Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

SirKibbles posted:

The death penalty for massive corruption doesn't lower corruption rates in China.

That comparison is probably more complex than just that, not that I think the death penalty would help here in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chantilly Say posted:

That comparison is probably more complex than just that, not that I think the death penalty would help here in the States.

The penalty should be capped income to poverty level.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

This makes me think Tom DeLay is a drat genius. That could have been his official photo.

ReindeerF posted:

Okay, in that case can you make the legal case here against Perry? Because I've never liked the guy, I'd love to see him brought up on charges if they're legit, but the Travis County DA's office is what it is and this charge even sounds bogus to me.

It doesn't really matter how much of an idiot the elected official in question was. From certain angles I agree that it doesn't sound so bad. When you boil it down, though, he attempted to use his veto power directly as a bargaining chip to allow him to appoint an elected position typically held by the opposing party. That seems like a slam dunk abuse of power case similar to the Blagojevich case in Illinois. Perry has the right to a veto. Blagojevich had the right to appoint a senator. They do/did not have the right to sell those privileges.

He made it clear that he wouldn't veto if she performed the favor of stepping down for him. The right wing spin on this sure makes it sound rosier, but any logical reading of the facts puts it clear into public corruption territory. The thing that's worrying is that the circumstances surrounding the person in question are going to cloud the judgement of quite a lot of people.

Perry was really smart in his choice of timing for gutting that office. People get hung up on the "3 agencies" thing from the GOP primary last cycle when he was hopped up on meds, but the guy is clearly not someone to be taken lightly on his home turf. I think he's quite a bit more shrewd than people give him credit for, but I do think he's probably out of his depth when it comes to national politics. He's not a genius, but he's not Sarah Palin either.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 17, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc

ReindeerF posted:

Perry's going to double down and start wearing loafers and a scarf now.

Maybe he'll join Blue October as well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm watching Melissa Williams-Perry on MSNBC right now, and I have to say. This is some of the worst, most painful "journalism" that I've recently seen.

- Asking politicians to openly speculate after they've stated they don't know (in relation to how many buildings have been burned in Ferguson)
- Openly speculating and "just asking questions" herself
- Ties Hillary Clinton to Jay Nixon and wonders if that reflects on Hillary Clinton as President
- Asks ham-fisted leading questions

I'm stunned she is being allowed to do this.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Boon posted:

Why? Yellow journalism is the bedrock of the global news media, so this is par for the course.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Obama Bad!" is the expected level thanks to Fox and the entire right wing radio bubble, that's considered Important People Being Serious in comparison by that entire demographic.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Venusian Weasel posted:

- The administration deliberately changed the talking points to mask the hide the fact that a terrorist attack occurred ahead of the election. Wrong. The truth of the attack worked its way up the chain of intelligence just as Rice was going on the talk shows. Obama had also previously given a Rose Garden speech describing it as "an act of terror".

Not to mention the politifact-bait pedantic argument that somehow "act of terror" was somehow a meaningfully different description of the event than "terrorist attack".

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Boon posted:

My personal favorite:

-Asks her guest a question and within five seconds interrupts their response.

Get a stopwatch and you could turn it into a drinking game.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Boon posted:

I'm watching Melissa Williams-Perry on MSNBC right now, and I have to say. This is some of the worst, most painful "journalism" that I've recently seen.

- Asking politicians to openly speculate after they've stated they don't know (in relation to how many buildings have been burned in Ferguson)
- Openly speculating and "just asking questions" herself
- Ties Hillary Clinton to Jay Nixon and wonders if that reflects on Hillary Clinton as President
- Asks ham-fisted leading questions

Do you mean Melissa Harris Perry? I'm not trying to be snarky.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Phenylketonuric posted:

My personal favorite:

-Asks her guest a question and within five seconds interrupts their response.

Get a stopwatch and you could turn it into a drinking game.

The Chris Matthews school of television journalism.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

ThirdPartyView posted:

Why? Yellow journalism is the bedrock of the global news media, so this is par for the course.

The pulitzer prize is named after a dude who bullshitted an entire war,it's always been like this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Spatula City posted:

This is more important as a political move than as a legal thing. Perry won't go to prison, but this might wreck his presidential ambitions.

First Christie now Perry :tinfoil:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So what's Rand Paul going to be busted for? C'mon, wild speculation time.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Violating some kind of endangered species act for whatever that thing on his head was before he killed it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Necc0 posted:

First Christie now Perry :tinfoil:

These ascendent Republican heirs-apparent keep turning out to be horrible scumbags; it's the weirdest thing. :raise:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Warcabbit posted:

Kidnapping a woman to appease the great Aqua Buddha.

