Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Hey, I think Hayes is worth a flyer (he's as close to a free prospect as you can find and would be an RFA after the contract, so why the hell not?). But that's true for most teams, not just Calgary. I just can't see Hartley buying into the idea of playing three rookies together because of their college success unless they had immediate NHL success.

It's still a good idea for Calgary to sign him, but who he went to school with is a pretty small part of that. (The fact he's a 1st round NHL pick who put up big college numbers - regardless of the factors - is a big part of that.)

Yeah I'm not suggesting he would or should throw them together right away, but I could see them eventually trying it out at some point if they got all three, hell maybe even in preseason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

11-5 Canada over USA at the Ivan Hlinka tournament. :aaa: Not sure what they're feeding our boys these days, but man they pretty much just overpowered them. You'd think you let in five goals that'd be a loss or at best tight game normally, especially against a team that has some degree of caliber like USA, but nope. Czech Republic could provide a challenge for sure though and I'd imagine Canada ends up in it's first really close game of the tournament as a final should be. I mean they've been rock solid all tournament too and haven't lost a game either, but the steamroller just kind of looks in full motion now for Canada on the way to gold medal 7 and like they're the favorites going in on paper.

In other news Russia finally won a game for 7th place against Slovakia. Good for them. :tipshat:

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 15, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Wayne Gretzky posted:

On the other hand expansion and outdoor games have significantly increased hockey's popularity in non traditional areas.

wouldn't you say this is (somewhat) related to hockey becoming more 'safety' focused? Less fights, higher glass, no head shots etc. or do you think they're unrelated?

Rotten Cookies posted:

This is the Isle's last season at the Coliseum, so cheap seats (like $7 seats) might be a thing of the past next year.

also 7. Dollar. Seats. :suicide:

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 15, 2014

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

JawKnee posted:

wouldn't you say this is (somewhat) related to hockey becoming more 'safety' focused? Less fights, higher glass, no head shots etc. or do you think they're unrelated?

people who might watch a game on tv or whatever probably dont really give a poo poo about the safety of the players. parents of children who might play the game probably do.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

jsoh posted:

people who might watch a game on tv or whatever probably dont really give a poo poo about the safety of the players. parents of children who might play the game probably do.

Sure, but I meant more that increased exposure kind of puts more of a media spotlight on you. Or is it just inevitable that after a certain amount of time/injuries, any sport has to get safer

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JawKnee posted:

Considering how much the American south loves football, NASCAR, and combat sports, I don't think safety is a huge concern in the sports they play/watch. Increased exposure around the country isn't likely to change those attitudes either. I'm not sure if this post directly relates to what you're getting at though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

:sigh: I used to like August, you know.

complain or post something interesting, hmm

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

complain or post something interesting, hmm

This post is recursive

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I am aware of the hypocrisy!

e: also I posted about Ska music earlier so I feel kind of bad because you are a legit good poster Flakeloaf. Just LOTS of other posts bemoaning august posting.

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 16, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Considering how much the American south loves football, NASCAR, and combat sports, I don't think safety is a huge concern in the sports they play/watch. Increased exposure around the country isn't likely to change those attitudes either. I'm not sure if this post directly relates to what you're getting at though.

Guy just killed someone on purpose in NASCAR and all anyone is mad about is that he isn't racing.

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
PK's doing the Ice Bucket Challenge live on City News:canada: very shortly for all those that are interested.

It's going to involve a dump truck. Probably the same one he's going to keep all his money in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm not sure I'd want a dump truck pouring water on me, they aren't exactly discriminate about what they haul in those things.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Bjay9 posted:

PK's doing the Ice Bucket Challenge live on City News:canada: very shortly for all those that are interested.

It's going to involve a dump truck. Probably the same one he's going to keep all his money in.

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure I'd want a dump truck pouring water on me, they aren't exactly discriminate about what they haul in those things.

