Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

GILF Hunter posted:

Listen, if this is a monumental failure in my career and I end up working at Taco Bell for the rest of my life, then maybe that's just the way it's meant to be.

There's no way you believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

kidhash posted:

There's no way you believe this.

You're 100% right: I firmly believe that something else will come along.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Apparently not, since you're insistent on taking none of the advice in this thread unless it conforms with your preconceived notions.

This is what happened completely. I hope the OP lands a job and I hope he reports back his progress.

I agree that others will find this one useful.

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

GILF Hunter posted:

You're 100% right: I firmly believe that something else will come along.

I hope you're right, but most of the wisdom in this thread doesn't seem to be on your side. What makes you so confident?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

GILF Hunter posted:

I'm proud I turned my life around, and am fully aware that I need to now take steps to continue to move along.

Getting a masters' degree without any relevant offers of employment isn't 'turn[ing] your life around'.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

blah_blah posted:

Getting a masters' degree without any relevant offers of employment isn't 'turn[ing] your life around'.
Depends on how low the reference point is. You talk about your past kind of ominously, OP. Were you in prison for breaking peoples' kneecaps or something?

edit: there's also the possibility that he used to be gainfully employed, in which case he has in fact turned his life around :v:

But seriously, though I think turning down that job offer was boneheaded, I hope you're able to find something, so good luck.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 17, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
He's a typical rich kid, but won't admit it. Before his parents business was so lovely (or good) that they didn't even pay themselves a salary, but a few posts ago he goes on about how successful it is.

I'm more inclined to believe your parents have done very well, the first big red flag is that they're OK with 100% supporting the OP's 30 year old arse AND supporting his decision to not take a decent paying job because he might get lonely.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006
I read all pages of this thread and it's truly wonderful. Wish all my applicants posted an SA thread like this. My advice to you is to go back and live with your parents while you wait for something better. You do not belong in the job market without a serious attitude adjustment. Someone useful to society might love this offer and use it to their advantage. Plus side: nobody doing hiring will have to waste their time with you. Go wait for the job you think you deserve. Seriously, go wait for it. It'll come looking for you if you're as badass as you think you are. If not "going back to school" is always an option so you can push off real life for a few more years.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Why was this thread even posted? OP if you knew what you wanted to do before you posted this why bother going through the effort of posting up all that crap? What a pointless, weird thread.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Wow. Well I must say it always makes me more hopeful that if something happens to my job there are idiots like this that I'm competing with to make my life easier.

OP I bet you spend a lot of time either A) playing video games, or B) drinking overpriced drinks. Am I wrong? gently caress I've had to live with my parents too, but I spent almost every waking moment trying to make money and also increasing my actual work experience and skills. I took the most awful loving job being a cable installer, which is well beneath my skills, but I actually have an ounce of respect for myself and my family.

But at least now you won't be lonely for a few months (since you're so confident you can find another job that quickly). :stare:

Get a grip and have a modicum of self awareness of your unemployed living at home with mom and dad going nowhere fast situation.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!
This thread has turned into a source of entertainment I see. And since my "ominous past" has led to allegations of being a rich kid or breaking someone’s kneecaps, I thought I’d clarify.

In 2004, I moved to this city to be near a girl that I had been dating for almost 5 years. She was here for college. I worked in a grocery store in the photo lab, a position that I genuinely enjoyed, and was planning a college-less career with said store. However, shortly thereafter, the photo lab closed -- advances in technology and all, and I was stuck into another department which I didn't particularly enjoy. As I’m sure you’re all aware, working retail can be pretty lovely.

The girl broke up with me about a year later. I had planned to ask said girl to marry me in the coming months; the depression put me in a downward spiral – I started drinking heavily (and I had never even touched alcohol before I was 21), and it ultimately cumulated with me trying to commit suicide at age 23 -- and failing. If you've never experienced depression or regularly laugh at people that suffer from it, that will probably influence your opinion of me. That's fine.

