Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TVarmy posted:

no, you don't understand, the market's being unfair!

the market is being distorted by everyone participating in it regulation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This is actually bullish

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=744639.20

quote:

This is actually bullish

Obvious whale dump to incite panic, what few weak hands remain are folding, panic on the speculation board. Won't be long now.

quote:

I like it. Rich get richer, weak hands lose everything. Before the last bubble it dropped down to 60$ and the ATH turned out to be 1200$. Even if we drop down to 333$ then a comparable next bubble would ATH at 6666$ and BTW a drop down to 333$ would be proportionally equal to the pirate40's default in August 2012. Everything is normal

quote:

I was not this excited when we dipped below 400. It feels different this time. And well, if it isn't, more coins for my fiat next month. Either way it's a win.

quote:

This SUCKS. Won't get fiat into the exchange until in 3 days Sad

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guys I know that a decentralized currency is superior but maybe we should form some sort of regulatory body that sets price floors so that I don't lose all of my money???

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Bitcoin markets i knew i was forgetting a thing to do this morning. Their daily discussion is a pile of infighting right now:

FeedthemcakeLong-term Holder 36 points 6 hours ago

The doom and gloom in here is wild. Watching human psychology on a graph and in thoughts displayed here is fascinating.

KibubikBearish 18 points 5 hours ago

Today is the first day I've ever seen real despair around here.

People are losing their poo poo.

Beetle559 16 points 5 hours ago

The worst part is that coins are moving from the hands of little guys to big guys on days like today. Same old story I guess.

This is a real "blood in the streets" day.

ciscofrisco 3 points 4 hours ago

Ha, prolly a good time to buy! Personally I don't think there's any chance of hitting 340 like in April whatever happens they'll be another run up just need a catalyst. I don't think we will hit any new all time highs but seems like low 800s or high 700s could be possible by the end of the year. I'm thinking 2ndQ of 2015 before we see a new all time high. Till then it's just a cycle despair and praise

UnderpaidBIGtimeBullish 6 points 4 hours ago

"Personally I don't think there's any chance of hitting 340 like in April"

Oh wait...Btc-e $309

ciscofrisco 5 points 4 hours ago*

I just watch coinbase cause if I were to cash out it would not be through shady Btc-e

chrisidoneBullish 24 points 6 hours ago

I should have never invested all that money these past 9 months... Was it worth the risk? It feels like I've done a complete failure... I forget what the price is anymore... I wake up each morning, check the price and laugh at myself literally. Dam it hurts...

What is worse is knowing that I believe in bitcoin and the viability it can provide one day. Yet it seems like adoption will never catch on.

minimalniemandLong-term Holder 10 points 5 hours ago

they're shaking the weak hands like nurses in an hospice

ibankbtc 8 points 10 hours ago*

Market update:

Market is consolidating at the lows. Market did bounce yesterday, but sold off fast. Simply put, bulls are weak at this price. In bull's case, although not probable, we need to retest 500 and breakout above, creating some sort of double bottom for recovery.

During a down trend (I know some believe otherwise), it is best to follow the trend and short the bounces just like in a bull market, you buy high, sell higher.

I shorted some more Bitcoins yesterday at 500 yesterday, was away from computer to do an update.
(ed note: the gently caress is this guy going on about?)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Understanding bitcoin price going down and what you can do to about it. (self.BitcoinMarkets)

submitted 8 hours ago * by flibbrMarketplaceBullish

Why is China dumping the poo poo out of BTC ?

Chinas Miners

Well, we know the chinese make the mining parts, thus they have access to the latest mining chips first and cheaper than anyone else... and their labour is cheap. We know the chinese have big mining operations...

Maybe these Chinese miners are just unloading some coins.. they put up more for sale when it goes down.. people see thick asks chasing down and just keep unloading.

The Chinese Mentality

IF you saw the November run up, you'd see how China rallied... there was no exercising self restraint, no self control, literally sideways.. then explode absolutely completely and utterly vertical. This is typical of their gambling mentatility.. they buy.. sell.. see it going up.. buy more.. sell.. its still going up.. repeat and repeat and repeat until it is so vertical it just completely collapses..

What were seeing right now is the opposite in momentum.. they sell... buy.. see its going lower.. sell again... buy.. see its going lower.. sell again.. and they will just keep going with this momentum until the buy momentum can kick back so strong, with so many people being out of position, it can shift it in a long term momentum reversal.

Chinese take profits

Chinese trade. Unlike USD exchanges which buy, hodl... hoping for more up.. the chinese are very agressive in how they trade... If a USD exchange goes up.. alot of people will hodl, expecting more up.. if the Chinese see it going down.. they will sell, bank profits from the rally.. then others see it going down and want to bank profits from the rally also.. and thus the whole cycle continues until it has fully retrace... but by then, bearish momentum is strong.. and it goes lower.. and those buys they just bought ? Well fk they don't want to be bag holding.. so they're selling again.