Exclusive preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27Jcaba1iv8

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

JoelJoel posted:

BetaMAX tapes. Seriously, many stations used them up until they were forced to go HD (which was like 45 mins ago)

Pages and pages ago, but HD BetaMAX still exists and is used professionally.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Vicas posted:

lmao did they seriously just give us platinum tags

What they should do is change the color of the tag based on how much money we've spent on our accounts. Then I'll be really embarrassed.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/08/15/watch-p-k-subban-joining-citynews-in-the-ice-bucket-challenge-for-als/

Well, alright.

e:

quote:

if Therrien was there he surely would've limited the amount of ice PK saw

https://twitter.com/Habarnac/status/500407808949764097

Daaaamn

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 16, 2014

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

quote:

Since then several prominent athletes have accepted the challenge, including Arizona Coyotes tough guy Paul Bissonnette.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Was he wearing his cup on the outside of his clothing?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
http://instagram.com/p/rvREPmovm_/

If Pronger is able to do the ice bucket challenge then he's healthy enough to play hockey :colbert:

Dak02
Nov 23, 2003

SPARE SOME CHANGE??

Austrian mook posted:

Silf has been signed for one year. Ugh, hopefully we can lock him up long-term after this so I can have no worries about buying his jersey. Also: Sami Vatanen

Murray(Mcnab) is a wizard. Signed him for less than what he made last year. This is definitely a "show us what you can do when healthy" contract

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Tedenby has returned to Sweden and his hometown team HV71. Dunno if it were mentioned here.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Dak02 posted:

Murray(Mcnab) is a wizard. Signed him for less than what he made last year. This is definitely a "show us what you can do when healthy" contract

On the flipside its also him saying "sweet if they stick me with Kesler watch my numbers go the gently caress up I'm getting paiiiiiid bitches"

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:

Vicas posted:

i want this kid to make it so i can start going to Islanders games, first for the cheap seats but then for my love of the Ho-Sang

Hey RottenCookies and I are going to try to form a carpool system for Isles games as the Coliseum, contact one of us and I'm sure we can grab you for a game... @thebrownjesus

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

Hey RottenCookies and I are going to try to form a carpool system for Isles games as the Coliseum, contact one of us and I'm sure we can grab you for a game... @thebrownjesus

or @niceonewern since I am a poor who doesn't have plat. But then, you knew that already.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
I'll be at a lot of games but I won't be carpooling. sorry. you can find me at the games by looking for the really cool guy

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm the drunk guy in the cheap seats, yelling inappropriate things in front of children.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you see me, don't come say hi.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I'm the guy banging the glass when the puck gets near.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm the guy in a Ducks jersey at some Vancouver Calgary game cheering when the ducks score comes on

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I'll be in the luxury suite where I don't have to interact with you non-plat peasants

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Shyfted One posted:

I'll be in the luxury suite where I don't have to interact with you non-plat peasants

I'd spend money on my account but I'm pretty sure that goes away when you get banned.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Austrian mook posted:

I'm the guy in a Ducks jersey at some Vancouver Calgary game cheering when the ducks score comes on

You should just go all out and get a Mickey Mouse or a Goofy jersey and wear that to games.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Wonderllama posted:

I'm the guy banging the glass when the puck gets near.

The guy who did this in Dallas tried to build a brand, was told by the team to stop, threw a huge Twitter hissyfit, then started RTing his parody accounts making fun of him and telling his followers to report them.

People who want to be celebrities at the game are the fuckin' worst.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DOOMocrat posted:

The guy who did this in Dallas tried to build a brand, was told by the team to stop, threw a huge Twitter hissyfit, then started RTing his parody accounts making fun of him and telling his followers to report them.

"Yeah, I'm the glass hitter guy, I'm kind of a big deal :whatup: "

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

DOOMocrat posted:

What's wrong with the green men?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Capstronaut > all other 'rink personalities'

rip Capstronaut, godspeed

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm the drunk guy in the cheap seats, yelling inappropriate things in front of children.

Interesting choice of parachute account, Fateo.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Veskit posted:

They are so punk rock and edgy and just in it for the team, now would you kindly support the podcast advertisers and buy the book?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Veskit posted:

Superfans eventually make the game be about themselves, not the team, and think that rules don't apply to them because they're "famous"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

D C posted:

You should just go all out and get a Mickey Mouse or a Goofy jersey and wear that to games.

I would buy an anaheim ducks mickey mouse jersey, although disney is no longer affiliated with the team. Sorry you had to find out like this, D C.

• Locked thread