Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A buddy of mine recently sent his 50D into Adorama to see how much they would give him for it, and they weren't gonna give him much at all so he decided not to sell and they sent it back to him. But when he got it back from them, it had a Tamron 70-300 on it, a lens that he never owned and didn't send in with the camera originally :mmmhmm:

Nice!

I've found the best thing to do is to sell the camera second hand to someone on Craigslist or something. I tried to send my t4i to BH and they essentially said they'd give me 100 dollars in credit.

Screw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Wild EEPROM posted:

But the quality of a $15 filter is poor so it would be better to put another $250 uv on top, then protect that with the $15 one.

Just send me $125 and the lens and you saved $390 at once.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
I'm pretty excited. Managed to snag a refurbished TS-E 24mm during the recent sale for $1500. Just got it and it's in mint condition, no signs of use. Beats paying $2200 for a new one.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I'm pretty excited. Managed to snag a refurbished TS-E 24mm during the recent sale for $1500. Just got it and it's in mint condition, no signs of use. Beats paying $2200 for a new one.

That's a great price for a ridiculously fun lens.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
99% of the time I'm shooting fashion & portraits outside. I've been using my cheapo 50mm 1.8 and it's usually fine, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations around $500 or less?

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

triplexpac posted:

99% of the time I'm shooting fashion & portraits outside. I've been using my cheapo 50mm 1.8 and it's usually fine, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade. Anyone have any recommendations around $500 or less?

On what camera?

Preemptive suggestion of 85mm f/1.8!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

dorkanoid posted:

On what camera?

Preemptive suggestion of 85mm f/1.8!

Sorry, knew I forgot something!

I'm on a 5D classic, so full frame.

Edit: Wouldn't the 85mm require a fair bit of space to get a full body portrait even on a full frame? Or would you not use it for that situation.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 19, 2014

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Edit: Wouldn't the 85mm require a fair bit of space to get a full body portrait even on a full frame? Or would you not use it for that situation.

Well, you'd have to back up a few more steps than with the 50mm; I guess in a pinch the 40mm f/2.8 could be used - but otherwise for that price you're looking at the 50mm f/1.4s from Canon/Sigma.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

triplexpac posted:

Wouldn't the 85mm require a fair bit of space to get a full body portrait even on a full frame?

Yeah, but the results are worth it. A lot of people do portraits at 135 or 200mm. I like 85 for full body and 135 for headshots.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
A longer lense will give you smoother bokeh in the background, which is why people like using 135+ for head shots occasionally, if you've got the space of course.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

For a wide-ish angle lens on a FF, would you guys recommend the

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM

or maybe ditch those and use the sigma 35mm 1.4 for wider shots

or maybe the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 20, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Canon 35/2 or sig 35/1.4 Art if you want the added DoF control and don't mind the weight.

Sig 18-35 is for APS-C only iirc.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Bubbacub posted:

Yeah, but the results are worth it. A lot of people do portraits at 135 or 200mm. I like 85 for full body and 135 for headshots.

Fair enough! Thanks for the tips, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on the 85.

Is the Canon 85 the one to go with, or is this one of those cases where Sigma or Tamron have a better one for the same price / cheaper?

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

triplexpac posted:

Fair enough! Thanks for the tips, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on the 85.

Is the Canon 85 the one to go with, or is this one of those cases where Sigma or Tamron have a better one for the same price / cheaper?

It actually seems to be the opposite - the canon 85mm is cheaper than the sigma one. As online reviews go, they seem to be pretty equal in quality, with the canon slightly faster when autofocusing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Just get a used canon 85/1.8

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've never heard anyone suggest another 85 than the canon one. It's actually touted as one of the must-have lenses. I know I love mine to death and will go out of my way to shoot if I have the space to maneuver.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

For a wide-ish angle lens on a FF, would you guys recommend the

Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM

Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM

or maybe ditch those and use the sigma 35mm 1.4 for wider shots

or maybe the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM A
For what? Landscapes? Walk-around? I adore my TS-E 24mm for landscapes but you won't want it on the camera all the time.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

For what? Landscapes? Walk-around? I adore my TS-E 24mm for landscapes but you won't want it on the camera all the time.

