall we talk about guitars till the guns go away?

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 15, 2014

Gimby
Sep 6, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, but this could do almost everything that does with the upshot of being far more practical.

Is there a place for MRAPs as emergency vehicles? Sure, in the hands of like the National Guard, not local police or whatever. I mean, if it's that level of disaster, they're going to be involved.

I do sometimes wonder whether there would be mileage in converting one or more of the big aircraft carriers into dedicated disaster response platforms - lots of room for transporting assorted equipment, can support search and rescue aircraft, could hook the reactor up to provide power or purify water, that kind of thing.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Gimby posted:

I do sometimes wonder whether there would be mileage in converting one or more of the big aircraft carriers into dedicated disaster response platforms - lots of room for transporting assorted equipment, can support search and rescue aircraft, could hook the reactor up to provide power or purify water, that kind of thing.

No.

For a better response, the Navy already does this.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zeitgueist posted:

"Learn English or leave" - a country that had a significant number of German-primary-language schools within the last 75 years and has 40 million Spanish speakers currently

What point were you trying to make here? The xenophobes hated the German speakers 75 years ago and they hate the Spanish speakers now. They see the existence of those people as a problem to be solved, because they are xenophobes.

An official US Government propaganda depiction of Germans 97 years ago:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gimby posted:

Oil tanker, but yeah.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And if you mean the Big E, or another retired one - they're being retired because they're beat to hell and no longer trustworthy at sea.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

What point were you trying to make here? The xenophobes hated the German speakers 75 years ago and they hate the Spanish speakers now. They see the existence of those people as a problem to be solved, because they are xenophobes.

An official US Government propaganda depiction of Germans 97 years ago:

First off, you missed his point. Second, way to reference an enlistment poster decrying a country who was seen as actively aggressive and economically preeminent who we would very soon be at war with... which would seem to be counter to your lovely point.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 15, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boon posted:

First off, you missed his point. Second, way to reference an enlistment poster decrying a country who was seen as actively aggressive and economically preeminent who we would very soon be at war with... which would seem to be counter to your lovely point.

You don't understand early 20th century xenophobia very well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

You don't understand early 20th century xenophobia very well.

No I get it. It's not really any different than any other form of xenophobia conceptually. However, you seem to have missed the point again, which is that the guy you quoted was being sarcastic.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
The difference between an MRAP and a vehicle designed to deal with destroyed roads/terrain after a natural disaster is that one of them is built to be IED resistant. Even Old Testament God did not include IEDs in his natural disasters.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boon posted:

No I get it. It's not really any different than any other form of xenophobia conceptually. However, you seem to have missed the point again, which is that the guy you quoted was being sarcastic.

Being sarcastic with the implication that xenophobes are wrong because there's a lot of the people they hate "here". When Cenophobia is wrong in and of itself.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

A Winner is Jew posted:

:wtc: are we doing giving those things to states like NM, OK, SC, TN, AL, LA for?

War's winding down, and production was halted in 2012. The contractors still want to make money, so keeping them in service for parts and maintenance is just good business.

ReidRansom posted:

This is a really good idea, honestly. It seems every bumfuck little town has a police Humvee they got free through a surplus program, but they'd be put to far better use as ambulances/rescue vehicles for rural paramedics. A bit of googling tells me this isn't terribly common for whatever reason.

A lot of rural roads and bridges aren't built to handle them.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 15, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gimby posted:

I did this as a first responder to Katrina.

Didn't work out as well as we hoped because the coast was so messed up and the pier gone that instead of pulling up and hooking the cables up to provide power and steam, we had to sit off the coast of Alabama so we didn't run aground. But they basically brought in giant freight boxes full of MREs, clothes, stable medical supplies and bottles water, tossed on a few dozen extra docs, loaded up one of our chilled spaces with temperature controlled medicine. We blew down there really fast and started using RHIBs and helicopters to land support and doing underway transfers with the smaller ships that could head in to load them up with the supplies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hank Johnson (D-GA) has introduced the Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act, which would prevent the transfer of some automatic weapons, armored vehicles, armored drones, silencers and flash-bang or stun grenades to local law enforcement.

Of course, this is a bill sponsored by a House Democrat so it's chances of going anywhere are roughly zero.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

SquadronROE posted:

Check out the bling.