After seeking medical help, and some recovery time, I enrolled in college for the first time at age 24. I completed my BS, and then eventually my MA, establishing new friends and relationships along the way. This is why I say I’m proud I turned my life around. I went from the literal bottom of the barrel to successfully graduating, twice, and working all through school to support myself.

My dad had a realization in the midst of all this that life is too short. He quit his accounting job to pursue his dream – the small business which he currently owns and operates. Yes, it is a successful business, and yes it is for-profit (as it should be), but it also gives back to the community in which it is located in various ways.

I hope this helps to clarify why being in a place in which I’m happy is important to me. Nothing has been handed to me like many seem to assume. I worked hard to recover from some of the awful decisions I made in my 20’s. I can't change those things that happened; all I can do is what I think is best for me, as I fully expect you all do for yourselves.

Now, if this thread has taught me that my education is less valuable than originally perceived, alright. I can say I wasn't born knowing that, and the advice is extremely beneficial. I’ll accept that and my future career decisions will reflect it.

I hope everyone is still entertained.

GILF Hunter fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 17, 2014

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Is there anyway to replicate what your dad does in Doublewideville? Seems like the kind of place that needs it and you sure sound like you like doing it.

Well, not that it matters anymore.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GILF Hunter posted:

I hope everyone is still entertained.
Why do you think you are so special? Just based on the stats, at least 20 people who have posted in this thread have fought depression and a large portion of those have beat it. Just about everyone here (over 30) has made dumb decisions in their 20s and had to pull themselves together to get past it.

What most people in this thread don't have is the family resources behind them to continue to gently caress up and have it covered. You need to go thank your parents today that they have made the sacrifices to be able to support you now. And then you need to go pay your dues to move up to the place in life that you think you belong in.

If you're still suffering from depression, I'm sorry. It sucks. And if you're not healthy enough for a comprehensive job hunt, you need to level with yourself, admit it, and get the help you need. That's priority number one.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2014

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

GILF Hunter posted:

The girl broke up with me about a year later. I had planned to ask said girl to marry me in the coming months; the depression put me in a downward spiral – I started drinking heavily (and I had never even touched alcohol before I was 21), and it ultimately cumulated with me trying to commit suicide at age 23 -- and failing. If you've never experienced depression or regularly laugh at people that suffer from it, that will probably influence your opinion of me. That's fine.
First lesson: Don't hang so much of your happiness or self-worth on anyone else. Many of us build our lives with another person, but we also have to be able to function without that person. That person needs to be able to trust that you won't try to commit suicide if they leave, if they find someone else, or if they die. I hope you're better about that now, but it's good to remind yourself anyway.

Second lesson: Forgive yourself for mistakes, learn from them, and move on. Don't use it as an excuse to shield yourself from imperfect situations forever. I think you should have taken this job especially because of your past, because it's when we challenge ourselves that we discover who we are and how we can live. We all have to learn to live with our mistakes.

You're lucky to have a safety net that you can use if you need it. That also means you have no excuse not to work under inconvenient conditions. See if you adapt to those conditions well or if you really do hate it. Try out something that isn't ideal for a couple of months. If you still hate it? No harm done, just quit and try again. But try to make it work for that time.

My friend I mentioned before, who works in your general field, she actually has a similar history (a suicide attempt followed by being sheltered by her parents). She worked hard to recover from that, and she also had to start her career later than she would've liked. You have to be willing to do the extra legwork to carve out your career under those circumstances. Her first "career" job paid her $5,000 for a full year of work (seriously), it involved a ton of manual labor, and she had to work as a waitress on the side to pay the bills. She made that her foot in the door. Nothing is easy when you start out. Go out there and make an opportunity for yourself, even if it means doing fieldwork to get a start.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
If you haven't tried meds for your depression, I highly recommend it, they definitely helped kick my brain out of depression mode.

More storytime since this is hilariously relevant to the thread:

In February we're hiring candidates for SAT prep. This guy writes back asking if he might be able to teach math in May when he graduates:

February email from job candidate posted:

Cordial greetings.