For weddings mostly.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

KinkyJohn posted:

For weddings mostly.

Sigma 35 1.4. You'll need the aperture.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Unless he has one of the newer FF bodies.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Eh, I'd still rather have the extra stop for those weddings that are lit darker than a mammoth's rectum.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Speaking of weddings, I just rented a sigma 50-150 2.8 on my 50D and I liked it a lot. I'm missing a telephoto from my kit and was interesting in picking one up. I was tossing between the Sig 50-150 2.8 (discontinued), Sig 70-200 2.8, or possibly the Canon 70-200 2.8L (non IS) or 70-200 4L with IS.

I'm not looking to go FF any time soon but it wouldn't hurt if the lens could move with me if that ever happens and I think the 50-150 is the only lens that cant go FF. I used the 70-200 2.8L IS on a wedding prior and enjoyed that lens though I never actually used the IS. I'm trying to determine if it would be better to lose a few stops and go with the f4 with IS versus the 2.8 without, or just go Sigma and get both for the same price. Any thoughts would be helpful

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Verman posted:

Speaking of weddings, I just rented a sigma 50-150 2.8 on my 50D and I liked it a lot. I'm missing a telephoto from my kit and was interesting in picking one up. I was tossing between the Sig 50-150 2.8 (discontinued), Sig 70-200 2.8, or possibly the Canon 70-200 2.8L (non IS) or 70-200 4L with IS.

I'm not looking to go FF any time soon but it wouldn't hurt if the lens could move with me if that ever happens and I think the 50-150 is the only lens that cant go FF. I used the 70-200 2.8L IS on a wedding prior and enjoyed that lens though I never actually used the IS. I'm trying to determine if it would be better to lose a few stops and go with the f4 with IS versus the 2.8 without, or just go Sigma and get both for the same price. Any thoughts would be helpful

Personally, I'd go with one of the 70-200's, as I never understood the point of the 50-150. I get that it's supposed to be the APS equivalent of the 70-200's, but it's just as big and heavy, so I don't see why anyone would prefer it.

The F4 is significantly smaller, but if you want to use it in light starved situations a lot, the 2.8's are the way to go. If you want a smaller/cheaper telezoom to pair it with for situations where you can deal with f/slow, the new STM 55-250 is great and can be had for < 300$.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Huxley posted:

Yeah, I've never heard anyone suggest another 85 than the canon one. It's actually touted as one of the must-have lenses. I know I love mine to death and will go out of my way to shoot if I have the space to maneuver.

Really? I've heard its ok for the money but the samples I've seen have a ton of CA and fringing and it doesn't seem all that sharp wide open. The Sigma 85 1.4 is supposed to be much better and more comparable to the Canon 85 1.2 from what I've seen/read on the internet - like this for example

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Really? I've heard its ok for the money but the samples I've seen have a ton of CA and fringing and it doesn't seem all that sharp wide open. The Sigma 85 1.4 is supposed to be much better and more comparable to the Canon 85 1.2 from what I've seen/read on the internet - like this for example

Per that example, they're pretty equal by 2.8 in center, 4 in mid and 8 in the corners, and the Canon is a quarter the price (browsing eBay completed auctions).

So yeah, it's a lens people claim to love the colors on, is sharp stopped down a touch, and is a great value since they've been making them for over 20 years. It's a good answer to, "what's the best affordable portrait lens" in the system.

Not saying you're not 100 percent right on the Sigma being better on all points aside from price, though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The sigma is the obvious upgrade if you hate money. Never buy the 1.2. Actually never buy 1.2 anything.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what percentage of DSLR owners buy a second lens past the kit? I'd guess 50 percent.

I wonder what percentage of DSLR owners ever buy a lens that costs >$500. I bet it's like, 0.5 percent.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

The sigma is the obvious upgrade if you hate money. Never buy the 1.2. Actually never buy 1.2 anything.

I dunno this looks ok to me.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Huxley posted:

So yeah, it's a lens people claim to love the colors on, is sharp stopped down a touch, and is a great value since they've been making them for over 20 years. It's a good answer to, "what's the best affordable portrait lens" in the system.