What the gently caress is that?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cigar Aficionado posted:

It's something that he let Steven Seagal crash into a guy's house to break up a cockfighting ring.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

Hank Johnson (D-GA) has introduced the Stop Militarizing Law Enforcement Act, which would prevent the transfer of some automatic weapons, armored vehicles, armored drones, silencers and flash-bang or stun grenades to local law enforcement.

Of course, this is a bill sponsored by a House Democrat so it's chances of going anywhere are roughly zero.

Cruz'd that for you

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Self Propelled Gun, gotta shell those drugs with high explosive ordinance.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

And a non-white House Democrat at that.

No chance in hell.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Today in Bqhatevwr.

I don't think Scott Brown finished this episode of the West Wing, because if he had, he'd know this strategy backfired on Matt Santos pretty bad.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Cigar Aficionado posted:

A self propelled artillery piece so sheriff joe can pretend to have a dick sometimes. There's no way for him or his force to operate the gun so it's just for show and/or ramming things.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A self propelled artillery piece so sheriff joe can pretend to have a dick sometimes. There's no way for him or his force to operate the gun so it's just for show and/or ramming things.

Pretty much, why can't he be a normal fat rear end douche with erectile dysfunction and buy a Porsche?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Why spend your own money when the people who elect you are more than willing to give you the money for it?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

SquadronROE posted:

Check out the bling.

The "Blasting Away at Drugs" text seems a bit on-the-nose.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

bassguitarhero posted:

Black guy picks up a toy rifle in Walmart and gets shot by the police, meanwhile white people are angry because Starbucks doesn't want them to come in openly carrying their rifles and shotguns.

Had the protestors in Ferguson picked up guns they would have called in airstrikes at this point.

Literally

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They get something like 5 mpg.

Is it armored? (I don't know anything about military vehicles) If it's armored, you'd get better mileage after stripping the armor. I mean, snow plows can't be getting much better than 10-12mpg, right?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
War on drugs.

So he's going to literally shoot at drugs with a tank?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cigar Aficionado posted:

War on drugs.

So he's going to literally shoot at drugs with a tank?

That would probably produce fewer human rights violations than the normal tactics of his police department, sadly.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Since the Missouri State Police took over, Captain Ron Johnson is the one assigned to take over Ferguson Law Enforcement. Here he is, engaging and walking with the protesters.

"“We are going to have a different approach and have the approach that we’re in this together,” Johnson told reporters Thursday. “I understand the anger and fear that the citizens of Ferguson are feeling, and our officers will respect both of those.”"
Seems like a cool dude. He also has personal touch to the area and is from a nearby town.

"Johnson, an African American, is a 27-year veteran of the highway patrol and currently oversees Troop C, which covers 11 counties including St. Louis."

News article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/14/meet-the-missouri-highway-state-patrol-captain-who-is-taking-over-in-ferguson/

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2014

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Joementum posted:

It's something that he let Steven Seagal crash into a guy's house to break up a cockfighting ring.

No loving way. :stonk:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

isildur posted:

Is it armored? (I don't know anything about military vehicles) If it's armored, you'd get better mileage after stripping the armor. I mean, snow plows can't be getting much better than 10-12mpg, right?

Against anything you would see on the street, yeah. If they get the add on standoff-slat package (there's probably a more technical term for that) it will take an RPG, too. And it's designed to protect occupants from an IED, though it might not be drivable afterwards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VikingofRock posted:

Yes way.

Basically this sums up Arpaio's district:

Nintendo Kid posted:

That would probably produce fewer human rights violations than the normal tactics of his police department, sadly.

In short: there's more, it's always worse, it's basically what happens when you mix Law Enforcement, Condensed Freep and a large dash of corruption that makes him untouchable.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Vahakyla posted:

Since the Missouri State Police took over, Captain Ron Johnson is the one assigned to take over Ferguson Law Enforcement. Here he is, engaging and walking with the protesters.

"“We are going to have a different approach and have the approach that we’re in this together,” Johnson told reporters Thursday. “I understand the anger and fear that the citizens of Ferguson are feeling, and our officers will respect both of those.”"
Seems like a cool dude. He also has personal touch to the area and is from a nearby town.

"Johnson, an African American, is a 27-year veteran of the highway patrol and currently oversees Troop C, which covers 11 counties including St. Louis."

News article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/08/14/meet-the-missouri-highway-state-patrol-captain-who-is-taking-over-in-ferguson/

It's like night and day, getting someone out there who tried applying community policing instead of naked force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

VikingofRock posted:

Read up on the event if you haven't heard about it already. It was even more absurd than you're probably guessing!

• Locked thread