How much work is there for someone with several years of experience tutoring undergraduate math? I am finishing up my PhD right now, and it's very possible I'll need some extra work to supplement my income, particularly if I find myself working as an adjunct professor.

I've taught calculus labs (all levels) on several occasions, so I'm confident I can handle the material. Starting in 2010, I spent four to ten hours tutoring undergrads one-on-one every week, in addition to teaching and grading for other classes (always at least one calculus course). I'll almost certainly be available for evenings and weekends, starting in May, and if I don't find anything else, I might be able to work extremely long hours. After all, I need to make ends meet somehow, and teaching math is what I do best.

Thank you for your consideration. I've attached my resume, if that matters.
Well, as you could guess if you took two seconds to think about it, we're not hiring academic tutors in May since students finish classes in May. You know, like he'll be finishing classes in May. So I tell him we don't hire academic tutors until the fall.

May email from job candidate posted:

Cordial greetings, Moana.

I email you about tutoring work a few months ago, so I am checking in now to make sure everything is still fine.

I did, indeed, finish my PhD, but I have not managed to find a job yet. As things stand, I will likely still need work as soon as I can find it.
I am in San Diego now, too, so I can go about finding a library for reference books, since there are a few subjects that would be unpleasant to try to tutor without a reference. Right now, I am living next door to SDSU, and it turns out I can use their library.

Thank you for your consideration, and if I don't get a really good offer soon, I'll look forward to working at your company.
Hahahahaha well, not gonna hire him ever. What a great closing line, though, huh?

Today's email from job candidate posted:

Cordial greetings.

You said to contact you around this time if I needed work, and I am still looking around. Does your company have a bit more business at this time of year? (I assume so.) I've been doing some part-time tutoring in the evening lately, but it isn't enough to pay the bills, and I desperately need more if I am to make ends meet.

Please let me know if there are are work opportunities for me with your company. I've attached another copy of my resume. Thank you.
Incredible.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

moana posted:

Cordial greetings.

You can call me pedantic if you want, but this right here is where he lost me. I expect you must get a lot of "Salutations!" or equally nerdy openers.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, I'm hiring math and science tutors, I gotta be a little lenient on that front.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!

GILF Hunter posted:

No, see, that's NOT fine at all. You shouldn't be enabling and allowing people to judge you based on your illness. I'm also going to go ahead and broadly make the assumption that nobody that's posted here so far is a total douchebag that would look down on someone for being depressed and/or find that sort of thing funny.

I suggest that you may not be as far along with your depression as you believe. I assume you've been through treatment for your condition, but if not I highly recommend doing so. Depression and anxiety (not saying you are necessarily anxious as well, but they're frequently comorbid) are horrible lovely feelings, but they can be overcome, either through therapy, meds, or preferably both.

GILF Hunter
Dec 3, 2005

Chairman Meow
leads us forward!

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Forgive yourself for mistakes, learn from them, and move on.

This is my mindset and has been for many years.

TwoSheds posted:

No, see, that's NOT fine at all. You shouldn't be enabling and allowing people to judge you based on your illness. I'm also going to go ahead and broadly make the assumption that nobody that's posted here so far is a total douchebag that would look down on someone for being depressed and/or find that sort of thing funny.

I suggest that you may not be as far along with your depression as you believe. I assume you've been through treatment for your condition, but if not I highly recommend doing so. Depression and anxiety (not saying you are necessarily anxious as well, but they're frequently comorbid) are horrible lovely feelings, but they can be overcome, either through therapy, meds, or preferably both.

I know it's not fine, but my outlook on life has changed such that if someone wants to judge me for something that happened in the past and I've worked very hard to recover from, then gently caress 'em. That's a person I don't need in my life (or a member of a message board that I can easily ignore).

I may not be as far along as I would ever like, but I have had treatment and I am currently very satisfied with my mindset.