Sure, that's true enough. Hard to beat that price on a decent standard prime.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

triplexpac posted:

It would require some distance to get a full body shot with the 85mm on FF, especially while maintaining a parallel or near parallel focal plane.

Shooting lots of fashion on full frame I find myself using a 50mm lens most of the time. When I want to minimize backgrounds or don't have to shoot full body, I jump right to 100mm but only because my 85mm is manual focus and mostly reserved for still life cause I don't have a focus confirm chip on that thing.

So the 85mm would likely be a good choice for you, unless you wanted to take a strong departure from your shooting style - I am assuming large spanning backgrounds aren't very important to your portraits and fashion images.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I was looking for faster ways to switch out primes on the go, and came across this kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1022605159/quikdraw-an-innovative-lens-holster

looks promising

edit: oh it's already been funded in 2012.

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 21, 2014

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Don't worry, he hasn't delivered yet.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
CanonRumors just posted this list of specs for the 7DII that they are "90% confident" about :

"CanonRumors posted:

Kit lenses: 18-135 IS STM and 15-85 IS STM (This would be a new lens)

CF, UDMA mode 7 + SD, UHS-I

No GPS or WiFi

Fixed LCD, with no touch function.

20.2MP “Fine Detail” CMOS Sensor (I want more information on this)

Dual Pixel CMOS AF

Dual DIGIC 6 Processors

65 AF points “All Cross-type”. Dual cross on the center point.

10fps

ISO 100-12800, ISO Boost mode 25600 and 51200

1080p/720p both get 60fps

Servo AF for video shooting.

Anti-flicker mode, eliminates flickers under flickering lights (e.g. fluorescent lamps).

Spot metering size 1.8%

Built-in flash with radio trigger function.

Mic and headphones connectors

Can sync time between 7D II cameras.

Lens electronic MF

About 100% coverage OVF

If true, its not super exciting imo. The sensor seems like its maybe a slightly tuned up 70D sensor so nothing to really write home about there and the rest just seems like a list of Things That Should Be In A Camera. The best part is the 65pt all cross AF system and I guess the built in radio flash trigger is cool even though that's something that should just exist in this day and age. Also, no wifi or touch screen? In the YOOL 2014? Madness.

I guess I'd been hoping the 7DII would be more of an APS-C 1D mark V than a suped-up 70D but, heh, Canon. If this thing comes in at >$2k I'm gonna poo poo myself laughing.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone who was expecting anything different than a 70D+ haven't been paying attention to Canon lately.

I mean the AF is really nice if you're a sports/birder and need it, but if you expected anything else revolutionary then you deserve to be disappointed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Fine detail sensor", if true, might mean a full RGB sensor. There were rumors of a multilayer sensor before.

Then again, it might just mean that there's no AA filter.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No AA sounds right. Also that AF module sounds neat, so does 10fps.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

65 AF points
10 fps
:circlefap:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

evil_bunnY posted:

No AA sounds right. Also that AF module sounds neat, so does 10fps.

Yeah I guess that would be cool if Sony hadn't already dropped a crop camera with a 79pt AF module, 12fps burst mode and a better sensor for under $1700 earlier this year. This spec list is basically the bare minimum Canon needs to do as the market share leader to update a 5 year old camera. I mean, I'm sure it'll sell like crazy because Canon but its a pretty lackluster offering. I guess it really just depends on what it gets priced at. $1500? Totally awesome deal, great camera. $2300? Hahaha no. Might as well get a 1DIV with a bigger APS-H sensor, better shutter, integrated grip, and pro weather sealing/build.

Combat Pretzel posted:

"Fine detail sensor", if true, might mean a full RGB sensor. There were rumors of a multilayer sensor before.

The rumor guys are saying its not the multilayer sensor and that they don't know what they mean by "fine detail"

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think they missed the boat on the wireless flash trigger built in too. I would have loved that years ago but now I can get a set of yongnuo ettl radio triggers for $80 that work with my non $550 flashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I don't see why they'd get rid of the articulating touch screen. I love that thing.