But why oh why?

People keep saying, "why is price going down?" .. with coindesk reporting things like "bitstamp changes it bank could be causing sell offs".... also, "no clear cause" and "china's markets mirror US" and "margin trading causes price crash" .. hopefully I don't need to actually explain how stupid all of these ideas are to anyone here. I've also heard other things like, "could etherum be the result of the sell off".. again.. hopefully this isn't nessesary to explain away... But really, you want to know why the sell off ?

Its because there isn't enough demand to satisfy supply. Its that simple.
I mean look, we went up toe $680 on that bullish break of the bearish trend line from the $1200 peak.. it was a purely technical break and even with all the good news, it fizzled hard. Since then, we went back up.... we tried "hodling" waiting for more buyers to show up... but they didn't. So we just went sideways until the hodling wore thin and slowly gravity took its tool. Now, this huge sell off is the realisation by people that all that +$600 time hodling hoping for new buyers that never turned up is not going to take the price up... so people started selling, and now, the selling is people doing 'capital preservation', they are just locking in profits.

So how can we get the price to go up so I can get rich?

Basically, Bitcoin is brilliant because it is decentralised [One man, Gavin controls source updates!]. . . but it also means.. collectively we have a HUGE pool of vested interest in people building things for bitcoin, promoting bitcoin and working on and for bitcoin. So if you want Bitcoin to go up in value, the best thing you can do, is get off this reddit sitting on your arse reading bubble watch every day living off hopium and actually use whatever skillset you have, to help further embed BTC into society. The more people that come in, the more people use bitcoin, the more valuable the network and thus bitcoin becomes.

We have to provide a reason for people to actually want to buy BTC.. and I don't mean a reason for people who think the Gov is going to collapse or the USD to collapse, I mean your everyday plumber joe.

People say, "bitcoin is like the internet".. "bitcoin is like email".. "bitcoin is like early facebook S curve" .. but think about those things..
When average joes saw the internet, they wanted to use it, they didn't have to understand it, they just wanted to surf pages looking up knowledge... playing games and so on. When average joes saw email, they wanted to use it, it instantly made communication instant and was so much more efficient means of communication.
When people saw facebook, they just wanted to use it because it had their friends on, they could share their pictures..etc... it fulfilled a need.

Now.. with bitcoin, people say, 'ah yeah its great, but I can already buy stuff with my debit card and I have fraud protection' and so on... people don't jump to bitcoin instantly because they don't know why they need it [yet].. sure, maybe the gov will come and start taking their money, their country has run away inflation.. whatever, but 99% of people see facebook and want to go on it.... 99% of people see bitcoin and say, 'but yeah why do I want it?' . . these are things we have to confront, address and solve.

EDIT: Come and talk to me and others now on Google hangout; https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/g7wfwdpmu2k6badobajwhpiu5aa - All are welcome, please bring your mic.

hhhhhhhiiiiiii 23 points 5 hours ago

Frankly, this analysis is racist. All Chinese traders cannot be lumped into one box like this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sellers: Stop selling! Buyers: Stop Buying! Thus, we will reach the moon.

Bitcoinworm posted:

Sellers!

People i know that some of you are behind this wild selling. But I would like to point to you that we still have a lot of ways to go with bitcoin. And selling at this point would only make the road tardier. We have a goal, to jump 1,000 dollars and beyond. This is my dreams and yours, we have a dream people. If you sell now at these prices you would be giving up on that dream.

Surely this selling has got to stop, it's confusion. I know it's everyone on it's own, and that it's a free market full of competition, but let's unite for a common goal. This common goal which is of us all. No is a powerful word, say NO to selling at these prices, refuse. If we all unanimously refuse, if we all stand resolute at this hour of adversity we'll bring value back into bitcoin.

To buyers

You have to protest, protest against this market, set your buy orders high, high into the sky, up at 2,000 and above, refuse to buy any lower, show the market that bitcoin has more value than this and that you are ready to pay great sums, take one for the community. This attitude of cannibalizing on others fears and feeding on others angsts hinders bitcoin's growth.

Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i just love how they call everyone bears, bulls and wales

it just seems so cult like

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Guys if we all just set our buy orders at $10,000 then bitcoin will instantly go to the moon, come on sheeple!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
bitcoin losing a hundred bucks the same week as GenCon can't be a coincidence

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

LethalGeek posted:

the hodling wore thin and slowly gravity took its tool

rotorrrrrrrrr

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

QuarkJets posted:

Guys if we all just set our buy orders at $10,000 then bitcoin will instantly go to the moon, come on sheeple!