---

That said, the manager of the position sent me an email this morning letting me know that he thought "we could work great together" and to contact him if I reconsidered. I called him back shortly thereafter. One of the first things he said was "someone else offered you a better paying position, right?"

Orientation is next Monday ... and I'm being paid a slightly higher rate now.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who has offered insight.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good for you. Also it sounds like it is a pretty small office so you could have the opportunity to make the job whatever you want. Come with ideas, try to run with them. You may have great freedom and you may never see that again.

Also keep looking for that dream job you have in your mind.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

quote:

The "goon in a well" is an analogy used throughout GBS and E/N to describe goons with horrible relationship problems who refuse to take good advice.

OP: "Help! HELP! I'm stuck in a well!!!"
Goons1-4: "Climb! Climb up and take our hands!"
OP: "I'm thinking I should dig... should I dig?"
Goon5: "NO! I was trapped in a well, and digging is a bad idea! Climb out!"
Goons6-8: "Were lowering ropes! Take hold of a rope!"
Goon9: "I've even tied a harness to the end of this one!"
OP: "I can feel the ropes, but I don't want to hold onto them... should I dig?"
Goon10: "No! If you dig, you'll hit water, and then you'll be proper hosed. I should know, I almost drowned."
OP: "I dug a little bit just now, and I haven't hit water. I'm gonna keep digging..."
Goons11-18: "No! Climb! Climb out!"
OP: "Guys, I'm seriously stuck in this well! Help! HELP!!!"
Goon19: "I was trapped in a well once. It took me two years, but I managed to build a climbing machine that pulled me to safety out of a well bucket and a pocket watch. I'm dropping the blueprints, extra buckets, and an assortment of pocket watches."
Goon20: "I've engineered a jet-pack that will rocket you to safety. Stay where you are and we'll lower it down!"
OP: "Thanks for your help, guys. I'm gonna keep digging. I'll find the Mines of Moria and I'll just walk to the surface."
**Goons1-20 piss in the well**
Goon21: "Guys, seriously... stop peeing in the well."
Goon22:"Yeah, like any of you guys have even seen a real well, you neckbearded, WOW-addicted shut-ins."

Just going to leave this here in case OP hasn't seen it. This is you. You are goon in a well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Is the new town really only an hour's drive away from your old one? I don't really understand how that could make you feel trapped. I don't love driving either, and moved somewhere that I don't have to, but you could split the difference and be 40 minutes from home, and 20 minutes from work, that's really not the end of the world and there's no reason you can't hang out with your friends back home on weekends.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

GILF Hunter posted:

That said, the manager of the position sent me an email this morning letting me know that he thought "we could work great together" and to contact him if I reconsidered. I called him back shortly thereafter. One of the first things he said was "someone else offered you a better paying position, right?"

Thanks to everyone in this thread who has offered insight.

I'm glad you decided to take the job. Just try to go in next Monday with an open mind and maybe the job will surprise you. They seem like they really want to work with you, and that's always a good sign.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I'm not sure how I feel about this thread. I mean, there definitely was a heroes arc, and I still feel like the OP is an rear end in a top hat, but at least came to his senses eventually.

You definitely learned something I guess, but I mean....

I guess all I got is good luck, and congratulations on everything working out.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's great you went to school and all and didn't kill yourself, but more often than not no one cares about a graduate's degree.

I know you said you "didn't get a master's degree to stand in the road with an orange vest" but a lot of law school grads didn't go to law school to be unemployed or work jobs under 40k, and art school students don't pay over 100k for an art degree to work at Starbucks. Reality doesn't work the way you want it.

I'm glad to see it worked out and all but you were kind of playing with fire after having only one offer several months out of school.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Aug 18, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bugamol posted:

Just going to leave this here in case OP hasn't seen it. This is you. You are goon in a well.
Well he took the job, so not anymore.

Good choice OP. Good luck in your sign-holding endeavors. :)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I'm glad he took the job, but it's still a perfect example of "goon in the well mentality".