Oh wait, he already did that.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Warcabbit posted:

Literally beating a black man to death with a golden dildo when confronted about his Civil Rights Act stance?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I honestly don't think Perry is going to suffer politicially for this in particular. His voters see it as exactly what a good politician should be doing - using his power to force out the "bad guys", and when he can't using it to cripple them and the organizations they lead.

Hell, this is what a good chunk of congress was recently elected almost explicitly to do.

He's going to be hailed for having the courage to stand up to the Democratic legal machine and its threats.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

loquacius posted:

These ascendent Republican heirs-apparent keep turning out to be horrible scumbags; it's the weirdest thing. :raise:

If you ask a Republican, they'll just say the Democrats are doing the groundwork for the 2016 election. The investigations are just a partisan smear tactic, designed to make the unwashed masses associate Republicans in general with corruption. To them, there's nothing wrong with the candidates (well, aside from Christie being a RINO), they're just successful Republicans having their characters assassinated by the librul mass media.

Meanwhile, Ferguson police releasing the convenience store footage was not in any way a character assassination because it just showed Brown got what was coming to him.

EDIT:

Ballz posted:

Kidnapping a woman to appease the great Aqua Buddha.

Oh wait, he already did that.

Funny you bring that up, they're already describing it as an unsubstantiated charge brought up by wacko leftists who are happy to lie to the media in order to destroy Paul's reputation.

Literally any charge you bring up against these people will be dismissed as unsubstantiated character assassination.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 17, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It almost looks like '16 is going Romney/Rauner's way.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
You really think Romney will run again?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Brannock posted:

Oh he's totally running. He's been running since 2000 and for now it looks like Jeb Bush is his only viable competition.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Romney 2020: Third Fourth time's the charm!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brannock posted:

The Romney = Nixon comeback poo poo has been touted for a little while now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

Rubio too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Evil Fluffy posted:

But we've never stopped kicking Romney around!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Losing for looking bad should (god I hope) be easier to come back from than losing for sounding bad.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Mitt Romney attempts would have been perfect before the internet.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ErIog posted:

Perry was really smart in his choice of timing for gutting that office. People get hung up on the "3 agencies" thing from the GOP primary last cycle when he was hopped up on meds, but the guy is clearly not someone to be taken lightly on his home turf. I think he's quite a bit more shrewd than people give him credit for, but I do think he's probably out of his depth when it comes to national politics. He's not a genius, but he's not Sarah Palin either.

As governor Perry has proven himself to be exceptionally skilled in precisely two things: influence peddling and keeping that influence peddling verbal & in back rooms so he can't get nailed on it.

He's not an exceptional schemer, not all that amazing of a speaker, and seems prone to being a bit impulsive in his actions/policies leading to him to miscalculate how they will play to the general public. But none of that has mattered through a combination of luck and because his administration has the support of those who are quite happy to spend the money needed to make up for those deficiencies come election time in return for favorable treatment from the state (Texas doesn't have a limitation on direct political donations). He has been able to dole out this favorable treatment via the network of loyalists he has been stuffing into every single appointed state position that has come open and the Texas Enterprise Fund. If you aren't in the Perry graft machine then you are SOL.

Any future governor is going to have to spend years and years cleaning house of the loyalists that Perry has installed.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

As governor Perry has proven himself to be exceptionally skilled in precisely two things: influence peddling and keeping that influence peddling verbal & in back rooms so he can't get nailed on it.

Hm, I could have sworn there was a third thing he was exceptionally skilled at, but it's not coming to me.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

He needs to get the vice-presidency first for that.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hm, I could have sworn there was a third thing he was exceptionally skilled at, but it's not coming to me.

I love you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Been getting a lot of mileage out of that remarkable gaffe lately, and I don't see it going stale anytime soon.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I've seen this joke so many times since the charges came out and it is still funny.

The guy completely beefed it in a republicans only debate. Imagine how terrible he would be against an actual opponent

(He could have named pretty much and government agency that came to mind)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Defenestration posted:

The guy completely beefed it in a republicans only debate. Imagine how terrible he would be against an actual opponent

Yeah, when you've got Ron Paul clowning you, smiling and making "HE CRAZEE" hand gestures while you draw a blank on national TV, you done hosed up.

Speaking of which, did Ron Paul ever actually say "IT'S HAPPENING!" with respect to anything, or was that just something people thought would be amusing to go with his animated .gif form?

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I don't get this joke. A little help?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

MickeyFinn posted:

Rick Perry not being able to name 3 federal agencies that he wanted to get rid of as President.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

MickeyFinn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByGf8lP87HU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^^ what this guy posted

ThirdPartyView posted:

Rick Perry not being able to name 3 federal agencies that he wanted to get rid of as President at all.

even to the point of not being able to desperately pull a third one out of his rear end as he foundered in a Republican primary debate.

It is also referred to simply as "oops"

• Locked thread