And by we, I mean the community at large. you missed the point if you think "we" means "me"

For people obsessed with rational self interest, they sure do demand people act against their own all the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LethalGeek posted:

people see thick asks chasing down and just keep unloading.

what is this

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
i am pretty amazed at how these people don't understand what an exchange like this is

"buy at $2000 so that we can get the price to $2000, then you can sell at $2000 and, uh..."

the WHOLE POINT of exchanges is that you can't manipulate the price without a dominant share in the thing, and everyone buys at the lowest price they can, and sells at the highest they can

they simply dont understand that its a marketplace - they think of the price as being set by a central authority and buyers and sellers manipulate it. no, that price exists in the minds of the buyers and sellers

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

haveblue posted:

what is this

im a man who likes a thick ask

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
all bad bitcoin happenings can be explained by THE MYSTERIES OF THE ORIENT

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

i am pretty amazed at how these people don't understand what an exchange like this is

yeah same i'll add it to the lisERROR DRIVE C:\ IS FULL DELETE ONE OR MORE FILES TO FREE DISK SPACE AND TRY AGAIN

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Boxturret posted:

yeah same i'll add it to the lisERROR DRIVE C:\ IS FULL DELETE ONE OR MORE FILES TO FREE DISK SPACE AND TRY AGAIN

this wouldnt happen if u used a blcokchain

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

so Tim Six Californias Draper bought 30,000 buttcoins at an assumed $650 each (market price at the time of the auction), or more than $19 million dollars. He's down 5.7 million dollars so far

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

im a man who likes a thick ask

Text me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

Its because there isn't enough demand to satisfy supply. Its that simple.
bitcoin is inflationary?????????

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Robawesome posted:

so Tim Six Californias Draper bought 30,000 buttcoins at an assumed $650 each (market price at the time of the auction), or more than $19 million dollars. He's down 5.7 million dollars so far

he's also down to about 4.06 californias

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

theflyingorc posted:

"buy at $2000 so that we can get the price to $2000, then you can sell at $2000 and, uh..."

the WHOLE POINT of exchanges is that you can't manipulate the price without a dominant share in the thing, and everyone buys at the lowest price they can, and sells at the highest they can

they simply dont understand that its a marketplace - they think of the price as being set by a central authority and buyers and sellers manipulate it. no, that price exists in the minds of the buyers and sellers

Well, they really, really think that a group of nefarious whales is manipulating the price in order to buy cheap coins. Because, why sell bitcoin otherwise?

This is the dump and pump theory. Notice that the following idiot doesn't even get that:

quote:

Am I wrong to think Bitcoin whales should be ashamed of themselves?
Today at 04:19:05 PM

I mean how much more coins do you need, the vast majority of Bitcoins are still owned by a circle of only a few thousand people, do they really feel the need to pump and dump just to get more? At what point is enough is enough, hell i'd appreciate it more if they brought some of that BTC into the alt game if they really want to play around and pump some other coins up for profit, at least seed the money around elsewhere in the crypto world if you want to make more BTC.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

trucutru posted:

Well, they really, really think

are you sure about that?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

what is this

:gizz:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Linguica fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 18, 2014

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

haveblue posted:

what is this

i like big buttcoins

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
why is btc-e 25 bucks less than all the other exchanges

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

why is btc-e 25 bucks less than all the other exchanges

it must be impossible to get money in/out of btc-e right now

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

LethalGeek posted:

People say, "bitcoin is like the internet".. "bitcoin is like email".. "bitcoin is like early facebook S curve" .. but think about those things..
When average joes saw the internet, they wanted to use it, they didn't have to understand it, they just wanted to surf pages looking up knowledge... playing games and so on. When average joes saw email, they wanted to use it, it instantly made communication instant and was so much more efficient means of communication.
When people saw facebook, they just wanted to use it because it had their friends on, they could share their pictures..etc... it fulfilled a need.

Now.. with bitcoin, people say, 'ah yeah its great, but I can already buy stuff with my debit card and I have fraud protection' and so on... people don't jump to bitcoin instantly because they don't know why they need it [yet].. sure, maybe the gov will come and start taking their money, their country has run away inflation.. whatever, but 99% of people see facebook and want to go on it.... 99% of people see bitcoin and say, 'but yeah why do I want it?' . . these are things we have to confront, address and solve.

poo poo that's worryingly insightful

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

jre posted:

poo poo that's worryingly insightful

pretty soon they'll have figured out basic stone tools and then we're all in deep trouble

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Heresiarch posted:

pretty soon they'll have figured out basic stone tools and then we're all in deep trouble
lick that monolith, arthur

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
looks like the post chain needed a good prune so that we can have new laugh blooms

• Locked thread