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Bugamol posted:

Your timing sucks.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Bugamol posted:

I'm glad he took the job, but it's still a perfect example of "goon in the well mentality".

Who cares? He took the job, stop clucking.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
I am glad that you were able to salvage the relationship. Now make sure you kick rear end and overdeliver to justify getting that promotion and flying up the ladder like you want to. It's more than possible (especially at small places), you just have to show them you deserve it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

OP I think you made a wise decision. You are in a much better position to reach your career goals than if you had passed on this job. It's best to bet on the sure thing than to hold out for the dream job that probably won't appear when you're coming right out of the gate. Even if this isn't your dream job, you're going to gain valuable professional experience and I bet you'll make some friends, too.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Did not see the twist ending coming! Good show.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

GILF Hunter posted:

Good for you! I'm glad you swallowed your pride and wrote back. I think in the long run you will be better off and I hope you respect the amount of humility you displayed to make the right move here, I know that probably wasn't easy but I think you deserve a pat on the back for it. This turned out incredibly well for you.

Buckle down, show your rear end through some good work. I recommend trying to find something in the job to make it worth your while and stick with it long enough to see a project through or master a skill, develop a process to standardize work or maybe try for a promotion before seeking opportunities to move on. It's a marathon. As long as you keep moving, you'll look back and see that every step counted and led to where you are now because you got something from the experience.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm glad you were able to get a second chance, and I hope it works out well for you and you have a decent day tomorrow. With any luck, it'll grow to be a much bigger opportunity than you feared it'd be.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The lesson of this thread is the learn to negotiate a salary properly. If they tell you their range is 36k to 42k, their actual range bottoms out at around 40k and they're hoping you're stupid enough to accept something around 40k. The real range probably around 40k to 50k. I recently started a job making 29% over what the absolute top end of their salary range was. It's all bullshit.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 24, 2014

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

GILF Hunter posted:

This really warmed my heart. I think this is the beginning of an epic tale where a lonely old man grooms you to be his protege, I'm imagining The Grand Budapest Hotel but instead of bellhopping we're land surveying in backwoods Alabama or wherever the OP is.

Good luck dude, work hard and use it as a stepping stone in a year. Who knows you might be running that town one day.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hayden. posted:

The lesson of this thread is the learn to negotiate a salary properly. If they tell you their range is 36k to 42k, their actual range bottoms out at around 40k and they're hoping you're stupid enough to accept something around 40k. The real range probably around 40k to 50k. I recently started a job making 29% over what the absolute top end of their salary range was. It's all bullshit.

This is not true in many cases. Public sector jobs especially so.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

spwrozek posted:

This is not true in many cases. Public sector jobs especially so.

Jobs where the salary is actually publicly available is obviously different. That advice is for most any corporate environment in the US.

SecurityManKillJoy
Sep 1, 2009
Taking the job was the best decision, seriously. I live in Seattle and only having a BS or an MS in a non-engineering role can make finding a job a pain in the rear end, I hear examples of this difficulty often.

I finally received a full-time supply chain planning job which only pays about what you're making now. I finished by BA two years ago, and did a business admin certificate last year while doing a garbage temp job at Microsoft. I also took the job even though there were no equivalent permanent ones at Microsoft besides getting a promotion to paralegal, but I needed to start getting work experience.

At the current job, which I had to "earn" by being a temp there for 4 months, I feel like I'm only really working for 2 to 4 hours per day out of the 8 hours, aside from re-reviewing invoices or other small issues that crop up in the day. So I'd like to be working a lot harder & using more skills, but I feel it's a good start. I feel the pay is way higher than the effort I have to put into the job to do it well, which should be a factor in taking a job or not.

It's not even completely related to my language-oriented, international economy-related field, but that just means I'm learning even more. I'd actually appreciate doing more social science-related field work such as going out & collecting price statistics or something; this is a 100% office job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

hayden. posted:

Jobs where the salary is actually publicly available is obviously different. That advice is for most any corporate environment in the US.

The op was only looking at public sector jobs.

• Locked thread